E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Smart TV - Whats the verdict?

11-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
jlspeed29
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SO ZCP CCB

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
Smart TV - Whats the verdict?

So I'm looking at getting a new TV and most of the new models offer this "SMART" feature...seems kinda gimmicky to me.

I just want a solid 50 inch tv under a grand.

What has been your experience or what do you know about smart tv?

I've been to the site but want real world answers in plain English..

thanks in advance!.

Edit...I'm thinking of just getting apple tv and hooking that up instead of the "SMART" feature.... and no I dont have netflix..in fact I cancelled them cause I didnt watch it enough.

Last edited by jlspeed29; 11-26-2013 at 09:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

meh IMO its useless, I don't see paying extra to have apps like Skype, Facebook, etc on my T.V.

For netflixs and other stuff I have my game consoles.

Plus, what if someone hacks it and watches you

Edit:
What is a smart TV? It's a tv that is more self aware. Think of it like a smart phone. It has normally a dedicated operating system for the TV, where you can install various apps (what apple TV does, for example). It normally has features such as a webcam, microphone, bluetooth.

Some of the more advanced TV's can use gesture based from the webcam to change channels, or even voice commands.
      11-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

A waste. Don't spend money on a "smart TV". Get an AppleTV and thank me later.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 12:34 AM   #4
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Imagine if someone could actually watch and listen to you from all the TV, computers, electronics etc... I'd hate to be the one having to watch me. The amount of fapping is ridiculous.
      11-27-2013, 12:35 AM   #5
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Screw smart tvs. If you have an Apple TV or xbox or play station or xbmc or newer blu ray player you don't need a smart tv.

For 1k I got a 65 inch samsung led from amazon on their Black Friday sale.
      11-27-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
I happen to like my Samsung Smart TV. I bought it open box and it didnt come with the horrible remote it should have, but I can connect the TV to my wifi and use my phone or iPod touch as the remote. A lot of the other features are kind of useless though. Netflix tends to have a bad skipping problem through the tv and other apps I just never touch. What I do like though is I can connect a hard drive to my tv with USB and watch movies right off of it. Also if you want better colors get a 3D tv. Even if you dont use the 3D, the technology that they use for it makes for better colors.
      11-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #7
Back in a Subie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited

Garage List
I am in a similar situation to the OP and in my search for a non-smart TV I found that all of the sets with the best picture quality come with the smart feature. Only a few companies like LG and RCA have non-smart options and it is on the low end of their ranges.

Best black Friday deals that I saw on highly rated TVs were a 60" Vizio e-series for $699 at Walmart guaranteed in stock between 6-7pm on Thanksgiving... or Best Buy has a 65" Samsung for $999 with free shipping but limited stock, on black Friday.

Last edited by Back in a Subie; 11-27-2013 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: to get cheeseburgers

I didn't think I would care for my LG smart tv at all, but it's actually been extremely convenient to just click on the Netflix and Amazon apps to watch movies and/or 12 seasons of Top Gear. Being able to watch shows online with the browser is also handy in desperate situations. The 3D feature is kind of cool for about one movie, but great for the kids if you have any. It's also very easy to just download the media manager app on my laptop and stream my library to the tv, and the Pandora app is nice if you don't have a stereo system etc. I sound like a bad Walmart reviewer, but given the reasonable pricing, I think it's definitely worth it.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Anyone look into Chromecast at all?
      11-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

good thread.

i plan on buying the Samsung UN75F6300, which is a 75" Smart TV in about 2 or 3 days.

i want the floor guys to come in here though to install our "handscraped hardwood" laminate flooring before i leave a new 75" tv in the living room.

all the reviews I've read say that this TV is one of the best bangs for the buck with above average picture quality.

it's only $2500 at Best Buy.....for a freaking 75"...

....AND, i got two kids that steal our phones and ipads to play on their apps and Netflix, so i'mn thinking the app hub on this TV will be great.

looks like our beloved 52" Samsung LN52A650 will be going into our room or the kid's room....

that LN52A650 was a top of the line TV back in 2008, it was one of the first TV's with the 120hz thing and the picture quality was stupid good - it was $2800 back in 2008 lol.

it has lasted TONS UPON TONS of hours and still looks amazing every time we watch it.

only reason it needs replacing is because we're going for size !!!!

i can't pass up a 75" for $2500...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #11
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

I have a 57'' Samsung Smart TV as my main unit for Xbox / Movies / Tv.

I only watch TV on it & play Xbox, though. I really only like the extras for when I have company, other than that, nothing gets used.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #12
bkM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 M3 Vert 6MT Carbon/Black

i have a 47'' samsung smart TV in my living room and i really only use it for netflix, HBO go, and getting fantasy football notifications while im watching the games .(awesome feature)

i have a non smart sharp 42 inch tv in my bedroom and use the chromecast to stream netflix and whatnot. for $35 you cant go wrong.

i wouldnt go crazy over smart vs not smart. just find a tv that you like and you can get a good deal on. if its not smart then just get a chromecast or roku box.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #13
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Love my Samsung Smart TV's (have 3). Before my first I wouldn't think I'd use it often as I have Xbox, PS, etc which I stream off of but I actually use the SmartHub more often than not. It's so much more convenient when dealing with Netflix, Hulu, etc.

It's especially convenient for the 'other rooms' where you're not going to want to put a console or apple tv.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #14
stimpy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
I paid $4800 for my 60" Samsung DLP (HLS6188) many years back. Prices now are ridiculous! lol
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #15
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
good thread.

i plan on buying the Samsung UN75F6300, which is a 75" Smart TV in about 2 or 3 days.

i want the floor guys to come in here though to install our "handscraped hardwood" laminate flooring before i leave a new 75" tv in the living room.

all the reviews I've read say that this TV is one of the best bangs for the buck with above average picture quality.

....AND, i got two kids that steal our phones and ipads to play on their apps and Netflix, so i'mn thinking the app hub on this TV will be great.

looks like our beloved 52" Samsung LN52A650 will be going into our room or the kid's room....

that LN52A650 was a top of the line TV back in 2008, it was one of the first TV's with the 120hz thing and the picture quality was stupid good - it was $2800 back in 2008 lol.

it has lasted TONS UPON TONS of hours and still looks amazing every time we watch it.

only reason it needs replacing is because we're going for size !!!!

But have you seen that new 4K ULTRA HIGH DEFINITION TV?! I figured it wouldn't be much different, but when I walked into Best Buy to check it out all I could imagine was how clear all the tits and ass would look on that thang.

But really, check it out if you haven't, shit is amazing. I was watching flowers and nature for about 20 mins straight in awe. Sony has a UHD 84" for $25k haha.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #16
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

I might be the only person in the world who uses their smart tv to its fullest extent? connect it to mezzmo and stream movies and shows and music from my computer to my tv, or any of my other DLNA capable devices for that matter. Besides that its nice to stream pandora/netflix right from the tv and not need another device to use.

If you arent going to use that much of the functionality though, why bother getting it?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #17
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

Why wouldn't you want the apps? Every set I've looked at has it built in on any of their better sets so what is the logic? A discount on the non-app version of the same set?

To me it's a deal breaker without it. Most new dvd players have some apps installed, xbox, PS3, Appletv, etc but most don't have all the streaming providers, many don't stream your own content well or are more cumbersome than they're worth. Examples:

AppleTV - best interface by far but only ver2 jailbroken will let you play content from your own network outside of iTunes. Jailbroken models don't have anything past Netflix (Hulu+, etc) plus you only get what Apple wants to you get. Not open at all in stock form.

Chromecast - Great for Netflix, Hulu+, HBO Go, Youtube and Google Play stuff but you cant stream your own movies unless you cast it from a browser and you need to control it from a pc, tablet or phone. It's a steal at $35 and has huge potential. It works well and is probably the best case for not needing apps.

Wii/Xbox - Interfaces suck for the most part and who wants to fire up a game console and wade through menus with a controller to watch only some of your content.

As Wakka said - the ability to connect DLNA device (Synology Diskstation for me) is a must and most of the manufacturers (especially Samsung) seem to be neutral on the content providers - they offer pretty much all of them.

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #18
stimpy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley View Post
Why wouldn't you want the apps? Every set I've looked at has it built in on any of their better sets so what is the logic? A discount on the non-app version of the same set?

To me it's a deal breaker without it. Most new dvd players have some apps installed, xbox, PS3, Appletv, etc but most don't have all the streaming providers, many don't stream your own content well or are more cumbersome than they're worth. Examples:

AppleTV - best interface by far but only ver2 jailbroken will let you play content from your own network outside of iTunes. Jailbroken models don't have anything past Netflix (Hulu+, etc) plus you only get what Apple wants to you get. Not open at all in stock form.

Chromecast - Great for Netflix, Hulu+, HBO Go, Youtube and Google Play stuff but you cant stream your own movies unless you cast it from a browser and you need to control it from a pc, tablet or phone. It's a steal at $35 and has huge potential. It works well and is probably the best case for not needing apps.

Wii/Xbox - Interfaces suck for the most part and who wants to fire up a game console and wade through menus with a controller to watch only some of your content.

As Wakka said - the ability to connect DLNA device (Synology Diskstation for me) is a must and most of the manufacturers (especially Samsung) seem to be neutral on the content providers - they offer pretty much all of them.
Well said. What I wanted to say but didn't have the time to say it.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #19
DOCTOR 3VIL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3/E92 M3

Quote:
good thread.

all the reviews I've read say that this TV is one of the best bangs for the buck

I have this tv and I love it. You won't be disappointed!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #20
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I was at Fry's a few days ago. I couldn't stop staring at the new Sony 4K TVs. The picture is unreal.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #21
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have Samsung Smart Tv which is almost 2 years old and I don't like it. I don't like the picture nor the motion on it, but the sound is terrible and regardless of the setting it still sounds terrible.
I tried to use it on youtube and such, very lazy, I gave up. You will be better with an Apple TV for sure.
I am a Sony guy and love them, I have 2 XBR. The problem is they work very well and the big XBR is not giving up, I must sabotage that thing to convince my wife to spend other $5000 for the new 4K.

Last edited by Teutonic; 11-27-2013 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #22
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
But have you seen that new 4K ULTRA HIGH DEFINITION TV?!
yeah, but there aren't any cable boxes, XBOX1's or PS4's that are 4K, so it's as useful as tits on a bull, for now....

I think I've narrowed it down to two TV's, which I've been debating for about 2 weeks: Sharp AQUOS LC-80LE650U or the Samsung UN75F6300

been looking at reviews/videos/etc in order to make my final decision.

looks like the 80" took a slight lead because I just found out that Samsung uses Sharp Panels in the 6300/6400 series TV's that are 55" and greater.

so, I figured if I was going to get a TV with a Sharp Panel, might as well get an actual Sharp TV that is 5" bigger for only $500 more.....

still looking......

not many reasonably priced 75 and 80" LED TV's to look at....
Appreciate 0