E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Nav Screen Gauges (Chromecast)

07-25-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
tasi333
EmZilla
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

Cool Nav Screen Gauges (Chromecast)

I've been wanting to use the navigation screen for GTR like gauges for a while, I've seen some projects try to use gauges using a carputer and even a Raspberry Pi, which looked really promising.

I have Nexus 5 Android phone and use several apps with a bluetooth ODB adaptor.

But first I started by using a console phone mount from proclip, and a wedge to get the right angle.

I've been using the Nexus wireless Qi charger at home and it has magnets so I can just drop the phone on it and it holds very firmly and charges it.

I decide to use this in the car, I love dropping the phone down and having it charging and being able to access the screen easily. I love the look too, not some bulky phone holder. I LOVE wireless charging, it's one of the main reasons I love the Nexus.

I had a reverse camera installed a while ago by SonicMS, they used a system similar to the one sold by Alekshop:
http://alekshop.com/products/multime..._for_2009_bmws

This interface has aux inputs that weren't wired by SonicMS so I opened it up and used a spare set of RCA cables and ran them into my glove box.

I purchased a RCA to HDMI converter from Amazon, and my initial plan was to get a MHL to HDMI adaptor for the phone and a iPad to HDMI adaptor for my iPad.

But THEN... I thought, it would be so awesome to keep everything wireless, and hook up a Chromecast, so that's what I did

I setup the Tasker app from the Google Play store to do a bunch of things when it connects to the bluetooth in my M3 (tasker is another reason I love the Nexus, can't do this stuff with apple devices).

First Tasker starts the Internet sharing hotspot, and I used a plugin called Autocast to automatically cast my screen to the Chromecast, then does a bunch of other things (sets screen to not turn off, brightness all the way up, launch google maps, etc.).

The Chromecast automatically connects to the Nexus hotspot once it becomes available.

So now all I do is drop the phone on my wireless charger, and everything connects automatically, the only extra step I have to do is hold down the Menu button in my car to switch to the aux input.

Now I can easily watch Netflix, or Hulu or any app from my phone on the Nav screen, it's so awesome! It's not the best resolution, but for me it's fine.

Here are a few pics with a the Torque app:

VF 700 SC | Akro Evo | Brembo GT | PSi Raceline Coilovers (Ohlins Dampers | Eibach Springs | Ground Control Plates) | MRF & Derlin Bushings | VerstraBe DCT Shifters | 3F Diffuser | Arkam bumper | Duke Dynamics CF trunk | CF Interior | CF Mirrors
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 02:10 PM   #2
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

love that idea.

If it ever became a $$/sensical option, I wouldn't mind figuring out a way to retrofit that dash + screen so I can do those exact types of things.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 02:20 PM   #3
tasi333
EmZilla
United_States
Rep

I had the reverse camera installed a while back for about $300, so minus that equipment, the whole setup cost me just under $200, but in reality a new setup would be upwards of $500, if already have a reverse camera though, this is a great option.
VF 700 SC | Akro Evo | Brembo GT | PSi Raceline Coilovers (Ohlins Dampers | Eibach Springs | Ground Control Plates) | MRF & Derlin Bushings | VerstraBe DCT Shifters | 3F Diffuser | Arkam bumper | Duke Dynamics CF trunk | CF Interior | CF Mirrors
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #4
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive

Thats pretty slick man. I have to hand it to you that took some homework and forward thinking.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 07:24 PM   #5
SaviorXi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive coupe

Garage List
This is the mount I use for my openflash tablet. 25 bucks is allot for a piece of metal but the fact that it mounts behind the radio trim and bolts in gives it a much more OEM quality look in my opinion.

http://www.bimmian.com/MDM/92
Dash Bracket Only No Device Holder
SKU#MDM9XA506
$25.00
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 07:44 PM   #6
tasi333
EmZilla
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamS View Post
Thats pretty slick man. I have to hand it to you that took some homework and forward thinking.
Thanks William
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 07:50 PM   #7
tasi333
EmZilla
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorXi View Post
This is the mount I use for my openflash tablet. 25 bucks is allot for a piece of metal but the fact that it mounts behind the radio trim and bolts in gives it a much more OEM quality look in my opinion.

http://www.bimmian.com/MDM/92
Dash Bracket Only No Device Holder
SKU#MDM9XA506
$25.00
That's awesome! I just ordered one, thanks for the tip SaviorXi
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 08:39 PM   #8
SaviorXi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasi333 View Post
That's awesome! I just ordered one, thanks for the tip SaviorXi
Just a heads up and I am not sure if this applies but it did take about a month to get my bracket since the site did not have them in stock even though when I ordered it the screen said in stock. I just patiently waited and eventually it came. I had no choice since this was the only product of its kind that I could find. Its very strong and solid once correctly installed. I do recommend you get some plastic trim removal tools if you do not already have them.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #9
timo1980
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Why didn't you try using the rgb input, I think that it'll support the native resolution of the display which is much higher than what you get with a rca cable.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 01:38 PM   #10
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

do you use WAZE? that would look great on the nav screen as well
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #11
tasi333
EmZilla
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo1980 View Post
Why didn't you try using the rgb input, I think that it'll support the native resolution of the display which is much higher than what you get with a rca cable.
I'm trying to find where I could buy the cable for the RGB interface, but haven't had any luck so far.

You're right though, it would probably give a much better output.

I'll post an update if I ever find one.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #12
tasi333
EmZilla
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVS 8 View Post
do you use WAZE? that would look great on the nav screen as well
I've used it in the past, but since some of the Waze incidents are reported on Google Maps, I just use Google Maps.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 08:23 AM   #13
jdamore
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasi333 View Post
I'm trying to find where I could buy the cable for the RGB interface, but haven't had any luck so far.

You're right though, it would probably give a much better output.

I'll post an update if I ever find one.

Thanks.
I'm trying to do this as well.

Looks like a circuit would have to be made to combine horizontal sync and vertical sync to "sync on green"

Something like this:
HDMI > VGA > made circuit > RGB(sync on green)

If you find an adapter, I would be all over this!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 06:43 PM   #14
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive

I have a chromecast at home, when my wifi went down I couldnt figure out a way to stream directly from my phone which has 30 movies on it straight to the chromcast. Can you help out as it would apply when I give this adventure a try as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 11:56 AM   #15
EricP3
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 X3M Comp

uhhh wow. Does this only work with 2009+ navigation screens or is it possible on all models? Can someone give me some info on how to hack into the nav screen to do things like this? I didn't know it was possible to take over the screen.
      10-28-2014, 07:16 PM   #16
jdamore
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricP3 View Post
uhhh wow. Does this only work with 2009+ navigation screens or is it possible on all models? Can someone give me some info on how to hack into the nav screen to do things like this? I didn't know it was possible to take over the screen.
You need the Multimedia Interface like the one found here:
http://www.modmynav.com/products.html

It gives you 3 composite video inputs to work with. It also gives you an RGB but, its useless unless you can figure out how to adapt HDMI to it.

It connects to your can-bus so you can switch inputs from the idrive knob or steering wheel.

The 2009+ models have a higher resolution (twice actually) screen but, it works fine on the 2008s.
      01-14-2017, 06:39 AM   #17
Gangsta
Rep
Drives: F10 LCI MY0314

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamore View Post
You need the Multimedia Interface like the one found here:
http://www.modmynav.com/products.html

It gives you 3 composite video inputs to work with. It also gives you an RGB but, its useless unless you can figure out how to adapt HDMI to it.

It connects to your can-bus so you can switch inputs from the idrive knob or steering wheel.

The 2009+ models have a higher resolution (twice actually) screen but, it works fine on the 2008s.
Has anyone come up with a way to adapt the HDMI signal from chromecast to RGB, that would make this mod a absolute must for displaying these gauges and media on screen. How does the video quality compare to the iPhone/iPod media snap in video from 6NR, I believe that is also composite?

A few ideas to get you thinking if it's doable,

Tendak HDMI to YPbPr 5 RCA Component RGB AV Converter Adapter 1080P with L/R Audio + Coaxial Audio Output for Xbox/ PS4/ Apple TV/ Roku/ Fire TV/ STB/ Blu-ray Players Game Console https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01EL6DN..._kYHEybZ2P90G9

The CIC has 3 Fbas inputs but those are not RGB so wher in the CIC does the RGB connect to? Or does that media av adapterbox (is it MMI) connect via separate route into the CIC?

Great work by the way!

Last edited by Gangsta; 01-14-2017 at 06:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 11:20 PM   #18
tasi333
EmZilla
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
Great work by the way!
Thanks Gangsta
Appreciate 0