E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Mechanical vs Civil Engineering

04-06-2014, 02:03 PM   #23
x6Hawkeye
911 TTS Cab
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio

You really can't go wrong with either. I graduated ME, then went for an MBA a bit later. The big money is not in engineering, but the non-traditional engineering careers that could follow.

I'm on the board for the College of Engineering at U of Iowa and have hired a lot of engineers into roles from project engineering, design engineering, operations and sales.

It's a versatile degree and proves you have problem solving capabilities - which future employers fully appreciate. Combine this with business savvy and a personality and you have a very bright future.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 12:25 AM   #24
TeinBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Msport, Conv, Tech

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX
Mechanical engineering is probably a little bit more versatile than civil, although you really can't go wrong with either.

Generally speaking civil engineering tends to have the lowest starting salary (with a bachelor's degree only) of all the engineering disciplines. At least that's true for my school (Cockrell). For us, starting salaries with only a bachelor's in engineering are something like

Civil: $57K
Aerospace: $58K
Biomedical: $62K
Electrical: $66K
Mechanical: $66K
Chemical: $72K
Petroleum: $85K
+1
      04-12-2014, 02:19 AM   #25
Xyruss
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 monaco blue 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by x6Hawkeye View Post
You really can't go wrong with either. I graduated ME, then went for an MBA a bit later. The big money is not in engineering, but the non-traditional engineering careers that could follow.

I'm on the board for the College of Engineering at U of Iowa and have hired a lot of engineers into roles from project engineering, design engineering, operations and sales.

It's a versatile degree and proves you have problem solving capabilities - which future employers fully appreciate. Combine this with business savvy and a personality and you have a very bright future.
Yea i havent look much into how the process of attaining an MBA after my degree works, but i have heard that is a great route to go. Were you still working while you worked towards your masters? I hear that depending on who you work for, the company might even pay for you to go for your MBA.

I guess at the end of the day i should just choose the discipline that I want to most expand my knowledge in. This would be Mechanical. Finals start next week. my results will be the deciding factor of whether i do civ E or Mech E. either way I am comfortable with either degree. I gotta say I am excited
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 08:00 PM   #26
x6Hawkeye
911 TTS Cab
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio

It's very common for employers to fund the MBA. Most reputable programs prefer students to have real life experience between undergrad and grad, so this works perfectly. At first I was disappointed I couldn't start my first year after graduation, but after putting some real world experience under my belt first I really learned a lot more as I could better apply it to my experiences.
Appreciate 0