E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Is the R8 a safe vehicle for a 3 year old in booster seat to ride? Any fathers?

02-05-2014, 12:34 PM   #23
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Honestly if you truly care about safety of your 3yo you would not want to put her in the front seat.

Get an i8, Ferrari California, or a Ferrari FF, which are all sports cars that have at least a 2+2 backseat and put the kid back there.

Legally speaking you're correct, you can put a kid w/booster seat in the front seat of a 2 seater, as you've noted from your research.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #24
Fifty3bags
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4play View Post
Name calling is cool, this just goes to show you how views can differ so drastically. I have not done it, merely asking a question here. I'm actually against the idea but wanted to know what others have done. It's obvious where you stand.

Parenting is like religion and politics so please do not assume your view is the only correct one here.
Then why bother asking or trying if you have another car to transport her? Seems pretty selfish.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 03:28 PM   #25
325rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 M3 6mt

This thread gave me a headache. Jesus Christ Im never having kids. Religion, politics, now parenting arguments. No thanks jeffrey.
Ill adopt a 9 year old and she/he can then ride in all my r8s

Check out my YouTube Fitness Channel if your into that
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoz...XQVuG0se8cTpUQ
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #26
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325rider View Post
This thread gave me a headache. Jesus Christ Im never having kids. Religion, politics, now parenting arguments. No thanks jeffrey.
Ill adopt a 9 year old and she/he can then ride in all my r8s
Kids aren't the problem.
It's marriage you want to avoid!

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #27
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335i

Good lord people are too damn soft now days.

Some of my best memories as a kid was riding shot gun with my dad in is Camaro.

Hell i was driving when i was 10 on back roads

Throw the kid in the front seat, drive safe and let the kid enjoy a nice ride thru town with dad
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #28
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Our little girl is 3 now and she loves fast cars but for the most part she never rides in our 2-door sport cars currently. Always back seat in a child seat. Most fun she gets is in my M3 sedan right now.
Quote:
Hardly going fast ~ it's roughly 5 miles of local driving at 35-40mph from our home to the daycare. I NEVER speed when I have my family with me. This was just a simple question of being able to transport her using the R8.
Guess you can see why I said what I said. Your concern was hardly 'transport'.

Anyway - no idea if you can or not.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 07:53 PM   #29
jophish17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehwnnc View Post

Throw the kid in the front seat, drive safe and let the kid enjoy a nice ride thru town with dad
This - yes these laws are for a reason but c'mon most of us rode up front as a kid and we've survived
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 07:58 PM   #30
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by jophish17 View Post
This - yes these laws are for a reason but c'mon most of us rode up front as a kid and we've survived
I love the logic here. Of course most of us survived, most people don't crash and die when they go for a drive. Not to mention the ones that didn't survive wouldn't be around to say so.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 08:00 PM   #31
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:

nanny state

I would definitely disable the passenger airbag though, and have the right booster seat.

The car's I have driven in my life would have been less safe in an accident than a child in a r8.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 08:05 PM   #32
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Chances are everything will be fine but why risk harming your child? How terrible would you feel if you did get into an accident or something and your child was injured because she was too small for the front seat?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 08:07 PM   #33
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Chances are everything will be fine but why risk harming your child? How terrible would you feel if you did get into an accident or something and your child was injured because she was too small for the front seat?
Same thing could happen on any given day in any given car
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 09:06 PM   #34
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Somewhat true, but different cars have different safety ratings. Choosing one with a lower rating obviously increases the risk.
      02-06-2014, 12:04 AM   #35
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States
Rep
Drives: too many rides....

Wow I guess most BMW owners are a bit more conservative?

I posted this thread on R8 forum and there's quite a few dad's and photos on there, seems there is no issue at all. This is kind of what I felt from the beginning but never expected such a negative response over here. In a modern sports car I would think Audi would have at least the basic safety measures inside the car. You guys make it sound like I'm going to drive like a maniac putting my kid in danger! Smokers who stand outside and make my kid inhale second smoke is more deadly

Frankly if I was 3 years old, I'd rather be in the front seat of a modern sports car in a properly secured child seat than in the back seat of a Honda Fit or some other sub-compact car with thin sheet metal. The Chevy Aveo, Prius, Fit, and a host of other cars all look like death traps to me.

Read here:

http://www.r8talk.com/forums/5-gener...tml#post288393
15 Ferrari 458 Spider
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 07:12 AM   #36
Fifty3bags
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:

I posted this thread on R8 forum and there's quite a few dad's and photos on there, seems there is no issue at all. This is kind of what I felt from the beginning but never expected such a negative response over here. In a modern sports car I would think Audi would have at least the basic safety measures inside the car. You guys make it sound like I'm going to drive like a maniac putting my kid in danger! Smokers who stand outside and make my kid inhale second smoke is more deadly

Frankly if I was 3 years old, I'd rather be in the front seat of a modern sports car in a properly secured child seat than in the back seat of a Honda Fit or some other sub-compact car with thin sheet metal. The Chevy Aveo, Prius, Fit, and a host of other cars all look like death traps to me.

Read here:

Honestly, I don't have any problems with it. I was just stating that you said you were against it, so why bother?

My grandfather is and always has been big into classic corvettes, and my brother and I would ride in his cars with him till we were about 10-11 or so. So one in the passenger seat and one in the hatch lol I do remember those rides the best, the most memorable is riding in the hatch of his 91 ZR1. That was fun
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 07:14 AM   #37
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Yes but if the child is where they belong perhaps they can walk away unscathed instead of gravely injured.

Its the OP's kid and he can do what he wants but I would never put my kid in unnecessary danger.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 07:38 AM   #38
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

I guess there are reasons why some places have laws against putting young child on the front seats. Your can be extremely careful with your driving but remember some people on the road are stupid with their actions. Last week, I just witnessed a moronic driver went into the ditch on the other side of a narrow road around 3:30pm. You wouldn't normally see someone pulling their hand brake and drifting off to a ditch when there is an elementary schools just few hundred meters from the scene. But shut happens.
      02-06-2014, 09:01 AM   #39
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

LOL lots of comments but dont seem to know what is valid or not..

YES , you can put your daughter on a 2 seater car.

R8 should have a weight sensor not sure but you can check.. meaning if a kid is seating in front with a car seat less than 70-80 pounds your airbag should be off .. its like our M3 most high end cars have that features.

I had been pulled over with my daughter in my s2000 with a car seat of course she was 4 at the time and the cop never said a word about it... as long as you are following the state law but most will allow them if they are strap in the passenger seat correctly.... also every state is different so check your state law or city

Last edited by Grail05; 02-06-2014 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #40
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

Quote:

Read here:

yea BMW owners think they know it all... even a 18 year old will comment stupid shit and they have no clue about it.. SMH ignorant SOB lol
      02-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #41
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Went home and checked mine. You certainly can fit a new born infant up to a 50 year old man in the passenger seat safely without issues.

Also, I found it is best to use a rear facing child seat in the front.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #42
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States
Rep
Drives: too many rides....

thanks for all the replies, appreciate all the discussion ~ this will help me decide!

The R8 apparently does have a weight sensor and on European models there's a switch in the glovebox to turn off the passenger airbag. The US Models don't have this but I'm sure the dealer can do it for me as an option.

This was posted from an R8 owner:

I think the proper answer is RTFM -- Read The Freakin' Manual .

Seriously. Audi spent a huge amount of effort and money on safety systems in the car, and have extensive instructions on the topic. The owner's manual has 14 pages of Child Safety information, including weight and size requirements and what types and how to properly use several different types of child restraint seats. In my 2012 owner's manual, it's on pages 119 thru 132. In the USA, the DOT tests and approves these safety devices per those instructions (that's why we can't buy the bucket seats here, they don't have side airbags and so were not approved for sale in the USA). So these safety configurations have been actually tested and passed by independent government agencies.

The good news is that with the proper type of seat, even infants can be properly protected. So you can have her ride in the car in a tested "safe" configuration. Just RTFM and do what it says. There are special locks and such to make even rear-facing infant seats be safe in the passenger seat. Like it instructs how to properly secure a rear-facing safety seat, and how to ensure that the PASSENGER AIR BAG OFF light is on when you do so.

Let us know what you end up doing.

mt
15 Ferrari 458 Spider
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 11:02 AM   #43
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
Went home and checked mine. You certainly can fit a new born infant up to a 50 year old man in the passenger seat safely without issues.

Also, I found it is best to use a rear facing child seat in the front.
wise-ass...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 10:32 PM   #44
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

Lol, do it as long as you're driving super safe with her at all times. I don't see the problem...
Appreciate 0