E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > What Valentine 1 Setting Are You Using?

View Poll Results: What Valentine 1 Setting Are You Using?
A 6 42.86%
Small L 1 7.14%
Large L 6 42.86%
Custom 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

12-27-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Arrow What Valentine 1 Setting Are You Using?

im on large L. what are you guys on? from the manual:

Modes:
A: all bogeys will be reported as soon as they are detected. use your judgement to decide wheather or not they are threats.

Small L: in logic mode your deferring to the internal computer which will use its own logic to screen bogeys before reporting them to you. x-band bogeys the computer judgest non-threatening will be reported at muted volume. if they become threatning the audio warning will upgrade to the initial volume before you are within radar range.

Large L: in logic mode your deferring to the internal computer which will use its own logic to screen bogeys before reporting them to you. x-band bogeys the computer has reason to believe aren't radar will not be reported at all with one exception; to be failsafe the computer will always pass extremely strong signals along for your judgment. the mode is particulary useful in metro areas.

*Note: the computer is smart. it never operates the recieving circuits at less than maximum sensitivity and it knows that instant-on is a greater threat than ordinary radar. so it will always warn you immediately at the intitial volume when those radars are detected, no matter what mode you've selected.

*Note 2: to change modes press and hold the control knob for one second.

Last edited by hl0m4n; 02-14-2008 at 10:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2007, 02:01 PM   #2
XxLancaxX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 335xi

Garage List
I use the Automatic setting "A"
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2007, 02:02 PM   #3
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLancaxX View Post
I use the Automatic setting "A"
by any chance do you know what the settings do?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2007, 02:45 PM   #4
XxLancaxX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
A = Show all bogies. I personally reccomend this because its easy to tell whats a legit signal and whats not.

From the V1 Manual....
“In the Advanced-Logic (large L) , X-band bogeys that the computer has reason to believe aren’t radar will not be reported at all. To be fail safe, the computer will always pass extremely strong signals along for your judgment. This mode is particularly useful in metro areas.”
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2007, 02:45 PM   #5
XxLancaxX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Hope that helped.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2007, 02:50 PM   #6
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Mine alerts when there's KA and Laser. Works well.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2007, 03:10 PM   #7
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
Mine alerts when there's KA and Laser. Works well.
really? i thought that the valentine one was supposed to make your car go back in time. thats why i got mine. jk

what setting do you use john?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2007, 03:19 PM   #8
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I have to check, Long set it lol.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2007, 03:22 PM   #9
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

I have a custom set up for L and l. Both auto mute K bands until they reach a certain level then alert me, but have no impact on Ka band or laser. And of course I have X band off since its not used in my area (thank god)

Instructions for K band auto mute, in l mode it shows the warning and when it goes over 4 bars alerts you, in big L it doesnt show any warning or alert until it goes over 4 bars (I mostly run in small l), when you hit the freeway change it to A mode and everything is normal. It also provides a 30 second auto mute so if you get a low signal for 30 seconds or more it alerts. It really is a must do for the V1 around town especially if they are using mostly KA in your area.

1.Go to programming mode in the v1.
2.go to option 7, then make sure the arrow is pointed DOWN. (it is pointed UP as default from VR)
3.go to option b next, make sure arrow is pointed DOWN.
4.go to option C next, make sure arrow is pointed UP.
5.go to option d next, make sure arrow is pointed UP.
6.go to option E next, make sure arrow is pointed UP (default).
7.go to option F next, make sure arrow is pointed UP (default).
8.go to option G, make sure arrow is pointed DOWN.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2007, 09:24 PM   #10
mpimping
Banned
South Korea
Rep
Drives: gti

which is the one u use on the highway with all the trucks?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2007, 09:24 PM   #11
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
someone buy me one
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 03:10 PM   #12
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpimping View Post
which is the one u use on the highway with all the trucks?
Highway? "A" mode when I am new to the area. I drive about 20 miles one way on the same freeway each day and usually leave it in little l with my custom settings since I pass a few shopping centers that leak 1 bar of K onto the freeway and I dont want to be bothered by that. Along with the fact that highway patrol in my area only uses KA and most of the time they sit in their car blasting constant on KA down the road and I can pick it up a mile+ away.

Just last night I was running in town in my modified little l setting, I got a warning of K which ramped up to the 4 bar threshold then it started to alert, I slowed to the posted limit and it got stronger and stronger and 2 city blocks away was a sheriffs SUV. So I had plenty of time an distance over 1 1/2 miles from first alter and about 1 mile from audio alert when it passed 4 bars.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 03:11 PM   #13
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
someone buy me one
Call them up and asked for a returned unit, usually you get put on a list and it takes a few weeks and you get a unit that someone returned in the 30 day time or a unit that is refurbished for a good $50 discount.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 03:37 PM   #14
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
I have a custom set up for L and l. Both auto mute K bands until they reach a certain level then alert me, but have no impact on Ka band or laser. And of course I have X band off since its not used in my area (thank god)

Instructions for K band auto mute, in l mode it shows the warning and when it goes over 4 bars alerts you, in big L it doesnt show any warning or alert until it goes over 4 bars (I mostly run in small l), when you hit the freeway change it to A mode and everything is normal. It also provides a 30 second auto mute so if you get a low signal for 30 seconds or more it alerts. It really is a must do for the V1 around town especially if they are using mostly KA in your area.

1.Go to programming mode in the v1.
2.go to option 7, then make sure the arrow is pointed DOWN. (it is pointed UP as default from VR)
3.go to option b next, make sure arrow is pointed DOWN.
4.go to option C next, make sure arrow is pointed UP.
5.go to option d next, make sure arrow is pointed UP.
6.go to option E next, make sure arrow is pointed UP (default).
7.go to option F next, make sure arrow is pointed UP (default).
8.go to option G, make sure arrow is pointed DOWN.
how do you go to programming mode?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 03:59 PM   #15
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by that guy nico View Post
how do you go to programming mode?
Go to your car start it up so your detector is on. Now use the volume switch to turn it off, then turn it on using the switch while pushing it in it should then have all the lights on the unit come on, then let go. I think it will then show the software version scrolling, just hit the control nob quickly in and it should display 1 then follow my instructions so to get to the first step on my list you should hit the button 7 times until it shows 7 on the display and the arrow will glow up so hold down the button until it changes to down I think it takes about 3-5 seconds of holding it in to change the direction.

Now if you miss one of the steps by passing the number finish the rest and shut the unit down then go back to the other step, if you continue to hit the button until you get back to the number or letter you missed without shutting it down you run a risk of it not saving for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 04:25 PM   #16
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
Go to your car start it up so your detector is on. Now use the volume switch to turn it off, then turn it on using the switch while pushing it in it should then have all the lights on the unit come on, then let go. I think it will then show the software version scrolling, just hit the control nob quickly in and it should display 1 then follow my instructions so to get to the first step on my list you should hit the button 7 times until it shows 7 on the display and the arrow will glow up so hold down the button until it changes to down I think it takes about 3-5 seconds of holding it in to change the direction.

Now if you miss one of the steps by passing the number finish the rest and shut the unit down then go back to the other step, if you continue to hit the button until you get back to the number or letter you missed without shutting it down you run a risk of it not saving for some reason.
thanks.... ill give it a try. so when i turn back on after i turn it off.... i press down on the knob while turning it right to turn on right?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 04:25 PM   #17
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by that guy nico View Post
thanks.... ill give it a try. so when i turn back on after i turn it off.... i press down on the knob while turning it right to turn on right?
Yep just hold the knob down when you fire it up.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 08:05 AM   #18
RaDaRkInG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Fast

http://www.valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt3.asp

How to reprogram V1... If you really want to.

You can change V1’s programming to meet special operating requirements, but should you? Police and the military strive for "situation awareness". If you know what’s going on all around you, you’re unlikely to be surprised by an ambush. Situation awareness is also the philosophy behind V1. The front and rear antennas, the Radar Locator and the Bogey Counter all work together to keep you informed of What is around you, How Many, and Where.

Considering V1’s broad capability, it’s easy to operate. All visual warnings are automatically corrected for outside brightness, so you never have to fiddle with a dimmer. Moreover, V1 already has three computer modes ready to adapt the Warning System to your particular needs. A lot of thought went into these various features to make them work as a system. I personally think V1 works appropriately for almost any situation I can imagine. Still, you can reprogram it to change its responses. We’ve been building in that flexibility for some years now. The risk is that you’ll diminish your situation awareness. Worse yet, you might inadvertently disable a protection you really need. So think carefully before changing the factory settings.

How To Change V1 Programming

I. How to enter the Programming Mode.
Starting with the Control Knob in the "off" position, Press and hold-in Knob and at the same time turn the Knob “on;” continue holding in the Knob until all front-panel lights are on (takes about 5 seconds).
Release the Control Knob.

II. How to determine your software version.
Press and immediately release the Control Knob to display software version. The software-version number is four digits that display one digit at a time in the Bogey Counter-example: 2.869.
Note your software number, then see the table below for features that are programmable in your unit.
Press and immediately release the Control Knob to exit software-version display.

III. How to program your desired features.
The feature character is indicated in the "Bogey Counter" (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, A, b, C, d, E, F, G, H, J, or u).
To select the next Feature Character in the sequence, press and immediately release the Control Knob.
The Feature State is indicated by direction arrows on the Radar Locator.
The Feature State is changed by pressing and holding the Control Knob until the arrow switches to the opposite direction (takes about 3 seconds).
NOTE: If you need to return to an earlier Character in the sequence above, we recommend you switch off the power momentarily, then restart at step I above.

IV. How to exit the Programming Mode.
Switch power off, or unplug. The changes you programmed will be retained in memory.

V. How to tell if V1 has been changed from factory settings.
If the unit has been changed, P will appear briefly in the Bogey Counter soon after V1 is switched on (after the lamps-on test, but before the Mode indicator appears.)
On V1s with serial numbers ending in 0600 or higher, a flashing red LED just to the right of the Bogey Counter during the sequence above indicates that Ku coverage has been activated.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 10:58 PM   #19
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

w/ poll
Appreciate 0