E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Getting Started in Stocks

01-26-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
madman23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3M40, 1988 325 IX

Getting Started in Stocks

How do I start? where do I look for companys and company descriptions? Ive been on a few sites like Etrade and such just wondering if anyone has any advice for a beginer.Thanks
      01-26-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
E nine T
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

td waterhouse
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 04:55 PM   #3
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman23 View Post
How do I start? where do I look for companys and company descriptions? Ive been on a few sites like Etrade and such just wondering if anyone has any advice for a beginer.Thanks
Are you looking for a brokerage, or are you looking for some sites to help you pick a good stock??

-Nathan
      01-26-2008, 05:36 PM   #4
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I use raymond james. My buddy works for them so I go through him. If he loses my money I know where he lives

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 12:01 AM   #5
madman23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3M40, 1988 325 IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
I use raymond james. My buddy works for them so I go through him. If he loses my money I know where he lives
LOL. Honestly im not sure what i am looking for? Im going to just look for little companies that may have potential. Im just really not sure where to look for those companys

td waterhouse
What is this and where can I find out info on this? why did you recomend this company?
      01-27-2008, 12:15 AM   #6
Dragonman4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
TD Waterhouse, like eTrade, is a stock brokerage company, although now its become TD Ameritrade. Before that, it bought out Datek Online. They're a decent site to use for people that want to play with the stock market but don't want to hire their own broker or know someone in the market. I just use my cousin since she works for JP Morgan.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 12:33 AM   #7
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

If you're just getting started, practice for at least a year with Marketocracy or the like. Don't screw around with actual money unless you've got some experience and know what you're doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 11:53 AM   #8
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Only gamble with a small fraction of the money you put aside to "save" depending on how much you have I wouldnt do more than 5%.. Go find the topic about investment books and spend $15 on the david swensen book and place the rest of your money into a long term investment plan following swensens model. Its a great thing to set up a retirement fund early, I started mine was I was a freshman in highschool, and let me tell you compounding returns add up over the years.

As for researching a company use yahoo financial, its free and provides the info you need. But no offense if you asking where to find that information you might want to head to the book store and pick up a few investing books, but like I said in the other topic I have read a bunch and have since adopted the Swensen model.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 01:04 PM   #9
Chunga
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: E90 black saphire 2008

All in - take a chance.
      01-27-2008, 01:37 PM   #10
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

"Always bet on black."

- Wesley Snipes, Passenger 57
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 01:59 PM   #11
mkeds
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

BRK.A and BRK.B
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 04:47 PM   #12
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35is

www.investors.com
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 05:32 PM   #13
Chunga
Captain
Denmark
Rep

Or dont invest at all right now.
Just read the financiel news. Houses are going down over 10% FEDS will lower the rent by 0,50% more.
China and India benefit from the bad american situation and get stronger it will get worth next week.
They expect 100.000 will be out of work - every week.
Worst situation sinse 1937.......
We just wonder - whats going on over there.
Bush won his war - but total lost his financials.
Anyway - looks like its a wery hot sitiation if you have ot invest right now.
(not my words or knoledge)

The only happy man here is me!! - i am in import business and pay in USD. My items get cheaper and cheaper every day.
      01-29-2008, 05:38 PM   #14
Dleo
Brigadier General
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman23 View Post
dude, where you been?
      01-29-2008, 06:40 PM   #15
greentea335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i w/ SSTT

LOl going on the forum is not the best way to start.
i would go on amazon and order DUMMIES FOR INVESTING STOCK
is a really good book to get started!

best advice though look at ur asset before u decide to throw that money out
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 06:45 PM   #16
323d
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 335i E90

practise on facebook fantasy stocks
      01-29-2008, 07:27 PM   #17
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunga View Post
Or dont invest at all right now.
Just read the financiel news. Houses are going down over 10% FEDS will lower the rent by 0,50% more.
China and India benefit from the bad american situation and get stronger it will get worth next week.
They expect 100.000 will be out of work - every week.
Worst situation sinse 1937.......
We just wonder - whats going on over there.
Bush won his war - but total lost his financials.
Anyway - looks like its a wery hot sitiation if you have ot invest right now.
(not my words or knoledge)

The only happy man here is me!! - i am in import business and pay in USD. My items get cheaper and cheaper every day.

You have been listening to Hillarys camp a little too much... Our economy is fine we have not had a decline in GDP yet, we have not met the definition of an economic downturn aka recession. Employment is economically speaking full right now, yes growth has slowed a little but it still has not hit negative numbers.

Right nows a great time to invest or buy a house if you have the money, you are getting that great 10% discount which will continue to grow in some parts of the market such as housing. Right now I am about to buy a house and I figure I can get a 15% discount but I am waiting till mid Feb for a 20% discount. As for investments I have some cash waiting to go in once it hits my buy price which in most cases is 10% bellow current value.. Buy low today and hold and you will be very well off in 5 years++++, investing in the short term is never a great option and can be likened to gambling.

As for the US $$ yes its weak but weak because of speculation and this only help the US in regards to exports, we are not exporting more thus attracting more investment which will bring our USD back, if things turn out like Hillarys camp says then the entire world will drop into a depression and we will all die from global warming.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 02:24 AM   #18
Chunga
Captain
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
You have been listening to Hillarys camp a little too much... Our economy is fine we have not had a decline in GDP yet, we have not met the definition of an economic downturn aka recession. Employment is economically speaking full right now, yes growth has slowed a little but it still has not hit negative numbers.

Right nows a great time to invest or buy a house if you have the money, you are getting that great 10% discount which will continue to grow in some parts of the market such as housing. Right now I am about to buy a house and I figure I can get a 15% discount but I am waiting till mid Feb for a 20% discount. As for investments I have some cash waiting to go in once it hits my buy price which in most cases is 10% bellow current value.. Buy low today and hold and you will be very well off in 5 years++++, investing in the short term is never a great option and can be likened to gambling.

As for the US $$ yes its weak but weak because of speculation and this only help the US in regards to exports, we are not exporting more thus attracting more investment which will bring our USD back, if things turn out like Hillarys camp says then the entire world will drop into a depression and we will all die from global warming.
I dont listen to people who run for president. Noone should.
But its frontpage news all over Europe these days.
But your right. Its a good time to invest in things that can not loose all its value. But stockmarked can change in seconds.
In stock the most powerfull killer is roumers.
      01-30-2008, 04:33 PM   #19
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunga View Post
I dont listen to people who run for president. Noone should.
But its frontpage news all over Europe these days.
But your right. Its a good time to invest in things that can not loose all its value. But stockmarked can change in seconds.
In stock the most powerfull killer is roumers.
The news papers are not much better.. They are for the most part liberal and good news doesnt sell, so they constantly overplay an issue.. If you have ever been a part of an event that has become a national news story you know first hand how wrong and distorted the papers and news make things sound even if it wasnt their intention the fact is most of the writers are english majors and no nothing about a lot of the subjects and the people they do turn to tend to be liberal like themselves.

The stock market and ever stock changes, the day to day month to month changes are not important its all about the long 5+ years out.

Like I have said before I dont play with stocks its too much of a gamble I invest by reducing my risk as much as I can. Read Swensens book.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 04:47 PM   #20
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:

Day trading > Investing long term..
I will never invest long term, because it isn't where the money is at.. It is also more risky.
You invest long term and I will watch as you strive to make 20% in a year.
I'll go ahead and day trade, and watch as I make well over 200% in a year.

It's much safer day trading because you are in and out in a few mins/hours.
If you hold your stock all year long, there is a GREATER(let me emphasize that) chance that something could go wrong.
People that hold all year long are my best friends however, because they are the people I am taking money from.

I use Trade King as my brokerage, and my dad uses fidelity. Unlike him I don't have a 401k/IRA to get commission free trades.. :/ He uses Trade King on his other account.. Tried ScottTrade, TDAmeritrade, and I think one other.. Trade King has the lowest commissions, and I like their UI more. IIRC they are also one of the few that allow stop losses, trailing stops, and etc..

When looking for a brokerage I would disregard the interest rate on your sideline money and look for one with the cheapest trades, unless you just plan to buy and hold. 9 times out of 10 if you call the brokerage and tell them someone else has a higher interest, they will bump yours up.

If you are serious about trading I would recommend looking into.. (After you know a bit of course)
StockCharts.com (Recommend getting an account)
InvestTools.com (Recommend getting an account)
and I use Briefing.com for tidbits of info. (Free Version is good enough)

Clearstation.Etrade.com has some decent free charts, if you aren't looking to spend any money on an account in the other sites.

This is the perfect time to be trading, because the market is so radical and moves tons in a day.
Yes, trading stocks is like gambling but you can reduce your risk by knowing how to read a chart, looking at Industry groups, news, and a ton of other information that is available.

I still have much to learn however.. so don't take my opinions whole heartedly.

-Nathan
      01-30-2008, 04:59 PM   #21
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
best advice for a beginning investor is to research companies you like the product or service of.

If you like intel processors in your computer, go onto yahoo, search for their ticker, and start learning. They tell you about all the indicators, ratios, etc, and you can start learning.

Eventually, before you buy, you'll want a full prospectus (request from company website) to do your final homework.

Also, money you invest is play money only. Not money you need to live.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 06:15 PM   #22
Chunga
Captain
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
The news papers are not much better.. They are for the most part liberal and good news doesnt sell, so they constantly overplay an issue.. If you have ever been a part of an event that has become a national news story you know first hand how wrong and distorted the papers and news make things sound even if it wasnt their intention the fact is most of the writers are english majors and no nothing about a lot of the subjects and the people they do turn to tend to be liberal like themselves.

The stock market and ever stock changes, the day to day month to month changes are not important its all about the long 5+ years out.

Like I have said before I dont play with stocks its too much of a gamble I invest by reducing my risk as much as I can. Read Swensens book.
I dont know. If i cant beleave the news i am fucked - hehe.
I trade. World wide. I have to know whats going on. At the moment i am trading metals and plast. I done this for 20 years and i almost always could rely on the serius business news world wide (more or less. Depends on how for east we go). But anyway. One thing i have seen for years are that its all roumers and strange investments that rock the marked.
roumers are from the news and will spread fear like rings in the water.
So you kind of right. News are not always right - but they can sure make their wrongs right.
I will still read my economics and still be a beleaver - and if its not right now - its gonna be soon. It always will.
You deside to stay cool. so we are 2. Thats just not enough.