E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Gaining Mass

02-03-2010, 03:41 PM   #23
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

...what about your car?

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #24
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec 1 View Post
This is what I've switched to, not sure of what it is exactly:

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3480824

Missed the last 4 days of workouts due to being sick Hitting it again tonight. I'll update on on progress once I get a solid week or two of the workouts in with this stuff.
Sucralose found in the powder you're using has a negative effect on gut flora (among other things). About 70% of your immune system is in the gut (called the GALT) so if you're destroying your gut, your immune system is negatively affected. If you're destroying the gut, you can't break down other foods. Digesting this concoction in general is difficult on the gut/body.

What is "natural and artificial flavor"? Calcium caseinate may be MSG. Can you absorb this protein?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 04:12 PM   #25
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post
even high protein low fat diets.

just wish I can jump up another 10 lbs, stay lean, and maybe get the max bench to about 300.
You make all of your steroidal hormones including testosterone/androstendione/progesterone/DHEA/cortisol from fats. Cholesterol is the raw material from which you make your hormones. The harder you train, the more fat intake you need as you have a greater need to make hormones and repair cellular membranes (which cholesterol makes).

Avocados, raw butter, ghee, raw cheese, coconut oil, palm oil, saturated fats from healthy animal foods, goat milk, whole raw milk
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #26
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Light View Post
Sucralose found in the powder you're using has a negative effect on gut flora (among other things). About 70% of your immune system is in the gut (called the GALT) so if you're destroying your gut, your immune system is negatively affected. If you're destroying the gut, you can't break down other foods. Digesting this concoction in general is difficult on the gut/body.

What is "natural and artificial flavor"? Calcium caseinate may be MSG. Can you absorb this protein?
The sucralose I'm not too personally worried about. It's not a high dose, and I feel good about taking that in vs all of the nasty foods and processed sugars I have already cut out of my diet. The benefit of the overall product it is in outweighs the drawbacks of the sweetener (to me at least).

The calcium caseinate is simply casein protein. Casein breaks down slower than other proteins such as whey. It is just as safe but metabolizes slower. It's often taken before bed to supply the body with sustained nutrition overnight.

As far as the "natural and artificial flavors"... I'm fine with that, especially since the drink tastes like cake mix before being baked. Mmmm mmm...

Last edited by Spec 1; 02-04-2010 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #27
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
You make all of your steroidal hormones including testosterone/androstendione/progesterone/DHEA/cortisol from fats. Cholesterol is the raw material from which you make your hormones. The harder you train, the more fat intake you need as you have a greater need to make hormones and repair cellular membranes (which cholesterol makes).

Avocados, raw butter, ghee, raw cheese, coconut oil, palm oil, saturated fats from healthy animal foods, goat milk, whole raw milk
good information, i should mention the majority of my foods are low in fat. But I do intake some foods you mention, more specifically in the cheese department. I should add some more milk to my diet though. Thanks for the tip.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 11:56 PM   #28
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The sucralose I'm not too personally worried about. It's not a high dose, and I feel good about taking that in vs all of the nasty foods and processed sugars I have already cut out of my diet. The benefit of the overall product it is in outweighs the drawbacks of the sweetener (to me at least).

The calcium caseinate is simply casein protein. Casein breaks down slower than other proteins such as whey. It is just as safe but metabolizes slower. It's often taken before bed to supply the body with sustained nutrition overnight.

As far as the "natural and artificial flavors"... I'm fine with that, especially since the drink tastes like cake mike before being baked. Mmmm mmm...
Casein is hard to digest. It doesn't "digest slow"; it's just really freaking hard for the body to breakdown. It also can lead to casein addiction as due to the opium like effect of casomorphins which result as a metabolite of breaking down casein. These literally act like a drug causing addiction. Seems like you may already be addicted. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

Natural and artificial flavors can means several other chemical additives. The stuff is a chemistry experiment. Just providing something to think about.

Quote:
good information, i should mention the majority of my foods are low in fat. But I do intake some foods you mention, more specifically in the cheese department. I should add some more milk to my diet though. Thanks for the tip.
Cool. Notice I mention raw dairy (not pasteurized, homogenized).
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #29
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Tru story. A bigger buddy of mine use to carry around a gallon of water, wherever he went, work, out to a store etc

Mofo was always drinking water, im not that crazy but at work I probably drink about 80OZ in an 8hr period. Which is not too bad.

Been working out for about 6 years straight.

As far as gaining mass, Ive never been very good at it.

Started working out in college, at 135 lbs 5ft 10, 30 inch waist 6 pack.
I now sit at 160lbs wet, 5ft 10, same 30inch waist and even better 6 pack. Max bench 285, Body fat in the 3-4% range for those who are into that knowledge.

Just can't up the mass without getting a small belly, even high protein low fat diets. I do legs, been doing them for about 4 years. I've tried all the supplements from creatine, nitrix, whey proteins, and glutamine. At the end of the day, I just eat high protein diets and took out the supplements for the lean, power to weight ratio look.

When I tried the supplements I went to about 165 lbs, wasnt any "stronger", and had the slighest of belly with the 6 pack. I took out the supplements, focused on my diet and routine, and trimmed it down to the 160 im at, and the strongest I've ever been. This is not to discredit anyones opinions of supplements or anything, i'm just saying I tried it and it didnt work for me.

I'd take any advice anyone is willing to offer however. The strength is their for my weight, just wish I can jump up another 10 lbs, stay lean, and maybe get the max bench to about 300.
I always chuckle at the guys carrying around 1 gallon jugs. I carry a Nalgene 32oz bottle (the "toxic-free" plastic one) and fill it up throughout the day.

Quote:
This is what I've switched to, not sure of what it is exactly:

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3480824

Missed the last 4 days of workouts due to being sick Hitting it again tonight. I'll update on on progress once I get a solid week or two of the workouts in with this stuff.
Never seen it. I've never used anything GNC branded though.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 01:56 PM   #30
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Casein is hard to digest. It doesn't "digest slow"; it's just really freaking hard for the body to breakdown. It also can lead to casein addiction as due to the opium like effect of casomorphins which result as a metabolite of breaking down casein. These literally act like a drug causing addiction. Seems like you may already be addicted. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm......
Casein is also a natural protein though. I could probably gather as much by having a glass or two of milk and serving of cheese each day. I highly doubt I am into any casein addiction myself, seeing as I've used this product 4 days thus far and the serving size is so miniscule.

Regardless, I think casein to be a safe protein in reasonable amounts and to work well as a time-released supplement. I have a number of friends who take large amounts of the supplement before bed who have had great results in muscle absorbtion and no adverse health affects.
      02-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #31
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

I am confused as to what time/when I am to consume my Creatine blend.

I drink it a half hour before w/o and as soon as I am done and that is it.

Wrong? Right? More? Less?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #32
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:

Natural and artificial flavors can means several other chemical additives. The stuff is a chemistry experiment. Just providing something to think about.

Cool. Notice I mention raw dairy (not pasteurized, homogenized).
Ah Ok I hear ya now.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 01:11 PM   #33
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
I am confused as to what time/when I am to consume my Creatine blend.

I drink it a half hour before w/o and as soon as I am done and that is it.

Wrong? Right? More? Less?

Thanks.
Only take creatine once per day. What does it say on the package? What is the name of the blend?

Some creatines are pre, some post and some intra. Green mag is pre, SizeOn is intra.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #34
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

On the label: before and immediately after.

The brand is I DID NOT KNOW ANY BETTER AND GOT THE CHEAP SHIT.

Heard of it?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 11:54 AM   #35
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
On the label: before and immediately after.

The brand is I DID NOT KNOW ANY BETTER AND GOT THE CHEAP SHIT.

Heard of it?
LOL. So it's probably Monohydrate. It's all good man. It works, the only reason other stuff is more expensive is b/c it has other things to aid in recovery.

From everything I've been told and read you shouldn't take more than 5g/day. So i'd check the serving size. My guess is that if that's what the directions say, follow it.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #36
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

^

I just pm'd a member a ? you may know the answer to.

Should I take a week off and just do cardio or a week off from everything?

I like to lift but if it is better to take a break I will.
      02-08-2010, 03:11 PM   #37
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep

Quote:
^

Why would you want to take a week off? I usually mix my cardio in after my lifts. I throw 10-20 minutes on after most every workout. Your body is already in a catabolic state from lifting so your heart rate is up and you get the benefits of the cardio quicker.

I'm finally over my sickness and back from snowboarding all weekend so today si the start of my first full week of this Creatine/Proteine mix.

It's got 3g creatine per serving, and I'm splitting it 1/3rd serving pre-workout and 2/3rd serving post.
      02-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #38
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
^

What Spec said.

I always take a week off. No given time frame though. Usually it happens when I'm having one of those weeks where I just feel lazy.

There are plenty of people who take a week off of lifting and just do cardio. I may be doing that this week as I tweeked my back over the weekend and woke up with a crick in my neck today. LOL, so this week will be my first.

Quote:
Why would you want to take a week off? I usually mix my cardio in after my lifts. I throw 10-20 minutes on after most every workout. Your body is already in a catabolic state from lifting so your heart rate is up and you get the benefits of the cardio quicker.

I'm finally over my sickness and back from snowboarding all weekend so today si the start of my first full week of this Creatine/Proteine mix.

It's got 3g creatine per serving, and I'm splitting it 1/3rd serving pre-workout and 2/3rd serving post.
Well said.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #39
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

He said he does not take a week off Couch and you do.

OT. Do you guys think the 5 gallon bottles from Sparkletts have BPA in them? I have had the same one for 92 years. I go to the Culligan thing and re-fill.
I went to REI and bought a Nalgene or whatever bottle for the car and if my 5er is polluted what's the use.

I Googled and found no data either way.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #40
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

He said he does not take a week off Couch and you do.

OT. Do you guys think the 5 gallon bottles from Sparkletts have BPA in them? I have had the same one for 92 years. Went to REI and bought a Nalgene or whatever bottle for the car and if my 5er is polluted what's the use.

I Googled and found no data either way.
My fault, I miss-read his post. Sorry for the confusion, I read too fast.

It's really up to the individual, but IMO it's good to take a break every now and again. I've heard as often as every 6 weeks and I've heard whenever you think you've hit a plateau. Thats why I change up my routine constantly and break when I'm just feeling off that week. Just use your best discretion. It's good that you're interested in learning. It's amazing how you learn just from paying attention to your own body, as well as watching others at the gym and reading stuff. You eventually sort through the bs and find what works for you.

I'm guessing the Sparkletts probably does, but I'm not sure. It's probably in the plastic lines in my refridge too so it's probably not doing anything. The good thing is though that the Nalgene bottles are like $5 and last forever. At some point we just have to quit worrying about some stuff and just live our lives.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #41
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Trust me. When I was your age, I think you are early twenties??, I was a human wrecking ball.

Fast cars. Fast women. Fighting. Riding bulls..really bright huh. Partying.

I have lived the life and don't regret much of it.

Now I am trying to clean things up the best I can w/o turning into a scared to enjoy life nut case.

ps: Fast cars and fast women are still in my Rolodex.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #42
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
It's really up to the individual, but IMO it's good to take a break every now and again. I've heard as often as every 6 weeks and I've heard whenever you think you've hit a plateau. Thats why I change up my routine constantly and break when I'm just feeling off that week. Just use your best discretion. It's good that you're interested in learning. It's amazing how you learn just from paying attention to your own body, as well as watching others at the gym and reading stuff. You eventually sort through the bs and find what works for you.
I should probably have mentioned that once a month or so I end up taking 4 days off in a row, usually due to traveling out of state and not having the opportunity. It usually benefits the body to recover slightly. I don't ever purposefully intend on taking the time off, it just seems to work that way. After 4 days my body wants to get going again though, so 7 days sounds rough.

I also completely agree with you about finding what works for you. It's been quite an experience finding what works and what doesn't, what I can and can't eat, etc. I've been just starting to hit a plateau and am learning new excercises to switch it up a bit. I remember a year ago when I would have hated all of this, but now I'm loving it.
      02-10-2010, 11:59 AM   #43
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Trust me. When I was your age, I think you are early twenties??, I was a human wrecking ball.

Fast cars. Fast women. Fighting. Riding bulls..really bright huh. Partying.

I have lived the life and don't regret much of it.

Now I am trying to clean things up the best I can w/o turning into a scared to enjoy life nut case.

ps: Fast cars and fast women are still in my Rolodex.
LOL. If you want to call 28 early 20's, I won't argue.

Never throw away the little black book.

Quote:
I should probably have mentioned that once a month or so I end up taking 4 days off in a row, usually due to traveling out of state and not having the opportunity. It usually benefits the body to recover slightly. I don't ever purposefully intend on taking the time off, it just seems to work that way. After 4 days my body wants to get going again though, so 7 days sounds rough.

I also completely agree with you about finding what works for you. It's been quite an experience finding what works and what doesn't, what I can and can't eat, etc. I've been just starting to hit a plateau and am learning new excercises to switch it up a bit. I remember a year ago when I would have hated all of this, but now I'm loving it.
You have no idea man. When I first started 3 years ago I had to force myself to go 3 days a week. It's taken until late last year to go 5 days, and I enjoy it more than ever. I actually don't feel as good if I don't go.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #44
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
You have no idea man. When I first started 3 years ago I had to force myself to go 3 days a week. It's taken until late last year to go 5 days, and I enjoy it more than ever. I actually don't feel as good if I don't go.
Ha. Yea I started about 10 months ago and it was an effort to go to them gym even 2 times a week. I despised it and after 45 minutes of being in the gym I was just flat done and exhausted. I'd then have an excuse to take the next 2-3 days off because I went.... once.

10 months later and now that I'm in much better shape, I feel robbed if I don't go at least 4 times a week. I get excited at the end of my work day because I get to go. Hell, after missing 6 days last week due to sickness I was absolutely giddy when I was walking into the gym. Now I have to stop myself after being there for 90 minutes because I know the workouts aren't as effective after that. I walk out of the gym pumped and full of energy, way better then I was feeling prior gym. Funny how that all works, huh?