E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Houston to Dallas

03-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

Houston to Dallas

Have to make a road trip for business next week, going to take I-45 north from Houston. Being my first time making this trip, anybody know about things to check out or to avoid along the way? Also, any restaurants/social activities to check out in Dallas? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
spencers
Captain
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: Sthrizzle

Go with the flow of traffic. Last time I drove that route I was doing almost 80mph
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 07:39 PM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Yeah, it's normally a reasonably quick drive. What part of Dallas are you staying in?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 07:39 PM   #4
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread
Yeah, it's normally a reasonably quick drive. What part of Dallas are you staying in?
Downtown. Anything I should check out in terms of dining?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 07:53 PM   #5
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skhmund View Post
There isn't anything worth stopping for between Houston and Dallas. I go to Dallas for work frequently. What kind of food are you looking for?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et
Quote:
There isn't anything worth stopping for between Houston and Dallas. I go to Dallas for work frequently. What kind of food are you looking for?
Not really focused on a category, more on places that are unique to Dallas, places that you have to try when visiting. When friends come to Houston, I have restaurants that they have to eat and are unique to Houston.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 08:39 PM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Stephen Pyles is downtown and pretty good. Abacus is on McKinney in uptown and one of Kent Rathbun's better places. Nick and Sam's is off of Cedar Springs and one of Phil Romano's better offerings.

If you want something more reasonable, Meddlesome Moth is good, as is Dee Lincoln's or Oak. Old Warsaw and Bob's are also good for steaks and a slightly older crowd.

The Mansion on Turtle Creek is probably the most "Dallas" like, if you feel like dealing with our silly society.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 09:06 PM   #8
skyjump
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

If you want bar food, I would consider going to Angry Dog. They also have a good selection of beers on tap.

p.s. If you decided to go, make a quick stop by their latrine while you're there
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 09:17 PM   #9
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread
Stephen Pyles is downtown and pretty good. Abacus is on McKinney in uptown and one of Kent Rathbun's better places. Nick and Sam's is off of Cedar Springs and one of Phil Romano's better offerings.

If you want something more reasonable, Meddlesome Moth is good, as is Dee Lincoln's or Oak. Old Warsaw and Bob's are also good for steaks and a slightly older crowd.

The Mansion on Turtle Creek is probably the most "Dallas" like, if you feel like dealing with our silly society.
Noted! Any signature dishes or personal favorites?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 09:18 PM   #10
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjump
If you want bar food, I would consider going to Angry Dog. They also have a good selection of beers on tap.

p.s. If you decided to go, make a quick stop by their latrine while you're there
Not a big bar guy, mostly because I do not drink. Thanks for the tip though!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #11
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post

I've been to both Abacus and the mansion on turtle creek recently. Abacus totally screwed up the temperature on my pork and so they comped my entire meal free of charge which was odd because I wasn't a regular patron or anything (although I am a regular at Jasper's in Austin, although I doubt they would know). I certainly appreciated the gesture, though, and I just tipped the waiter the total for the meal.

For mansion I went with my entire family for lunch one day. I'm not gonna lie, my first impression was that it was a little too uncomfortably "high brow" for me, possibly because I felt grossly under-dressed and the only other table in the restaurant was filled with women who quite literally were dressed like they were dining in the first class cabin on the Titanic

I had the braised short rib which was excellent. The dish was comfortably "1 michelin star" quality, IMO. I thought on a quality per dollar basis, the mansion at turtle creek was quite good especially if you dine there for lunch. The braised short rib gets my vote of confidence.

Last edited by NemesisX; 03-17-2014 at 11:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 11:23 PM   #12
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Oh, and the mansion at turtle creek has a great prix fixe deal for lunch. You can get a full-sized starter, entree, and dessert for $40 which is phenomenal for the quality of the meal.

A lot of times fixed price deals are deceptive because restaurants will just give you smaller portions, but this isn't the case.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #13
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Curious, any speed traps along I45 to watch out for? How is cop activity? I've traveled to Austin and San Antonio and haven't had any major issues breaking the speed of sound haha
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 09:34 AM   #14
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

Quote:
Curious, any speed traps along I45 to watch out for? How is cop activity? I've traveled to Austin and San Antonio and haven't had any major issues breaking the speed of sound haha
yes - stay the speed limit going through Centerville.

also, when you get to Corsicana, DO THE SPEED LIMIT !!!!

Corsicana Cops DO NOT PLAY.....

best bet would be to put the cruise control on 75 as you're leaving Huntsville.....

be patient man - it ain't a race....
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 09:39 AM   #15
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos
Quote:

best bet would be to put the cruise control on 75 as you're leaving Huntsville.....

Correct you are, it isn't. However, lead foot is bound to originate when the drive becomes boring.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 09:43 AM   #16
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Also, how is the quality of the road (I-45)?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #17
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Not really focused on a category, more on places that are unique to Dallas, places that you have to try when visiting. When friends come to Houston, I have restaurants that they have to eat and are unique to Houston.
When I'm in Dallas and don't need to take customers out for dinner and have a chilled out night to myself, I always go to Dalat (http://www.dalatdallas.com/). You can sit at the bar (or a table) and the pho goes very very hard there. I recommend it!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 10:16 AM   #18
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Correct you are, it isn't. However, lead foot is bound to originate when the drive becomes boring.
then be prepared to get fucked.....

if you're not mature enough to stay within the limits on a roadtrip, then you may want to invest in some safety courses.....

Quote:
45 coming out of Huntsville almost all the way to Dallas is a long, straight runway that begs you to hit 160mph.....

Houston has ZERO HILLS, but you'll see 80% of the stretch from Huntsville to Corsicana is fairly hilly (up and down).

it's a very nice and pleasant drive - just enjoy it and try not to be douchey...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 10:18 AM   #19
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

p.s.
the thing about Centerville is that you won't deviate into a small town.

you'll be on 45 and bypass the city, but Centerville and Buffalo are patrolled by Troopers.

they even patrol as far north as Fairfield....
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 10:19 AM   #20
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
then be prepared to get fucked.....

if you're not mature enough to stay within the limits on a roadtrip, then you may want to invest in some safety courses.....

Quote:
45 coming out of Huntsville almost all the way to Dallas is a long, straight runway that begs you to hit 160mph.....

Houston has ZERO HILLS, but you'll see 80% of the stretch from Huntsville to Corsicana is fairly hilly (up and down).

it's a very nice and pleasant drive - just enjoy it and try not to be douchey...
Noted, thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #21
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
p.s.
the thing about Centerville is that you won't deviate into a small town.

you'll be on 45 and bypass the city, but Centerville and Buffalo are patrolled by Troopers.

they even patrol as far north as Fairfield....
Why such a police presence there out of all places?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 12:05 PM   #22
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why such a police presence there out of all places?
i'm assuming because it's a long stretch of highway where people like to drive fast...

I've made that drive about 5 times in the last two years.

my little brother lives in Bedford and makes the drive once a month to visit my parents in Alvin....
Appreciate 0