E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > WOW...edmunds test new infiniti g37 coupe.

03-21-2007, 01:26 AM   #23
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List
Arrow

Yes, the whole test was put on by Nissan, but read the article. The author, Josh Jacqout, was pretty candid about the problems with the test.

Quote #1

In fairness, both cars had experienced a relentless pounding by journalists with a profound absence of mechanical sympathy before the BMW finally succumbed to the desert heat.

And if Josh says "relentless pounding," I have no reason to doubt him. Do you know Josh? He once gave me a ride in an EVO MR. First time I've ever experienced the senation of being sideways the entire way around a two-lane cloverleaf onramp. With cars in the adjacent lane.

Even though I'm sure my blood pressure went up 10 or 20 points , I was quite pleased when we merged onto the freeway unscathed :rocks:. Not Josh. He was pissed off at himself for not left-foot braking properly or something :mad:. Anyway, my point: the guy doesn't go easy on cars .

Quote #2

It's clear when driving hard that Nissan is keenly aware its competition has upped the bar. The improvements to the G37 are shrewdly focused in areas which help the G compare favorably in exactly the conditions we were given to test the cars — on a racetrack. With the Sport Package comes stiffer springs, more aggressive dampers and larger antiroll bars. We'll withhold judgment about the G's ability to adapt to real-world driving as brilliantly as BMW's 3 Series until we're able to drive them both on the street.

And that's where I predict the G will go down in flames . The G may very well be a more focused track car, but if the G35 sedan is any indication, the refinement in day-to-day driving just won't be up to BMW standards. That said, we'll have to wait and see.

One thing I'll agree on though. BMW dropped the ball when it said no to LSD on the 335i .

-Dan

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2007, 01:32 AM   #24
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger View Post
Outhandled by the G? I saw that coming. Am I the only one who's seen bmw handling on non-M cars get less and less performance oriented over the years. My 3 rolls all over the place. Coilovers and sways will be on order by the end of the month, but it shouldnt have to be that way.
ya i heard theyve softened the dampening on the e92's compared to the e90's. i find that a dumb thing to do, along with no LSD. all the places where bmw cheaped out (lsd, oil cooler) has come out and bit them in the ass. i wasnt that suprised that the review stated the g37 outhandled the 335i e92. but the 335i torque is gold.
      03-21-2007, 01:38 AM   #25
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

(NVH - Noise Vibration Harshness)
"The G37 didn't feel quite as fast as the BMW, nor did its V-6 sound quite as melodic as the 335i's twin-turbo straight six, especially in the car, where the VQ's NVH gremlins reared their ugly little heads." Automobile Magazine

BTW, that's why when I test drove the G35 when it first came out I hated it! It was so fuckin loud it gave me a headache. I thought to myself what kind of fuckin luxury sport car when you gun it sounds like a Tractor Diesel on full throttle from within the cabin? I knew I just couldn't live with that; it looks like Infiniti has done nothing to address this in the new G37.

I still like the look of the 335i better, it's more ME. It just looks more mature and sleeker. That's not to say the G37 is ugly, which it's not. I think the G37 is hot, but I don't think it will stand the test of time like the BMW. That's just MO.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2007, 01:50 AM   #26
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag824 View Post
(NVH - Noise Vibration Harshness)
"The G37 didn't feel quite as fast as the BMW, nor did its V-6 sound quite as melodic as the 335i's twin-turbo straight six, especially in the car, where the VQ's NVH gremlins reared their ugly little heads." Automobile Magazine

BTW, that's why when I test drove the G35 when it first came out I hated it! It was so fuckin loud it gave me a headache. I thought to myself what kind of fuckin luxury sport car when you gun it sounds like a Tractor Diesel on full throttle from within the cabin? I knew I just couldn't live with that; it looks like Infiniti has done nothing to address this in the new G37.

I still like the look of the 335i better, it's more ME. It just looks more mature and sleeker. That's not to say the G37 is ugly, which it's not. I think the G37 is hot, but I don't think it will stand the test of time like the BMW. That's just MO.
Funny you say test of time.. the 335 stopped working at the 4th lap. and i actually wish i had the g35 growl inside the car. at least i can say my 330xi is quiet and boring inside.
      03-21-2007, 02:05 AM   #27
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhaulball View Post
Funny you say test of time.. the 335 stopped working at the 4th lap. and i actually wish i had the g35 growl inside the car. at least i can say my 330xi is quiet and boring inside.
My test of time comment was geared toward it's looks.... and who's driving that hard in the dessert anyway? What is this a Baja race? These are extreme weather conditions with non-stop vehicle abuse; I guess everyone's a race car driver these days. Anyway we don't know for sure if it's a bad sensor or the engine actually overheated. BMW should resolve it soon or they are digging their own grave.

As far as the roar of the engine; if you haven't driven the G please do. Gun it a little and then a lot. If you can take the annoying and loud decibel punishment and like it then more power to you. I'll be nice and happy in my "boring" yet throaty BMW that doesn't make me squint every time I hit the pedal.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2007, 02:10 AM   #28
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag824 View Post
My test of time comment was geared toward it's looks.... anyway who's driving that hard in the dessert anyway? What is this a Baja race? These are extreme conditions; I guess everyone's a race car driver these days. Anyway we don't know for sure if it's a bad sensor or the engine actually overheated. BMW should resolve it soon or they are digging their own grave.

As far as the roar of the engine; if you haven't driven the G please do. I want you to gun it a little and then a lot. If you can take the annoying and loud decibel punishment and like it then more power to you. I'll be nice and happy in my "boring" yet throaty BMW that doesn't make squint every time I hit the pedal.
likewise, if you havent sat in an e90 330i, you wouldnt understand how quiet these cars are. ive driven an e46 325 before, i swear, those cars sound more throaty than the e90. the e90 is too conservative. at least the 325/328/330 cars. i havent driven a g35 coupe but ive heard them and i think they sound amazing.
      03-21-2007, 02:15 AM   #29
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhaulball View Post
likewise, if you havent sat in an e90 330i, you wouldnt understand how quiet these cars are. ive driven an e46 325 before, i swear, those cars sound more throaty than the e90. the e90 is too conservative. at least the 325/328/330 cars. i havent driven a g35 coupe but ive heard them and i think they sound amazing.
I've test driven the 335i 3 times. My friend owns a 330i that I've been hopping into since he got it last year. I agree, my 330Ci does sound more throaty than the 335i. But I would never trade it for the sound of the G, no way. If the new G sounds anything like the old... hell no. The loud, ear piercing sound is no trade for the new less throaty sounding 335i.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2007, 07:41 AM   #30
kingbriani
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 Honda S2000

i, for one, am happy that another car is giving the 335 a run for its money performance-wise. i don't understand why some people are getting upset that another car might outperform a 3-series. if bmw doesn't get challenged by other manufacturers, they wont have as much encouragement to better their cars. hopefully, the g37 will continue to beat the 335 in magazine tests and come in at a much lower price point. if bmw loses market share to the infiniti, they just might start offering an lsd, maybe a performance package and other needed improvements. not to mention if demand for the 335i lessens, dealers will have to start offering more/better discounts.
Sport Package, Navigation, Bluetooth, Sunshade, Heated Seats, 6 mt
BBS RG-Rs
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2007, 08:37 AM   #31
Corey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '92 240SX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo8MRto335I View Post
A test comparing a BMW vs a Infinity in a Nissan owned track automatically jeopardize and compromises the neutrality of the review.

I don't even have to bring the subject of a possible competitor japanese car being tested in a BMW privately owned track in Germany, you all know it would be a less favorable review on any competitors car if you were to do a review on a BMW private track.

But back to the reality, I am still confused, I refuse to believe that is 2007 and BMW couldn't had figure out a way to cool down a turbocharged car.

I want to belive this is just a bogus exagerated test review. I want to believe that BMW innovative technology overcome silly and easy to fix overheating issues.

Please do not take this edmunds review as a hard fact. The last thing we need is to fuel a rumor talking about questionable BMW reliability.

Perhaps the oil sensor was a bit faulty. Where is the sensor located by the way? is it on the oil pan or on the oil filter bracket?

Carlos
Please. The threads quoted before weren't relevant? They were about the lack of an oil cooler in some 335s. This is a KNOWN problem. It was inevitable the problem would eventually show itself and apparently only four laps on Nissan's track was enough to make it happen. Would the results have been different on BMW's track? Sure, it may have taken a little longer for it to go into limp mode due to lower ambient temperature. But the fact it was done on Nissan's track doesn't exactly "compromise neutrality". The test was done by Edmunds, not Nissan. The article makes it pretty clear that even before the 335i overheated the G37 was superior on a racetrack.

Quote:
From the first corner driven in anger, it's easy to sense the G37's focus. There's firmer damping and better body control than in the BMW 335i. More impressive is the steering, which offers a perfect compromise of surface feel, steering effort and feedback. This makes the G37 more intuitive and better behaved at the cornering limit than the BMW — and the car we drove hadn't even been fitted with the optional four-wheel steering.

The engine, despite its longer stroke, retains the 7,500-rpm redline of the G35 sedan and makes genuinely usable power at high rpm. In tight corners the G's viscous limited-slip differential puts power down consistently through 245/40ZR19 rear rubber. Infiniti staggers the tires so the front gets smaller 225/40ZR19 tires. Both the 19-inch wheels and limited-slip differential are exclusive to the Sport Package.

It's clear when driving hard that Nissan is keenly aware its competition has upped the bar. The improvements to the G37 are shrewdly focused in areas which help the G compare favorably in exactly the conditions we were given to test the cars — on a racetrack. With the Sport Package comes stiffer springs, more aggressive dampers and larger antiroll bars. We'll withhold judgment about the G's ability to adapt to real-world driving as brilliantly as BMW's 3 Series until we're able to drive them both on the street.
Is it that hard to believe Nissan is bringing some serious competition to the table that you're going to try blaming faulty sensors? Competition is a good thing for all of us. Maybe this will be the motivation needed for BMW to do something official about the oil cooler issue.

And by the way you're about two decades too late to stop the "rumor" of questionable BMW reliability.

"You're going to have your heart broken, and you're gonna repair it with zipties."
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2007, 10:22 AM   #32
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
not 1 person in any of those threads mentions overheating... or remotely coming close.
There have now been 4 confirmed instances of auto's without the oil cooler overheating on a track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo8MRto335I View Post
I agree with you.. The links are in fact a bunch of topic with mismatch information. The vast majority of the information is still the people trying to figure out if the 335I has a oil cooler and where is located and that kind of stuff.

Again, nothing really relevant. False alarm!!

Carlos
Wrong. I linked long threads, in one (over 3 months ago) we were trying to determine if all auto's have one or no oil cooler. The conclusion was all auto's built between June 06-Dec '06 have no oil cooler. Autos w/sport after that SHOULD, but some are still being produced without them. We have multiple e-mails from BMW AG, BMW USA, and BMW Canada indicating all cars w/sport should have the oil cooler. The car in the Edmunds test, in all likelyhood, did not have it. How do I know? It was an auto, and odds are very good it was not produced after January (since it's only March).

So, cliff notes since you seen unable to read through long posts: ~90% of 335i's with auto in North America do not have an external oil cooler. All confirmed cases of overheated cars were autos. All autos w/sport should have an oil cooler. The oil cooler is located in the front passenger side fender, it is an inline oil cooler that connects to the oil filter. False Alarm? You read the Edmunds article, right?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2007, 12:03 PM   #33
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 325e

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus View Post
There have now been 4 confirmed instances of auto's without the oil cooler overheating on a track.

Wrong. I linked long threads, in one (over 3 months ago) we were trying to determine if all auto's have one or no oil cooler. The conclusion was all auto's built between June 06-Dec '06 have no oil cooler. Autos w/sport after that SHOULD, but some are still being produced without them. We have multiple e-mails from BMW AG, BMW USA, and BMW Canada indicating all cars w/sport should have the oil cooler. The car in the Edmunds test, in all likelyhood, did not have it. How do I know? It was an auto, and odds are very good it was not produced after January (since it's only March).

So, cliff notes since you seen unable to read through long posts: ~90% of 335i's with auto in North America do not have an external oil cooler. All confirmed cases of overheated cars were autos. All autos w/sport should have an oil cooler. The oil cooler is located in the front passenger side fender, it is an inline oil cooler that connects to the oil filter. False Alarm? You read the Edmunds article, right?

I'm not all out disagreeing with you. but all the instances of the car overheating were on the track, not in street use. not surprising but how many 335i owners take their car to the track and literally abuse it like edmunds did? 4 out of 6000 so far ? lets see, that's .00066%. not even one thousandth of a percent. i'm sure BMW AG is peeing in their pants.

the 335i was not built to be a track car out of the box. i'm not sure why everyone assumes that it should outperform everything on the track. it's a luxury sport sedan that is very comfortable for every day driving, and has a more refined and polished ride than any other car in the segment. the powerful engine is just an added bonus.

it's not like we haven't seen this before either. the 330ci was significantly slower than the g35, yet who won all the real unbiased comparos? not this edmunds, Nissan supplied and tampered with 335i compared to their skyline package G37. and call me a conspiracy theorist but what car company wouldn't do that to make their cheese look better?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2007, 04:22 PM   #34
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
I'm not all out disagreeing with you. but all the instances of the car overheating were on the track, not in street use. not surprising but how many 335i owners take their car to the track and literally abuse it like edmunds did? 4 out of 6000 so far ? lets see, that's .00066%. not even one thousandth of a percent. i'm sure BMW AG is peeing in their pants.

the 335i was not built to be a track car out of the box. i'm not sure why everyone assumes that it should outperform everything on the track. it's a luxury sport sedan that is very comfortable for every day driving, and has a more refined and polished ride than any other car in the segment. the powerful engine is just an added bonus.

it's not like we haven't seen this before either. the 330ci was significantly slower than the g35, yet who won all the real unbiased comparos? not this edmunds, Nissan supplied and tampered with 335i compared to their skyline package G37. and call me a conspiracy theorist but what car company wouldn't do that to make their cheese look better?
Answer: Lexus. lexus conducted a similar test, back when the is350 was new. they had an is350 and a SPORT PACKAGE 330i e90. believe it or not, not everyone in this world is shady. maybe u are cynical due to personal ethics?

also, your defense saying the 335i wasnt meant to be "track ready" is pretty contradicting. why is it that you feel the g37 isnt a better car than the 335i exactly? The BMW is neither as luxurious or sporty as the g37. So therefore the g37 would become the better Luxury Sports Sedan based on your standards correct?

people always use the defense that the bmw "handles" better. and used this to justify the bmw's lower HP history. but now something that handles better comes out, and you're saying who cares about handling, the bmw is better.
      03-21-2007, 04:47 PM   #35
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk View Post
its all opinion, they think it might handle better... infiniti is wak, and wont outrun the 335 in the power department with a 5 speed and 270 ft lb of torque....

i mean with 2-4 ft lb of torque and 24hp addition can beat a 335i?
when the 306 hp sedan wasnt able to beat the 328i with 230hp to 30 mph.. lol that funy stuff.... i sure hope that 24 hp can make the coupe almost a second faster to keep up with the 335i.
how ironic, the follow statement

but the g37 will smoke the 335 in the twisties!!

its apparent now that no one really gave a shit about bmw's ex-superiority in handling and lack of power; if theyre gonna use the "but the 335 has more hp" as a defense now.

...much irony.
      03-21-2007, 05:02 PM   #36
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
i dont care what other people said, i never relied on bmw handling for lack of power..

im gonnna wait on the numbers to see what handles better and so on... who is to say the 335i will outhandle the G. edmunds? who went to a nissan funded event? how would it look if edmunds went and wrote about how nissan threw the event and it lost to the 335i not only in handling but in power, nissan is not stupid,..... i wanna see some track numbers, i think the 335i was ahead until those damn nissan guys bugged it!!!!!!!

but i can def say that the 335i will outpeform in power and drags when comparing engines and some specs so far.
like i stated, Lexus had thrown a test between its is350 and 330i zsp.
reviewers still felt the 330i was a better car. i dont see any reason for cynicism in this nissan test... and i wasnt saying you cared about handling. its just ironic, next thing you know, 335i gets trumped in handling and speed, but the fanboys will still find something to say about the BMW that makes it superior in all ways.
      03-21-2007, 05:27 PM   #37
berm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i

One thing I know for sure that Nissan copied Pontiac G6 design.
Attached Images

03-21-2007, 06:42 PM   #38
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
FWIW, I used to frequent G35Driver.com when I had my modded '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan; I just checked that Forum just to see what the folks over there are saying about the '08 G37 as well...99% hate it and at this point (just from the pics and preliminary review) are not motivated to trade in their current G35's! Most feel like the new 3.7L V6 would've been better put to use had Infiniti dropped it into the current style G35 Coupe.
still owning G35 coupe (05 model) and new G37 is pure ugly.
G35 > G37 in terms of styling.
nice approach on other performance upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2007, 09:33 PM   #39
Simple1
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 40i M Sport

wow Uhaulball, you seem to be doing alot of fighting, . Anyway it definitely doesn't look as good as the old one ( I have one in my drive right now all black & tinted up, so not biased at all) I'll say that and I concur about the noise inside the G very loud above 60 miles not good noise but road noise. All the wind gets into the cabin very iritating to say the least @ 120mph in the 335 I can still hear what's going on, this is how a luxary sports sedan in built. I hope they really fixed that in the new one. But it does better over the bumps than the stupid thumb flats on my car right now. Until I see actual numbers then I'm going to keep shut.

F80 M3 Euro Delivered = Gone too Soon

e90 335i debadged = Gone but not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2007, 11:34 AM   #40
4nroots
Subluxator
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335d, E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by albeik View Post
I think the looks of the G Coupe from these pictures are pretty bad. It even looks like a pre-production car (no badges and dirty like hell). The dirt and the most boring color doesn't help show the lines.

The best picture I found is this:

The more I look at it the more I like it more than the current G35 Coupe. Can't wait to see it in person.

I posted a summary here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=19
these 2 are better

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2007, 05:07 PM   #41
YUN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
its all opinion, they think it might handle better... infiniti is wak, and wont outrun the 335 in the power department with a 5 speed and 270 ft lb of torque....

i mean with 2-4 ft lb of torque and 24hp addition can beat a 335i?
when the 306 hp sedan wasnt able to beat the 328i with 230hp to 30 mph.. lol that funy stuff.... i sure hope that 24 hp can make the coupe almost a second faster to keep up with the 335i.
You better back up what you say, I have both 07 G35s and 330i E90 and 330i wont hold a candle in acceleration against G. Handelingwise its very tight race, in real life 335i is faster than my G but not by much I can assure you so dont expect to blow a new G unless your car is PROCEDE preped. Now back to 328i you've got to be kidding me. It's good that infiniti is pushing a bar it'll make BMW to push even harder, could be LSD and ZHP package down the road.:rocks:
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2007, 05:31 PM   #42
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep

brisk whats the point of all this dispute dude. the fact is, the new G is a HOT car. at this point i am sure even you can admit that you just like your 335i better cuz of brand preference... the truth is, even if the G37 was truly a better car than the 335i (which i believe it does have the edge) you wouldnt pick it over ur e92. to be honest, i wouldnt either.

here is an example, though a stretch. would you choose the co6 over the 335? the co6 spanks the 335, but you wouldnt get it would u... i wouldnt either. so lets drop the straight-line accel of g37 vs. 335. because we both know regardless of the "winner" in that comparison, some people just wont give a crap and will pick the 335.
      03-22-2007, 05:48 PM   #43
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I dont like the new G37's styling. I prefer the previous model.

As for the G37 out handling the 335- good for them :rocks:
This should give BMW a push to better their cars. Competition is always good for the consumers. Frankly Im sick and tired of hearing that BMW is losing its sportiness. I think it's slowly but surely becoming more of a luxury oriented maker.

I too find it ironic that now people are using the "my 335 is faster in acceleration" card to combat the statement that the G37 "outhandles the BMW 335". It's true that we are always defensive of what we drive but sometimes we are so deeply submerged in that fantasy world that we dont allow ourselves to see things in any other way.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2007, 05:49 PM   #44
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

A Z06 or a 335i? Man, I'd take the Z06 in a second. Nevermind out accelerate, that thing out-everything's a 335i.

As for the G37; I don't think it will have an "edge" when push comes to shove. Acceleration aside (who cares about 2/10ths in the 1/4, seriously?), I think even if Infiniti did gear the suspension for a track and it does do some things better, it'll suffer on the street. Some folks won't care about that, and that's fine, I understand the desire for a track burner. I think what the 335i will do better than the G37 is combine solid handling with good drivability in a way Infiniti hasn't figured out yet.

Still, we haven't seen ANY numbers of track times. Just because a car has 17% firmer springs doesn't mean it'll be faster around a track. Let's wait and see.

Whatever the result I have to give a thumbsup to Infiniti; they've obviously made a good car.
Appreciate 0