E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing > GT4 "realistic"???

12-28-2007, 09:45 AM   #1
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

GT4 "realistic"???

I finally got a GT force pro wheel yesterday so I could play GT4. Been waiting since I got my son the PS2 for his birthday in September.

Is it just me or does every stinking car over-react and swing out in crazy fashion? It took me over 45 minutes to finally get the M5 CSL around that damn corner to get stage 9 of my B license test.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 12:16 PM   #2
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

did you mean ps3??? or did you really get your kid a ps2 like 4 years late

oh and gt4 is anti realistic...try forza 2 for the 360
      12-28-2007, 01:56 PM   #3
phantom330
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

you just got a ps2????????? I never liked the wheel, you can't drive as good as you can with the controller.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 06:31 PM   #4
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
oh and gt4 is anti realistic...try forza 2 for the 360
+1

Forza is a driving sim. Read somewhere it literally simulates every moving part in and on the car, though that's a bit hard to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 07:03 PM   #5
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Forza is about damage, GT is about grip and taking the proper line.

Yes GT is realistic, you just think everything is over twitchy because you don't realize how fast you are going. I am hoping they will add adaptive blur to GT5 to help that.

That's how cars act, so no it's not a "crazy fashion". It's a VERY steep learning curve, it just throws you in there but once you get it you will love it.

They key is to drive like you're on the track, take the proper line at the proper speed, only brake when your going straight, don't slam the brakes you will sow down slower then if you ease into them, don't just go full throttle everywhere especially around corners. Did I mention taking the proper line?

12-30-2007, 10:04 AM   #6
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

No, his cousin got the ps3 and he wastes enough of his day with his DS and PSP, I don't want him to be a total couch potato. His teacher told us at his conference that he was #1 in class, so want to keep that a priority.

I've learned a bit from the license testing, but I guess you are right about the speed and the lack of associated screen movement. My brakes seem to be WAY more responsive than my accelerator pedal heading into the apex. Every time I think I'm in a good spot to start to apply the gas, I spin out into the gravel and fail the test. I can't get that Citreon around Laguna Seca now.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 01:23 PM   #7
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

That's accurate actually. Can't count the number of times I've been playing a driving game and I don't make what I consider to be a pretty gentle corner, then I look at the speedo next time through and I'm going well over 100, gee that explains it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 09:41 PM   #8
djmatty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 330i; 1999 328i (RIP)

You just don't know how to drive.

But yeah, I have no problem.
      12-30-2007, 09:58 PM   #9
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Just slow down, WAY down. Especially when your on the games street tires, you just can't be hauling ass around! Once you get race rubber it's a bit easier and you can really start powering around.
      12-30-2007, 11:57 PM   #10
djmatty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 330i; 1999 328i (RIP)

You don't really have to slow down, just brake a bit earlier than you think you should.

Btw, I just downloaded the GT5 demo and am playing it, it's definitely FTW. I miss rumble, though...
      01-01-2008, 10:42 PM   #11
Driv3r
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
just to see how hard the test u were talking about was, i took it into my own hands and saw for myself, second try i get a silver trophy. thing is i have 10millioncredits and have walked all over that game for years, i think ive spents months worth of time on that game since it came out...if you need any help or tips id have no problem helping you out
      01-02-2008, 09:46 AM   #12
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

So think back to the third day after you started playing with a wheel, was it as easy then?
I consider myself an above-average driver in real life, but I was consciously thinking of the game while driving over the last couple of days, and there just isn't the kind of feedback sitting in a chair (no sound of wheels slipping, no feel for the friction point where the tires are just starting to slip out from under you) so I think I can continue to increase the accelerator and go.
Appreciate 0