E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Weird noise, asking for opinions?

01-11-2019, 04:13 PM   #1
hateahater
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Comp

Garage List
Exclamation Weird noise, asking for opinions?

I have 2011 E92 335xi. The car has almost 80k on it with full bolt ons, jb4, and mhd backend. Car makes great power, and runs fine for the most part. Recently I've run into a little issue i just can't put my finger on. I was told this is the ac compressor engaging but i can't say i agree?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO6doZ9fbmw

So the only thing i noticed with the car acting different is when turning the wheel completely, instead of the rpms just going up. Most of the time it will have a up and down effect and cause the car to jerk forward along matching the rpms. other then that i have a slick clicking sound every so often when at idle or a quick throttle blimp to 1k will cause the same ticking sound which i'm guessing is the throttle body opening and closing. Heres a video of the clicking noise, notice its pretty loud. from messing with the throttle too much it'll cause the car to die as you can see at the end of this video. (Oil temp was cool also)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkGBZdD6ACM

Please let me know what you think, car runs fine for now but ill take all the opinions i can get.

Last edited by hateahater; 01-11-2019 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: Couldn't get u2b code to work...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 07:34 PM   #2
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_E92Machine View Post
I have 2011 E92 335xi. The car has almost 80k on it with full bolt ons, jb4, and mhd backend. Car makes great power, and runs fine for the most part. Recently I've run into a little issue i just can't put my finger on. I was told this is the ac compressor engaging but i can't say i agree?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO6doZ9fbmw

So the only thing i noticed with the car acting different is when turning the wheel completely, instead of the rpms just going up. Most of the time it will have a up and down effect and cause the car to jerk forward along matching the rpms. other then that i have a slick clicking sound every so often when at idle or a quick throttle blimp to 1k will cause the same ticking sound which i'm guessing is the throttle body opening and closing. Heres a video of the clicking noise, notice its pretty loud. from messing with the throttle too much it'll cause the car to die as you can see at the end of this video. (Oil temp was cool also)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkGBZdD6ACM

Please let me know what you think, car runs fine for now but ill take all the opinions i can get.
I found your post so weird because i noticed the EXACT same noise recently. For me is only when i drive the car hard and then i am idling. I feel like its coming from the area where the boost solenoid is. So i replaced it. Still hear the noise once in a while not all the time. Noise goes away when i press the gas slightly. Returns only on idle. IDK i gave up since car drives fine and no codes. The noise goes in and out during idle..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 06:55 PM   #3
fatty335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
I found your post so weird because i noticed the EXACT same noise recently. For me is only when i drive the car hard and then i am idling. I feel like its coming from the area where the boost solenoid is. So i replaced it. Still hear the noise once in a while not all the time. Noise goes away when i press the gas slightly. Returns only on idle. IDK i gave up since car drives fine and no codes. The noise goes in and out during idle..
Same here...not sure what it is but appears to be a normal sound these cars make. Mine only appears when oil is really warm (~240) on a hot day at lowest idle.

Last edited by fatty335; 01-14-2019 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: change "the" to "to"
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 07:05 PM   #4
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatty335 View Post
Same here...not sure what it is but appears the be a normal sound these cars make. Mine only appears when oil is really warm (~240) on a hot day at lowest idle.
Exactly with mine. OP has other issues i dont notice. Dont think they are related.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 08:44 PM   #5
hateahater
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Exactly with mine. OP has other issues i dont notice. Dont think they are related.
The other noise i was told is the throttle body opening and closing but my mechanic wasn't sure why it does it so often, it'll make that noise at idle every 50-60 seconds or so.

The first video i posted, that noise is only present when oil temp is high, it doesn't matter if its warm or cold outside but then again my oil temps are usually a little higher then normal considering i'm fbo and tuned to make 500hp on e85.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 08:46 PM   #6
hateahater
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatty335 View Post
Same here...not sure what it is but appears the be a normal sound these cars make. Mine only appears when oil is really warm (~240) on a hot day at lowest idle.
Im in the same boat, i thought about solenoids also but i have no codes and from the research i decided it probably wasn't the solenoids.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 10:41 PM   #7
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

It could be injector noise.. just a wild guess. Mine seems to come from the rear on the passanger side. If ur looking at the engine with hood open.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 04:17 PM   #8
hateahater
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It could be injector noise.. just a wild guess. Mine seems to come from the rear on the passanger side. If ur looking at the engine with hood open.
Do you have stock injenctors? I don’t think it’s injectors or you’d think it’d be constant, it comes and goes only when engine is hot. You can hear how loud my injectors are before the other noise starts.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 12:48 AM   #9
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_E92Machine View Post
Do you have stock injenctors? I don’t think it’s injectors or you’d think it’d be constant, it comes and goes only when engine is hot. You can hear how loud my injectors are before the other noise starts.
Yeah makes sense probably not injector. Mine are stock yes.

Lately with the cold weather i dont hear it.
Appreciate 0