E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > So the Supra is getting a makeover...

05-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #67
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

Supra's are still one of my all time favorite cars
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #68
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94JZA80 View Post
its very possible...but i guess it all depends on how power-hungry he is. if he's happy with the current power level, it'll be tough to convince him to go 35R when his power & torque curves are as nice as they are. to see 300whp/400wtq as early as 4000rpm is quite impressive. i know the 35R is a great match for those BMW 3.0-3.2 litre inline-6's, but unless i was looking for more power, i'd be pretty happy with the SC61.

on a side note, Shawn (A4RingedONE8T) and i had a brief discussion about hypothetical future situations last night ...since you saw Shawn's and Sam's dynos on bf.c already, i'm sure you're already aware of Shawn's plan to move to a smaller turbo in the near future. without going into too much detail (i probably shouldn't even be talking about it at this point), its very possible that Shawn's PT74 could end up under my hood . my biggest dilemma at this point would be coming up with the $$$ to have Shawn fab me a manifold and some custom exhaust piping, and purchase a wastegate. also, i'm not crazy about the idea of running such a large turbo on the stock fuel system. while i know it could make impressive enough numbers on stock fuel, i'm sure the area under the power & torque curves would suffer. i.e. without more fuel, i'll only be able to boost so high w/ a PT74, and that boost level probably wouldn't even begin to scratch the surface of the efficiency range of a PT74...spool time would effectively suffer, and lag would prevail. in effect, it would be a waste of a turbo on my car unless i upgraded the fuel system. its one thing to come up with the cash for a manifold, wastgate, and some custom exhaust piping...but add a fuel system to that, and we're easily talking another $1,000-$3,000. at any rate, its alot to think about, but its something i can't even consider until i have the funds...
you just named many reasons NOT to put that turbo on your car. Its a waste on his and would be a waste on yours. Get something reasonable if you want to upgrade. Area under the curve is what you want for a street car.
      05-03-2010, 08:30 AM   #69
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
you just named many reasons NOT to put that turbo on your car. Its a waste on his and would be a waste on yours. Get something reasonable if you want to upgrade. Area under the curve is what you want for a street car.
had a few days the think about it, and i've already made up my mind...

without a doubt the reasons NOT TO upgrade to a PT74 far outweigh the reasons TO upgrade to a PT74. if i had the money for the manifold, wastegate, exhaust piping, AND an upgraded fuel system, then only boosting below this turbo's efficiency range wouldn't be an limitation. hence spool would not suffer, lag would not prevail, and the power & torque curves would look nice and healthy. but i can't afford a better fuel system right now, let along the other required parts. add to that the fact that i'm trying to take the car in a road racing direction, not a high-HP street car direction, and that's also reason not to get a "1000whp" turbo lol.
      05-03-2010, 09:02 AM   #70
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
so i confirmed the worst of my fears today - the Seibon TS hood doesn't clear my new Mint speed strut bar. it comes in contact with the 3rd row of louvers and the "spine" (center support) of the hood. but i'm determined to make it work, so the hood will get cut one way or another to accommodate the strut bar. but first, a few pics of the strut bar installed...it looks a bit lonely without the motor lol:

...so i climbed into the engine bay, let the hood down until it hit the strut bar, and i marked off a line with tape on the underside of the hood...it turned out to be located approx. 5.25" from the leading edge of the 3rd row of louvers:

...so i climbed out of the engine bay and measured up 5.25 inches, this time on the topside of the hood, and marked it off with tape. i then taped off the sides of the louvers as necessary. this is what i came up with:

...originally i had planned on leaving all three rows of louvers as bare CF. but now that i'm going to have to trim away approx. half of the 3rd row of louvers (maybe a bit more), i'm think of leaving just the first 2 rows of louvers as bare CF, and painting what remains of the 3rd row Anthracite to match the rest of the hood and car. i'm not entirely sure when i'll get around to cutting the hood, but i'll be sure to document it. stay tuned for updates soon...
      05-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #71
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Paul cut in the engine bay and the rear hatch yesterday, so i went today to take some pics:

this pic was taken a bit later than the previous one when the sun was low enough to peek in...

...my camera sucks and the lighting was pretty bad, so the pics do the color no justice...but come Sunday everything will be painted save for the hood. so hopefully i'll have enough light, natural or not, to take some better pics.

i also went there to trim the hood to fit around the Mint Speed strut bar. unfortunately it wasn't clearing by a whole 1/2"-3/4"! so i ended up having to cut out substantial sections of the 3rd row of louvers...its hard to imagine how the genuine TS hood clears the TRD/Mint Speed strut bar...those hoods must bow more than the Seibon TS hood. i probably could have cut away an inch or so less than i did, but in the end it wouldn't have mattered - i don't like seeing holes that big in the hood, or that much strut bar peeking through for that matter. at any rate, i used an air dremel with a grinding/sanding disk to make the rough cuts, and a grinding burr to smooth out and straighten the edges a bit:

from this angle you can hardly tell, but most people (myself included) aren't 4'0"...at any higher of an angle, the cuts are viewable unfortunately...

...i was going to sand and ease the edges after using the burr, but b/c i made the swift decision to just fill the 3rd row of louvers right after cutting, i didn't bother. when Paul goes to fill those louvers, he'll cut the rest of them out and get rid of any remnants of 3rd row louver edges - that way it'll look nice and smooth on that area of the underside of the hood when it finally gets painted.

i forgot to take pics of the cutting i did to the spine on the underside of the hood. but i took out approx. a 4" section, and the strut bar clears just fine now. i'm going to have Paul glass shut the holes that were left in the spine after i got done cutting...that way he can paint over that section of the underside and it won't look unfinished.

anyways, i should have the car back sunday evening, and i'll probably start putting the motor back in tuesday night. stay tuned for more pics...
      05-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #72
Nutballa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6 // BMW F22 M235i

Awesome project you have there! I'm going to subscribe! Got any pics of your motor that you took out?

"Power is nothing without Control" - Pirelli.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #73
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutballa View Post
Awesome project you have there! I'm going to subscribe! Got any pics of your motor that you took out?
thanks! i don't have any pictures of the motor, but it doesn't look like anything special...its just the stock 2JZ-GTE. regardless, i'll try to remember to take the camera with me the next time i head to the shop to do more assembly work - i'll take pics of the engine bay progress, and the motor is just sitting on the floor, so i'll snap some pics of that too...
      05-05-2010, 10:10 AM   #74
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
so i went to look at some of the paint work on Saturday, and let me say that i don't regret going without a pearl coat one bit. here are some pictures i took...

OE mirrors & front bumper grill (both of which will not be going back on the car), hood latches, OE door handles, APR GT3 mirror bases, refueling door, and RMM wing end plates (to cover the otherwise exposed screws on the vertical supports):

OE front bumper:

OE rear spoiler (which is not going back on the car):

rear bumper, end supports for RMM wing, OE 3-piece side skirts (also not going back on the car), and OE rear spats:

new targa top:

...sorry about the picture quality...it was an overcast day, not to mention my point-n-shoot camera sucks anyways...
      05-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #75
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
went back on Sunday to see the paint work finished...

05-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #76
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

not sure on the colour yet 100% but i cant wait to see the finished result. I've been following this thread everyday. Love supras.
      05-06-2010, 08:20 AM   #77
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
not sure on the colour yet 100% but i cant wait to see the finished result. I've been following this thread everyday. Love supras.
well that makes you a rare breed...most folks either 100% love it or 100% hate it. either way, thanks for following the thread .

as for updates, reassembly is taking longer than expected. i haven't had time to work on the Supra for the past 4 days now. i'm hoping to knock a bulk of the work out this weekend though.

on a side note, the Axis wheels i'm getting a killer deal on may not be here for a while - they're currently mounted on a Supra that belongs to a pitcher for the Seattle Mariners, and god only knows when he'll be able to get his car back to Fifteen52 (Shawn's shop) given his busy baseball season. so unfortunately i may have to use the stock wheels for a while longer...which also unfortunately means that i need new rubber in the rear, and i did not want to have to spend money on new tires that are only going to see limited use before i switch to the other wheels...perhaps i can find some used rubber with decent tread left. also, i'll need spacers or the stock wheels are going to look like shit on a Supra with new paint and aftermarket bodywork. with that, i'm going to clean the stock wheels/tires and see how the graphite color looks with the new paint. if i don't like the way it looks, i'll probably respray them with Duplicolor "bronze" for the time being...
      05-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #78
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
got some better quality pictures of the paint (in sunlight this time)...don't mind the dust in the first picture:

OE rear wing, OE 3-piece side skirts, OE mirrors, and OE rear spats painted...even though they're not going back on the car:

...and a garage full of parts waiting to go back in and on the car:

05-07-2010, 02:45 PM   #79
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

looks great!

where are you installing the golf clubs?
      05-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #80
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
looks great!

where are you installing the golf clubs?
LOL they used to be "installed" in the hatch of my old Celica. since then, they've been a permanent garage fixture and will remain there ...unless i absolutely have to lug them around in the Supra, in which case i'll just have to wrap the whole bag up in towls or something.
      05-16-2010, 07:52 PM   #81
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

so i finally got the front calipers done and put them all back on the car:

...and the motor is ready to go back in:

a pic of the 2JZ-GTE & the V160 while they're out:

the stock twins:

...and a cool paint shot:

i should have the motor in early this week, and i'm hoping to have the final details worked out within another week or two. i haven't spoken to Paul in a while, so i'll have to call him and see how he's doing with the hood. he'll have to install the sideskirts too. it also turns out that the guy who i'm getting the Axis Pentas from is going to be busy for the rest of the major league baseball season, so i'm probably going to have to sport the stock wheels for a while and repaint them to work with the new paint job...and get spacers in the mean time...

Last edited by 94JZA80; 05-16-2010 at 08:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 08:09 PM   #82
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Cant wait to see the car finished. We need a full photoshoot done. About the paint, I love it. Looks well good and will go well with the CF treatment to the body. Very nice job on the red calipers too.
      05-16-2010, 08:13 PM   #83
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Also, about the wheels, are there no other wheels you like? I think it would suit some nice 5 spokes, most Supras do Also, you might be able to get the Axis elsewhere, have a look around.
      05-16-2010, 08:13 PM   #84
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

^

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94JZA80 View Post
it also turns out that the guy who i'm getting the Axis Pentas from is going to be busy for the rest of the major league baseball season, so i'm probably going to have to sport the stock wheels for a while and repaint them to work with the new paint job...and get spacers in the mean time...
      05-16-2010, 08:33 PM   #85
jhv
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

subbed
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 11:05 PM   #86
Chenry135
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former 2008 135i/ 2006 STI

Love The Color!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 11:17 PM   #87
ben14142001
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

I like the color too. What color is it exactly? I find it hard to describe, lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 01:02 AM   #88
BigRobG
Registered
Rep
Drives: Pontiac G8 GT

NICE!
Appreciate 0