E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Best insurance company to insure teens?

06-14-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Best insurance company to insure teens?

Well, just got screwed big time. Called to see how much to insure my 18-yr-old daughter for a month (before she leaves for college), as she just got her license, and turns out it's mandatory (AIG, or 21st century now) to insure licensed drivers. And yes, I'd have to pay for her even when she won't touch my cars for 4 years. Oh, and conveniently, she's rated to drive my three cars (including the M3), when she'd never touch but ONE. Now I have to pay $900 extra every 6 months, regardless if she drives or not. Nice.

Is there any less idiotic companies out there? This was the cheapest company to insure my cars, so now will have to pay more no matter what, but lesson learned. NEVER give those a$$holes information they might use against you. Will ask a lot of general questions to other insurance companies (even blocking my number), but am afraid will end up not mentioning her on the new policy (she wouldn't be insured anyway, so what the hell does an insurance company looses? NOTHING).

Just want to hear your experiences. What makes me angry is why the hell do I have to pay for her to drive 2 sports cars when she'd NEVER touch them? And why can't you remove a teen as a driver for whatever reason? That's ridiculous. Sorry for the venting. All comments welcome.

Last edited by JCtx; 06-14-2009 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
spectrumphoto
Just another peanut in the Turd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: g16M850;f30M550;f80M3-ED;e90M3

get your daughter her own separate policy for the one car. You will not get teh discounts associated with your family policy but at least you can shop it around and it will be for her alone on only one car. If she is a good student ect. then there are discounts offered for that. A good broker knows the proper tricks when underwriting to keep things affordable within reason. At 32 I pay under $100 month for the E90M3 in SoCal with a $100K/300K policy with a $500 Deductible (Mercury Insurance) Could have never got that rate without a good broker.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
JME
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Well, just got screwed big time. Called to see how much to insure my 18-yr-old daughter for a month (before she leaves for college), as she just got her license, and turns out it's mandatory (AIG, or 21st century now) to insure licensed drivers. And yes, I'd have to pay for her even when she won't touch my cars for 4 years. Oh, and conveniently, she's rated to drive my three cars (including the M3), when she'd never touch but ONE. Now I have to pay $900 extra every 6 months, regardless if she drives or not. Nice.
I'm not gonna call 100% BS on this, as I am not in the insurance business, but I do know many insurance companies are hurting right now and are coming up with all sorts of BS reasons to make it cost more money. (My uncle is an insurance broker, and we got into a conversation about this a few months back.)

As far as I know, there is no legal responsibility to carry insurance unless you have a car registered in your name. If your daughter drives your car without insurance, then you are trouble, but if she is not driving your cars, then there is no reason for her to be insured. Many policies state that someone under a certain age can be on your policy if they are a full-time student, but there is no policy that requires that to be true.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Thanks guys. Well, I'm relieved I called Progressive and Geico, and neither have that retarded policy, so I cancelled that policy effective Monday at midnight (the soonest it can be done).

The sad part is I'll have to pay more since those a$$holes won't insure me without my daughter, but the good news is Geico doesn't charge you a penny more for students with good grades living away from home. The bad news is it still costs $1,100 vs $700 (for my 3 cars with full coverage and max limits), but with daughter included. The other clowns raised my rate from $700 to $1,600 to add my daughter, and I COULD NOT REMOVE HER .

Will check some other carriers tomorrow. Somebody mentioned 'Mercury'; will check them out too. Progressive was $1,000 without my daughter, but at least I can add her (prorated basis) only for the days I want; seems like more trouble for just $100. So GEICO is winning right now. Will also check Allstate and State Farm, but I'm sure they'll be higher. Thanks again gang.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
GEICO can be a bitch to deal with if something happens. I can't really speak from the policy holder side, but as someone who has been hit twice by GEICO insured motorists I can attest they will do everything in their power not to pay out.
      06-14-2009, 07:35 PM   #6
MrZ
Second Lieutenant
Belarus
Rep
Drives: 330i

Don't know about US, but in Canada there is a way not to include everyone in the household into insurance policy. One of them that I know for sure, is to write a letter, saying that your daughter is not allowed and can not drive those cars. But be careful, is she does drive it and gets caught she might be in a real trouble.
      06-14-2009, 07:41 PM   #7
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
GEICO can be a bitch to deal with if something happens. I can't really speak from the policy holder side, but as someone who has been hit twice by GEICO insured motorists I can attest they will do everything in their power not to pay out.
isn't that a good thing though i mean i wouldn't want my insurance company to pay to anyone who makes a claim. I have Geico and I'm 20 there prices are very reasonable but I'm under a student driver so that saves us money.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 08:06 PM   #8
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
isn't that a good thing though i mean i wouldn't want my insurance company to pay to anyone who makes a claim. I have Geico and I'm 20 there prices are very reasonable but I'm under a student driver so that saves us money.
It is a good thing for your company to defend you, but when there is concrete evidence that your client is at fault and they still put up a fight, that crosses a line. (See this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166281 . Even with the photo evidence we had a hard time with them.) I have also heard that they give clients a hard time in some cases as well. Google "GEICO Complaints/Problems/Etc..." and you will find literally THOUSANDS of stories from people insured by GEICO who get the runaround when they filed a claim.
      06-14-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

Quote:
It is a good thing for your company to defend you, but when there is concrete evidence that your client is at fault and they still put up a fight, that crosses a line. (See this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166281 . Even with the photo evidence we had a hard time with them.) I have also heard that they give clients a hard time in some cases as well. Google "GEICO Complaints/Problems/Etc..." and you will find literally THOUSANDS of stories from people insured by GEICO who get the runaround when they filed a claim.
beats me i never had a problem with them i think every insurance company has its ups and downs
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 01:58 PM   #10
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

i've never heard of the mandatory insurance for all licensed driver thing. that's absurd!

have you tried putting your daughther's name as the primary driver on the oldest car you have? also note that it's a weekend car and she'll be driving very low miles per year. that should substantially reduce her premium?

i always put my dad as the primary driver on my cars and my name under our 89 pick up.
      06-15-2009, 02:20 PM   #11
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
I got the run around from Allstate (other guy's insurance). Pictures, testimonies, and even police report showed 100% fault to other driver and they still denied my claim because after the fact when the company asked the guy who hit me he lied to them and said it was my fault even though the poice report showed he said differently (and I faxed that to them with the pictures). Then I stepped it up a notch (lawyer, ended up getting paid by them as well) then they reversed it and paid out fairly quickly. Pretty lame IMO.

I have super cheap insurance from State Farm, I have liked them so far. Have not had a claim with them ever though.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 11:45 PM   #12
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Thanks a lot for all the help folks. The only 2 companies that forced you to add any licensed drivers are AIG (21st insurance now, so you can't tell) and Allstate. All others you can add and remove as you please, like it should be.

Anyway, ended up with GEICO. They didn't charge a penny for adding my daughter since she's a top 10% student and she's going away for college, but the bottom line was they were about the same as Progressive and Esurance ($1,000 every 6 months for my 3 cars) after adding my daughter for the summer; just didn't want the hassle of having to do that. Plus called the best 2 local bodyshops and both rated GEICO the best by far. Case closed right there. Thanks again gang.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 11:55 PM   #13
MVEED3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

FYI, I have Allstate and was able to exclude my 17y/o son on the M3. This helped out a ton. 17y/o + 2008 M3 = big money for insurance premiums. We have him on the GS430 and it's more reasonable. Bottom line is that you need to find an insurance guy that will work for you.

Allen
2013 HP4 Competition
Appreciate 0