E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Need help w/ college suggestions for my major?

View Poll Results: which one is easier ?
International Transportation and Customs 12 70.59%
Computer Networking and Technical Support 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

01-08-2008, 09:36 AM   #1
shipill
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Macan S

Need help w/ college suggestions for my major?

What do you think is the easiest college major?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
3onDubs
You live by the sword...
Rep
Drives: M4

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
In Iran or do you plan to go to school somewhere else?

Picking a major based on its difficulty is probably not the greatest idea imo.....you will end up paying for it for the rest of your life.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 09:40 AM   #3
shipill
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onDubs View Post
In Iran or do you plan to go to school somewhere else?

Picking a major based on its difficulty is probably not the greatest idea imo.....you will end up paying for it for the rest of your life.

In Canada
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
3onDubs
You live by the sword...
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipill View Post
In Canada
College is very short. Do you have any idea what you want to do for the rest of your life?

After you decide that, you can plan college accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 11:29 AM   #5
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

I'm in the same boat... I wanted to take this semester off to do some art, chill and all that, but I'm sitting on a $5.5k scholarship. If I stop going for a semester I lose it, and thats a nice chunk of money for free.. Should cover about two terms at community college.
Told my dad once that is up, I'm going to take my money earned from stocks, travel the world for a few months, and try to figure out what I want to do and where I want to live.

As of right now I have no clue. Any classes you like in particular??
History, Philosophy, and Piano are some of my favorites.
I was looking at being a Male Nurse, something with Wireless Networks, or being a chef for a while.
Was thinking about majoring in Wireless Networks, get a minor in cooking, then opening up my own cafe/restaurant somewhere on a beach. All this pollution in the city has been pissing me off..

-Nathan
      01-08-2008, 11:39 AM   #6
3onDubs
You live by the sword...
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expired View Post
I'm in the same boat... I wanted to take this semester off to do some art, chill and all that, but I'm sitting on a $5.5k scholarship. If I stop going for a semester I lose it, and thats a nice chunk of money for free.. Should cover about two terms at community college.
Told my dad once that is up, I'm going to take my money earned from stocks, travel the world for a few months, and try to figure out what I want to do and where I want to live.

As of right now I have no clue. Any classes you like in particular??
History, Philosophy, and Piano are some of my favorites.
I was looking at being a Male Nurse, something with Wireless Networks, or being a chef for a while.
Was thinking about majoring in Wireless Networks, get a minor in cooking, then opening up my own cafe/restaurant somewhere on a beach. All this pollution in the city has been pissing me off..

-Nathan

Those 3 careers are completely unrelated. The decision of which to follow should be made before college rather than after imo.

It's nice to take some time off right after finishing college, but too much time can be dangerous (depending on the field you wish to go into), so you'll have to balance that with the given demand on the desired career.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 11:47 AM   #7
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

I don't know about young folks these days but seem like they have everything firgure out backward. They rather delay their education and travel the world first then think about their career later.

Guys/girls, wake up. Education will only get more expensive (some of you are gifted and have great scholarship so take advantage of it). Delaying your education will only make it more difficult in the future. I remember paying $800 for 12+ hours of credit a semester back in the 80's. That has more then doubled.

Second, why are folks not eager to get a degree and start finding a real job with health insurance and other benefits? In this country, if you get a serious illness and have no health insurance, you will be digging out of a hole for a long time if you survive your illness and try to get back on your feet financially.

duh?

Expired, if you like to start your own business someday, I highly suggest majoring in business.

My 2cents, get your education and career out of the way first then after that you can live the world if you want.
      01-08-2008, 12:34 PM   #8
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Those 3 careers are completely unrelated. The decision of which to follow should be made before college rather than after imo.

It's nice to take some time off right after finishing college, but too much time can be dangerous (depending on the field you wish to go into), so you'll have to balance that with the given demand on the desired career.
Since when do career's have to be related?? Maybe I happen to like all of those fields.. instead of the common answer of.. yeah, I'm going to be a dentist/lawyer/doctor/etc.. when I grow up..

OP. The decision for your major should be made after your 2nd year in college, when you have completed your basics. It's not uncommon for people to change majors either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
I don't know about young folks these days but seem like they have everything firgure out backward. They rather delay their education and travel the world first then think about their career later.

Guys/girls, wake up. Education will only get more expensive (some of you are gifted and have great scholarship so take advantage of it). Delaying your education will only make it more difficult in the future. I remember paying $800 for 12+ hours of credit a semester back in the 80's. That has more then doubled.

Second, why are folks not eager to get a degree and start finding a real job with health insurance and other benefits? In this country, if you get a serious illness and have no health insurance, you will be digging out of a hole for a long time if you survive your illness and try to get back on your feet financially.

duh?

Expired, if you like to start your own business someday, I highly suggest majoring in business.

My 2cents, get your education and career out of the way first then after that you can live the world if you want.
Only reason I would major in business is if I planned on starting a company.
Just a little restaurant/cafe on the beach. Most of it is pretty simple, and if I need some legal help on ordinances and etc. I can talk to someone about it.

Yeah, eff traveling the world.. We should just go with what we first envisioned as our life long career, and hate every minute of it like 80% of people who graduated in the 80's or before. Back when it only mattered how much the job paid, and not the work environment. Back when people were willing to sacrifice 8+ hours a day working a job they hate, to buy 5 hours of happiness on the weekend.

About $1,000-1,200 a semester here at San Jac for 14-16 hours, depending on the classes. $600 before the books. One of the top Nursing schools in the country as well.

//Rant
Apparently life is all about finding a job that has health insurance, then working it for the rest of your life while the hate for your job destroys you psychologically. Do you know how long people have gone without needing life insurance?? It isn't a necessity. I'm sure I can find some website citing that if you never paid any type of insurance, you would have the same amount, if not more to cover yourself if anything happened. Maybe we should just go back to the old ways, and if someone got a serious illness they HAPPENED TO DIE FOR A CHANGE. I think it's ludicrous how doctors are sworn to save every human life, as if people weren't meant to die.
//End Rant

After my 2nd year is up, I will have my basics done and an associates, and most of my $5.5k scholarship used. I then plan to travel the world for that summer, or most of the fall semester using the money I have made trading stocks. Being that almost all of my classes are transferable I will be able to go pretty much anywhere, thus it will be easier to live/go to college wherever I want. It will also be easier to go back to school.
And no, unlike what most people tell you, if you take a break from college it isn't harder to go back. Most people that take a break plan on never going back, so the statistics end up telling us that most people that take a break never go back. 50% of statistics are made up/incorrect.

-Nathan
      01-08-2008, 01:00 PM   #9
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
haha easiest... ive been trying to find the easiest bio major at my school. still havent had much luck.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 01:14 PM   #10
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

I love the ideology of the younger generation, and I love the experience of the older generation.

I graduated HS and went right into college. I *knew* I wanted to be an engineer, and focused all of my efforts into finding the best school that I could afford. I now have my degree in Mech Engineering, and I have all but one or two classes completed for a Masters in Electical Engineering. Never did the thesis thing, as I wasn't into it anymore.

What I didn't know was what the hey I was going to do with my life and my degree. I'm glad I have it, as it's proven very versatile and valuable, but I don't use it. Never have, so to speak. Looking back, I should have joined the military for 2 years and gotten my eyes opened a little.

One thing I found interesting in college, and I've seen a few posts here to this effect; one group of guys I knew saw college as their last time to party and live it up, as they'll have to work at shit jobs the rest of their life. I saw it as a time to work my f'ing ass off for *cough*6*cough* years so I can party the rest of my life. So far it's working out well. Now I'm getting ready to start my own company (I'm 32), and while it'll be the hardest work I've probably ever done, I know I'll love it.

My point, you ask? Figure out what you do well, something that others can't do and enough people would be willing to pay you to do it. It may be solving problems, it may be working with people, it may be picking your nose (I don't know how you get paid for that, but I know a couple people that are trying). It doesn't have to be a traditional track like law, medicine, business, engineering....but be willing to start on the bottom. If you find something you love for which people will pay you, you'll never work a day in your life.

I hate my job now, but the experience has given me the confidence to start my own gig, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. There's something to be said for that too. You may take a job for the experience, knowing full well you'll leave in 3 years.

Don't base your decision on what to major because it's easy. I'd have never been an engineer for that! But I'm good with mechanical systems, I like problem solving, and I've always been really good at math and problem solving. The jobs I've had have allowed me to exercise and develop those skills, to find ways to improve my weaknesses, and know that some weaknesses are hopeless and I need to hire good people there. But if I'd have taken an easy major, I would have never developed to my potential, and I'd probably be slaving away for $50-$60k right now and be miserable.

My $.02.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 01:18 PM   #11
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

This all depends on your aptitude and the type of lifestyle you want to live. In Canada, University graduates have better jobs and higher income over College grads. College is practical application where as University is mostly Theory.

So the "easy" route from an academic perspective would be College. But my advice would be a University education in a technology related field of interest.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 01:21 PM   #12
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
I love the ideology of the younger generation, and I love the experience of the older generation.

I graduated HS and went right into college. I *knew* I wanted to be an engineer, and focused all of my efforts into finding the best school that I could afford. I now have my degree in Mech Engineering, and I have all but one or two classes completed for a Masters in Electical Engineering. Never did the thesis thing, as I wasn't into it anymore.

What I didn't know was what the hey I was going to do with my life and my degree. I'm glad I have it, as it's proven very versatile and valuable, but I don't use it. Never have, so to speak. Looking back, I should have joined the military for 2 years and gotten my eyes opened a little.

One thing I found interesting in college, and I've seen a few posts here to this effect; one group of guys I knew saw college as their last time to party and live it up, as they'll have to work at shit jobs the rest of their life. I saw it as a time to work my f'ing ass off for *cough*6*cough* years so I can party the rest of my life. So far it's working out well. Now I'm getting ready to start my own company (I'm 32), and while it'll be the hardest work I've probably ever done, I know I'll love it.

My point, you ask? Figure out what you do well, something that others can't do and enough people would be willing to pay you to do it. It may be solving problems, it may be working with people, it may be picking your nose (I don't know how you get paid for that, but I know a couple people that are trying). It doesn't have to be a traditional track like law, medicine, business, engineering....but be willing to start on the bottom. If you find something you love for which people will pay you, you'll never work a day in your life.

I hate my job now, but the experience has given me the confidence to start my own gig, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. There's something to be said for that too. You may take a job for the experience, knowing full well you'll leave in 3 years.

Don't base your decision on what to major because it's easy. I'd have never been an engineer for that! But I'm good with mechanical systems, I like problem solving, and I've always been really good at math and problem solving. The jobs I've had have allowed me to exercise and develop those skills, to find ways to improve my weaknesses, and know that some weaknesses are hopeless and I need to hire good people there. But if I'd have taken an easy major, I would have never developed to my potential, and I'd probably be slaving away for $50-$60k right now and be miserable.

My $.02.

+1. Good advice....
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 01:24 PM   #13
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrewt View Post
This all depends on your aptitude and the type of lifestyle you want to live. In Canada, University graduates have better jobs and higher income over College grads. College is practical application where as University is mostly Theory.

So the "easy" route from an academic perspective would be College. But my advice would be a University education in a technology related field of interest.
I can tell you that an Engineering degree is HIGHLY theoretical!

An Engineering Tech degree is very hands-on / practical. I know the systems are very different between Canada and the States.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 01:36 PM   #14
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I'd just like to add that most people change their major after the first semester or two of college. So I wouldnt fret about it too much but at the same time you should take that time to do more thinking and exploring. Also, dont go into a major just because it's easy, offers a lot of money or simply because your parents told you to. Do what YOU want to do because it is YOUR life, not anyone else's. G'luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 01:44 PM   #15
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

An Engineering Tech degree is very hands-on / practical. I know the systems are very different between Canada and the States.
Well here in Canada you need to attend University in order to get a true Engineering degree. Most are moderate to difficult programs (subject to the individual). I'm not talking about some community College certificate they slap words like "engineering" on to make it sound important.

Might as well register for one of those college courses you see on TV advertising GED's or "Become a web designer in 30 days, make big bucks, dude!".
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #16
inabis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
+100000000000000

I have a Masters in Aerospace Engineering and I can tell you that this is true. It's funny at my school business/human factors people would always see me busting my ass working in the library on some nights when there were parties going on. Don't get me wrong, I partied a lot but studied when I needed to. I just thought it was retarded to go to a Frat Party the night before a test.

But basically the way I always saw it was that it's a "work hard now play later" or a "play hard now and work later" relationship. All my friends who slacked off and didn't work too hard and partied all the time now are having a really hard time finding jobs. They're working in coffee shops, best buy or Publix/Giant/King Soopers equivalent. They're living paycheck to paycheck, depressed and are completely living in the past. I on the other hand, work 9 hours a day, get every other Friday off, can flex my time as I want and don't really have to worry whether I will have enough money to eat this month. I don't like looking down on people but I can't help thinking to myself why my friends spent all this money on education to end up somewhere they could have gone straight out of high school. It puts them in severe debt and no matter how much time they put in at BB it's going to take them a long while to pay off.

I have a friend (business slacker) who was trying to get a job with Coca-Cola. Me and her were talking and she was telling me: "omg if they give me 30G's a year I would be so happy!!" I almost had a heart attack hearing her say that. Most good business student straight out of school get 40-45G's. My advice to you is that if you want to travel the world and get education paid for, join the armed forces or at least the peace corps. If you know what you want then go to college and go do it. Listen man, I don't know if you're made of money or what not but to be honest college isn't the place for you to go and then figure out what you want to do-it's too expensive. You're thinking about becoming a male nurse? volunteer at a hospital. You want to start your own restaurant? Go work in one. Trust me, after a month or sometimes even a week, you may not know what you want to do but you definitely will know what you hate doing. And trust me my friend that is invaluable.

Trust me that hardest thing for me was realizing that what I think a person at a particular job does and what they actually do are waayyy different. The problem is, no one at school tells you this and by the time you find out, it's too late. I'll be honest, what I thought my job was going to be like and what I actually do are completely different. Would I still be where I am today if I knew what exactly my job function is? I don't know. I want to be an Astronaut but with NASA's funds drying up it's too early to tell. Hey I'm half way here already, after some working experience and a little more school we'll see how I feel.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #17
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

^ FWIW the first 2 years of college are for GE. This is why you can go to a community college and then transfer to a more prestigious school. You will also save a ton of money that way.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 02:31 PM   #18
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inabis View Post
Listen man, I don't know if you're made of money or what not but to be honest college isn't the place for you to go and then figure out what you want to do-it's too expensive. You're thinking about becoming a male nurse? volunteer at a hospital. You want to start your own restaurant? Go work in one. Trust me, after a month or sometimes even a week, you may not know what you want to do but you definitely will know what you hate doing.
Then where do you figure out what you want to do??
I can guarantee you that 90% of people going into college for their first year don't know what they want to do. That other 10% will change their major by the time they finish college. College is where you figure out what you want to do, because you find out what areas of education you like and dislike, and what you may like doing. If you have a $200k scholarship, ranked top 10 in your class, and have already been locked into a college, chances are you are locked into your major as well. Community college is a whole different story.

-Nathan
      01-08-2008, 02:37 PM   #19
3onDubs
You live by the sword...
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
In this dog eat dog world, it's all about the early bird catching the worm.

The sooner you figure out what you want to do, the sooner you can get started on working towards that goal, the more of a head start you'll have on those who still haven't "figured it out" yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 02:41 PM   #20
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
In this dog eat dog world, it's all about the early bird catching the worm.

Oh yeah and many of you are not even considering raising a family at this point and start savings for your kids and their well being.

As far as health insurance, it is just like allstates car insurance. It no big deal until your really need it (bam!) If you don't plan ahead, you are screwed...read my post again, what if you are lucky and you survived a serious illness, what then you are crippled for life financially.
      01-08-2008, 02:42 PM   #21
3onDubs
You live by the sword...
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
And then it hits you, bam, you got AIDS!!

...just like that
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 02:47 PM   #22
txusa03
Major General
Rep

well, everyone have their own little fantasy world but open the front door and then see what hit ya, Bam, reality.