E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Blu-Ray

01-09-2008, 03:05 PM   #45
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

That's my concern. I'd get one tomorrow if it provides the same quality feed of a BluRay disk. But a lossless compression would be needed, and to get TruHD or uncompressed PCM audio.....I can see the download taking forever!

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 04:12 PM   #46
MTV
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, Volvo S60R

Microsoft realizes Blu-Ray is the next big thing and they'll be introducing it to Xbox soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #47
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnet112 View Post
I had heard of that but didn't know how it was doing. How good is the quality compared to, say, HD television since you don't have an HD DVD or Blu-Ray player? It's supposed to stream in MP4 then convert to HD, so I'm wondering if there's a loss in quality?
As of right now it has only a handful or so HD movies I am told by the end of the month it will have 70 HD movies on vudu the rest are DVD quality and it looks stunning. Vudu HD movies run at 1080p and I cant tell the difference between that or a blu ray movie (And yes I have a blu ray player and all my video devices are running via HDMI). The vudu box uses H.264 compression and each HD movie is around 5 gigs compressed. 1080p is 1080p it doesnt matter if its off an HD-DVD or a Blu ray or off a Vudu box, the only advantage I see with blu ray is the higher capacity for data storage, right now HD movies dont use up hardly any of the true capacity of the disks same goes with playstation 3 games I think the largest capacity game is just at 11 gigs.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 09:12 PM   #48
djmatty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 330i; 1999 328i (RIP)

http://www.qj.net/Microsoft-could-ad.../49/aid/111247

Also, Universal has it in their contract (whatever one it is) that they can switch to Blu-Ray if Warner Bros does, and they already did. And Focus Features is owned by Universal. So according to my chart, HD-DVD is as good as dead.

And Vudu won't be that impressive since most people are idiots, and they want something overly easy and traditional.
      01-09-2008, 09:23 PM   #49
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
As of right now it has only a handful or so HD movies I am told by the end of the month it will have 70 HD movies on vudu the rest are DVD quality and it looks stunning. Vudu HD movies run at 1080p and I cant tell the difference between that or a blu ray movie (And yes I have a blu ray player and all my video devices are running via HDMI). The vudu box uses H.264 compression and each HD movie is around 5 gigs compressed. 1080p is 1080p it doesnt matter if its off an HD-DVD or a Blu ray or off a Vudu box, the only advantage I see with blu ray is the higher capacity for data storage, right now HD movies dont use up hardly any of the true capacity of the disks same goes with playstation 3 games I think the largest capacity game is just at 11 gigs.
What kind of audio is coming on vudu? Do they have TrueHD or uncomp PCM?

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 09:26 PM   #50
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmatty View Post
And Vudu won't be that impressive since most people are idiots, and they want something overly easy and traditional.
Or don't want to wait hours for their movie to download or pay a monthly fee for something they hardly ever use...

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 11:17 PM   #51
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
Or don't want to wait hours for their movie to download or pay a monthly fee for something they hardly ever use...
Vudu doesnt have a monthly fee and if you have a 2mbps cable connection or faster your movies play instantly. Most cable companies run between 5mbps to 20mbps+
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 11:24 PM   #52
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
What kind of audio is coming on vudu? Do they have TrueHD or uncomp PCM?
I am not sure, not many details are given I could try and ask one of the Vudu engineers if you like but most likely I wont get an answer since it uses certain proprietary methods. It has 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtracks for most movies. Granted blu ray you can get 7.1 and above but most people dont have that, I only have a 5.1 set up and compared with blu ray and Vudu HD movies you really cant tell, I would think your receiver is a more important aspect than the sound coming in, you can have good coming in but a crappy receiver and you will get crap out.

I just see Vudu as more of a connivence since my VOD from my cable company sucks. Also most new movies it only cost $3.99 for a 24 hour rental (heck of a lot cheaper than running to blockbuster bust then again the initial cost of the box you better watch a lot of movies to start saving money) and you can also get TV shows for 99cents an episode (along with some older movies) similar to itunes (but of course the quality is better on the vudu box vs apple tv)
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 11:26 PM   #53
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmatty View Post
http://www.qj.net/Microsoft-could-ad.../49/aid/111247

Also, Universal has it in their contract (whatever one it is) that they can switch to Blu-Ray if Warner Bros does, and they already did. And Focus Features is owned by Universal. So according to my chart, HD-DVD is as good as dead.

As for use the Vudu box is easy as heck I think it has won a few awards for its simple remote design. It has a scroll wheel you use to scroll then click it to select a movie and it has a play/pause button along with a back button.. The UI is easy quick and visually pleasing.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 11:43 PM   #54
djmatty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You underestimate the stupidity and stubbornness of people.
      01-10-2008, 12:25 AM   #55
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyGams View Post
yeah, with warner goes new line cinema too. So now Sony, WB, New Line, Disney are all BD exclusives. RIP Toshiba Hi Def.

Good thing I got a PS3 and predicted this one early
Hell, I got the PS3 for the gaming and got a free High-def player to boot.

I also saw the end of the "war" before it even got to this point. Like I told everyone "this isn't the Sony of the 70's, where it was Beta vs VHS." "Sony won't lose this time."

Even with Toshiba's outright BUYOUT of Paramount to back HD-DUD exclusively, they still lost.

Hopefully Universal will come to their senses and switch too, leaving only Paramount as the lone lame duck.
      01-10-2008, 12:48 AM   #56
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

I'll stick to DVD.........100%
      01-10-2008, 01:16 AM   #57
djmatty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/06/i...ray-exclusive/

BJ's is, too. And I bet we'll see many other stores do this soon.
      01-10-2008, 06:37 AM   #58
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
I am not sure, not many details are given I could try and ask one of the Vudu engineers if you like but most likely I wont get an answer since it uses certain proprietary methods. It has 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtracks for most movies. Granted blu ray you can get 7.1 and above but most people dont have that, I only have a 5.1 set up and compared with blu ray and Vudu HD movies you really cant tell, I would think your receiver is a more important aspect than the sound coming in, you can have good coming in but a crappy receiver and you will get crap out.

I just see Vudu as more of a connivence since my VOD from my cable company sucks. Also most new movies it only cost $3.99 for a 24 hour rental (heck of a lot cheaper than running to blockbuster bust then again the initial cost of the box you better watch a lot of movies to start saving money) and you can also get TV shows for 99cents an episode (along with some older movies) similar to itunes (but of course the quality is better on the vudu box vs apple tv)

Hmmmm....I'd be looking for something doing TrueHD or Uncom PCM. I can tell a difference on my gear, but you are right, most people's gear can't resolve the difference.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 07:18 AM   #59
miktrebla09
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: biped

Quote:
With any type of compression there's going to be a degradation of quality...whether it be audio or video.

I've sampled Vudu and did notice a difference in picture - more pixelation especially in scenes with a lot of motion - , audio i can't comment on, as the sample system didn't hve high end audio equipment.

Vudu also doesn't have the option for DD TruHD nor DTS HD. I doubt most people even have the bandwidth for that.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 08:18 AM   #60
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miktrebla09 View Post
With any type of compression there's going to be a degradation of quality...whether it be audio or video.

I've sampled Vudu and did notice a difference in picture - more pixelation especially in scenes with a lot of motion - , audio i can't comment on, as the sample system didn't hve high end audio equipment.

Vudu also doesn't have the option for DD TruHD nor DTS HD. I doubt most people even have the bandwidth for that.
you can have lossless compression, but that wouldn't likely be enough compression to get an HD movie w/ HD audio down to a file small enough to make downloads practical. Not until we have the "last mile" in fiber.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 08:37 AM   #61
miktrebla09
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: biped

Quote:
you can have lossless compression, but that wouldn't likely be enough compression to get an HD movie w/ HD audio down to a file small enough to make downloads practical. Not until we have the "last mile" in fiber.
Very true...I mispoke and was referring strictly to vudu.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #62
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:

I never have any pixilation from my Vudu box. I get it from my HD cable box from time to time..

I have semi high end audio and if I did a blind test between Vudu blu ray and a normal DVD most couldnt tell. But then again it comes down to the receiver and my Denon does wonders.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 12:46 PM   #63
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
What kind of internet connection do you have? I know in my area the slowest cable internet package you can get is 9mbps download, 2mbps is required to stream a normal none HD Vudu movie and 4mbps is required for streaming HD movies.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 12:52 PM   #64
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:

I think a lot of folks are confused about compression, the only time you lose quality in compression is if you over compress it. For example a lot of the audio processing and compression is simply removing the audio that the human ears can never hear. I think this entire none compression stuff is just a marketing scheme.. Heck I doubt anyone here can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 42 inch TV set, or if anyone here can tell the difference between 1080p and 1080i.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 03:09 PM   #65
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
What kind of internet connection do you have? I know in my area the slowest cable internet package you can get is 9mbps download, 2mbps is required to stream a normal none HD Vudu movie and 4mbps is required for streaming HD movies.
not even close to that. MAYBE 2.5mb, but we never see it. I'm lucky to get 1.5mb, and that is from any provider. The cable and DSL are both slow and overloaded.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 03:14 PM   #66
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
I think a lot of folks are confused about compression, the only time you lose quality in compression is if you over compress it. For example a lot of the audio processing and compression is simply removing the audio that the human ears can never hear. I think this entire none compression stuff is just a marketing scheme.. Heck I doubt anyone here can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 42 inch TV set, or if anyone here can tell the difference between 1080p and 1080i.
hehe careful with the absolutes. There are a couple people here with gear that you can see the difference.

The biggest issue is the quality of the feed. HD cable is crap compared to BluRay, as they are using a lossy compression, and compressing the hell out of it. Sports are the worst, as they have more motion and color variations.

Compression generally works on two things - removing that which can not be seen or heard, as you said, but also by looking for trends, patterns or similar data. The trends, patterns or similar data is tagged and noted for it's place in the signal, and then the extra copies are removed. The tagging tells the reconstruct program where to place the multiple copies during decompression.

One other way, used by jpeg's, is using a mathematical algorithym to describe the data or picture. This algo usually requires less data be transmitted than the picture itself. This is usually a lossy compression, but there are various forms that are lossless. They are usually also proprietary.

Appreciate 0