E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Need help w/ college suggestions for my major?

View Poll Results: which one is easier ?
International Transportation and Customs 12 70.59%
Computer Networking and Technical Support 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

01-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #45
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
Reading some of this just crack me up. So many people place so little value on education. There is more to education then just to get a job. And how is it that our job is destroying us psychologically?

I say this, if anything that is destroying us psychologically it is the fantasy hollywood world crap that you all see on TV. Oh boy, when I grow-up, I want to be just like Miss Spears. Each week I have to get a manicure, pedicure, facial, hair highlights, and relax in a sauna to detoxicate all the stress of being a glamorous star. And when my $ runs out (because I thought $ grows on tree) I will just lay around the house being a bump or go knock on my mom and dad doors for more $ to support my fantasy lifestyle. Hello, your mom and dad have a life too and they need to have some $ for them in their retiring years as well.

So if you have not realized my point about education from the above example, let me spell it out. If you so happen to be lucky enough to get rich quick, your get rich quick pot of gold aint gonna last if you have no clue on how to manage the pot of gold. And $ aint gonna buy ya happiness (hello- again look at Miss Spears). And we working folks are just tire of paying our taxes to support the lazy bumps out there.

Look I am not knocking anyone who flip bugers or work as a cashier. I was a cashier once and I was a busboy once. Until you but in an honest day of blood and sweat, you would not understand. I have the utmost repect for anyone who wake up days in and days out working to support them and their family vs someone who is a lazy bump who decide to steal or rob.

If you want to avoid the lazy bump route, get yourself and education first.

Chill!!!!
No clue how a bad job destroys you psychologically.
Maybe the stress of a bad job, maybe you become suicidal because you see no change in your life, maybe you start drinking to try and cope. Who knows, everyone is different.
What you did however do in this post, is reinforce my post.
You keep saying jobs are about how much money you make, and working your ass off.
My dad used to think the same way, because his dad taught him that hard work is the best kind of work, and it's the only way to get anywhere in life.
My dad taught me that I should make money work for me, instead of me having to work for money. Wake up my friend, this isn't the 50's.
Also that 'fantasy hollywood crap' isn't just on T.V., it's your generation that made it this way. All of these women trying to impress men, and what are they after?? money.
You talk about money not buying happiness, but before you said that life is all about how much money you make.
It's nice how you assume all people under 25 are spoiled and will run back to their parents for help when their career falls through. My guess is you were poor growing up and envied the rich and spoiled, or you ended up spoiling your own kids and they came to you for help.. I'm not rich, and I'm not poor. I however do not envy, or assume all people in a group are the same, and I wasn't raised with a bad attitude towards others.

One thing I will not do is take advice given by someone who contradicts himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
You can argue with those of us that have been there, or you can try and take some advice from those that have been there. Life's too short to make all the mistakes yourself.
I'm listening to all of your advice, I also learned at a young age to question everything that everyone says.. Just because something worked out for you, and ended up being right for you, doesn't mean it is the same for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onDubs View Post
In this dog eat dog world, it's all about the early bird catching the worm.

The sooner you figure out what you want to do, the sooner you can get started on working towards that goal, the more of a head start you'll have on those who still haven't "figured it out" yet.
I guess you don't realize that you aren't only competing with the people attending college at the time you are.. There isn't a point in getting out as fast as you can because jobs are always changing, and you have to compete with people who graduated up to 10 years before you as well. Take your time, figure out what will keep you happy most of your life and go with it. College isn't all about grades, it's about the first job you get after college.

Tired of older people knocking the younger generation as if they have no clue how things work.

-Nathan
      01-09-2008, 02:14 PM   #46
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expired View Post
You keep saying jobs are about how much money you make, and working your ass off.
-Nathan
Hey Nathan, I must be retarded. Would you pls site in my post where I state that "jobs are about how much money you make, and working my butt off." and where did I say in this thread that "you said that life is all about how much money you make".

I have only stressed that the purpose of a decent job is to get health insurance (you never know when you need it). I only stressed that education is very valuable. I only stressed that a job is work (not play). When I was in college (University to be exact) I was working part time as cashier at one time and as a busboy at another time so I can have a little cash to spent (don't take that the wrong way and think I am poor and envied rich folks).
      01-09-2008, 02:27 PM   #47
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
...Tired of older people knocking the younger generation as if they have no clue how things work.

-Nathan
I'm not knocking you. I'm saying you don't yet know what you don't know. You don't have the years under your belt to know that yet.

At 32, I still don't have all the experience. But I do have enough to help me start to see what I don't know, and how those things will impact me. You would do well to learn a little humility. It is a tremendously useful servant.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #48
3onDubs
You live by the sword...
Rep
Drives: M4

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
I guess you don't realize that you aren't only competing with the people attending college at the time you are.. There isn't a point in getting out as fast as you can because jobs are always changing, and you have to compete with people who graduated up to 10 years before you as well. Take your time, figure out what will keep you happy most of your life and go with it. College isn't all about grades, it's about the first job you get after college.

Tired of older people knocking the younger generation as if they have no clue how things work.

-Nathan
I'm probably not much older than you lol....and I really didn't mean to be knocking. Just throwing in my $.02 is all....

You are right, there is no point in finishing as fast as possible, but what i'm trying to get at is that there is also no point in wasting time. By wasting time, I mean doing unnecessary work. For example, at the University I attended, the general requirements varied from one major to the next (not the major's requirements, the general requirements themselves). Also, some general requirements count towards certain majors' requirements, but not towards others. Those individuals who "still hadn't figured it out" usually end up taking a bunch of unnecessary classes and wasting time/money. If they were to have a better heads up early on, they'd have a major advantage.

Also, certain fields require a great deal of preparation/extracurricular activities/internships early on. Trying to get all of these out of the way after "figuring out what you want" in your second year of college might not be possible and will therefore limit the choices you are able to make as to which major to choose.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 07:50 PM   #49
khafner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

which degree is easier

What a way to look at school. If all you want is the easy way forget college.
College is there to teach you about life. It takes work. Try to find something you like and that you can make a life's work out of it. If you can't make money at what you really like make it a minor. Getting ahead in school is like getting ahead in life. They both take work. School isn't cheap. You have to look at payback. My daughter will have around 230,000 dollars of loans when she gets her MD. My son will be debt free when he gets his physic's PhD. He won't make her money but it will be equal due to payback of loans. EAsy college degrees are in psychology and PE. Both don't have a future unless your tops of your class and get at least a master's. I spent 13 years in college/graduate education. Their is a good future in computer security. My nephew is working on his master's in it. The feds are paying and all his has to do is work for a govt agency when completed - that's state, fed, county etc. He is looking at going overseas. He was hired by GE out of college but did not like the long hours but the money was very good. Gov't doesn't pay as much but they do give a great retirement after 20 years. Not a bad deal.
Just make sure you enjoy college. You'll never be as free in your life. I saw this country thanks to my schooling. Also spent several years abroad.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 10:20 PM   #50
Bulldog 6
The Logistician
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i M-Sport

Garage List
2007 328i E90  [0.00]
You should consider a BS in Nursing. You can work 3 days a week and be a full time employee. During your days off you can work for a temp agency and work if you want to. Also if you take a travel assignment...50 miles from your resident you can get $1200-$2500 additional per month that is non-taxable.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 02:48 AM   #51
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey Nathan, I must be retarded. Would you pls site in my post where I state that "jobs are about how much money you make, and working my butt off." and where did I say in this thread that "you said that life is all about how much money you make".

I have only stressed that the purpose of a decent job is to get health insurance (you never know when you need it). I only stressed that education is very valuable. I only stressed that a job is work (not play). When I was in college (University to be exact) I was working part time as cashier at one time and as a busboy at another time so I can have a little cash to spent (don't take that the wrong way and think I am poor and envied rich folks).
Quote:
Second, why are folks not eager to get a degree and start finding a real job with health insurance and other benefits? In this country, if you get a serious illness and have no health insurance, you will be digging out of a hole for a long time if you survive your illness and try to get back on your feet financially.
Quote:
Look I am not knocking anyone who flip bugers or work as a cashier. I was a cashier once and I was a busboy once. Until you but in an honest day of blood and sweat, you would not understand. I have the utmost repect for anyone who wake up days in and days out working to support them and their family vs someone who is a lazy bump who decide to steal or rob.
Indirectly.. If you work at a job thinking "a job is work (not play)", then you are working that job just for the better pay. It pretty much goes without saying, because that is how most older people think.. :/
You find a job that pays the best, you work hard, you attempt to buy happiness on the weekends.

I also wasn't talking about all the older people on here knocking the younger people, just older people in the world.

EDIT: If you want an easy job that pays well, without a lot of school required..
Be the assistant to an anesthesiologist. (I don't remember the technical job title) You get paid almost as much as them, without the risk of being sued for malpractice. You basically sit there and watch them while they are under, and monitor their vitals. Easy as hell, but would probably get boring fast.
Friend of mine I had in art a year or so ago was talking about it, because his mom works in the same field. He planned on majoring in it at the time, not sure if he changed his mind.

-Nathan
      01-10-2008, 03:27 AM   #52
mpimping
Banned
South Korea
Rep
Drives: gti

how about plant science?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 06:34 AM   #53
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:

EDIT: If you want an easy job that pays well, without a lot of school required..
Be the assistant to an anesthesiologist. (I don't remember the technical job title) You get paid almost as much as them, without the risk of being sued for malpractice. You basically sit there and watch them while they are under, and monitor their vitals. Easy as hell, but would probably get boring fast.
Friend of mine I had in art a year or so ago was talking about it, because his mom works in the same field. He planned on majoring in it at the time, not sure if he changed his mind.

-Nathan
Are you talking about a nurse anesthetist? The pay is a small fraction of what the anesthesiologist makes.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 08:17 AM   #54
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It's nice how you assume all people under 25 are spoiled and will run back to their parents for help when their career falls through. My guess is you were poor growing up and envied the rich and spoiled, or you ended up spoiling your own kids and they came to you for help.. I'm not rich, and I'm not poor. I however do not envy, or assume all people in a group are the same, and I wasn't raised with a bad attitude towards others.

One thing I will not do is take advice given by someone who contradicts himself.

I'm listening to all of your advice, I also learned at a young age to question everything that everyone says.. Just because something worked out for you, and ended up being right for you, doesn't mean it is the same for me.

-Nathan
You could not have said it any better, exactly, right. I assume things (so I form generalization on what I see around me, so no one does that right and it is a bad thing right). And how about you, you don't assume or generalized on thing (you assume I grew up from a poor family and I envied rich folks, nice one there). The same statement you say about how something work for others might not work for you can also be applied to you as well, what you might think works for you might not work for someone else.

We are here to discuss what we have experienced in life (each person will gain something different from their own experience) and they like to share it. No one is sticking a gun to anyone face telling them this is how it should be done. Take it for what it is

Hahaha, again, my opinion is "a job is work and not play". Someone should tell that to Chuck Rosenthal as he learned the hard way mixing business with pleasure.
      01-10-2008, 11:24 PM   #55
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
I totally agree with txusa03.

When did everyone suddenly think your career had to be one you loved and enjoyed? Sure it would be great to have a career your amazed by and love doing. Realistic? Fuck no.

I would love to be a film maker, I literally think of ideas everyday when im listening to music, watching other films, videos etc. I always think of ideas of a short video or film.

Does that mean I will become one or study to be one? No, it is way to risky. I like many on these forums I assume, would love to own an exotic car someday in their life.

Well for me to accomplish that dream I need a real career that has a higher chance of making it. And engineering is one. Do I find engineering interesting? Yes, building and learning is amazing to me. Is math and all that other crap? No not at all. So I wont absolutely love my career path but who gives a shit.

As long as I can enjoy life it doesnt matter what my job is.
      01-11-2008, 07:32 AM   #56
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBlitz View Post

When did everyone suddenly think your career had to be one you loved and enjoyed? Sure it would be great to have a career your amazed by and love doing. Realistic? Fuck no.

I would love to be a film maker, I literally think of ideas everyday when im listening to music, watching other films, videos etc. I always think of ideas of a short video or film.

Does that mean I will become one or study to be one? No, it is way to risky. I like many on these forums I assume, would love to own an exotic car someday in their life.

Well for me to accomplish that dream I need a real career that has a higher chance of making it. And engineering is one. Do I find engineering interesting? Yes, building and learning is amazing to me. Is math and all that other crap? No not at all. So I wont absolutely love my career path but who gives a shit.

I always wanted to be an F1 driver or tester for BMW or Ferrari (but that is only a dream). I would love to buy an R8 right now but realistically not very wise financially for me at the moment. But I sure aint complaining about life!
      01-12-2008, 01:57 AM   #57
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You could not have said it any better, exactly, right. I assume things (so I form generalization on what I see around me, so no one does that right and it is a bad thing right). And how about you, you don't assume or generalized on thing (you assume I grew up from a poor family and I envied rich folks, nice one there). The same statement you say about how something work for others might not work for you can also be applied to you as well, what you might think works for you might not work for someone else.

We are here to discuss what we have experienced in life (each person will gain something different from their own experience) and they like to share it. No one is sticking a gun to anyone face telling them this is how it should be done. Take it for what it is

Hahaha, again, my opinion is "a job is work and not play". Someone should tell that to Chuck Rosenthal as he learned the hard way mixing business with pleasure.
Of course what I said can be applied to anyone, but why would anyone listen to someone telling them to get a 'real job' and not do what they want to do. Should a therapist be considered a 'real job' when people have been dealing with their problems for century's, then someone realized they could make money off of other people?? Is talking to someone really a job?? I bet you would consider it a 'real job' just because the pay is so high. But if they did exactly the same thing, working on the street for pocket change, would you consider it a 'real job'?? Your definition of a real job is how much money you are making, not what you are doing. You would end up telling Therapist #2 to go get a 'real job' if you saw him on the street.

About you envying people, it's called deductive reasoning.. to assume, is to have no sliver of proof to lean towards your side. You obviously have some resentment towards kids that are spoiled. Everyone assumes/generalizes, but to speak/act on it without proof is another story.

And yes, that's exactly what your opinion of a job is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBlitz View Post

It's people like you, thinking that you can't have your dream job, that leave that job open for others. Thank you.
Some people are risk takers, others would rather go for the sure thing.

Film Directors usually get 5-10% of the total budget of the film.
Transformers budget was $150million. (Granted you wont start out on a high dollar film)
$7,500,000-$15,000,000.

To me, dreams should be about doing something, not owning something..
You sacrificed your dream to own an exotic car one day..
I guess I'll compare life to a game..

[[[DISCLAIMER]]]
If your dream job happens to be high paying, you should purchase the expansion pack to this game instead.
You have 80 hours of playtime.
I am going to say 60 is usually the age that people stop being adventurous, and you die at 80. For each hour you play, you lose one year of your life.

At hour 18, you are given the choice to..
A) Take steps towards being a Insert Dream Here. If you choose this path your money will vary at times, you may not have any excess money at all sometimes. The chances of being happy most of your life will increase with this choice.
B) Take steps towards being a Insert High paying Job here. If you choose this path, your money will almost be guaranteed all of your life. The chances of being happy most of your life will decrease with this choice, however the excess money will be there to buy non-necessity's.

Choice A.
Enjoy yourself and follow your dreams to DO something from hour 18 to 60. You can choose to specialize in film making, treasure hunting, sports car driving, etc.. You start out with a small amount of money each hour, and the chances of it growing is decreased. 100% of the time playing in Choice A, you will be doing/striving towards what you have dreamed of.

Choice B.
You will spend hour 18-50 doing something that you will most likely dislike.
You can specialize in anything, the only requirement is that the pay is high.
You will start out with a larger sum of money, and the chances of it growing is increased. At hour 50 you will be given the choice to quit your specialization and do whatever you want. The last 10 hours of playtime in Choice B, you will be doing what you have always wanted to do.

At hour 60, all of the money you have made is put away and can only be used for others. From hour 60-80 you will be forced to watch a clip comprised of all the things you had done in your life. Then your time is up.

Now think about this cool game called Life that you just got, and you want it to be the best game you have ever played. You only have 80 hours to play and then your time expires. Would you choose choice A or choice B??

I guess I'll leave you with this.
"It is the eye of other people that ruin us. If I were blind I would want, neither fine clothes, fine houses or fine furniture." -Benjamin Franklin
I laugh when people tell other people to get their priority's straight, because they have little money. Should it not be the other way around??
mmm.. The American dream, to own everything.

-Nathan

Last edited by Expired; 01-12-2008 at 02:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 02:20 PM   #58
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Of course what I said can be applied to anyone, but why would anyone listen to someone telling them to get a 'real job' and not do what they want to do. Should a therapist be considered a 'real job' when people have been dealing with their problems for century's, then someone realized they could make money off of other people?? Is talking to someone really a job?? I bet you would consider it a 'real job' just because the pay is so high. But if they did exactly the same thing, working on the street for pocket change, would you consider it a 'real job'?? Your definition of a real job is how much money you are making, not what you are doing. You would end up telling Therapist #2 to go get a 'real job' if you saw him on the street.

About you envying people, it's called deductive reasoning.. to assume, is to have no sliver of proof to lean towards your side. You obviously have some resentment towards kids that are spoiled. Everyone assumes/generalizes, but to speak/act on it without proof is another story.

And yes, that's exactly what your opinion of a job is.

It's people like you, thinking that you can't have your dream job, that leave that job open for others. Thank you.
Some people are risk takers, others would rather go for the sure thing.

Film Directors usually get 5-10% of the total budget of the film.
Transformers budget was $150million. (Granted you wont start out on a high dollar film)
$7,500,000-$15,000,000.

To me, dreams should be about doing something, not owning something..
You sacrificed your dream to own an exotic car one day..
I guess I'll compare life to a game..

[[[DISCLAIMER]]]
If your dream job happens to be high paying, you should purchase the expansion pack to this game instead.
You have 80 hours of playtime.
I am going to say 60 is usually the age that people stop being adventurous, and you die at 80. For each hour you play, you lose one year of your life.

At hour 18, you are given the choice to..
A) Take steps towards being a Insert Dream Here. If you choose this path your money will vary at times, you may not have any excess money at all sometimes. The chances of being happy most of your life will increase with this choice.
B) Take steps towards being a Insert High paying Job here. If you choose this path, your money will almost be guaranteed all of your life. The chances of being happy most of your life will decrease with this choice, however the excess money will be there to buy non-necessity's.

Choice A.
Enjoy yourself and follow your dreams to DO something from hour 18 to 60. You can choose to specialize in film making, treasure hunting, sports car driving, etc.. You start out with a small amount of money each hour, and the chances of it growing is decreased. 100% of the time playing in Choice A, you will be doing/striving towards what you have dreamed of.

Choice B.
You will spend hour 18-50 doing something that you will most likely dislike.
You can specialize in anything, the only requirement is that the pay is high.
You will start out with a larger sum of money, and the chances of it growing is increased. At hour 50 you will be given the choice to quit your specialization and do whatever you want. The last 10 hours of playtime in Choice B, you will be doing what you have always wanted to do.

At hour 60, all of the money you have made is put away and can only be used for others. From hour 60-80 you will be forced to watch a clip comprised of all the things you had done in your life. Then your time is up.

Now think about this cool game called Life that you just got, and you want it to be the best game you have ever played. You only have 80 hours to play and then your time expires. Would you choose choice A or choice B??

I guess I'll leave you with this.
"It is the eye of other people that ruin us. If I were blind I would want, neither fine clothes, fine houses or fine furniture." -Benjamin Franklin
I laugh when people tell other people to get their priority's straight, because they have little money. Should it not be the other way around??
mmm.. The American dream, to own everything.

-Nathan
I'm sorry but America is not what it once was. You can no longer just go out for your dream and accomplish it.

Right now times are hard especially with how far downhill our country is going. So for me to follow my dream and fuck myself over at such a young age makes no sense.

Here is how you follow your dreams while being smart.

Instead of being dumb and straight out going for filming which is risky and wont make money for awhile. I am going to be writing screenplays. Who knows someone buys them even if its a small independent studio and i make some extra cash. But at the same time I get a stable career.

If I become successful in my career I can easily open my own production studio and see if my dream will work out or not.

It sucks to hear it but life isnt like dreams, it sucks.