E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > First Reviews: 8-speed auto 8L90 Stingray/Z06

08-23-2014, 05:28 PM   #23
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
You think wrong. Like I said, automatic or bust. And there isn't any way in the world that you could say that I'm not an enthusiast. I've been tuning cars since I was 15, including several to well over 600hp, been through 12 performance driving courses, been racing for years, and had my ASE certification in Engine Performance. There's no metric where I wouldn't be considered an enthusiast. And as such, I'm gonna take the tranny that gets me where I'm going fastest, whether around a track or down the dragstrip, and these days, 99 times out of 100, its the automatic or twin clutch. Theres a reason thats the only way to get most exotics. Manually shifting is slow.
And some enthusiasts forgo the performance advantage and want more involvement. No wrong answer, autos are just your preference.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 05:41 PM   #24
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Exactly, and having a choice is awesome. Fact of the matter is that a Z06 with either transmission isn't going to have much trouble being one of the fastest cars of the weekend.

Every car would be better with the choice. I personally really miss the feel of the gated shifters in Ferraris and would buy a V8 R8 over a used F430 just to be able to experience that. I'm not paid to put up fast lap times, so it's fairly irrelevant if one's slightly faster.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 06:13 PM   #25
M3guy3
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
You think wrong. Like I said, automatic or bust. And there isn't any way in the world that you could say that I'm not an enthusiast. I've been tuning cars since I was 15, including several to well over 600hp, been through 12 performance driving courses, been racing for years, and had my ASE certification in Engine Performance. There's no metric where I wouldn't be considered an enthusiast. And as such, I'm gonna take the tranny that gets me where I'm going fastest, whether around a track or down the dragstrip, and these days, 99 times out of 100, its the automatic or twin clutch. Theres a reason thats the only way to get most exotics. Manually shifting is slow.
i think you gotta take a step back and understand that some people do not value getting the fastest thing possible. some find the manual more fun, and some people buy cars just for fun. even in a performance car.

my M3 has DCT, i personally find DCT to be pretty dam cool. I like the way the car sounds when downshifting and upshifting. It also makes driving on the track way easier and more enjoyable at times being able to have both hands on the wheel.

BUT i do see why people would love rowing through the gears on a 6 speed. if i had a car collection there would be both manuals and autos. Sometimes i feel like a DCT, sometimes i feel like a 6 speed.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #26
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

I understand that people prefer both, I don't see why though. My first car was a manual Mustang. Hated it. Too much work. Living in the city, with constant traffic, I see it more as punishment than fun. And really, is there any place in the world now that doesn't have traffic?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 08:57 PM   #27
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
I think any true enthusiast will always prefer a manual to a dual clutch or automatic.
Chris Harris is probably an enthusiast and he prefers the DCT on the M4 so as others have said it's purely a preference thing no matter who you are.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 12:14 AM   #28
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
I understand that people prefer both, I don't see why though. My first car was a manual Mustang. Hated it. Too much work. Living in the city, with constant traffic, I see it more as punishment than fun. And really, is there any place in the world now that doesn't have traffic?
I deal with LA traffic in a manual, have for many many years. It doesn't brother me one bit, driving a manual is second hand nature. Weekends I get to carve up the canyons and rowing my own gears. Wouldn't have it any other way. Different strokes for different folks.
Appreciate 0