E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > JB4/Meth Caused Water Pump Failure??

04-19-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
Jaybreeze
Effin Mustang!!!!
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 Montego Blue

JB4/Meth Caused Water Pump Failure??

So after the Carolina tornado went ahead and bashed on the poor car with debris of fences and everything else flying around, i decided to see what damage was accumulated. Other minor scratches, dents and broken tail lights, the car never looked better as it stood it's ground against a tornado.

The day after, I decided to fill up gas and got an overheating error. I contacted my service manager and he said get the car to the dealership ASAP. Being that the vehicle was not drivable, I got it towed to the dealership and had it examine by the shop foreman. In a few hours the diagnostic turned out to be water pump failure. The shop foreman also said that the fuse powering the pump was blown as well. I ask the reason for this is and he said your JB4/Meth is putting out too much power to where the water pump is being over worked. The fan is not cooling the radiator enough therefor the pump is constantly running to cool the vehicle off (Disclaimer: I'm clueless at this point on how this all connects to the JB4, which I barely even boost pass 12 PSI on map 3..i'm not a newbie nor a novice but I know enough). The service manager recommended for me to upgrade my cooling system to the 335iS version to handle the power output? (Thoughts on this guys?) Thanks in advance for the feedback...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
BTTGMan
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335xi coupe - space gray

Take it you're out of warranty? So weird to hear someone talking to sa about

Edit: is that silver trim w a black grill?. Howsit look in person? Would I regret?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
Jaybreeze
Effin Mustang!!!!
Rep

Warranty is still good till Nov this year..My dealership has no problem taking in the car fully modded and conduct warranty work

The silver trim is there for the time being to match the chrome lip on the wheels..it's looks good IMO..but once i get new wheels of a darker color, the trim will be replaced to matte black
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 11:12 PM   #4
triggz
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

What rims are those??? Iforged?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
krypt0
Your Text Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, B9S4

...tracking.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 11:50 PM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quite an imagination the SA has.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 02:28 AM   #7
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Just to see what he would've said, I would have responded: The fan doesn't need to come on as much. Since I have my power I can drive faster, so more wind hits the radiator to cool it.

I think he is trying to upsell you to the upgraded cooling system...in a very creative way I might add. More cooling is not a bad thing tho, but not necessary at the level you are at, IMO.

The fan mostly comes on when you are at low speed or a stop, otherwise airflow from the car moving is going to be cooling the radiator. The water pump failing is more common than you probably think. I had mine replaced already at ~40k.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 02:43 AM   #8
sneaks
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Meth pump wired off coolant pump?
Does everything work normal once the fuse was replaced?

The failing pump could draw more amperage and blow the fuse. I doubt you need a more capable cooling system. Its too bad we don't have a water temperature gauge to monitor it in the cluster. There is a way to get the water temp display on the centre of the lcd readout if you search here.

I think you just had a failed water pump.
Did he replace it under warranty? They do fail more than other components regardless of tune level.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 03:08 AM   #9
tscdennab
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
It may very well be true. It's clear that the engine temperatures are higher with higher boost. It is certainly true that the engine componenta fail faster when tuned. But the question is, how much faster and does your particular situation relate to this ?

If you live in a hot climate I would certainly recommend either a bigger oil cooler or the BMW Performance Power Kit (which includes a bigger fan and a supplemental water radiator). You cannot install the bigger fan without the Power Kit, but you can install the supplemental water cooler.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 07:31 AM   #10
domrep
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E93 335i

^ completely unecessary given the boost level you're running and assuming you dont track your car frequently. Ofcourse, you can always have more cooling it never hurts but doing those upgrades is overkill for daily driving (if you don't have a stock oil cooler that's another story). Plain and simple your water pump failed, happens alot. Cool that your dealership accepts your car fullly modded haha.

p.s. weren't you crapping your pants with the tornado and your car? Look how close that fence is to your back bumper
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 07:36 AM   #11
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: THE GUY YOU LOVE TO HATE

i've seen the water pumps go bad between 40k and 60k, its not uncommon at all, no need for a bigger cooling system, the water pump goes bad, starts pulling some major amps, and blows the fuse as it heats up
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 08:14 AM   #12
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin@AKMotorwerk View Post
i've seen the water pumps go bad between 40k and 60k, its not uncommon at all, no need for a bigger cooling system, the water pump goes bad, starts pulling some major amps, and blows the fuse as it heats up
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #13
Jaybreeze
Effin Mustang!!!!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggz View Post
What rims are those??? Iforged?
LC Strasse..i know i know..old but hey, it's not common haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by domrep View Post
^ completely unecessary given the boost level you're running and assuming you dont track your car frequently. Ofcourse, you can always have more cooling it never hurts but doing those upgrades is overkill for daily driving (if you don't have a stock oil cooler that's another story). Plain and simple your water pump failed, happens alot. Cool that your dealership accepts your car fullly modded haha.

p.s. weren't you crapping your pants with the tornado and your car? Look how close that fence is to your back bumper
Actually that fence did hit the back of the car amongst other things, but it looks set up when i took the picture haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin@AKMotorwerk View Post
Thanks Kevin, you and Alex did install the meth kit and JB4 on this car
Attached Images

Appreciate 0