E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > Flavio Briatore

09-14-2010, 09:07 AM   #1
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Flavio Briatore

So he was on the grid at Monza, so I'd like to start a little conversation about him.

What are people's opinions of this guy? I think he is bad news, and will only detriment F1 further by being around. He has already been banned (but apparently that wasn't enough.)

I feel similar things with Alonso. Wherever Alonso has gone he has created drama. I wonder if he got stuck in this kind of situation from his association to Briatore.

Am I just completely missing something? Or is he just as shady as I assume?
      09-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

If it walks like a duck & quacks like a duck........
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

I don't mind Flavio.
      09-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Couldn't care much....but there was once he make things happen....and he still got some "friends" around the "f1 industry"...
however crashgate is definitely bad for the sport..
      09-14-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Mosley and Ecclestone are far worse for F1 than some goofy playboy with blue spectacles. Flav is no worse than countless other charismatic owners, and Crashgate isn't any worse than weekly events by the boys at Mac or Fezza.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

hes cool he got heidi
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 07:28 PM   #7
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
So he was on the grid at Monza, so I'd like to start a little conversation about him.

What are people's opinions of this guy? I think he is bad news, and will only detriment F1 further by being around. He has already been banned (but apparently that wasn't enough.)

I feel similar things with Alonso. Wherever Alonso has gone he has created drama. I wonder if he got stuck in this kind of situation from his association to Briatore.

Am I just completely missing something? Or is he just as shady as I assume?
Douche. A cheat in F1 and a tax cheat outside of F1.

Honestly, I can't believe he's even allowed to be at the races. They should have banned him entirely.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 08:18 PM   #8
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

What's the deal with that guy? Please enlighten me .
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 08:53 AM   #9
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Poeple refer to it as CrashGate. You can read about it below. Basicly, Piquet Jr. crashed intentionally to allow Alonso to win.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault...sh_controversy
      09-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #10
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Poeple refer to it as CrashGate. You can read about it below. Basicly, Piquet Jr. crashed intentionally to allow Alonso to win.

Do you think this is unusual? See Michael Schumacher and Ferrari for a long list of team orders, intentional crashes and silly stunts. Hell, David Coulthard spent most of his career intentionally obstructing red cars, and occasionally driving into them. It's part of the sport, why treat Renault like a criminal when the bigger teams have been getting away with it for years?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #11
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks buddy . And I thought he crashed due to a 'team order' to let Alonso pass him and was pissed off about it, but the team order was to crash on purpose. Oh boy. Talk about a lose-lose situation for that guy. And suggesting that snake of Alonso didn't know was an insult to the intelligence; he's not only a cry baby, but a cheat and an a-hole. Glad the issue came out to ouster the snake behind it. Would that 'team order' be legal if team orders are reinstated? After all, ALL team orders affect race results. If team orders are reinstated, I'll probably stop watching F1.

Anyway, that incident effectively cheated Massa of the championship, as he was winning that race, and would have definitely gathered more than one point, making him the champion over Hamilton. Can he make a claim for the championship? But even if he gets it, it's not the same, I'd guess. What a mess. And all just for cheats who want to win at any cost.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #12
1BMW4fun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 X3 2.8, 11 550

For what its worth, he did contribute bringing in alot of commercial money for F1.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 02:05 PM   #13
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Do you think this is unusual? See Michael Schumacher and Ferrari for a long list of team orders, intentional crashes and silly stunts. Hell, David Coulthard spent most of his career intentionally obstructing red cars, and occasionally driving into them. It's part of the sport, why treat Renault like a criminal when the bigger teams have been getting away with it for years?
Because as with most things of this nature, Renault got caught. End of story.

Also, this happened.

Quote:
39.1 Team orders which interfere with a race result are prohibited.
2010 FIA Sporting Regulations
      09-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #14
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

I see your point.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 04:41 PM   #15
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

I worked for him during 2 years and there is my opinion:

Pros:
- Marketing
- Know how to make $

Cons:
- No interest in motorsport and engineering
- Bad President management approach
- No team spirit
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 08:29 AM   #16
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka View Post
I worked for him during 2 years and there is my opinion:

Pros:
- Marketing
- Know how to make $

Cons:
- No interest in motorsport and engineering
- Bad President management approach
- No team spirit
Did you work directly with him? Or more just under him and was able to easily obverse him?

I ask because, I'm curious if you can assess whether you think CrashGate was his idea or not.
      09-16-2010, 09:00 AM   #17
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Mods: (All OEM) | BMW Performance CF Splitters | BMW Blackline Taillights | BMW Rear Deck Spoiler | BMW Performance Auto Shift Knob and Alcantara Boot | BMW Black Dakota Leather Split Folding Armrest | BMW Euro Fog Light Switch | BMW Style 193M Wheels | BMW Performance Gloss Black Kidney Grills | BMW Front Clear Bra | BMW Performance Steering Wheel (non-elec)
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #18
Spec Volcanic
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:

Piquet Jr is the really bad guy is this story IMO...

1) The can ask/tell you to do I lot of thing for the good of the team with I would do like try to hold up other cars the you are a head of because you have yet to pit, to help open a window for your team mates pit stop.

(It is a team sport after all)

But Crashing because you were asked to is going too far.

2) Piquet Jr, had no trouble crashing for the team until he was going to lose this sit (why was he going to lose his spot, because he was only useful to the team was a moving slalom cone)

3) He try to Black Mail Renault, he is not a man of honour who went to F1 when he saw wrong doing... he kept it to himself and then try to use it to keep a F1 sit he only had because of this last name.

4) He acted as was hero, after crashing and blackmailling his team.
HE is the ONE person that could have insured the crash never happpen.
HE could have gone to the FIA went he was asked

5) Look at all racing, all teams are pushing the limits of the rules all the time, sometimes they cross the line... that is racing.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 09:49 AM   #19
scott@bmwhn
Major
Rep
Drives: Msport X3

^goes to show what lots of money can do for you...Bastard lol

Previous: 20' X3 M40i, 19' 740i Msport, 17' 430i GC, 15' Msport X3 28i, 15' Sportline X1 28i, 13' Msport 328i, 09' Msport 335i, 07' Msport 335i

Last edited by scott@bmwhn; 09-16-2010 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 10:40 AM   #20
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec Volcanic View Post
Piquet Jr is the really bad guy is this story IMO...

1) The can ask/tell you to do I lot of thing for the good of the team with I would do like try to hold up other cars the you are a head of because you have yet to pit, to help open a window for your team mates pit stop.

(It is a team sport after all)

But Crashing because you were asked to is going too far.

2) Piquet Jr, had no trouble crashing for the team until he was going to lose this sit (why was he going to lose his spot, because he was only useful to the team was a moving slalom cone)

3) He try to Black Mail Renault, he is not a man of honour who went to F1 when he saw wrong doing... he kept it to himself and then try to use it to keep a F1 sit he only had because of this last name.

4) He acted as was hero, after crashing and blackmailling his team.
HE is the ONE person that could have insured the crash never happpen.
HE could have gone to the FIA went he was asked

5) Look at all racing, all teams are pushing the limits of the rules all the time, sometimes they cross the line... that is racing.
Not disagree'ing with this. Just curious who instigated the idea.
      09-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #21
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec Volcanic View Post
Piquet Jr is the really bad guy is this story IMO....
He's not; he was asked. The 'really' bad guy, was the idiot who authorized the scheme, in this case Briatore. Doesn't matter who came up with the idea IMO. He could have said NO, and it'd have been the end of the story. When you do something stupid like that, you're always subject to black-mailing, even among family members or close associates; it happens all the time.

Now, that Picket is an a-hole, a coward, and whatever else you want to call him, there's little argument. He probably accepted/proposed the 'order' because he figured he'd be assured a seat for his silence, knowing his talent wasn't enough to do that. Typical scum. But even if he wasn't in favor of it, he'd have been between a rock and a hard place; no subordinate should ever be put in that situation.
This reminds me of all the a-hole politicians, who call 'loyalty' having to cover for them for whatever crap they do, legal and illegal. And what's even worse IMO is the stupid subordinates that even go to jail to cover their 'masters'. And at the other extreme, there're the 'Pickets' who use that to their advantage, but who's fault is it?

Last edited by JCtx; 09-16-2010 at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 07:22 PM   #22
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
Did you work directly with him? Or more just under him and was able to easily obverse him?

I ask because, I'm curious if you can assess whether you think CrashGate was his idea or not.
I worked in the team..enough high in the structure to know how this guy was managing the team.

I don't know for the crashgate...but I would not be surprised. The issue appeared just before I left the team.
Appreciate 0