E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Matt Lauer FIRED!

12-01-2017, 09:47 AM   #133
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
I don't think so at all. If I had spendy office would be nice feature not for creepy shit. Sitting in office wanna not be disturbed cuz private call, talking to anyone about private matter, taking a nap, yanking one out, having a drink. It's like saying the gun shoots people. Its a lock.
exactly, i would have a button that closed AND locked the door. good for active shooters as well
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 10:04 AM   #134
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
exactly, i would have a button that closed AND locked the door. good for active shooters as well
I have a lock on my front door so I can trap people in and take them to the dungeon. Madness!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #135
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
The human resources department's function is to serve the needs of the business; its loyalty and responsibilities are to the company. Now, in some cases, that means advocate for employees against bad managers, because it's in the best interests of employers to retain great employees, identify and address bad management and stop legal problems before they explode. But plenty of other times, what's best for the employer will not be what's best for the employee, and the best interests of the employer will always win out. That's not cynicism; that's simply what HR's mission is.

On top of that, you shouldn't expect HR to keep anything confidential even if you ask or to divulge information they know about others and other departments. They can and will keep secrets or share information as they see fit. All of these things can work to your benefit or against it depending on your needs, the needs of the company, and the quality of your human resources department. Before you jump into a new job, or make a request of HR at your existing one, you should make an effort to understand how the department operates. You don't want to make a request and find out it hurts your position at the company.
Well yeah, of course. I didn't say they don't do that. They can do all those things and have the best interests of the business in mind but still be corrupt assholes.

If you look at the list of stuff Lauer did, I'm sure HR knew exactly what was going on, but keeping quiet was in the best interest of the company. This latest issue was probably too big for them to keep quiet about, or the evidence was too revealing.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
Katin134.00
      12-01-2017, 12:59 PM   #136
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Well yeah, of course. I didn't say they don't do that. They can do all those things and have the best interests of the business in mind but still be corrupt assholes.

If you look at the list of stuff Lauer did, I'm sure HR knew exactly what was going on, but keeping quiet was in the best interest of the company. This latest issue was probably too big for them to keep quiet about, or the evidence was too revealing.
I'm going to challenge this from my own experience. I've dealt with so many serious misconduct investigations where the patterns of wrongdoing have been going on for years and no one in corporate HR knew anything about it. I've had may serious investigations that have involved multiple terminations (including senior executives) be solely of the magnitude they were because they were effectively hidden from those accountable to the organization for ethical conduct (HR/Internal Audit/Special Investigations/etc).

Well run workplace conspiracies go for years before being discovered by internal auditors or internal fraud units or human resources. I'd venture to guess that there were some senior execs at NBC who knew something, but I'll bet you that their General Counsel, Human Resources, or Internal Audit teams knew nothing. Some local HR generalist may have known something, but that's not the same thing.

Last edited by JohnnyCanuck; 12-01-2017 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 01:29 PM   #137
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
I'm going to challenge this from my own experience. I've dealt with so many serious misconduct investigations where the patterns of wrongdoing have been going on for years and no one in corporate HR knew anything about it. I've had may serious investigations that have involved multiple terminations (including senior executives) be solely of the magnitude they were because they were effectively hidden from those accountable to the organization for ethical conduct (HR/Internal Audit/Special Investigations/etc).

Well run workplace conspiracies go for years before being discovered by internal auditors or internal fraud units or human resources. I'd venture to guess that there were some senior execs at NBC who knew something, but I'll bet you that their General Counsel, Human Resources, or Internal Audit teams knew nothing. Some local HR generalist may have known something, but that's not the same thing.
True, and I'm sure you are likely right. I'm sure many things can be well hidden from HR and go on for years without anyone knowing, especially in cases where the aggressor threatens those who they fear may leak information. It is impossible to know, we can only guess, especially with a company with as much presence to the public as a news media organization. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with management, not necessarily HR. I know that in my current company, if an employee gave a co-worker a sex toy as a present, and someone found out about it, there would instantly be an investigation.

I can only imagine the things you have seen, I only bring it up because it does exist, especially for companies with a lot of media presence. They would rather try to cover things up and make them go away if possible, to try and prevent negative publicity from getting out, no matter how stupid that choice may be in the long run. I worked for an agency previously that had a conspiracy that involved over half the HR dept, directors, and a commissioner. It was not anything related to sexual harassment or assault, but because of a few news paper articles that made this particular department look bad in the papers. Instead of coming out with the truth, they picked a scapegoat. They altered his outstanding yearly reviews, legal documents between agency lawyers, and even some signed documents that were FOI'd. I will say they had outside government influence, and many thought their jobs were on the line so they aren't 100% to blame, but it can happen. It took a lot of money in lawyers to bring all of this to light, and many people were impacted from multiple levels.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park

Last edited by CTinline-six; 12-01-2017 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 02:08 PM   #138
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Yesterday, 3 people from HR grilled my poor niece for 2 1/2 hours. They tried to twist comments he said to and about her around and make mountains out of molehills, but she stood firm that ML and her only had co-worker banter and if he ever would have crossed the line she'd have told him, then if it didn't stop she'd tell somebody else and escalate it.

I've got to give her credit though, when they asked her if she was afraid of coming forward she told them to stop wasting time on her when there were SERIOUS allegations by others and that the ONLY thing she was afraid of was THEM and pointed at the 3 HR people in the room with her and asked if she needed a lawyer
MKSixer34188.50
upstatedoc7567.50
      12-01-2017, 02:29 PM   #139
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

CTinline-six I agree with you that there are almost always people that knew who either looked the other way because "that's just Matt" or actively covered up for more insidious reasons.

Reporting chains are a critical element. Even though I have always had a normal reporting chain to a director or AVP or other executive, on serious internal investigations I have often found myself reporting directly to CEO/CFO positions and through to the HR committee of the Board. Internal fraud units almost always report directly to the CEO and a Board committee. Without those mechanisms in place, you get a chilling effect on investigations and on the organizations commitment to do the right thing. I've been fortunate in that respect that I've always had a clear line to the right places, but I know that's not always the case and I have peers in other organizations who have to walk a much finer line.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 02:30 PM   #140
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Yesterday, 3 people from HR grilled my poor niece for 2 1/2 hours. They tried to twist comments he said to and about her around and make mountains out of molehills, but she stood firm that ML and her only had co-worker banter and if he ever would have crossed the line she'd have told him, then if it didn't stop she'd tell somebody else and escalate it.

I've got to give her credit though, when they asked her if she was afraid of coming forward she told them to stop wasting time on her when there were SERIOUS allegations by others and that the ONLY thing she was afraid of was THEM and pointed at the 3 HR people in the room with her and asked if she needed a lawyer
Then that's not a properly run witness interview or investigation. Perhaps they need to take one of my workshops
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      12-01-2017, 03:16 PM   #141
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post

Then that's not a properly run witness interview or investigation. Perhaps they need to take one of my workshops
I definitely think it sounds like they could use it. Now might be the perfect opportunity to introduce yourself to their hr department
      12-01-2017, 03:37 PM   #142
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
I don't think so at all. If I had spendy office would be nice feature not for creepy shit. Sitting in office wanna not be disturbed cuz private call, talking to anyone about private matter, taking a nap, yanking one out, having a drink. It's like saying the gun shoots people. Its a lock.
Dude, I've had spendy offices in swank places and I've never had a secret lock actuator on any door. If I needed privacy, I simply told the admin to hold all calls and visitors for the next hour or whatever unless the building was on fire or a first degree relative called with an emergency. I was never disturbed and my privacy was always respected.

No one needs a Dr. Evil secret lock except for Dr. Evil. And you know if you're going to see Dr. Evil or even Commander Grab 'Em by The Pussy, what to expect. Even an alien.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 03:56 PM   #143
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
I have a lock on my front door so I can trap people in and take them to the dungeon. Madness!
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ce-report.html

Mr. Lauer beat everyone to it.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 05:04 PM   #144
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Does she know what his job was during his interview and what her husban...never mind.

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/36...-more-in-karma

Lunatic fringe.
      12-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #145
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Dude, I've had spendy offices in swank places and I've never had a secret lock actuator on any door. If I needed privacy, I simply told the admin to hold all calls and visitors for the next hour or whatever unless the building was on fire or a first degree relative called with an emergency. I was never disturbed and my privacy was always respected.

No one needs a Dr. Evil secret lock except for Dr. Evil. And you know if you're going to see Dr. Evil or even Commander Grab 'Em by The Pussy, what to expect. Even an alien.
Guess I'm am alien then cuz think it would be cool to have and not creepy.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34188.50
      12-01-2017, 06:24 PM   #146
Katin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
The human resources department's function is to serve the needs of the business; its loyalty and responsibilities are to the company. Now, in some cases, that means advocate for employees against bad managers, because it's in the best interests of employers to retain great employees, identify and address bad management and stop legal problems before they explode. But plenty of other times, what's best for the employer will not be what's best for the employee, and the best interests of the employer will always win out. That's not cynicism; that's simply what HR's mission is.

On top of that, you shouldn't expect HR to keep anything confidential even if you ask or to divulge information they know about others and other departments. They can and will keep secrets or share information as they see fit. All of these things can work to your benefit or against it depending on your needs, the needs of the company, and the quality of your human resources department. Before you jump into a new job, or make a request of HR at your existing one, you should make an effort to understand how the department operates. You don't want to make a request and find out it hurts your position at the company.
Enlightening...
Appreciate 0