E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Almost STOLEN (illegally towed) vehicle... what to do?

08-27-2008, 10:34 PM   #23
SES_D
pewpew
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

glad your gf heard and got your car back!
      08-28-2008, 09:35 AM   #24
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

They were stealing it and got caught.

File with police, attempted theft.

Prevent it from happening to someone else.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2008, 09:18 PM   #25
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
they were playing dumb...they try to steal your car
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 01:06 PM   #26
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport

Anyone know what's involved with civil cases? That is, who I can call, how to do it, etc? I have the necessary paperwork I got from the Officer... He told me if I were to take this civil case, this piece of paper is all that I would need.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 01:39 PM   #27
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

call the tow truck company a few times and have them come out to tow cars that dont exist. get it.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 01:43 PM   #28
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
call the tow truck company a few times and have them come out to tow cars that dont exist. get it.
not harsh enough... they'll probably end up stealing my car again...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 02:13 PM   #29
777ER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE3P_to_E90 View Post
Anyone know what's involved with civil cases? That is, who I can call, how to do it, etc? I have the necessary paperwork I got from the Officer... He told me if I were to take this civil case, this piece of paper is all that I would need.
Which state did this happen in? MD or NYC?

Sedan | Poplar trim | Steptronic | Cold Package | Power front seats w/memory | Xenon Adaptive Headlights | PDC | 2008 Plate LED's | PBX | LUX v5.2
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 10:55 AM   #30
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777ER View Post
Which state did this happen in? MD or NYC?
Baltimore, MD. Here, tow companies have the "right" to tow cars that are illegally parked on streets (e.g. no parking during 4-6pm, etc). Too bad I was legally parked in my own parking lot with a valid permit.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 01:20 PM   #31
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

First file a formal charge that the car was stole and force the police to press charges against the people. Since the officer said that he felt they stole the car that is all you need. Once that is done file a civil complaint, against the tow company for hiring car thieves and also against the two individually personally. The tow company will probably file bankruptcy and you will not see a dine from them but the individual if they have property you can put a lien on it.

When you file a civil complaint file for more than the car damages, file for personal direst since I bet your not sleeping well these days since you worry your car will be stole again.

I can tell I had this happen to me In PA while I was stand there. We parked in a private lot on a Saturday along with a bunch of other cars and walk down the street to go to a store and turned around only to see our van being towed and this was right in front of the police station. Ran to the police told them what happen as we explained it there was another tow truck hauling off another car and I said to the police are you going to do anything about it. They said no, it was private property and they had no authority. I find the tow company went there with my family and 6 month old and try to get to the Van to get the baby stuff out and they would not let us near the car until we paid them $150 Cash no check or credit cards accepted.

Turns out this is scam that the city and police had been turning a blind eye to. Parking lot owners were setting up deals with tow companies to police their lots and tow any cars off them and they would split the cost of recovery. In this case their lots could have been chained off or close to entry but they left them open because they knew people would park there on the weekend when there was no attendant.

This is the reason Calif has a law that clearly states a car can not be towed without the owners permission or a police order even if it is on private property. Once the car hits the public road if the tow truck driver does not have your signature or a police order it is considered stolen. I was on a HOA and we tried to get someone car towed off the properly since it was illegally parked and not tow company would touch it until we got a authorization from the police.

Thinking about this I would also file a suite against the apartment owners since he authorize them to tow your car. They are ultimately responsible and I bet they have a deal with towing company, why else tow cars at 2AM, because the know over night visitor are there and most likely do not have a permit.

Last edited by Maestro; 09-08-2008 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 01:22 PM   #32
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

this is gay. i hope all goes well man
      09-08-2008, 09:22 AM   #33
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
First file a formal charge that the car was stole and force the police to press charges against the people. Since the officer said that he felt they stole the car that is all you need. Once that is done file a civil complaint, against the tow company for hiring car thieves and also against the two individually personally. The tow company will probably file bankruptcy and you will not see a dine from them but the individual if they have property you can put a lien on it.

When you file a civil complaint file for more than the car damages, file for personal direst since I bet your not sleeping well these days since you worry your car will be stole again.

I can tell I had this happen to me In PA while I was stand there. We parked in a private lot on a saturday along with a bunch of other cars and walk down the street to go to a store and turned around only to see our van being towed and this was right in front of the police station. Ran to the police told them what happen as we explained it there was another tow truck hauling off another car and I said to the police are you going to do anything about it. They said no it was private property and they had no authority. I find the tow company went there with my family and 6 month old and try to get to the Van to get the baby stuff out and they would not let us near the car until we paid them $150 Cash no check or credit cards excepted.

Turns out this is scam that the city and police had been turning a blind eye to. Parking lot owners were setting up deals with tow companies to police their lots and tow any cars off them and they would split the cost of recovery. In this case their lots could have been chained off or close to entry but they left them open because they knew people would park there on the weekend when there was no attendant.

This is the reason Calif has a law that clearly states a car can not be towed without the owners permission or a police oder even if it is on private property. Once the car hits the public road if the tow truck driver does not have your signature or a police order it is considered stolen. I was on a HOA and we tried to get someone car towed off the properly since it was illegally parked and not tow company would touch it until we got a authorization from the police.

Thinking about this I would also file a suite against the apartment owners since he authorize them to tow your car. They are ultimately responsible and I bet they have a deal with towing company, why else tow cars at 2AM, because the know over night visitor are there and most likely do not have a permit.

I looked in to, asked my sister's boyfriend (who's an attorney), and he sent me information on filing a small claims case in MD's civil courts... It seems that it's going to be a tid-bit pain in the ass. So, i'm just going to have to bite the bullet on this one.

Also, my car has no damage anywhere, so i think Karma's going to be a pain in the ass if I pursue this.

That tow company and the douchebags that work it are complete bums. The tow lot was a mess as well. It sucks that this happened, but at least it wasn't any worse than it was.

Lastly, I would go against the landlord because he's such a dumb prick, but I have done a few things to this apartment that i'm not particularly proud of, lol. There have been a lot of nights where i had a few too many beers, and the lobby didn't look so great

Uhaulball, it's all settled. Everything's back to normal now, but it still sucks because this was such a PITA.
Appreciate 0