E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Motor Trend Z06 test video.

11-26-2014, 10:57 PM   #45
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
The Z06 will be as fast as the Viper TA or the upcoming GT3RS on a track. I am a track junky I guess, but at certain point I have to ask myself whether I would feel comfortable with all that speed?
The fact is, I have difficulties getting the most out of the 997.2 GT3RS on track. I cannot do laptimes within 0.5S of consistency over 10 laps. Getting faster is not necessarily means more fun. Actually, now that I think of it, the M3 and the MX-5 just as much fun (or more) than the GT3RS. I think I would be frightened by the Z06. I doubt I can easily exploit the limits of any car similarly fast.
On one of my last track days I was passing a couple of Gen IV ACR Vipers and one of the driver came up to me after our session and said it must be fun this car around the track. I had to tell him sometimes I am f.king terrified and feels like hard work and concentration.
Anyway, kudos to GM, the new Z06 seems like a very nice car.
(might pick up a convertible to avoid temptation to track it!)
Actually the vibe I get from the reviews is how easy the car is to drive. The chassis handles the hp very well. Randy Pobst said, "The power felt great. Honestly, I want another hundred more. It's stable enough. You don't feel threatened." Granted Randy is a very accomplished racer. But Chris Lago echoed similar thoughts about how composed the new Z06 is.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 10:02 AM   #46
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
The Z06 will be as fast as the Viper TA or the upcoming GT3RS on a track. I am a track junky I guess, but at certain point I have to ask myself whether I would feel comfortable with all that speed?
The fact is, I have difficulties getting the most out of the 997.2 GT3RS on track. I cannot do laptimes within 0.5S of consistency over 10 laps. Getting faster is not necessarily means more fun. Actually, now that I think of it, the M3 and the MX-5 just as much fun (or more) than the GT3RS. I think I would be frightened by the Z06. I doubt I can easily exploit the limits of any car similarly fast.
On one of my last track days I was passing a couple of Gen IV ACR Vipers and one of the driver came up to me after our session and said it must be fun this car around the track. I had to tell him sometimes I am f.king terrified and feels like hard work and concentration.
Anyway, kudos to GM, the new Z06 seems like a very nice car.
(might pick up a convertible to avoid temptation to track it!)
It's hard to get the most out of a car like the GT3/RS when the limits are as high as they are and you are not a pro driver. Can only think of a couple cars that would be able to match or surpass its limits (one being the new GT3). Most people can't get the most out of a car like an m3 and its limits are not in the same solar system.

I still can't believe what a heavy car the z06 is.

Last edited by Wolfinwolfsclothing; 11-27-2014 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 10:47 AM   #47
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
It's hard to get the most out of a car like the GT3/RS when the limits are as high as they are and you are not a pro driver. Can only think of a couple cars that would be able to match or surpass its limits (one being the new GT3). Most people can't get the most out of a car like an m3 and its limits are not in the same solar system.

I still can't believe what a heavy car the z06 is.
Low weight is good, very good, but good engineers can also make something good out a of heavy car (i.e. GT-R, 911 Turbo, RC F). Of course lighter they would be even better. By the way, 992 will get only turbo engines, from 991 through 911S to 911 Turbo S. Only the 911 GT3 and GT3 RS will stay with NA engine, probably next 911 GTS. That explains why a Cayman GT4 is being built.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 10:58 AM   #48
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Low weight is good, very good, but good engineers can also make something good out a of heavy car (i.e. GT-R, 911 Turbo, RC F). Of course lighter they would be even better. By the way, 992 will get only turbo engines, from 991 through 911S to 911 Turbo S. Only the 911 GT3 and GT3 RS will stay with NA engine, probably next 911 GTS. That explains why a Cayman GT4 is being built.
True, but the GTR and Turbo are AWD which IMO is really needed when you get to these power levels. I still don't think Chevy knows how to do steering feel right considering the stingray isn't very good. Not having a dual clutch really is a bad decision for a sports car too IMO despite how good the ZF autos are.
I know the new 991/.2s will be turbo cars but I don't think anyone does turbos quite as well as Porsche does. 911 turbo has always been one of the most iconic and best turbo cars built at any period of time. The 991 turbo is probably the best all around car money can buy.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 12:27 PM   #49
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
Actually the vibe I get from the reviews is how easy the car is to drive. The chassis handles the hp very well. Randy Pobst said, "The power felt great. Honestly, I want another hundred more. It's stable enough. You don't feel threatened." Granted Randy is a very accomplished racer. But Chris Lago echoed similar thoughts about how composed the new Z06 is.
I agree. The Aero in the Z07 package works so well that it inspires great confidence and there is no evidence of the snap oversteer that could catch you out in the C6 version. I think you would find you are getting better track times with this car and not sweating bullets doing it.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 09:39 AM   #50
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

Quote:
True, so far the reviews are very encouraging. What I tried to say is that at my level of track driving, for example, if I loose the rear end unintentionally it matters what speed I am travelling. Just have more time to think and collect the car if I am not going crazy fast.
When I learned to correct the M3 and eventually keep it in a drift (took me more than a few hours to learn) I felt safe, had enough run off etc. never felt I am doing something dangerous. When I tried to do the same thing with the RS (have to admit, cannot really keep it in a drift like the M3) I always felt scared, mainly because everything happened 10-15mph faster. Last time I span the RS so violently and so sudden, I cant even tell what happened and what do I need to do differently. I lost the car on the exit of turn 4 leading to the return straight at 100-105mph, The car did 2,5 full turns and was skipping on the grass like a stone on water. Had enough time in the car to think about impact, my stupidity etc. (even gut a dead fish!! in the car!!! through the open window.) No impact just sheared brake cooling ducts and bruised ego. But if that would have happened at 10-20mph faster I don't know.. Just saying. And you can have all the hooliganism with the M3 or and MX-5 all days for less money and still having fun.
I guess I you do not want to drive them at the limit on track - like most of the Viper guys here - then the high limits are great and you can be the fastest guy in your group. For me, I like to exploit the limits of the car then try to improve on the car or on myself. More fun to drive a slower car as fast as it can go than a very fast car at 80%.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #51
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
True, so far the reviews are very encouraging. What I tried to say is that at my level of track driving, for example, if I loose the rear end unintentionally it matters what speed I am travelling. Just have more time to think and collect the car if I am not going crazy fast.
When I learned to correct the M3 and eventually keep it in a drift (took me more than a few hours to learn) I felt safe, had enough run off etc. never felt I am doing something dangerous. When I tried to do the same thing with the RS (have to admit, cannot really keep it in a drift like the M3) I always felt scared, mainly because everything happened 10-15mph faster. Last time I span the RS so violently and so sudden, I cant even tell what happened and what do I need to do differently. I lost the car on the exit of turn 4 leading to the return straight at 100-105mph, The car did 2,5 full turns and was skipping on the grass like a stone on water. Had enough time in the car to think about impact, my stupidity etc. (even gut a dead fish!! in the car!!! through the open window.) No impact just sheared brake cooling ducts and bruised ego. But if that would have happened at 10-20mph faster I don't know.. Just saying. And you can have all the hooliganism with the M3 or and MX-5 all days for less money and still having fun.
I guess I you do not want to drive them at the limit on track - like most of the Viper guys here - then the high limits are great and you can be the fastest guy in your group. For me, I like to exploit the limits of the car then try to improve on the car or on myself. More fun to drive a slower car as fast as it can go than a very fast car at 80%.
The Porsche is a much more difficult car to drive close to it's limits on track unless you are a very experienced driver, versus vehicles such as the M3/4 and from all reports the C7 Corvettes. It sounds as if the new Z06 is easy to modulate even at high speeds on track and whose handling is pretty 'benign'. I personally am now at an age where I don't have to be the fastest in my run group anymore but I do still enjoy running smoothly and fast.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 11:26 AM   #52
8nthatk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M

That’s impressive…the Z06 absolutely owns a pretty decent car in the GT3.

Quote:
Uh oh wolf…hmm doesn’t look good for the GT3 around a track.

991 GT3

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 3.0 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 7.1 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 3.9 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 2.2 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 2.1 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 11.2 sec @ 126 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 135 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 1.12 g

Corvette Z06

C/D TEST RESULTS: