E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Is the camera I bought any good?

02-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #23
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Well duh, the EOS 450 is a DSLR. Many people don't want a DSLR, but still want good image quality. For them, then G10 is one of the few options with competitive quality in a compact, sophisticated package. Run the G9 or G10's RAW files through DxO's Optics Pro correction software and the P&S-to-DSLR image quality gap narrows considerably.

If image quality were your top priority you would have bought a 1D MkIII or 5D MkII with a load of L-series lenses, but you didn't,perhaps because you didn't like the bulk or cost. Almost every camera is a compromise and what you'll choose will vary with your experience, needs, pocket depth and relative priorities.

Dave
No need for that response but DUH - yes I understand the difference between a DSLR and a P&S/Superzoom/Hybrid whatever you wish to call them. The point I was trying to address was that some DSLR can be bought for around the same money. The problem then is the outlay on lenses. For a P&S - its good, but a cheaper DSLR will beat it on IQ.

I have been going through the motions deciding on whether to buy a DSLR or stick with the superzooms. I have a FZ28 and now have a Canon SX1 aswell. A quick comparison test shows the Canon to have the better IQ.

I fully agree with your last paragraph - that's why its probably pointless to ask the questions to the masses - as everyone has different amounts of money and different priorities!
      02-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #24
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
The OP already bought a G10 and $500 was his max budget. Since he gave us no further parameters, I'd guess that he's not too deep into photography; therefore, I'd give him the ole thumbs up on a good choice.

Dave
      02-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #25
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Really good camera at 400 ISO and under.