F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Ambient lighting help
Studio RSR

03-26-2024, 07:09 PM   #1
mg711
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vw Golf

Ambient lighting help

Has anyone installed aftermarket ambient lighting. I’m curious on doing this and wondering what brands are the best in terms of quality and longevity. I’ve heard people like the led symphony from Ali express but have mixed feelings about stuff from there.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 11:29 AM   #2
mg711
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg711 View Post
Has anyone installed aftermarket ambient lighting. I’m curious on doing this and wondering what brands are the best in terms of quality and longevity. I’ve heard people like the led symphony from Ali express but have mixed feelings about stuff from there.
Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 06:52 PM   #3
sizanx
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 420d Gran Coupé

I've bought kits from aliexpress numerous times, I have not had any trouble. The important part is to pick a vendor and stick with it, as you can't be sure that strips or controllers from one will match another. If you already have ambient lighting from factory, there are kits on aliexpress that should be quite plug and play.

I bought from "WY Car Store", but would probably buy from another vendor as no long dashboard light is included. I needed to add a resistor to their 100 cm strip to make it match the brightness. Bought 3 extra 74 cm strips for center console and AC.

Knowing how to solder is also a great help as you can use scrap pieces for speakers etc:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ostcount=14475
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2024, 07:00 PM   #4
mg711
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizanx View Post
I've bought kits from aliexpress numerous times, I have not had any trouble. The important part is to pick a vendor and stick with it, as you can't be sure that strips or controllers from one will match another. If you already have ambient lighting from factory, there are kits on aliexpress that should be quite plug and play.

I bought from "WY Car Store", but would probably buy from another vendor as no long dashboard light is included. I needed to add a resistor to their 100 cm strip to make it match the brightness. Bought 3 extra 74 cm strips for center console and AC.

Knowing how to solder is also a great help as you can use scrap pieces for speakers etc:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ostcount=14475
Thanks for your feedback. Does this look good?
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...2usa4itemAdapt
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 03:40 AM   #5
sizanx
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 420d Gran Coupé

It looks good, should be fine
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 08:10 AM   #6
mg711