E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Thinking of moving to San Francisco

10-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #45
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by i dunno View Post
dude he'll be fine. I live in sf. I don't make 6 figures, and I managed to pay off my car and have a garage. relax man.
you have a 5 year old base model 3-series.....

you ARE NOT making payments on an M3 and you DO NOT live in a nice area that Naveed wants to live in....

if "having a garage" is your biggest milestone, then yeah, SF is really keeping you from being happy....
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #46
srezzo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
don't do it dude.....

right now, you live at home and are not really responsible for anything.

if you're not making 6-fig now and you don't get 6-fig when you go to SF, it ain't worth it.

your quality of life is fantastic here in Houston.

once you get out from your dad's house, you will be paying @ $2500 in bills a month living in SF.....

car
rent
insuranceS
bills
food

$100K goes a long way here in Houston - in SF you'll be living paycheck to paycheck.

Cali is beautiful - in a perfect world i'd live in San Diego, but if i took the 6-fig income i make now and move to SD, my lifestyle would change for the worse.

i wouldn't be able to buy things and do things that i want over there unless i got a 60-70% uplift....

it would be a disaster if you went to SF for only $120K.....
I travel to SF often for work and have visited SD. I love both, but each time I think moving there I come to a similar conclusion as yours...(I believe the Metro Detroit area is similar to Houston as far as standard of living)
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #47
F32
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

People completely exaggerate how much money you need to live well.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #48
F32
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngnastyman View Post
Bachelors Degree and 8+ Years in an Enterprise IT environment. I got my undergrad while working for the company I am with now.

Currently I am an IT Consultant with heavy focus on Linux/UNIX systems, engineered solutions, Tier 1 and 2 SAN and Storage, replication, and disaster recovery.

Spent 4 years as a Linux Administrator, and past 4 years I have been in kind of a hybrid Storage/Linux Consulting role within our Infrastructure Operations group.

Spot checking around on job listing websites I saw a few Sr. Linux Administrator or Storage Administrator opportunities in SF or closeby offering 120-150K depending on experience.

PLUS - in my field - a degree really doesn't mean squat. Experience is a must.

The role with Facebook was a Systems Engineer role which (according to GlassDoor) averages at around 120K.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #49
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Honestly, you should see what kind of job you can get, and then plan accordingly. Right now everything is just speculation and fantasy.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #50
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a pair of legs

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:

you ARE NOT making payments on an M3 and you DO NOT live in a nice area that Naveed wants to live in....

if "having a garage" is your biggest milestone, then yeah, SF is really keeping you from being happy....
dude calm your tits. trust me. his quality of life will be fine with his expected salary.

if I didn't like my area, I would've moved away already.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #51
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srezzo View Post
(I believe the Metro Detroit area is similar to Houston as far as standard of living)
maybe cost of living but not "standard" of living.

Houston residents take home more money on their paychecks than every other major metro area in the nation.....

we actually have nice parks/recreation/activities going on in downtown Houston.

Detroit has been battling New Jersey for "king dumpster fire" for about a decade...

Detroit is the worst metro area in the nation, hands down...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #52
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by i dunno View Post
dude calm your tits. trust me. his quality of life will be fine with his expected salary.

if I didn't like my area, I would've moved away already.
you probably haven't moved because you can't afford to move.

SF is zapping all your income - living paycheck to paycheck.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #53
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
you probably haven't moved because you can't afford to move.

SF is zapping all your income - living paycheck to paycheck.
and I live in a homeless shelter and get by on scavenging hipster scraps. oh life in sf is so hard. woe is me. I wonder why I just don't move to a cheaper place outside the city.

I dunno how this dissolved into presumptuous personal attacks against me. I was just trying to have a genuine conversation about living here. and trust me, he and his m3 will be fine if he lives in glen park.

Last edited by i dunno; 10-10-2013 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #54
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist
Honestly, you should see what kind of job you can get, and then plan accordingly. Right now everything is just speculation and fantasy.
Agreed.

First let's see if I even get accepted to Berkeley. I should know by January. That gives me some time to find a job and then the rest falls into place.

People do leave their hometowns for college you know - not really an outrageous fantasy

Also - DUDE! Impressive Line-up you got there! Namely the GT3! Pics?!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #55
yarviinn
Captain
Rep
Drives: E9TT3

Stay away from SF and stay away from Sacramento.

I would recommend San Jose. It's the perfect place. You can always commute to SF through BART? It takes about 1-1.5 hrs each way though. Driving in SF is hell and I wouldn't recommend it. Garage queen your m3 and drive on weekends
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #56
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
I once saw a young black woman trying to park on an incline near Nob Hill. She literally plowed into the car parked lower on the incline making both cars visibly jump into the air, and then casually drove slightly up the hill, set the parking brake, and took off to where ever she was going.
wtf? this again

Why am I not surprised to see Litos in here trying to convert OP back to Houston/TX?

OP, I think you'll go where you get accepted.. unless you have a choice then you'll need to decide

My only bad experience living in SF briefly - being heckled "GAY!" by some redneck in a beater while riding a bike across the bridge, I think it was the Abercrombie checkered shirt though

And I got ignored trying to rent a car at Enterprise .. then I am realize cuz I'M ASIAN (and under 25) that was normal, so I ain't even mad..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #57
srezzo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Quote:

Houston residents take home more money on their paychecks than every other major metro area in the nation.....

Detroit has been battling New Jersey for "king dumpster fire" for about a decade...

I travel A LOT and anyone who would call Detroit the "worst metro area in the nation, hands down" has obviously never explored the entire region. One of the top 5 wealthiest counties is right here in Metro Detroit. Don't believe everything you see on TV.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #58
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by srezzo View Post
I travel A LOT and anyone who would call Detroit the "worst metro area in the nation, hands down" has obviously never explored the entire region. One of the top 5 wealthiest counties is right here in Metro Detroit. Don't believe everything you see on TV.
Detroit is the most dangerous city in the US. It might have a few wealthy suburbs but detroit proper is as bad as it comes.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #59
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trijicon View Post
Great suggestions above. Good community and culture in the East Bay as well (Oakland, Emeryville, Piedmont, and Alameda). If you live in SF, look at the Sunset or places west of Stanyon Street.
Actually I disagree with those places. I would not live in any of those places.

I would take Orinda, Danville or Dublin Ranch over those places and I had a condo out there and it was not cheap.. Walnut Creek is not too bad either.

Last edited by Endless619; 10-10-2013 at 07:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #60
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:

Agree with you 100% on most of this.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #61
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Texas is very similar to Louisiana. I moved to California earlier this year and it is night and day difference. I have been back to LA twice to visit family. Each time I am SOOO glad I moved. The people, the culture, just the area makes it worth it.

I was talking to my sister earlier today who was trying to convince me to move back and I straight up told her the lifestyle here is the much better than New Orleans. I love being surrounded by successful people in an elegant atmosphere all the time. (I live in Newport Beach) when I go home to New Orleans, I dont feel that.

Oh theres no bugs in CA! You know that noise we hear at night when you go outside. It doesn exist over here! No mosquitos either! or Lovebugs!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #62
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

btw Orange County is the best
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #63
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
Texas is very similar to Louisiana. I moved to California earlier this year and it is night and day difference. I have been back to LA twice to visit family. Each time I am SOOO glad I moved. The people, the culture, just the area makes it worth it.

I was talking to my sister earlier today who was trying to convince me to move back and I straight up told her the lifestyle here is the much better than New Orleans. I love being surrounded by successful people in an elegant atmosphere all the time. (I live in Newport Beach) when I go home to New Orleans, I dont feel that.

Oh theres no bugs in CA! You know that noise we hear at night when you go outside. It doesn exist over here! No mosquitos either! or Lovebugs!
sf and socal are SOO different lol I prefer socal myself though
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #64
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwlAznKid View Post
sf and socal are SOO different lol I prefer socal myself though
OC represent
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #65
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #66
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
I went to school in Irvine, and immediately moved after I graduated. socal never really clicked with me but I do love the rave scene down there. untz untz untz
Appreciate 0