E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > ridiculous! Pulled over for having "blue lights"

03-30-2008, 04:04 PM   #67
e90driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 325i, 08 328xi

Oh- I forgot- the government should hire individuals who follow police around incognito with cameras to catch them speeding, improperly driving, eating donuts on the job, etc.- I would gladly pay a few extra taxes to help weed out the worst....

06 325i. IT'S HERE!- 08 E92 328xi, Premium, Auto, Cold- Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 04:36 PM   #68
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 CLA45 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvtec View Post
Best was I got a ticket for a OEM exhaust,,(noise pollution) I laughed,
went to the dealership, got a written invoice stating exhaust was fine,
went to 1st attendance, gave them the paper and left the room.
Waste of time....
They love to hand out tickets for that stuff in Toronto, I know what you mean. One time I asked a cop what exactly the Highway Traffic Act meant by an unreasonable noise level, he said it's up to his discretion, so I asked if there was a db level at which point it becomes illegal like they have in California, he said he doesn't know and to contact the Ministry of the Environment. So then I (politely) asked if a minivan were to sound like a Ferrari, would that be illegal and he said yes. Mind you I wasn't pulled over when I asked all this, I was just walking by a police supervisor car at the time and was curious.
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 08:08 PM   #69
SoCal_PDX 335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray E92 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
Well, let's look at 2007 Police officer deaths across the country and you tell me:
In 2007, 186 police officers across the country were killed in the line of duty. Of that total:
15 were struck outside of their vehicle (likely from having someone pulled over)
12 were killed during a traffic/stop or pursuit with a firearm.

So, out of 186 deaths in 2007, 27 were killed almost positively from conducting a "routine traffic stop." That is 14.5% of the total.

Now, 27 doesn't sound like a high number, nor does 187 given how many police officers there are. But did 187 people in YOUR field die last year by doing their job? Did 27 of them die on the job doing a particular function? I doubt it. So, to say something INCREDIBLY FUCKING STUPID like "how is he putting his life on the line?" is total bullshit.

Now, are there jobs that are more "deadly" or dangerous? Of course, but to think that a cop isn't risking death every day he or she puts on the uniform is ignorant. No, it's not ignorant, it's just plain stupid. What do cops deal with most often in society? The worst part!!! Domestic violence calls, accidents where people have been killed in the most grisly of manners, and probably the worst case, children that have died.

And to all the jackasses that say "most cops are shit", really? You've met "most cops" in your lifetime? My guess is that you've dealt with 5 to 7 police officers in your life. There are over 900,000 law enforcement officers in the US. So even if you happen to interact with 100 of the "worst cops ever", you are still in no position to say that "MOST cops are shit." Get real.

I'm not a cop, but I have many friends who are, and I'm acquainted with even more than that. I'd put the number close to 100 law enforcement officres that I either know personally or at least more than casually. Of those, I'd say only 2 are "dicks."

Oh, and if you keep getting pulled over and the cops "keep hassling me for no fucking reason", take a lesson from Chris Rock, maybe it will help:

How not get your ass kicked by the police.

ETA: Stats on police officer deaths were compiled from: http://www.nleomf.com/TheMemorial/Fa..._EndofYear.pdf
Karma is a bitch!!!
      03-30-2008, 08:11 PM   #70
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
i dont think you should be complaining... its not that bad... now if he were to give you a ticket... that would be bad.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 08:36 PM   #71
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

I think he pulled you over because you're asian...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 09:07 PM   #72
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90driver View Post
I stick by what I've always said about cops. They should all have a GPS and a black box attached to their car. Everytime they exceed speed limit when not in pursuit or in an emergency- TICKET. Everytime they change lanes without proper signaling- TICKET. Everytime they do not come to a complete stop- TICKET. And after so many points- they should loose their license. If we enforced this rule, most cops would loose their license in the first day.

They want to pull everyone over all the time for the smallest infraction but they think they don't have abide by the same rules.

I actually like the idea of more police. Military police that is, police who cannot pull over citizens but who can pull over state and local cops and issue them a ticket.

Honestly- how much can it cost to equip a cruiser with GPS that records speed and location- a tiny amount compared to what they spend on their flashy LED's and everything else.

Police- Do as I say, not as I do.
It makes me sad that we are both from Michigan and you make posts like this. Sorry, but this is one of the less intelligent posts I've read in this thread full of inane thoughts. A police officer is on the road to look for infractions and dangers to other drivers. If they had to obey the same laws we do they couldn't do their jobs. They do not have to abide by the same rules!!!

Thanks, Mike.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 09:41 PM   #73
mfstout
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 328i Coupe

Not that this is going to make the poster happy, but the police use small infractions as an excuse to pull people over so they can find the really bad guys. THAT'S how they found Tim McVey. Not defending everything they do, but the cops should NOT have to follow the speed limit. They're cops. They should go out and find bad people and eat less dougnuts. I'm not worried if a cop uses his turn signal. I'm worried if he knows how to shoot straight, who to shoot at and when.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 10:31 PM   #74
Davin
Lieutenant Colonel
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: Yes

Police in Trinidad and tobago are hilarious... you have to come here to understand
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 10:35 PM   #75
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

no comment
      03-31-2008, 12:26 AM   #76
BIGGY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarsky View Post
Generally speaking I agree with you. There are a few good cops and law enforcement people out there, but a large percentage meet the power hungry profile way to easy and smack down anyone in their way. No flaming necessary as I have the highest respect for these guys, but I expect it (respect) in return.

There is no whining in your statement about color if some don't believe a brother in a nice ride in my neighborhood is more prone to a PC pullover they are wrong.

No thread hijack intended...EOM
No, not a large percentage. It's actually a small percentage...just like a-holes posting in this thread and snobby bmw drivers. I can say that it's the majority of people in this thread or the majority of bmw driver, but in reality it's a very small number, they just happen to have a louder bark. So you remember the a-hole cops just like you remember the stupid posters in this thread and they seem like the majority but in reality are not. In reality the cops seem stupid because there's one or two things that we know that they don't. So the cop thought the lights were blue...what's wrong with stopping the car and checking as well as checking out the driver. No harm done. In fact if someones car was stolen here, I'm pretty sure they'd appreciate that one extra stop a cop might make to get their car back.

So let's not forget that while a-hole and dumb cops do exist...the majority are not. And no, I am not a cop, nor am friends with any. It's not a power trip or lack of respect...it's called scrutiny and we simply don't like it.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 12:31 AM   #77
BIGGY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfstout View Post
Not that this is going to make the poster happy, but the police use small infractions as an excuse to pull people over so they can find the really bad guys. THAT'S how they found Tim McVey. Not defending everything they do, but the cops should NOT have to follow the speed limit. They're cops. They should go out and find bad people and eat less dougnuts. I'm not worried if a cop uses his turn signal. I'm worried if he knows how to shoot straight, who to shoot at and when.
+1 99% of the time if you did something simple like not use a turn signal, they're going to check your license and let you go. I got stopped once on my motorcycle. After my license and the bike were cleared the officer told me that about 30 minutes ago a motorcycle was stolen at gun point from the owner and the bike I was riding matched the description and direction last seen. I certainly would appreciate it if I called in my motorcycle was stolen and that extra bit of effort were made. Funny how it's easy to bad mouth the police till you need them, then go crying that they can't be there a minute too soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 12:37 AM   #78
SES_D
pewpew
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

lol, that's a ridiculously stupid reason to pull you over for License plate lights. If he were to stop you for having blue HEADLIGHTS then that's more understandable...but comeon...wow, some cops amaze me.

There was a cop here who pulled a member over for having painted reflectors...now you know that guy knows about BMW's to give him such a hard time about it.
      03-31-2008, 12:58 AM   #79
karliejai
Da Kid
United_States
Rep
Drives: JetBlack e90 335i

i hate it when cop just bother you for nothing

MODS: OEM Front Splitter | ACS Roof Spoiler | OEM Trunk Spoiler | Matt Black Front Grill | Black Shadowline Window Trim | Painted Front Lower Rod | Blacklines | JDM Yellow Fogs | Custom Silver CF Headlights with LUX 4.0 | Eisenhaus Sports Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 08:08 AM   #80
e90driver
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
It makes me sad that we are both from Michigan and you make posts like this. Sorry, but this is one of the less intelligent posts I've read in this thread full of inane thoughts. A police officer is on the road to look for infractions and dangers to other drivers. If they had to obey the same laws we do they couldn't do their jobs. They do not have to abide by the same rules!!!

Thanks, Mike.
Would you show me the laws or admendments to laws which clearly indicate and explicitly state that police officers are not governed by and subject to them?

They can't do their job if they use their turn signal in normal driving? The can't do their job if they have to make a complete stop during normal driving? They can't do their job if they must abide by the speed limit during normal driving? hmmm.. Here I thought cops were intelligent and they can't manage to drive their crusier like they expect us dumb ones with a college education to do?

This is funny, but when I was in the 6th grade, we had a D.A.R.E. cop in our classroom (Drug Abuse Resistance Education). One week he didn't show up and the next day my buddy brought in a copy of the newspaper showing he had been arrested for manufacturing and distributing drugs. He was eventually found guilty and sentenced to 20 years, the judge was expecially harsh since he was preaching to students to not use drugs.

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 08:29 AM   #81
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

darn ... at least the cop didnt give u a ticket... if you get pulled over here in montreal, you'll get a ticket for sure ... and it costs about $150 for your "blue" lights.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 09:53 AM   #82
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Would you show me the laws or admendments to laws which clearly indicate and explicitly state that police officers are not governed by and subject to them?

They can't do their job if they use their turn signal in normal driving? The can't do their job if they have to make a complete stop during normal driving? They can't do their job if they must abide by the speed limit during normal driving? hmmm.. Here I thought cops were intelligent and they can't manage to drive their crusier like they expect us dumb ones with a college education to do?

This is funny, but when I was in the 6th grade, we had a D.A.R.E. cop in our classroom (Drug Abuse Resistance Education). One week he didn't show up and the next day my buddy brought in a copy of the newspaper showing he had been arrested for manufacturing and distributing drugs. He was eventually found guilty and sentenced to 20 years, the judge was expecially harsh since he was preaching to students to not use drugs.
I don't know this as a fact but the premise of your original post on this topic is nonsense. Traffic cops are not on the road to drive like the ongoing traffic. What would be the point of their job if they were out there driving like the rest of us? Also, I know no one who drives as you suggest police officers drive. Do you always use your signals, drive the speed limit and make full stops when indicated to do so? I know I don't.

Thanks, Mike.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 10:08 AM   #83
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 GT-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal jet black View Post
darn ... at least the cop didnt give u a ticket... if you get pulled over here in montreal, you'll get a ticket for sure ... and it costs about $150 for your "blue" lights.
Are you saying Xenon and LED lights that come stock on the car from the manufacturer are illegal in Canada?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 10:15 AM   #84
calvino
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: had e90, 330i mystic blue

Garage List
2006 e90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Sorry your time is so precious that someone who regularly puts his life on the line can't bug you about a mod on your car. I agree it was petty but I think everyone here should have more respect for the police. You're all acting like spoiled brats.

Thanks, Mike.
Soldiers in Iraq also put they life on the line for us everyday.

907 US troops die last year. http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...ype=rss&cat=&s last year.

some cops have nothing better to do and they just try to stop you for anything.

I don't like cops they think they are better than anyone else.
      03-31-2008, 10:20 AM   #85
e90driver
Lieutenant
Rep

I almost always make full stops and I almost always use my turn signal. I don't always follow the speed limit. If you would like to see a cop drive like I've described, come over for coffee before I leave for work in the morning and I'll show you at least 1 on the way or I'll pay you $100 for your troubles.

The burden of proof lies with you if you want to convince me that cops should not have to obey reasonable road rules (rules that they write tickets for if there is an infraction) when they are not in pursuit or otherwise unable to.

And if you think the rules don't apply to the cops, talk to my dare officer (yes I still remember his name and he is still in prison according to O.T.I.S.) and ask him how life is behind bars as a former cop.

If you honestly think certain people are above the law, that is an unfortunate misunderstanding on your part and in direct conflict with the ideals of our system of justice.

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 10:24 AM   #86
maximka
Captain
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: bmw 335 xi

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
2007 bmw x5 4.8i  [0.00]
+1

Bmw X5 (2007) 4.8i. Black , Black interior, sport pkg Logic 7. full
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 10:59 AM   #87
urnuts
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i (the now "slow" bmw)

Cops

Some cops are jerks, most are not.
Most of the ones that are jerks are that way because of dealing with some of the jerks on this board.
Hate the cops... blah, blah, blah... and then run to the phone to dial 911 when somebody scratches your car.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 11:55 AM   #88
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I almost always make full stops and I almost always use my turn signal. I don't always follow the speed limit. If you would like to see a cop drive like I've described, come over for coffee before I leave for work in the morning and I'll show you at least 1 on the way or I'll pay you $100 for your troubles.

The burden of proof lies with you if you want to convince me that cops should not have to obey reasonable road rules (rules that they write tickets for if there is an infraction) when they are not in pursuit or otherwise unable to.

And if you think the rules don't apply to the cops, talk to my dare officer (yes I still remember his name and he is still in prison according to O.T.I.S.) and ask him how life is behind bars as a former cop.

If you honestly think certain people are above the law, that is an unfortunate misunderstanding on your part and in direct conflict with the ideals of our system of justice.
It's not about being above the law. It's about what police need to do to do their job. And please don't equate what the DARE cop did with not signaling, etc... That's not what we are talking about and you know it.

This thread has become about police bashing. Personally I know some cops and they are good people and I've never been unfairly treated by a police officer. You apparently think that cops think they are above the law. I never said they were above the law. If some don't follow all traffic rules while doing their job I have no problem with that. I don't know why you do except that you for some reason don't like police officers.

Thanks, Mike.
Appreciate 0