E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > ridiculous! Pulled over for having "blue lights"

03-29-2008, 03:47 PM   #23
Fubarsky
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
more respect for the police??! are you kidding me? these are the assholes who were bullies back in high school, and didn't have the grades and/or work ethic to go to a good university. what do you do w/ a crappy degree from a third tier school? you become a cop. and I'll give you that 1-5% of them may be decent, but that still leaves plenty o' assholes. my personal experiences w/ law enforcement may be not be good, however, because i'm brown. if i were white, i'm sure I'd be singing cops' praises...
Generally speaking I agree with you. There are a few good cops and law enforcement people out there, but a large percentage meet the power hungry profile way to easy and smack down anyone in their way. No flaming necessary as I have the highest respect for these guys, but I expect it (respect) in return.

There is no whining in your statement about color if some don't believe a brother in a nice ride in my neighborhood is more prone to a PC pullover they are wrong.

No thread hijack intended...EOM

Last edited by Fubarsky; 03-29-2008 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: Afterthought
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 04:12 PM   #24
siriusinvestor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1989 Ugo

Couple of years ago I got pulled over for my eisenmann exhaust, got a fix it ticket, but I just paid the $60 fine and then got over it. I know the cop was specifically being a dick head to me because when he pulled me over 2 seconds after he walks up to my driver side window, a riced out civic flew by us w/ the pepsi can exhaust and he doesn't even call for backup to stop him for his loud exhaust. Some cops are just haters.

I remember seeing video online of Jermaine Dupri, The hip-hop artists getting a ticket for his modified Lamborghini Murcielago exhaust. I just thought it was amusing that even in a $300,000 ride some cops just don't give a damn.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 04:39 PM   #25
gundamfans
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
modded cars generally are on cops radar more often, no doubt, I expected that cops would pull me over even though most of my mods are all BMW OEM stuff and very understated (no tinted windows, no eye-catching aero kits etc)

once I was driving my family's 997 C4S in Hong Kong, a cop road block appeared, cops pulled me over, just really to check out the 997 really...1 cop was just checking my driver's license and who owns the car (my mom), and the other cop just asking me how the car feels, and he even suggested me to go up to track days in mainland china...(Zhu Hai)...
2007 E90 335i|6MT|Sapphire Black Metallic|Black Leather|Aluminum Trim|ZSP|ZPP|CWP|Aluminum Pedals|M-Aero Kit|Blackline Tailights|E46 ZHP Knob|Euro Foglight Switch|M-Sport Perforated Leather steering wheel|M-Sport Perforated E-Brake|Front Carbon Fibre Splitter Kit|BMW Performance 19" Wheels|Meisterschaft Touring Exhaust Full Cat-Back System
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 04:44 PM   #26
3urger328i
White E92 328i White on Black
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i White on Black

Im the one who posted about getting my car towed by an ass hole cop. I got like 4200 hits. I wish i got off like that. Congrats on not getting screwed by a cop like i did.
      03-29-2008, 04:49 PM   #27
Fraposo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan/AW/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarsky View Post
I have several friends who are cops. All they want is PC (probable cause) to pull you over. Anything and I mean anything. They don't really want to give you a ticket. They want to look in your car, smell your breath, see the roach in the ashtray etc. etc. Or the big prize guns or large qtys. of dope. Not cool but the real world.
Crazy story. I have a friend who stopped at a stop light and was about a foot into the crosswalk (something we all do now and then). Unfortunately it was a little late and a cop was nearby and pulled him over JUST FOR GOING OVER THE CROSS WALK A FOOT!

To make a story short, my friend is a dumb ass, and had 10 extacy tabs and a small amount of the ganja on him. Cop searched him, found the stuff. Now, granted, although my friend was a dumb ass for having it on him, he's not a trouble maker, has never been arrested, no tickets. Pretty clean overall besides the occasional smoke-out and rave/e-tabs.

Anywho, he was arrested for 5 days, and was released on probation. He was VERY lucky, but one thing the cop that arrested him kept saying when he took him back to the department was "TONIGHT WAS A GREAT NIGHT!", referring to getting lucky on busting my friend on drug charges just cause he went over the crosswalk. Haha...i couldn't believe it when he told me what happened...haha.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 04:52 PM   #28
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

sucks bro, I actually heard a lot about this on the lexus forum I frequent.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 05:06 PM   #29
uabimmer
Україна
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: JB e90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2003 330i  [0.00]
Sucks to hear

reminds me of when a cop pulled me over for no front plates, but then just let me go after checking if i had been drinking or not

I also hate when they try to make small talk or whatever ...asking you who is in your car and stuff, how old they are .......USELeSS_TIMEwAsTING_CrAP :mad:

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 05:07 PM   #30
mmm def
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 330, 19 ND2 RF, 11 RX350

Or he wanted to see if u were drinking..what time was it?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 05:09 PM   #31
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
I have several friends who are cops. All they want is PC (probable cause) to pull you over. Anything and I mean anything. They don't really want to give you a ticket. They want to look in your car, smell your breath, see the roach in the ashtray etc. etc. Or the big prize guns or large qtys. of dope. Not cool but the real world.

Not entirely true. The police need some sort of actual infraction to pull you over. Once you've been pulled over the standard for searching you and your car is reasonable suspicion, not probable cause. Granted, they can pull you over for the smallest of infractions, such as improper signaling distance (this particular example varies by state, in IL it is at least 100ft before the intersection). The police can't pull you over for no reason at all, and any decent lawyer will get such a case dismissed. Any further evidence stemming from a unwarranted traffic stop is "fruit of the poison tree" and will be tossed along with the case. The exception usually being DUI checkpoints.

Andrew
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 05:13 PM   #32
DK_12
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Sorry your time is so precious that someone who regularly puts his life on the line can't bug you about a mod on your car. I agree it was petty but I think everyone here should have more respect for the police. You're all acting like spoiled brats.

Thanks, Mike.
Not to take anything away from the cops that do sincerely care about protecting and serving their community, but many become cops for different reasons (i.e. no college education, to feel above the law, pension/retirement, etc). So while you may believe all of them are putting their lives on the line for YOU, they're just doing their job, and in many cases abusing their power and being a d*ck, as with this case. I don't understand where you get coming off to believe we're acting like spoiled brats
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 06:27 PM   #33
silversurfer
TiAg, ZPP, ZSP, Nav, CA, 6FL, butt warmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Sorry your time is so precious that someone who regularly puts his life on the line can't bug you about a mod on your car. I agree it was petty but I think everyone here should have more respect for the police. You're all acting like spoiled brats.

Thanks, Mike.
How exactly is he putting his life on the line? Pulling cars over in Iraq?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 06:36 PM   #34
Boost Gomez
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Don't intend to ever get pulled over, so no eye-catching mods for me..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 07:01 PM   #35
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversurfer View Post

I'm not trying to be insulting, but yours is a rather specious and ignorant remark. Imagine pulling over strangers every day, walking up to cars and not knowing what to expect. It is statistically uncommon, but run of the mill traffic stops do turn violent every so often. Like them or not, police do risk certain things, including their lives. BTW, I am not a police officer, but I do have Marine Corps buddies that went into law enforcement, and most of them are pretty cool. That said, I've run into my share of less than honorable, and in some cases, downright nasty police officers.

Andrew
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 07:03 PM   #36
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversurfer View Post
Cops do more than traffic duty. Domestic disputes, robberies, chasing suspects, etc... Even a traffic stop can be dangerous.

Thanks, Mike.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 07:06 PM   #37
chrisE92
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

Quote:

Thanks, Mike.
a month ago i was mugged and all the nearby police in the area helped me get my stuff back within 10 minutes. since then i've had plenty of respect for them. just cause one treats you horribly doesn't mean theyre all bad

sorry, not intending to thread jack

OP, sucks to hear what happened, but at least you didn't get a ticket
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 07:08 PM   #38
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Traffic stop can turn ugly really quickly, if you ever watched TruTV, you'd know. I respect all the cops for doing their jobs unless someone is sleazy or just plain nasty. Most of the cops that I met through my training are pretty decent.

As others have suggested, often times, they are just looking for minor infarctions to pull you over in the hope of finding something bigger. This strategy does pay off from time to time.
      03-29-2008, 07:13 PM   #39
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by supadan View Post
Not to take anything away from the cops that do sincerely care about protecting and serving their community, but many become cops for different reasons (i.e. no college education, to feel above the law, pension/retirement, etc). So while you may believe all of them are putting their lives on the line for YOU, they're just doing their job, and in many cases abusing their power and being a d*ck, as with this case. I don't understand where you get coming off to believe we're acting like spoiled brats
It's the childish, over reactive remarks about police officers that prompt my comments. It seems posters here dislike cops because they feel entitled to do whatever they want behind the wheel and when they get pulled over they are angry. That seems pretty bratty to me. I'm sure there are plenty of cops who are jerks as there are plenty of people in other occupations with the same attitude. I've been pulled over many times in the numerous years since I started to drive and have never had a cop be a jerk to me. Some are stricter than others but they all performed their duties according to the laws they are sworn to enforce.

Thanks, Mike.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 07:14 PM   #40
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
haha, damn looks like I started a national bash a cop day , I'm not implying that the cop was an asshole or anything, just that it was dumb for pulling me over, and yes he did waste my time, because unlike him, I dont get paid for pulling people over and asking questions. Yeah there are some that are really cool and what not, for instance, he didn't give me a fix it ticket or whatever (even though it was have been pointless and yet again... stupid) btw, it was around 11pm, and I showed no signs of drunkness/ or being under the influence.. just trying to share what happened. IMHO, cops always seem to be there when you dont need them.

Thanks, Peter.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 07:18 PM   #41
Fubarsky
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmcguire View Post
Not entirely true. The police need some sort of actual infraction to pull you over. Once you've been pulled over the standard for searching you and your car is reasonable suspicion, not probable cause. Granted, they can pull you over for the smallest of infractions, such as improper signaling distance (this particular example varies by state, in IL it is at least 100ft before the intersection). The police can't pull you over for no reason at all, and any decent lawyer will get such a case dismissed. Any further evidence stemming from a unwarranted traffic stop is "fruit of the poison tree" and will be tossed along with the case. The exception usually being DUI checkpoints.

Andrew
When I mention PC I mean an infraction, any infraction, like going over the white line a foot. PC can be talking on a cell phone and talking to passengers in heavy traffic, or just touching the dividing lines, many times the PC is highly interpretive in nature but is constitutes all the PC they need. A license plate that is too dirty to read is PC, tailights, as is questionable window film. Bottom line is if they are intent on pulling you over they will probably figure out a way to accomplish it.
      03-29-2008, 07:22 PM   #42
snipersix
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Retired 2017 F87 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
In Vancouver, Canada. Your not allowed to have any blue or red lights on your car, whether they be LEDS or what. Because people might mistake you as a cop.
2017 M2 Coupe:|Black Sapphire Metallic|DCT|Nav/Idrive|M Performance CF Spoiler|M Performance CF DCT Interior| M Performance Gloss Black Kidney Grills| M Performance Steel Pedals | Eventuri CF CAI | 19" Brixton Rims | KW V3 Clubsport |
Retired: |2008 328i Sedan|Montego Blue|
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 07:26 PM   #43
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipersix View Post
In Vancouver, Canada. Your not allowed to have any blue or red lights on your car, whether they be LEDS or what. Because people might mistake you as a cop.
In the US, I think you're not allowed to have flashing blue / red lights on your car. Also you can't have any red in the front of your vehicle. Front turn signals can be amber or white, not red; rear turn signals can be red or amber, but not white.

Last edited by Kev; 03-29-2008 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 07:30 PM   #44
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
When I mention PC I mean an infraction, any infraction, like going over the white line a foot. PC can be talking on a cell phone and talking to passengers in heavy traffic, or just touching the dividing lines, many times the PC is highly interpretive in nature but is constitutes all the PC they need. A license plate that is too dirty to read is PC, tailights, as is questionable window film. Bottom line is if they are intent on pulling you over they will probably figure out a way to accomplish it.

Agreed, I think I slightly misinterpreted your post. Sorry about that.

Andrew
Appreciate 0