E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 1 series Engines

07-01-2007, 06:09 AM   #23
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

There are several reasons for BMW to limit its engine choices in US-model cars.

1. - Parts Logistics. The fewer engine types in the US lowers the cost of maintaning the parts needed to support repairs and maintenance. BMW keeps parts available for cars back to the 1960's in stock in the US; think just how many engine types that is...

2. - Each engine has to be EPA certified. Fewer engine types lowers the cost of certification for a particular model series.

3. - BMW traditionally doesn't import its economy cars to the US, just the high-end models. High-end US model BMWs have a good profit margin.

4. - NHTSA Crash Testing. The US Government chrash test laws require each body style (sedan, coupe, wagon) to be crash tested with each type of its engine/transmission/driveline (i.e. AWD) combonation. This why many American cars do not offer a manual transmission, because the cost of crash testing a manual transmission car based on the low volume of sales isn't worth the investment.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2007, 10:26 PM   #24
ik999
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 335i f32 435xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoney328xi View Post
When I heard the 1 series will have the same exact engines as the 3 series, but it is lighter I got pretty frusterated. How come I have to spend upwards of 40 grand on my 3 to get the performance and now BMW is putting that and more performance into the 1. If you ask me the 1 series should start out with a 4 cylinder and make the upgraded engine the 128i. Also, whats up with the 5 series having the same engines too? If I'm paying 50/60 grand for a car I would expect it to have more power than the car below it, and plus because its heavier. Thats why I bought an A6. To me, BMW seems like it wants to save money here but just throwing all the same engines into every car. So now my 3 series will be outperformed by a 1 series that payed $10,000 less. Shouldnt be.
Your views are wrong on so many levels.

First of all, even before you bought your 335i, there were cars which were both faster and cheaper. For example, you could have bought an e46 M3, or one of the SRT8s.

Secondly, just because a car is more expensive than another, it doesn't have to be faster. The 528i, which is more expensive, is not as fast as the 335i, but you don't hear 528i owners complaining.

Lastly, BMW is not the only company to use the same engine in different applications. It is a good way to maintain technical efficiency. To my knowledge, all the other large motor companies do so. It's not a matter of 'being cheap', but rather being 'smart'.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 08:09 AM   #25
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
When I heard the 1 series will have the same exact engines as the 3 series, but it is lighter I got pretty frusterated. How come I have to spend upwards of 40 grand on my 3 to get the performance and now BMW is putting that and more performance into the 1.
Then you aren't very smart. A BMW is not a car dedicated to performance. If you wanted to spend 40 grand on all out performance you should have gotten a stage whatever Evo or a used Lotus Elise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 09:50 AM   #26
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Both Audi and MB do exactly the same thing as BMW, I really don't get the OPs point, sorry. The 2.5 V6 in the C class is discontinued I thought.

And the B class does the same (is available in Canada and apparently will soon in the US as well)

The A3 and A4 have the same engine choices as the soon to be introduced 1 and 3 series. The 5 Series adds a V8, just like the A6, etc..

Now one big difference between BMW and Audi and MB is indeed the weight. Look at performance figures and they are about par for 3 series and 5 series (other than the V8), and that is simply because there is about 50kg difference between the series which is insignificant really. Not the case for the competition.

Essentially, BMW is offering you a choice of size in cars with the (essentially) same performance and then differentiate the pricing by the degree of equipment/tech offered.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 11:20 AM   #27
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Stick around and say something stupid--you'll see his "manners" in action. I think he just tells it like it is, whether that is snide or not, well....
+1

some people felt the same way when the 325/330 become the 328/335. i sure did... but i got over it... its time you did too.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 11:25 AM   #28
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethirtynine View Post
Did you really think your car has a V6?
lol had to just bump this one too.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 11:28 AM   #29
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 325e

Quote:
Audi: Engine Options
A3 2.0 TFSI, 3.2 FSI
A4 2.0 TFSI, 3.2 FSI
A6 3.2 FSI, 4.2 FSI
A8 4.2 FSI, W12

Benz: Engine Options
C Class 2.5 v6, 3.0 v6, 3.5 v6
E class 3.5 v6, 5.5 v8
S Class 5.5 v8, 5.5 v12

BMW: Engine Options
1 series 2.8 v6, 3.5t v6
3 series 2.8 v6, 3.5t v6
5 series 2.8 v6, 3.5t v6, 4.8 v8
6 series 4.8 v8
7 series 4.8 v8, 6.0 v12

ANYONE SEE WHAT I MEAN?

after reading this post i realized theres no reason to even respond.... but i did just to mock you yet again
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 02:43 PM   #30
tdc
always notorious
Rep
Drives: beater

Quote:
Audi: Engine Options
A3 2.0 TFSI, 3.2 FSI
A4 2.0 TFSI, 3.2 FSI
A6 3.2 FSI, 4.2 FSI
A8 4.2 FSI, W12

Benz: Engine Options
C Class 2.5 v6, 3.0 v6, 3.5 v6
E class 3.5 v6, 5.5 v8
S Class 5.5 v8, 5.5 v12

BMW: Engine Options
1 series 2.8 v6, 3.5t v6
3 series 2.8 v6, 3.5t v6
5 series 2.8 v6, 3.5t v6, 4.8 v8
6 series 4.8 v8
7 series 4.8 v8, 6.0 v12

ANYONE SEE WHAT I MEAN?

Both I6's in BMW's US arsenal are 3.0L. A 3.5L engine does not exist in BMW's stable, much less any V6's.
      07-03-2007, 02:55 PM   #31
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

every manufacturer does this. When the Scion cars first came out, I knew that they were going to put the 2.4 engine (4 cyl. camrys) into them in a few years. Not only that but the Rav4 and Corolla will get them too. So far I've been right on the money (Corolla will get it soon enough).

Nobody's gonna stick with the same engine forever. Soon or later even the bottom line cars will be upgraded. It's much easier and cheaper to produce the same engine and put them in different cars than to produce different engines for all the cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 07:57 PM   #32
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post

Both I6's in BMW's US arsenal are 3.0L. A 3.5L engine does not exist in BMW's stable, much less any V6's.
Sure BMW has a V6, with a V angle of zero..... I love critics who are not acquainted even remotedly with the technology.
      07-04-2007, 09:19 AM   #33
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

I love Tbone's humour

Note to file; the BMW 6 is in line, meaning all six cylinders are placed in eine straight line, not three and three side by side. As a result, there is no V angle possibility
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 09:30 AM   #34
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

I think he was trying to make fun of me, but I could care less, I'm too busy enjoying my V6 BMW yo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike fab View Post
what does that even mean?
      07-04-2007, 10:56 AM   #35
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista View Post
I love Tbone's humour

Note to file; the BMW 6 is in line, meaning all six cylinders are placed in eine straight line, not three and three side by side. As a result, there is no V angle possibility

Hey maybe BMW can start calling their engines, Narrow Angle V6s and steal a page from VW's VR6!
      07-04-2007, 11:55 AM   #36
NewhouseEnt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

Three Things

1. Size
2. Marketing
3. Future 3 and 5 Series Owners

If one really needs any sort of utility, even if you have a family of only 3, this car isn't going to cut it, you'll have to bump to a 3. So it's not an option for many.

Second, BMW has quite obviously gone to the War Room and decided to capitalize on their 335i and upcoming M3 and gut-shoot the competition. They want as much distance to the incessant Japanese that constantly get compared to them in the magazines, and they want to slit the throat of Audi and Mercedes new offerings.

People are going to get in their little Chevy Aeros on a balmy Saturday morning and head to Honda to get their dream car, a V6 Accord or decked out Civic Si. They are definitely going to see the billboard and hear the radio ads of this insane 1 Series that has ALL MAINTENCE paid, is a real To-God BMW, and smokes the doors off most cars $30k-$50k higher.... Jee Martha... lets get us a BMW for LESS of a payment than one the Honda salesman quoted us.

The Jap dealers have notoriously had shitty lease rates because they are arrogant. They sell every car they make, so why dole them out? BMW is a lease dream, and always has been. The payment on my 335i is the same as a high-end Accord. Where is any thinking involved?

Third, BMW has pulled out all stops and declared a self imposed Armageddon on all competitors. You see, in a few years these 1 Series owners, totally impressed ahppy and orgasmic, will soon be plunking down cash on a 3 or 5 Series. Same as the Harley Sportster is nothing but a marketing ploy to generate future Fat Boy owners.

Genius. MacArthur would be proud.

"Time to pimp der BeemerShnitzen yo' " Who wants a C Class or an Accord when you can have this little terror? Wait to Hartge and Dinan starts marketing their terrors, you’ll really see 1 Series sales jump. They’ll be sold out the first year anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 12:00 PM   #37
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewhouseEnt View Post
1. Size
2. Marketing
3. Future 3 and 5 Series Owners

If one really needs any sort of utility, even if you have a family of only 3, this car isn't going to cut it, you'll have to bump to a 3. So it's not an option for many.

Second, BMW has quite obviously gone to the War Room and decided to capitalize on their 335i and upcoming M3 and gut-shoot the competition. They want as much distance to the incessant Japanese that constantly get compared to them in the magazines, and they want to slit the throat of Audi and Mercedes new offerings.

People are going to get in their little Chevy Aeros on a balmy Saturday morning and head to Honda to get their dream car, a V6 Accord or decked out Civic Si. They are definitely going to see the billboard and hear the radio ads of this insane 1 Series that has ALL MAINTENCE paid, is a real To-God BMW, and smokes the doors off most cars $30k-$50k higher.... Jee Martha... lets get us a BMW for LESS of a payment than one the Honda salesman quoted us.

The Jap dealers have notoriously had shitty lease rates because they are arrogant. They sell every car they make, so why dole them out? BMW is a lease dream, and always has been. The payment on my 335i is the same as a high-end Accord. Where is any thinking involved?

Third, BMW has pulled out all stops and declared a self imposed Armageddon on all competitors. You see, in a few years these 1 Series owners, totally impressed ahppy and orgasmic, will soon be plunking down cash on a 3 or 5 Series. Same as the Harley Sportster is nothing but a marketing ploy to generate future Fat Boy owners.

Genius. MacArthur would be proud.

"Time to pimp der BeemerShnitzen yo' " Who wants a C Class or an Accord when you can have this little terror? Wait to Hartge and Dinan starts marketing their terrors, you’ll really see 1 Series sales jump. They’ll be sold out the first year anyway.

Nice write up.....

the other thing is BMW wants people into the BMW family.....start with a 1er, then move up to 3er, then to a 5er or 7er...... Never leave the family..... Something Mini could never do.

I never thought about how devastating the 135i will be on the rice rockets....great point....