E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > New key problem showing key with line through it

10-06-2023, 06:31 PM   #1
Suzy Rainbows
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2004 525i (E60)

New key problem showing key with line through it

Hi there - first post.

Bought my kiddo a 2004 525i and it only came with one key. The key wasn't locking and unlocking the doors so he went to YouTube and saw that is was probably a bad battery and how to replace it - I replaced the battery, soldered it back and glued the thing back together - still didn't lock and unlock (and I think it's supposed to pop the trunk as well).

Anyone know if this might be a fuse or maybe something else? I searched and read somewhere on this forum that it might be fuse #57 so I will check that out but if anyone has any other ideas they would be most appreciated.

Issue #2 - went to BMW to get a new key because we only had 1. $242! Anyway, we get the key home and he sticks it in the ignition and it doesn't start the car and the dash is showing a key with a line through it. He tries to get the key out and he's got to wiggle and jiggle this thing to get it out. I compare the 2 and the cut may be a TINY bit off (could that be an issue?). I email BMW guy who says it was cut to the VIN so maybe something was changed with the car lock cylinders including the ignition. (This key also does not lock or unlock the doors).

I'm trying to do research here but there isn't much on cars this old and am not sure where to start but this key with the line through it is really bothering me.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 07:18 PM   #2
M2siast
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Too late for meaningful suggestions since the car has already been purchased.
It’s a rabbit hole from here.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 07:58 PM   #3
Suzy Rainbows
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
Too late for meaningful suggestions since the car has already been purchased.
It’s a rabbit hole from here.
Perhaps you misread my post or I didn't word it properly? I was asking for suggestions on what the problem might be with the new key and why the old key that works doesn't lock/unlock on the key fob and it needs to be done manually.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 08:02 PM   #4
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

You can try to reprogram the old key. My Z4C does this when it sits for too long. The key fob can and will lose it's memory, most likely the issue if it still starts the car. Can't remember the procedure but it's easy. As for the new key, take it back, probably cut wrong which is their issue not yours. Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2023, 08:16 PM   #5
Suzy Rainbows
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
You can try to reprogram the old key. My Z4C does this when it sits for too long. The key fob can and will lose it's memory, most likely the issue if it still starts the car. Can't remember the procedure but it's easy. As for the new key, take it back, probably cut wrong which is their issue not yours. Good luck!
Thank you, I appreciate your thoughtful response - I will google how to reprogram the key.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 08:24 PM   #6
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...he-correct-way

I think this might be the right one.
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2023, 08:54 PM   #7
Suzy Rainbows
Registered