E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > I Want a 2011 STi Sedan

01-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #67
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
But it has Leather seats! And a moonroof!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #68
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
All 3 can be easily replaced ...However, the price tag for the change may differ quite drastically
Yeah lol I'll take the hit in contnuously flipping cars over the other options any day.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #69
Chrisrw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Really?? An STI. Are you an Asian post secondary student?

Before I got my 335 I took out both a 5dr STI and an Evo. 335 was 9/10. Evo got 8/10. And the STI followed up with a horrid 6/10 IMO.

The STI drives harsh. That's alll. There is no taking it easy in that car. You either feel like your driving balls to the walls or your parked. There is very little comfort in that car and that will get old. It also does not feel at home on any paved road. I took the STI on dirt roads and it was a blast, but it felt shaky and unsure on anything paved... At leased and EVo could handle city roads.

The STI is a childs car. Are you a child?

07 335i / Black on Red / Sport / Premium / 19'' Rims / Matte Black 18'' Winters / Vishnu / DCI / CF wrap / HID AE / OEM lip / H&R race / Titek / HKS
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #70
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

^finally a super negative comment to help me out

I've just always loved em. Didn't fall in love with the hatch so I didn't get one back in 08 where the 135 I have now was love at first sight.

But I saw the STi sedan last April at NYIAS and it was that same love at first sight. Haven't driven it yet but I've heard that subaru has addressed the suspension issues and that it's up at evo levels again

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #71
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

imo if you plan on modding/tracking, then go for it. If you plan on keeping it relatively stock, don't bother.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #72
Tronner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

I've had a 2002 WRX, a 2005 STi, and a 2008 STi. Subaru does make a very good and very reliable car. I loved all of them and would still be rocking my 2008 if I hadn't found the deal of a lifetime on my 335xi coupe.

Some comments on them. With a tune and exhaust they turn into a really strong and fun car. If I were doing it right now, I'd honestly opt for the regular WRX and do a stage 2 tune and exhaust which will easily make it quite a bit faster than a stock STi for WAY less money.

The hatch, which I didn't like the looks of at all at first, really grew on me and was incredibly convenient. I could get 3 people and their snowboards and all gear inside with no need for a rack. Have to haul something big? Throw down the rear seats and you've essentially got a wagon, without necessarily looking quite like a wagon.

I liked daily driving the 08 the best. The newer interiors were much nicer, quieter, etc (although not even close in comparison to the 335). The 2005 was the funnest to drive by a long shot. Even stock it had much better handling than the 08. The 08's push a lot and are not as raw or lively as the 2005, which was probably the best year for the STi in my opinion.

You can't go wrong with them, and with significant mods - turbo, injectors, fuel pump, FMIC, exhaust, boost controller, ECU tune they are a blast, but you're going to have to wait on that turbo haha.

2002:

2005: this one was heavily modded with nearly 400hp and a rocket on the highway - just got a bit loud and bumpy for my tastes

2008: lightly modded - 370 hp or so - great daily driver but still fast
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #73
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

I know about the WRX. I'm just honestly turned off by the 5-speed.

But you do need to shift the STi a lot more...I mean lol two shifts to 60?

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #74
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

You hit that 50k mile wall. The car suddenly feels very old and you just want something different. But seriously, it's not worth it. An EVO MR, probably.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #75
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

I really am turned off by the EVO X

I'd rock a IX in a second but there is just something far to juvenile about the current EVO. It's way way way over styled

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #76
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
I really am turned off by the EVO X

I'd rock a IX in a second but there is just something far to juvenile about the current EVO. It's way way way over styled
That is the only reason why i would want a nearly 40k Subaru or Mitsubishi. It makes you feel like you are 10 years old with the cartoonish way it goes about things. It feels like it is for people that just don't want to grow up.

I don't personally like the current STi, it is a bit slow off the line (slower than the WRX when i last looked at them although update might have changed it), has no DCT and the sedan is definitely an afterthought. It just looks like they grafted on the trunk due to people yearning for the sti's of old. It looks like a korean hatchback.

All IMO, of course.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #77
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
You hit that 50k mile wall. The car suddenly feels very old and you just want something different. But seriously, it's not worth it. An EVO MR, probably.
doesn't mr only come with dct? and gsr with 5speed?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #78
Tortfeasor 335xi
Corporate Hack
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi Coupe

Another former STI owner here. The only thing that would keep me from buying an STI was the reason I did not buy another STI, in 2007 Subaru had to meet new emissions requirements in the United States. From then on their engines have been quite fragile, especially when tuned. I owned an 04 STI and it was fantastic, until it got stolen from the parking lot of the train station.

But being on IWSTI back when they moved to the 07s and 08s, I saw a lot of threads with blown engines in them. So far I have not read anything that would lead me to believe that they have fixed the reliability issue. Of course, I then bought a car that turned out to have plenty of reliability issues itself, so who knows. At least the engine hasn't blown up though.
Really Much Earlier Car: 1988 Mazda 626 TURBO
Appreciate 0