proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

View Poll Results: Do you have drone WITH the valve mod?
YES, I have a DCT and have drone WITH the valve mod. 29 36.71%
YES, I have a 6MT and have drone WITH the valve mod. 4 5.06%
NO, I have a DCT and DO NOT have drone WITH the valve mod. 16 20.25%
NO, I have a 6MT and DO NOT have drone WITH the valve mod. 30 37.97%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

12-15-2014, 05:03 PM   #133
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 90 GTR, 21 Gladiator

Well, guys and gals...I went out to shoot some video for you with 3 Garmin Virbs. I came back with only 2 of the cameras. Fortunately I used one cam to locate where the 3rd cam fell off at. Unfortunately someone took it from the side of the road before I could get to it. The mount did not hold it on my rear bumper more than 100 yards from my driveway before it gave up. Pretty sad.

Last edited by Accel Junky; 12-15-2014 at 05:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #134
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accel Junky View Post
Well, guys and gals...I went out to shoot some video for you with 3 Garmin Virbs. I came back with only 2 of the cameras. Fortunately I used one cam to located where the 3 cam fell off at. Unfortunately someone took it from the side of the road before I could get to it. The mount did not hold it on my rear bumper more than 100 yards from my driveway before it gave up. Pretty sad.
Noooo that is a big bummer. I am always worried of this. Sorry to hear

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 06:34 PM   #135
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasdaq100 View Post
I have no explanation about the performance. I didn't feel it either, just my VBOX show some better results with the plugs connected. I have tried many many times to make sure and the result was always the same. I end up to let them plugged because I drive most of the time in sport so the differences are not that noticeable expect in 4th gear and up when the valves remains closed. I did 900 km on a highway with the valves opened and an Advil was necessary
Well that's not good. Not that I need 100% of the performance on the the street but I don't think I can live with a mod that impacts performance. It will bother me, but it does sound so much better. I wonder how all these aftermarket exhausts without valves, are going to impact the car?

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 10:19 PM   #136
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

Ok, ladies and gents...I have a new video cruising, accelerating casually, and cruising with music with the exhaust valve mod. I had a rear camera on the tail pipes but it fell off and when I got back to get it some jackass stole it.

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 06:50 AM   #137
nasdaq100
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DKG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
Well that's not good. Not that I need 100% of the performance on the the street but I don't think I can live with a mod that impacts performance. It will bother me, but it does sound so much better. I wonder how all these aftermarket exhausts without valves, are going to impact the car?
I had the same dilemma as you, that's why I have decided to plug them back and drive all the time in sport when I'm in the city. Its just that I have to handle with the cold start and when I'm cruising over the 4th gear, other than that it's same as being unplugged.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 07:19 AM   #138
Kief
Major General
Rep
Drives: '24 iX50; '23 i4 M50

Quote:
Unfortunately someone took it from the side of the road before I could get to it. The mount did not hold it on my rear bumper more than 100 yards from my driveway before it gave up. Pretty sad.
Clark Griswold...Hopefully you erased that steamy footage you and your wife took from your Euro Delivery j/k sorry about the camera, that sucks.

I saw your recent video, and maybe it's my crappy speakers, but I couldn't really hear it. Sounds very quite inside the cabin, which isn't the case in my car. I think I'm plugging mine back in as it is ridiculously loud at 3:30 in the morning and the drone with DCT is too much at times. I'll convince myself plugging them back in restores any power loss
'24-I20 iX 50; '23-G26 i4 M50; '22-G82 M4Cx*;20-G05 M50i*; '20-F82 M4CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F85 X5M*; '18-G01 X3M40i*; '18-F80 M3ZCP*; '17-F80 M3ZCP*; '15-F15 X5*; '15-F82 M4*; '12-E92 335is*; '11-E70 X5d; '11-E89 Z435is*;'09-E89 Z435i*; '08-E92 335i*; '06-E90 330i*; '05-E83 X3*; '04-E83 X3*; '03-E46 325Ci* *retired
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 08:29 AM   #139
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I had the same dilemma as you, that's why I have decided to plug them back and drive all the time in sport when I'm in the city. Its just that I have to handle with the cold start and when I'm cruising over the 4th gear, other than that it's same as being unplugged.
I don't notice any power drop whatsoever in my car, and also don't think that sport mode sounds the same at all with them plugged in.

under 3000 RPM the sound is completely different in any mode vs having them unplugged.

not to say this mod is for everyone, but it definitely doesn't sound the same as sport mode with them plugged in.

someone needs to strap the car to a dyno with them plugged in and unplugged and do a couple runs to put this to bed. I would say I would be VERY surprised if there was a power difference, it just doesn't make any sense at all. its too far downstream in the exhaust to matter, and less restriction that far downstream doesn't make any sense to me logically

THE ONLY thing that could make sense is if somehow the DME has a reaction to them being unplugged and pulls timing or power. But I do not notice this, and one would think there would be a CEL associated with this.
      12-16-2014, 08:58 AM   #140
nasdaq100
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
I don't notice any power drop whatsoever in my car, and also don't think that sport mode sounds the same at all with them plugged in.

under 3000 RPM the sound is completely different in any mode vs having them unplugged.

not to say this mod is for everyone, but it definitely doesn't sound the same as sport mode with them plugged in.

someone needs to strap the car to a dyno with them plugged in and unplugged and do a couple runs to put this to bed. I would say I would be VERY surprised if there was a power difference, it just doesn't make any sense at all. its too far downstream in the exhaust to matter, and less restriction that far downstream doesn't make any sense to me logically

THE ONLY thing that could make sense is if somehow the DME has a reaction to them being unplugged and pulls timing or power. But I do not notice this, and one would think there would be a CEL associated with this.
About the sound, why it should be different? in sport the valves are opened even under 3000 RPM. I have tried many situations in my parking and I could hear the "bip" which makes the valves opened at every start up. I have just noticed that the valves remains closed at throttle off, cruising, over 4 th gear and cold start. Sport Plus always opened.
For the performance I totally agree with you, I didn't feel any power loss, I just did many runs with my VBOX plugged and unplugged and plugged in was always faster with just few tenths. I really don't have any objective explanation for that.
I don't say anything bad about this mod, I have driven my car unplugged for 2 weeks and I really loved it, it's just that I would like to understand why I had 2 or 3 tenths differences when I have tested with my VBOX. The reason I remains the plugged in is because I do a lot of trips on highways and it gave me headache after 500 kms
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 09:05 AM   #141
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
About the sound, why it should be different? in sport the valves are opened even under 3000 RPM. I have tried many situations in my parking and I could hear the "bip" which makes the valves opened at every start up. I have just noticed that the valves remains closed at throttle off, cruising, over 4 th gear and cold start. Sport Plus always opened.
For the performance I totally agree with you, I didn't feel any power loss, I just did many runs with my VBOX plugged and unplugged and plugged in was always faster with just few tenths. I really don't have any objective explanation for that.
I don't say anything bad about this mod, I have driven my car unplugged for 2 weeks and I really loved it, it's just that I would like to understand why I had 2 or 3 tenths differences when I have tested with my VBOX. The reason I remains the plugged in is because I do a lot of trips on highways and it gave me headache after 500 kms
it appears that DCT does result in drone with this mod. 6mt does not appear to have this issue, likely due to gearing

the valves are definitely NOT open before 2500-3000 RPM in any mode with the plugs connected. you can easily tell this when driving around town with them plugged in and then unplugged.

the valves are always closed at start up, regardless of mode. there is some literature on this from BMW, I just don't happen to have it handy
      12-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #142
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kief View Post
Clark Griswold...Hopefully you erased that steamy footage you and your wife took from your Euro Delivery j/k sorry about the camera, that sucks.

I saw your recent video, and maybe it's my crappy speakers, but I couldn't really hear it. Sounds very quite inside the cabin, which isn't the case in my car. I think I'm plugging mine back in as it is ridiculously loud at 3:30 in the morning and the drone with DCT is too much at times. I'll convince myself plugging them back in restores any power loss
Seriously...that was the first thing I thought of: "Oh sh!t...what kind of incriminating evidence is on it???"

I noticed the video volume is a bit low. iMovie was turned up all the way and I checked my Garmin Virbs and there was no audio volume setting. Maybe these things just record the audio at lower levels. It's a good thing I included some reference points (like the music at 50%).

I'll have to research and see how I can fix that for future videos. Most of my other videos were taken with my iPhone.

Last edited by Accel Junky; 12-16-2014 at 09:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 09:09 AM   #143
mul1gan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
I used to drive the car in sport mode all the time just for the sound, now that sounds great on efficient mode I thought there was no need to use sport mode in city driving, just remember I have my start stop feature off at all times, coded by the dealer

whats the start/stop feature?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 09:10 AM   #144
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

Quote:
it appears that DCT does result in drone with this mod. 6mt does not appear to have this issue, likely due to gearing

the valves are definitely NOT open before 2500-3000 RPM in any mode with the plugs connected. you can easily tell this when driving around town with them plugged in and then unplugged.

the valves are always closed at start up, regardless of mode. there is some literature on this from BMW, I just don't happen to have it handy
Even lugging my 6MT at partial throttle it is so tame in the interior I couldn't imagine noticeable drone in the DCT but who knows...

Yes, there is a cold start video on the first page that shows my wife's M3 with valves closed at start and mine with valves open. To my knowledge the car starts up outside of you M buttons or throttle settings. I guess that is why in the past you always had to reflash for "sport always on".
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 09:12 AM   #145
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mul1gan View Post
whats the start/stop feature?
Above your engine start button is a small button that you use to enable or disable start/stop. It kills the engine at stoplights and such and then recranks it when you proceed to take off. Same as a hybrid car.

If you press the button and it lights up, that disables it and the car will remember that every time you start up. I don't use that feature. The wear on the engine and starter (I'm assuming) is not worth the marginal gas savings.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #146
nasdaq100
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep

Quote:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=979417

... At lower gears, the exhaust valves are always open, while when higher gears are selected under constant driving conditions, they are closed; however, if the load conditions change accordingly, they open up in a flash. There are also ranges in which we have chosen to close the valves, for instance at low engine speeds in high gears
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 09:43 AM   #147
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
Welcome to the club...LOL same story can't get to unplug those damn connectors:
I did mine last week, it is definitely not as easy as it looks. You had to take a small flathead screwdriver and push through the tab and pull. Pushing down sometimes doesn't do it. There is a little tap you can go inside and push down then pull them off. Then make sure to tape them all around and if you have zip ties, zip tie them to the plastic shield on driver's side and back to its original housing on the passenger side.

I have noticed a huge difference cold start, and in low rpm. My car sounds way better and now I have no use for a new exhaust as I would only get it for sound. I may get black tips at some point.

If you feel a change in performance or try to "feel a difference" you probably will feel a difference as you will expect it. I highly doubt there is any noticeable difference with the valves being open.

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #148
mul1gan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white

Quote:
Above your engine start button is a small button that you use to enable or disable start/stop. It kills the engine at stoplights and such and then recranks it when you proceed to take off. Same as a hybrid car.

If you press the button and it lights up, that disables it and the car will remember that every time you start up. I don't use that feature. The wear on the engine and starter (I'm assuming) is not worth the marginal gas savings.
cool thanks, so if its not activated and doesnt automatically turn on, would it matter to have it coded to have it permanently turned off?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #149
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mul1gan View Post
cool thanks, so if its not activated and doesnt automatically turn on, would it matter to have it coded to have it permanently turned off?
I don't think you need to code it out. Just press it once to disable it (disabled when lit) and the car will remember that setting every time you get in. I'm sure if you disconnect the battery or something like that it might switch back off.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 08:20 PM   #150
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
I don't think you need to code it out. Just press it once to disable it (disabled when lit) and the car will remember that setting every time you get in. I'm sure if you disconnect the battery or something like that it might switch back off.
Mine had to be coded, it was ON every time I start the car
      12-16-2014, 08:30 PM   #151
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=979417

... At lower gears, the exhaust valves are always open, while when higher gears are selected under constant driving conditions, they are closed; however, if the load conditions change accordingly, they open up in a flash. There are also ranges in which we have chosen to close the valves, for instance at low engine speeds in high gears
I had always thought this to be true BUT I can attest to this NOT being what I hear. Sport and Sport+ mode sound VERY noticeably different in lower RPM and lower gears than when the valves are disconnected. Give it a try yourself and see what you think. My car is noticeably deeper and louder as I pull away from a stop than it was in Sport mode. I wonder whether the valves are partially closed? All I know is the car sounds much deeper and louder than Sport mode.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 08:42 PM   #152
smedin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
I had always thought this to be true BUT I can attest to this NOT being what I hear. Sport and Sport+ mode sound VERY noticeably different in lower RPM and lower gears than when the valves are disconnected. Give it a try yourself and see what you think. My car is noticeably deeper and louder as I pull away from a stop than it was in Sport mode. I wonder whether the valves are partially closed? All I know is the car sounds much deeper and louder than Sport mode.
It seems that BMW never gives all the details when explaining their active systems.

Based on 3,000 miles of driving prior to pulling the plugs, I am certain that the valves are constantly tweaking based on some insane amount of research that is designed to eliminate every possible moment of drone, regardless of mode.

The car is undoubtedly louder at low RPMs most of the time with the plugs pulled.
      12-19-2014, 06:28 AM   #153
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

I plugged mine back in but quickly unplugged them again. The car sounds so much better opened up! I really don't want to spend thousands on an exhaust so this mod is the next best thing. I'm still concerned about possible power reductions but I've started doing some unscientific testing, and I haven't noticed it.

It is obvious as others have stated, that the valves are not open (at least all the way) in Sport and Sport + at low RPMs. The sound is much different with the valves unplugged.

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 07:03 AM   #154
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
I plugged mine back in but quickly unplugged them again. The car sounds so much better opened up! I really don't want to spend thousands on an exhaust so this mod is the next best thing. I'm still concerned about possible power reductions but I've started doing some unscientific testing, and I haven't noticed it.

It is obvious as others have stated, that the valves are not open (at least all the way) in Sport and Sport + at low RPMs. The sound is much different with the valves unplugged.
Definitely a good alternative to aftermarket exhaust as far as just poking around town and whatnot. Full throttle the car was already surprisingly "aftermarket sounding" from the factory. I would need a very compelling reason even at less than $1000 to change out my exhaust over this (and I love upgraded exhausts).

As far as downsides...I have driven my wife's M3 back to back with mine with the mod. Honestly I can't tell a difference in spooling and these things spool slow enough where I think I could feel a change. So I doubt the effect on back pressure during spooling is of any consequence. As far gas mileage...that I don't know. I would need to do some testing over many tanks of gas for my commute to figure that one out. It is probably so minimal it would be hard to detect.

I will get you guys a video soon of mod vs no mod as far as what it sounds like at low rpm, low load from outside the car driving off into the sunset. Just need to get my wife to shoot it with me and her car as well.
Appreciate 0