E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches > Watches

01-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #177
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
I like my tag Monaco, it's a fun watch to wear, just make sure you like it on you're wrist. A blue watch on the wrist is neat in the store, but requires a bit more confidence in the real world to wear.
Good point that I'll have to keep in mind. Of the new Monaco watches though, the one that stood out for me is the ACM Limited Edition with the black face.

Quote:
Don't get too into collecting if you can help it. Just think cars and depreciation, money you will not get back. But at least you can get some back in the end, and occasionally (very very rarely) make money on the watch.
Yet another good point that I need to keep in mind. The problem is, all the various watch threads have shown me some fantasic designs which inspired me to want to own a few. I'm certainly not planning on going nuts and buying a collection overnight. I think I'm going to start looking around at used inventories to see what is out there.
      01-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #178
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

One thing to consider when starting a collection, or just assessing what you want, is to try to establish a basic goal for what you want. I have a GMT, a chrono and a dress watch. Those cover most of my needs, but I keep finding myself wanting a power reserve watch.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #179
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I recently bought a Seiko Orange Monster, and the bracelet on it is pretty darn nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
Another thought for OP... do you think you could pull off an inexpensive yet technically interesting and seldom-seen watch? One of mine that I actually wear occasionally is a Vostok Amphibia, I think I paid something like $35 for it (really!) and it's just a really elegant piece of Soviet design and engineering, although it also has that Soviet-era kitsch thing going on as well. The bracelets are garbage, they make Seiko bracelets seem quality, but I think it looks great on a rubber "waffle" strap. Obviously NOT dressy! Might not be for you.

Along the same lines, I find the Strela "Sturmanskie" chronographs really attractive and are available for less than $1K.

My dress watch is a 50's era stainless steel Longines which I picked up off eBay in a watch buying frenzy a few years ago for under $100. Surprisingly it was in excellent condition and I wore it near daily for 3-4 years until the stem broke; sadly, it took three tries at repair after that until it ran reliably again. Not sure how a busted stem could cause that, or if it was a botched CLA that caused the subsequent problems.

Finally, a Seiko (yes really) 009 diver's watch or something is very affordable and quasi-vintage cool. I wore mine nearly daily for years until I managed to break it somehow. Seiko bracelets are almost as bad as Vostoks though, I settled on a green NATO strap for that one and it was a great casual look and I didn't have to care about the watch because watch and strap together were about $150 or so.

yes, I'm kind of a watch geek, but one on a budget, because honestly, if it tells you the time and you can read it, that's all you really "need" right? (that brings me back to the Marathons, the tritium tubes are awesome at night... the lume on a Vostok is abysmal!)
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #180
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
One thing to consider when starting a collection, or just assessing what you want, is to try to establish a basic goal for what you want. I have a GMT, a chrono and a dress watch. Those cover most of my needs, but I keep finding myself wanting a power reserve watch.
That is exaclty what I have been thinking about when I look over these threads. What I have narrowed it down to is a chrono, a divers, and a dress/vintage watch.
      01-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #181
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
I recently bought a Seiko Orange Monster, and the bracelet on it is pretty darn nice.
I get the impression that the Orange Monster is considered by Seiko to be a higher-end watch than is the 009... but at least for me personally I couldn't see myself wearing a OM, that's just not my personality, whereas the 009 has a nice classic look. Not that the OM isn't a great watch - I would never look down on anyone for wearing one, and I can definitely appreciate it for what it is.

Edit: I posted that and then never actually made the relevant point. I haven't actually handled one, but I would not be surprised if the OM's bracelet were actually higher quality than those found on the 007/009.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #182
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I have 2 watches, a steel Submariner, and my OM. I like the divers style, among others, and was debating on either the orange or black monster and ended up with the orange one.

It's nice, the bracelet is nice, but i wear my Sub way more. The OM is for when I'm working on things where I might scratch the watch (beater). I got tired of worrying about my Sub.

My likes are all over the place though, someday I hope to own a bunch of different styles.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #183
nsanbyker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6 speed

Litos, can I ask you a question? Where did you order your reserve from? I really like it, but I'm having a hard time finding your model?
      01-19-2013, 01:11 AM   #184
sathoro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

In my opinion, Parnis watches are where it is at if you are looking for something cheaper and of good quality

Disclaimer: I happen to own that site

Anyways here are some pictures:

'10 E90 335i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | M Sport | Premium | Cold Weather
Cobb AP Stage 1 | Alpina B3 TCU | DCI | CF Splitters | CF Performance Spoiler | CF Trim
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 01:29 AM   #185
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathoro View Post
In my opinion, Parnis watches are where it is at if you are looking for something cheaper and of good quality

Nice site, and definitely some nice looking watches.

Where do you recommend getting sea-gull movements serviced? Is in one people can service basically anywhere? I have a sea-gull in one of my old pieces.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 01:58 AM   #186
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathoro View Post

no offence, but they just look like replicas to me.. or "homage" since they have their own branding..
      01-19-2013, 02:02 AM   #187
sathoro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbmwuser View Post
no offence, but they just look like replicas to me.. or "homage" since they have their own branding..
They are homage watches, many don't have $6,000 to spend on an IWC

'10 E90 335i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | M Sport | Premium | Cold Weather
Cobb AP Stage 1 | Alpina B3 TCU | DCI | CF Splitters | CF Performance Spoiler | CF Trim
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #188
slowturbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Here's a picture of my JLC reverso grande taille

01-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #189
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowturbo View Post
Here's a picture of my JLC reverso grande taille

how does the gold hold up to scratches on these watches? I have 2 reversos in stainless and they have been pretty easy to keep scratch free, but I fear the gold.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #190
slowturbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

It isnt bad, but that is also in part because I do not wear it often. They can definitely scratch like anything else, but in my experience not as bad as titanium. Worst case, you can have the case polished up to have it looking good as new again.
      01-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #191
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well thanks guys, this thread got me thinking about watches again and I pulled the trigger on a vintage Omega...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #192
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowturbo View Post
It isnt bad, but that is also in part because I do not wear it often. They can definitely scratch like anything else, but in my experience not as bad as titanium. Worst case, you can have the case polished up to have it looking good as new again.
good to know, I've got 2 titaniums... The JLC titanum never seems to show a scratch, but that might be because the case is so complicated. But the Panerai my old man gave me shows every mark in the whole world on it. But on it, I think that's part of it's charm, it looks rough, because it's tough.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #193
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Well thanks guys, this thread got me thinking about watches again and I pulled the trigger on a vintage Omega...
which one? There's some very nice vintage Omega's out there.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 11:28 PM   #194
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

anyone know why james bond switched out of rolex?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 12:28 AM   #195
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Same reason bond spent time in lotus's bmw's and other such vehicles. Whoever offered the most money got the product placement.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #196
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
which one? There's some very nice vintage Omega's out there.
It was on the 'bay with a bit of a crack smokin' BIN - 50's gold Seamaster automatic with dauphine hands and a ***green face*** - my best offer was accepted almost immediately, and I've been looking without seriously looking for several years for a "serious" watch with a green face as that's pretty much my color - I have green eyes and for whatever reason whenever I wear a green dress shirt I get compliments from people. However there don't seem to have been that many watches made with green faces - pink/rose, yes, blue certainly, green - not so much?

I just hope I don't regret the purchase because I still paid a good amount for it (a little over $700,) and I'm a little worried about the gold filled case - I'm definitely more of a stainless kind of guy. I paid that much just because of the green ace though and that the watch is almost exactly the same style as an old Longines that I have that used to be my daily wearer - but I started to get nervous about getting caught in the rain etc. so maybe a Seamaster is the perfect step up?

If this thread is still going when I get it, I'll post up a couple pics.

As an aside, related to previous comment - where the hell do you buy dress shirts when you're 5'11" but don't weigh 300 lbs? I actually dragged my roommates' girlfriend shopping with me a couple weeks ago, ended up at Brooks Brothers which was the only place that had "slim fit" fitted shirts, only got four and paid too much for them, and my choices were apparently blue and white. I'm *this* close to starting to have my shirts custom tailored for lack of any other choices, but I really don't make the kind of money that allows one to do that...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #197
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

took a pic of my buddy's Michael Kors about 3 weeks ago.

this was even before i ordered mine lol.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #198
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It was on the 'bay with a bit of a crack smokin' BIN - 50's gold Seamaster automatic with dauphine hands and a ***green face*** - my best offer was accepted almost immediately, and I've been looking without seriously looking for several years for a "serious" watch with a green face as that's pretty much my color - I have green eyes and for whatever reason whenever I wear a green dress shirt I get compliments from people. However there don't seem to have been that many watches made with green faces - pink/rose, yes, blue certainly, green - not so much?

I just hope I don't regret the purchase because I still paid a good amount for it (a little over $700,) and I'm a little worried about the gold filled case - I'm definitely more of a stainless kind of guy. I paid that much just because of the green ace though and that the watch is almost exactly the same style as an old Longines that I have that used to be my daily wearer - but I started to get nervous about getting caught in the rain etc. so maybe a Seamaster is the perfect step up?

If this thread is still going when I get it, I'll post up a couple pics.

As an aside, related to previous comment - where the hell do you buy dress shirts when you're 5'11" but don't weigh 300 lbs? I actually dragged my roommates' girlfriend shopping with me a couple weeks ago, ended up at Brooks Brothers which was the only place that had "slim fit" fitted shirts, only got four and paid too much for them, and my choices were apparently blue and white. I'm *this* close to starting to have my shirts custom tailored for lack of any other choices, but I really don't make the kind of money that allows one to do that...
Rolex has a green crystal over one of their watches, but that's some bigger $$$. The vintage seas master should hold up well, just take it to get it properly serviced and the case properly revealed and it should stand up to the elements again. (Worth the money for the piece of mind in my opinion.)

I'm about 6'4 and about 200lbs with a 32-33" waist. Very wide shoulders. I take a XXL in slim fit or an XL regular fit. The regular fit still fits like crap around the middle, but it tailors well.

I have started having shirts tailor made for me. Well worth the money if you wear shirts often. My left cuff is even bigger then the right to accommodate wearing a watch. They throw a monogram in the neck for you for claiming at drycleaning and other simple touches. They fit perfect. Get into a place during a sale, and it is worth it. Full price is a bit tough to swallow. Also, some people require 2 different sleeve lengths, so this is also a good sales point.
Appreciate 0