E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Best Nike Running Shoe?

08-26-2008, 10:02 PM   #1
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Best Nike Running Shoe?

I am torn between a few shoes and need some advice.

My main concern is comfort/cushion then support. I don’t really care about the looks too much.

I weigh 155lbs but plan to drop down to 140lbs if that matters.

I am deciding between:
1. Air Pegasus +25
2. Air Zoom Vomero +3
3. Air Zoom Structure Triax +11

Other recommendations welcome I plan to do anywhere from 10-30 miles a week.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 10:03 PM   #2
The_Blob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

I think Adidas makes better running shoes.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 11:07 PM   #3
wrestleSBA
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i

This is coming from someone who used to be very very heavy into the running shoe market and still keeps up pretty well. I sold running shoes at a high end runners store for about 4 years and was one of the top guys in the nation. This is one thing I know very well.

In general there are very few Nike running shoes I would recommend, however you pulled two of them into your list. The Pegasus and Structure Triax are both good shoes from Nike. That said they are fundamentally different. The Pegasus has always been a straight cushioning shoe for a light weight runner (which you are) but the structure triax is typically built for a more mid to upper weight runner who wants some stability (motion control) in their shoe. The Triax is typically built for someone who over-pronates, or tends to roll their foot in at a faster rate through their natural stride and pushes off on the inside of their foot.

If running is something you plan to do with some consistency I heavily suggest you get yourself into a runner's shop and bring in an old pair of running shoes if you have any (if you don't then take in a pair of shoes you were around a lot). They should be able to look at both the wear pattern on the bottom of your shoe as well as your natural gate in the store to determine if you need any added support (motion control) in your shoe. That would help determine if a shoe like the Triax (built for stability / over-pronation, motion control) or the Pegasus (built more for cushion and someone with a neutral stride).

I am not sure why you are only looking at Nike but I always tell people to look at a few different brands. Not sure what you tend to like about Nike but most people it is usually the softness and the weight. I will warn you now that softness doesn't equal shock absorption (which is what you actually need running) but the shoe should feel comfortable, many (especially a lot of Nike) are too soft to do any real good. If it is light weight and softness you like in the Nike I would highly suggest you also try on something from Brooks and Mizuno, maybe an Asics as well. A New Balance or Saucony (the other major running shoe brands) will probably be a little firmer and heavier than you would like.

I personally run in mostly Mizuno but do have a few pairs of Brooks and Asics that I use. I don't like to run in New Balance but love them for everyday wear. Saucony have never fit my foot right but work great for some people.

With the mileage you are looking at you want to get a decent mid-upper level shoe. Assuming no sale prices (which you can typically find looking for the previous year's models) plan to spend in the 74.99-89.99 range. Those will more than meet your needs. However, if you want to take care of yourself and feel a little pampered the upper-ends are in the 99.99-134.99 range. A lot of the upper end shoes will actually be built for people a little heavier than you but there are a few that are made for someone smaller. In general you will be gravy in the 74.99 to 89.99 range.

I just realized that was a wall of text but it should really help you. Can't tell you what is better for you without the ability to determine a little more about your natural stride. If you need suggestions on things from the other brands let me know and I can try and outline. But seriously find a reputable store and get in there and listen to what they have to say. Your drive a BMW so I trust you to be intelligent enough to know whether you are talking to someone who is throwing bullshit or knows what they are doing.
      08-26-2008, 11:10 PM   #4
Rick
Stackin' Chips
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blob View Post
I think Adidas makes better running shoes.
+100000000

Adidas running shoes FTW!

Adidas Supernova Cushion is excellent for running, your feet will thank you!
      08-26-2008, 11:40 PM   #5
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestleSBA View Post
This is coming from someone who used to be very very heavy into the running shoe market and still keeps up pretty well. I sold running shoes at a high end runners store for about 4 years and was one of the top guys in the nation. This is one thing I know very well.

In general there are very few Nike running shoes I would recommend, however you pulled two of them into your list. The Pegasus and Structure Triax are both good shoes from Nike. That said they are fundamentally different. The Pegasus has always been a straight cushioning shoe for a light weight runner (which you are) but the structure triax is typically built for a more mid to upper weight runner who wants some stability (motion control) in their shoe. The Triax is typically built for someone who over-pronates, or tends to roll their foot in at a faster rate through their natural stride and pushes off on the inside of their foot.

If running is something you plan to do with some consistency I heavily suggest you get yourself into a runner's shop and bring in an old pair of running shoes if you have any (if you don't then take in a pair of shoes you were around a lot). They should be able to look at both the wear pattern on the bottom of your shoe as well as your natural gate in the store to determine if you need any added support (motion control) in your shoe. That would help determine if a shoe like the Triax (built for stability / over-pronation, motion control) or the Pegasus (built more for cushion and someone with a neutral stride).

I am not sure why you are only looking at Nike but I always tell people to look at a few different brands. Not sure what you tend to like about Nike but most people it is usually the softness and the weight. I will warn you now that softness doesn't equal shock absorption (which is what you actually need running) but the shoe should feel comfortable, many (especially a lot of Nike) are too soft to do any real good. If it is light weight and softness you like in the Nike I would highly suggest you also try on something from Brooks and Mizuno, maybe an Asics as well. A New Balance or Saucony (the other major running shoe brands) will probably be a little firmer and heavier than you would like.

I personally run in mostly Mizuno but do have a few pairs of Brooks and Asics that I use. I don't like to run in New Balance but love them for everyday wear. Saucony have never fit my foot right but work great for some people.

With the mileage you are looking at you want to get a decent mid-upper level shoe. Assuming no sale prices (which you can typically find looking for the previous year's models) plan to spend in the 74.99-89.99 range. Those will more than meet your needs. However, if you want to take care of yourself and feel a little pampered the upper-ends are in the 99.99-134.99 range. A lot of the upper end shoes will actually be built for people a little heavier than you but there are a few that are made for someone smaller. In general you will be gravy in the 74.99 to 89.99 range.

I just realized that was a wall of text but it should really help you. Can't tell you what is better for you without the ability to determine a little more about your natural stride. If you need suggestions on things from the other brands let me know and I can try and outline. But seriously find a reputable store and get in there and listen to what they have to say. Your drive a BMW so I trust you to be intelligent enough to know whether you are talking to someone who is throwing bullshit or knows what they are doing.
Ahh I just ordered the Vomero 3 about ten minutes before you posted.... O well I ordered them from Zappos so free return shipping. Any reason why you don't recommend that model? I tried to do about an hour of research online and I found very favorable reviews. Do you think it would be worthwhile that I exchange them for the Pegasus 25+? I have primarily worn Nike shoes since I can remember and have not had any problems so I figured I would stick with the brand?

I highly appreciate you taking your time to write your reply, it has a lot of useful insight. I really do need to get into a specialty store however I am in a small town in the mountains of Colorado till October. When I get back to Florida I will try to go to a shop and get something more tailed for my actual foot. I read a lot of people recommend having two pairs and switching off to save wear?

I thought about it more and I realistically want to start off running 2-6 miles 3-4 times per week then eventually up it to 5-10 4-5 times per week. December 7th I am doing the 1/2 Marathon of the Palm Beaches.

I understand you are very well qualified so perhaps if you have any extra time you could send me a few links (reviews/purchase) to some shoes you recommend.

My body type is 5'4" currently 155lbs but going to trim down to 140lbs. Muscular body style.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 12:05 AM   #6
PBmadness
Rep
Drives: Red Wagon

I was also looking for running shoes a few weeks ago. This helped me get started:

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/whic...-0-0-0,00.html

I ended up buying these:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/33892425/c/122141.html
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 01:32 AM   #7
fobunited
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2011 550i

Wow, I have a hard time buying shoes online, especially running shoes since how they feel and fit is so important and can't be judged online.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 11:04 AM   #8
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

If you want the best running shoe period, go with the Asics Gel Keyano 14. Hands down the most comfortable running shoe I've ever worn.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 11:32 AM   #9
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

I think Saucony makes a good running shoe.
      08-27-2008, 11:58 AM   #10
wrestleSBA
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2the3 View Post
Ahh I just ordered the Vomero 3 about ten minutes before you posted.... O well I ordered them from Zappos so free return shipping. Any reason why you don't recommend that model? I tried to do about an hour of research online and I found very favorable reviews. Do you think it would be worthwhile that I exchange them for the Pegasus 25+? I have primarily worn Nike shoes since I can remember and have not had any problems so I figured I would stick with the brand?

I highly appreciate you taking your time to write your reply, it has a lot of useful insight. I really do need to get into a specialty store however I am in a small town in the mountains of Colorado till October. When I get back to Florida I will try to go to a shop and get something more tailed for my actual foot. I read a lot of people recommend having two pairs and switching off to save wear?

I thought about it more and I realistically want to start off running 2-6 miles 3-4 times per week then eventually up it to 5-10 4-5 times per week. December 7th I am doing the 1/2 Marathon of the Palm Beaches.

I understand you are very well qualified so perhaps if you have any extra time you could send me a few links (reviews/purchase) to some shoes you recommend.

My body type is 5'4" currently 155lbs but going to trim down to 140lbs. Muscular body style.
The only reason I did not mention much about that particular shoe is because it is a new shoe in the Nike running series and I didn't know anything about it. The fact that it is new makes me fairly sceptical because the better Nike runnning shoes have always come from the Triax, Pegasus, and a couple other line families.

Being loyal to a brand is fine but I always suggest trying another just to see the difference. I never intend to bash Nike as they do make some good shoes but in general they are more fashion focused than the other brands who are pretty dedicated to their running line (it is where a huge source of their profit comes, not so for Nike).

As I mentioned below poke around on RunnersWorld a bit. Their word is not the authroity but they can definitely head you in the right direction. Reading reviews on the site you purchase from isn't as good as from somewhere that is solely dedicated to running and comparing all of the shoes.

It is nice to be able to rotate shoes day to day but it is not a necessity. Any running shoe is going to begin to breakdown on average between 500 and 600 miles. That just means if you are rotating shoes the two last you for a longer time but you will get the same milage out of both.

Also, I could not recommend any more strongly to make sure you buy some decent running socks and to preferably replace the cheap insole in whatever shoe you buy with a replacement performance insole (usually $10-$20). When you lose that "new shoe feeling" is the original, very thin insole breaking down in the first few weeks. I good replacement insole with come close to double the shock absorption of the shoe, make it feel more comfortable, and should last you through about 2 pairs of shoes (1000-1200 miles) on average (so you shouldn't have to buy a new one with each pair even though some like me will).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBmadness View Post
I was also looking for running shoes a few weeks ago. This helped me get started:

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/whic...-0-0-0,00.html

I ended up buying these:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/33892425/c/122141.html
Nice selection on the Gel Kayano. That is one of the Asics shoes that I consistently recommend for people. Just an all-around great shoe! I have a pair that I run in occassionally and it is what my girlfriend now swears by.'

RunnersWorld is a good place to start and get general ideas of shoes you might be itnerested in. However, don't settle in on their Editor's Choices, generally they are good shoes but some are overrated and I think while they try to be as fair as possible I don't think they can give some brands the ratings they deserve sometimes because they need to keep everyoen involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobunited View Post
Wow, I have a hard time buying shoes online, especially running shoes since how they feel and fit is so important and can't be judged online.
This is absolutely true. I have ordered shoes online several times but almost always have tried them on in a store previously. The only exceptions to this have been shoes that the manufacturers tend to never really change (ex. the Asics Gel Kayano posted earlier) but even then I have had to return to change sizes every now and then.
      08-27-2008, 12:00 PM   #11
wrestleSBA
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
If you want the best running shoe period, go with the Asics Gel Keyano 14. Hands down the most comfortable running shoe I've ever worn.
The best shoe will be what is tailored to the individuals foot and needs best. Their is no best shoe. However the Gel Kayano is a fantastic shoe and always near the top of the list for the person it is built for. One of my personal favs. Always has been good and likely always will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
Saucony does make a very good shoe. However, most of their shoes are cut for a particular foot shape (last) that doesn't work for everyone. Their cusionhing system (Grid) is also sometimes a little to stiff for some people.
      08-27-2008, 12:14 PM   #12
rlb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i, 300ZX

Listen to wrestleSBA. You need to know what type of foot you have and get the appropriate shoe for that type. No shoe is good for every foot type. If you can't get to a good running shoe store to be evaluated then use the Runners World guide. Dip your foot in water and step flat on a piece of paper. This will give you a basic idea of what type of foot you have. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 12:16 PM   #13
561design
z4um Hooligan
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
This is the brand to go for. They are the best when it comes to comfort and cushioning. I find that the Nike brand is very overrated and played out. Other brands worth checking out are New Balance and Asics.
      08-27-2008, 12:45 PM   #14
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestleSBA View Post
The best shoe will be what is tailored to the individuals foot and needs best. Their is no best shoe. However the Gel Kayano is a fantastic shoe and always near the top of the list for the person it is built for. One of my personal favs. Always has been good and likely always will be.
Agreed. I'm biased, I've been wearing the Keyano for a while. I won't run in anything else.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 01:23 PM   #15
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

I do agree with some posters that say running isn't Nike's forte. My step dad loves Saucony shoes, he runs 10-15 miles a day and finished 10 L.A. Marathons.

The only thing that Nike has on lock is the basketball category.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 01:52 PM   #16
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

'95 Air Max. Cause they look dope.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 04:19 PM   #17
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suareezay View Post
'95 Air Max. Cause they look dope.
Probably the best looking running shoes ever. Especially the neon green colorway. As far as comfort and support goes for running, lol..not much.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 07:32 PM   #18
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I went into the running store today. They said I have some over pronation. I ended up going with the addidas supernova sequence. I tried on a 9 and needed a 9.5 so they ordered the shoe for me. They felt light and supportive, whats your opinion on those?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 08:01 PM   #19
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Nike Free 5.0

Totally different from anything I've ever worn. If you haven't, try them. It's like you're barefoot but it doesn't hurt.
      10-18-2008, 08:27 AM   #20
cyraschris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan Montego Blue 335i E92

Garage List
new2the3, where in florida are you? i recently got into running and went through the process much as you did, and luckily had a running shop recommended to me. I also am a seasoned nike shoe wearer and naturally leaned towards nike running shoes, but after goin to the store, having my gait recorded and analyzed, I ended up getting a shoe that was for me, not just based on style and brand love lol. enjoy, and take care of your feet!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2008, 08:58 AM   #21
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyraschris View Post
new2the3, where in florida are you? i recently got into running and went through the process much as you did, and luckily had a running shop recommended to me. I also am a seasoned nike shoe wearer and naturally leaned towards nike running shoes, but after goin to the store, having my gait recorded and analyzed, I ended up getting a shoe that was for me, not just based on style and brand love lol. enjoy, and take care of your feet!
I am in boca raton, just did 8.4 miles this morning.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2008, 11:17 AM   #22
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2the3 View Post
I am in boca raton, just did 8.4 miles this morning.
How many times did you walk or stop?