E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > ingrown toenail

09-26-2008, 02:56 PM   #23
rlb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i, 300ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
I had ingrown toenails on both my big toes accompanied by fungal infection. The podiatrist first tried trimming the edges back to the quick but this failed. I was given the option of trying it again with a less than 50% expected success or removal of the complete nail with chemical destruction of the nail bed. I took the latter option and without a nail on the toe I can never have another ingrown toenail there. It's been done on both feet and I'd consider having it done to the rest of my toes as well. The worst part was when drops of water hit the toe in the shower until the nailbed healed completely (about six months).
If you had ingrown nails you could just do the permanent procedure to remove just the sides of the nail as opposed to the entire nail. There really are very few reasons to remove the entire nail permanently. As for the fungus in your nails, so far the most effective treatment is Lamisil tablets. They have a 70-75% success rate and a second course brings the rate up to 80-85%. While it is true that we do not need our toenails, I would only remove the entire nail if there was pain and the oral anti-fungals did not work.
Appreciate 0