E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Need a new Business Venture...any ideas?

07-12-2006, 12:58 PM   #1
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

Need a new Business Venture...any ideas?

I currently have an IT Consulting Business and I am doing quite well. It's not the most entertaining thing in the world but my bottom line has been great.

In October I am getting married and after my wedding my focus will be on getting something off the ground. I want to continue with my Consulting work, and invest and be a partner in something else as well...preferably something that...

a) Interests me
b) Can turn a profit and have a low cash burn
C) Has potential to become viable for the long term.

Problem is...I need an idea. I thought this board(full of people who have made great automotive decisions, have similar taste, and most likely are successful already) would be a good place to have a positive discussion of business ideas. Hey...maybe I’ll even find a partner.

Anybody want to fire the first shot???
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2006, 01:34 PM   #2
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBob
Gambling and prostitution are old time favorites.
Very helpful.

Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2006, 01:41 PM   #3
MG_2006325i_KG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Alpine White

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I am thinking about opening a car wash/restaurant....get you car washed and have a burger/wings on your lunch break
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2006, 01:51 PM   #4
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Like a Hooter with a car wash....Need a good location...

"Wings and Wash"

Not bad...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2006, 02:02 PM   #5
KennyVendetta
Salsero
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 Crimson Red

Kilogram of white = $20,000 - $30,000. We will use $25,000 for our example.

If you sell each gram individually you can charge $100 per gram. Sell all of this way you will gross $100,000. That is a net profit of $75,000. Of course you want to subtract your expenses out of that...employees, security, legal fees etc...

It would do you best get some partners that have experience and potential clients.

If you want to miminize your risk then you can take the silent partner route and purchase your inventory wholesale. Put your product out on consignment and make sure you get paid first.

If you want to make even more money then you can create rock cocaine.

Crack is much nastier and riskier. The customer is a lot less educated and unpredictable. You will need to build a strong and loyal network or employees in order to seperate yourself from the inherent danger of directly engaging in illegal activities.

Anyway, rock cocaine will yield 5 times more profit for 1000 times more danger.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2006, 02:04 PM   #6
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG_2006325i_KG
I am thinking about opening a car wash/restaurant....get you car washed and have a burger/wings on your lunch break
That's a pretty novel idea... I'd go if there is such a place around here...

Throw in pretty and hot attendants and I'll go every other day

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2006, 02:07 PM   #7
thd13
Major
Rep
Drives: A07 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Custom Aquarium building and maintenence. Many businesses and wealthy persons are purchasing exotic aquariums for their homes and offices and what-not. More money will be involved in maintaining these aquariums for them.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2006, 02:09 PM   #8
myfirstbimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i

Kenny,

you gotta be kidding me, right?

35% Formula 1 Ceramic Tints, //M E-Brake handle, //M Steering Wheel
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2006, 02:25 PM   #9
MG_2006325i_KG
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2DC
That's a pretty novel idea... I'd go if there is such a place around here...

Throw in pretty and hot attendants and I'll go every other day
i'm looking to open one up in Tampa I get there next month so I will 4-6 months of research and another 6 months for loans and permits and another 4-6 of building....so about 20 months or so and Wings and Wash shall open....Gluck thanks for the name!!! 20% discount for all e90post.com members
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2006, 02:33 PM   #10
KennyVendetta
Salsero
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 Crimson Red

In any business you will need a Cost/Benefit analysis. If the risk (prison, violence, etc..) outweighs your percieved benefit then you should not take it.

High risk activities can net high profits. It's just like the stock market. Lower risk equals lower return.

Make no mistake, every business exists to make money.

How much money do you need in your life? Once you answer that question you can determine how much risk you can accept.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2006, 02:39 PM   #11
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Quote:
i'm looking to open one up in Tampa I get there next month so I will 4-6 months of research and another 6 months for loans and permits and another 4-6 of building....so about 20 months or so and Wings and Wash shall open....Gluck thanks for the name!!! 20% discount for all e90post.com members
Good luck with your venture . I am not 100% with wings as the main focus on the menu, they can get rather messy and would not be a popular choice with working folks out on lunch break. I would add a selection of hot and cold sandwiches, salads, wraps and some deep fried morsels to go with them (fries, onion rings, chicken tenders etc.). Also provide ample parking for finished cars, more often you'd find the cars will be ready far before your customers have finished their lunches...

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2006, 05:27 PM   #12
tl_boy
Major
Rep
Drives: tl

i think the wash and restaurant is a bad idea personally. The way to make money imho is to be very, very good at any one thing, even if that is a janitorial company. These fusion things never really struck me as being strong long term business models. Either be an excellent car wash, no matter how much you charge, there is always clientele that will pay, or, probably the more competitive of the two, be an excellent restaurant. But I don't think you'll be taken seriously for either one if you mix the two. Just my .02.

As far as other ideas, since you intend to be an IT consultant, I think it may be prudent to get into another unrelated industry, so incase the tech industry falls, you have spread your risk to another industry. Since you won't want to spend all the time learning the business concepts and operational procedures, I think your best bet may be to look into a successful (or up and coming, positive outlook) franchise. I know several people that have been able to manage their day job and have a small franchise on the side netting them anywhere from 80k per year to 200k. I know a guy, 35, who, about 8 years ago was living in Colorado, he took a copy of a magazine that lists all the franchises, and studied from the hundreds of options from food places like subway to marble slabs massage parlors, tax services, etc. And he decided on Jackson Hewitt. He never had a solid academic background, but he chose this, moved to Houston, and today he owns I believe 12 Jackson Hewitt centers (believe it or not, the ghetto areas are best (and low rental values to boot) because blue collar people don't have their own CPA's, and don't need it, and they do a lot of cash business, particularly Hispanics). Long story short, he works 4 months of the year and nets over $500k per year. I know another guy who has 40 subways restaurants in Houston (started with one, and now macro manages and has regional managers, etc.) He doesn't go to work, he has a ton of free time and he just built a $4 milllion dollar mansion. Very rich guy....
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2006, 02:19 AM   #13
MG_2006325i_KG
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Here is another idea that I have not seen but with all you guys here and your mods I am sure that alot of people on this site DIY, so what about this....It comes from a privliage us guys in uniform have which is a Auto Hobby Shop, it is about a 4-6 lift garage with all the tools needed to get whatever job you need done, which is the ultimate DIY shop. A few "pros" on duty to assist you on whatever project your working on from oil changes to blackline installs. Top of the line tools avalible and your only fees would be hourly lift/garage fees and any assistance. So you drive in do what you need to do and drive out, no clean up no nagging wife complaining about the noise and hours that fit the working mans day, maybe stay open till 11 or so. What do you guys think about that?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2006, 08:23 AM   #14
wish1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus sc400

My company represents exciting new franchise concepts in growth categories such as food service, home care, health and beauty, and automotive as well as many others.

The franchisors we represent are fast track growth companies awarding territory development contracts to key individuals in select markets. These are executive level appointments and the candidates who qualify and are selected to control these territories will be in a position to develop significant annuity incomes. These are referred to as master franchise contracts.

Income is derived by earning a percentage of the franchise fees and royalties paid by all the single and multi-unit franchises that open and operate within the defined territory.

There is an investment of between $100K to $300K required, depending upon the franchise and territory you select. There are also other liquid-capital, net worth and business experience requirements that must be met in order to qualify. Once again these vary depending upon the company.

If this sounds like something you think you might be interested in, and you qualify based on the requirements I’ve just described, PM me for more details.
      07-15-2006, 10:15 PM   #15
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBob
Yeah, and be sure that they get their T-Shirts good and wet while they wash the cars
(Photo lifted from another thread)
Looks familiar!
      07-15-2006, 10:26 PM   #16
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluck75
I currently have an IT Consulting Business and I am doing quite well. It's not the most entertaining thing in the world but my bottom line has been great.

In October I am getting married and after my wedding my focus will be on getting something off the ground. I want to continue with my Consulting work, and invest and be a partner in something else as well...preferably something that...

a) Interests me
b) Can turn a profit and have a low cash burn
C) Has potential to become viable for the long term.

Problem is...I need an idea. I thought this board(full of people who have made great automotive decisions, have similar taste, and most likely are successful already) would be a good place to have a positive discussion of business ideas. Hey...maybe I’ll even find a partner.

Anybody want to fire the first shot???
Invest in property in Hawaii. Hawaii is still strong in real estate and not slowing down. With the average median price for a home around $630,000 the potential is there for the taking. Plans are to build 15,000 more homes in the next 10 years. The average family is unable to buy and therefore rent. North shore continues to increase in value. Flipping would be a profitable thing here since many cannot build a house unless they win the lottery to build. They actually have to place a bid and see if their number is drawn and then they can build. The process is long forcing many to rent or buy used. Many investors are buying property and renting for long-term profits. Condos are also a good choice. Any food chain would do well here since everyone loves to eat out. I would love to open another Hooters here since there is only one. Applebees would also be a good choice since there are none. The potential for profits are great and the boom has continued for over 9 years with the best returns anywhere in the states. Think about it.
      07-15-2006, 10:30 PM   #17
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Here is another idea that I have not seen but with all you guys here and your mods I am sure that alot of people on this site DIY, so what about this....It comes from a privliage us guys in uniform have which is a Auto Hobby Shop, it is about a 4-6 lift garage with all the tools needed to get whatever job you need done, which is the ultimate DIY shop. A few "pros" on duty to assist you on whatever project your working on from oil changes to blackline installs. Top of the line tools avalible and your only fees would be hourly lift/garage fees and any assistance. So you drive in do what you need to do and drive out, no clean up no nagging wife complaining about the noise and hours that fit the working mans day, maybe stay open till 11 or so. What do you guys think about that?
By the time you pay for rented space or note and the pros standing by, all of your profits are eatin up. I know what you mean but cannot see a great deal of profit margin. Good thought though.