E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > My 2 cents (about the closed Camry vs 3 thread)

06-28-2006, 11:42 AM   #1
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke

My 2 cents (about the closed Camry vs 3 thread)

This is my IMHO, I think that thread revealed more about the mentality of this forum and some of the members. That "mighter then thou" elitist attitude is starting to surface real fast. No doubt the original poster's friend is an idiot just base on his comment and attitude, however I still don't think we need to bash Camry just because of one idiot. Camry SE is somewhat sportier then what it used to be and it's a great car..by no mean is it a sports car, but the engine is solid and the price is right. You can't really compare it to the 3s, is like comparing apple to orange, but at the end you throw out the conclusion that orange sucks because you can't eat it without peeling off the skin..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2006, 11:46 AM   #2
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Where's Shim?

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2006, 12:06 PM   #3
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
ScBlacksunshine, i like your avatar.
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2006, 03:07 PM   #4
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScBlacksunshine
This is my IMHO, I think that thread revealed more about the mentality of this forum and some of the members. That "mighter then thou" elitist attitude is starting to surface real fast. No doubt the original poster's friend is an idiot just base on his comment and attitude, however I still don't think we need to bash Camry just because of one idiot. Camry SE is somewhat sportier then what it used to be and it's a great car..by no mean is it a sports car, but the engine is solid and the price is right. You can't really compare it to the 3s, is like comparing apple to orange, but at the end you throw out the conclusion that orange sucks because you can't eat it without peeling off the skin..
But you are singling our forum out. THat is the mentality on EVERY car forum. Any one who purchases a particular model and participates on it's forum has some pride in his car. I bet if you visited the Camry forum (if there is one) you would find a bunch of people raving about how their car has more hp than a top of the line 3 series, etc. Even though they arent in the same class, they will compare it. Same goes for the G35, IS350, Acura TL forums. They all think their particular cars are "elite" and "best in class". Have you ever tried to defend a 3 series on an IS forum? You get trashed! OVer priced, mechanical failure prone, slug is what most of them feel. That is why its difficult to compare different cars on a biased car forum. Now im not saying all members are like that, but the majority are, so going into that thread you shouldnt really expect anything other than that mentality.
2006 E90 330i RWD
2002 E46 330i RWD
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2006, 03:10 PM   #5
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent0986
But you are singling our forum out. THat is the mentality on EVERY car forum. Any one who purchases a particular model and participates on it's forum has some pride in his car. I bet if you visited the Camry forum (if there is one) you would find a bunch of people raving about how their car has more hp than a top of the line 3 series, etc. Even though they arent in the same class, they will compare it. Same goes for the G35, IS350, Acura TL forums. They all think their particular cars are "elite" and "best in class". Have you ever tried to defend a 3 series on an IS forum? You get trashed! OVer priced, mechanical failure prone, slug is what most of them feel. That is why its difficult to compare different cars on a biased car forum. Now im not saying all members are like that, but the majority are, so going into that thread you shouldnt really expect anything other than that mentality.
Word!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2006, 03:23 PM   #6
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

what i've noticed about bmw owners(at least the ones in this forum) -
a majority of them are narrow-minded; they can't think outside the box.

my car is the BEST.....period.
      06-28-2006, 03:29 PM   #7
xcalibr
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Garage List
2006 E90 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y

Hahahaha... my car SUCKS. But I LOVE it. There are plenty of faster, better equipped, whatever cars... but I bought my car to suit my purposes... and driving it makes me happy. Sure, that car has more hp/torque, that one handles better, that one has more features... but I didn't want those cars. I wanted mine. No further justification necessary.
      06-28-2006, 03:49 PM   #8
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:

Hey, what happens in 10 days?!?

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2006, 03:50 PM   #9
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep

Quote:

Couldn't agree more and that's the point I am trying to make. Very true that other forums are like that, but this is especially more evident on this forum.(Perhaps we have more members?) and yes there's a camry forum along with toyota forums, the attitude their is a bit different.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2006, 04:32 PM   #10
foofighter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 TRD Off Road 4r - 2018 M3

be it Audi, BMW, Lexus I find that there will always be some bias as some people will justify what they spent; if that means they have to belittle others then that's up to them. I think it very prevalent in the euro lux crowd, they'll always feel more superior than others. Sad thing is, when it comes out the mouths of a BMW owner, it further solidifies the stigma that BMW owners are pricks...and further perpetuates the cycle.

In the past few years i've driven just about every make in the segment, Audi, Lexus, VW, and soon BMW and I've just come to appreciate a car for their qualities, not all cars are for everyone, just have to be open minded to others.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2006, 04:41 PM   #11
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep

[QUOTE=foofighter]be it Audi, BMW, Lexus I find that there will always be some bias as some people will justify what they spent; if that means they have to belittle others then that's up to them. I think it very prevalent in the euro lux crowd, they'll always feel more superior than others. Sad thing is, when it comes out the mouths of a BMW owner, it further solidifies the stigma that BMW owners are pricks...and further perpetuates the cycle.

QUOTE]

Yeah very true I guess I just hate the typical stigma and stereotype of being a BMW owner. I got it purely for the driving experience instead of bragging rights..maybe that's why I am hesitate to tell people what I drive and my co-workers don't even know I got a new car
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2006, 06:03 PM   #12
whippersnapper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: people mad

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
I'm new to this forum. I'm excited about becoming a BMW owner and have found a lot of useful information on this site

I have been horrified with some of the total inane nonsense posted from little boyz talking about who they raced (who cares) to "I can't believe a blue collar worker can get into as much debt as I have".

Maybe there needs to be an enthusiast section for those who are interested in entry level german sport sedans and another part for the posers, dreamers and wannabes?

There seem to be two types of people. One set who say "have you seen my new BMW?" and another who are almost embarrassed to admit to having one because of the negative stigma perpetuated by the first group.
      06-28-2006, 06:11 PM   #13
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper
I'm new to this forum. I'm excited about becoming a BMW owner and have found a lot of useful information on this site

I have been horrified with some of the total inane nonsense posted from little boyz talking about who they raced (who cares) to "I can't believe a blue collar worker can get into as much debt as I have".

Maybe there needs to be an enthusiast section for those who are interested in entry level german sport sedans and another part for the posers, dreamers and wannabes?

There seem to be two types of people. One set who say "have you seen my new BMW?" and another who are almost embarrassed to admit to having one because of the negative stigma perpetuated by the first group.
haha i agree but hate to tell ya but the split is prob more like 75/25...with the 75% being "have you seen my new bmw?" Nothing we can do to change that.
2006 E90 330i RWD
2002 E46 330i RWD
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2006, 07:02 PM   #14
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflash
Where's Shim?
I was just about to address the advantages of the orange over the apple.

1. Peeling is way more user-friendly, opposed to the need to use a knife to skin the apple.

2. You don't even have to wash the orange, whereas you have to wash the apple before consuming. (I still wash it anyway though)

3. Orange looks better than any color an apple can produce.

4. It tastes better.

5. This is totally off-topic.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2006, 07:03 PM   #15
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper

I hate it when people ask me what I drive, so I just reply an older 3 series. Then we are both satisfied.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2006, 10:51 PM   #16
StevoSEA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i(SA) TiAg/Blk ZSP 6mt

[QUOTE=ScBlacksunshine]
Quote:
Originally Posted by foofighter
be it Audi, BMW, Lexus I find that there will always be some bias as some people will justify what they spent; if that means they have to belittle others then that's up to them. I think it very prevalent in the euro lux crowd, they'll always feel more superior than others. Sad thing is, when it comes out the mouths of a BMW owner, it further solidifies the stigma that BMW owners are pricks...and further perpetuates the cycle.

QUOTE]

Yeah very true I guess I just hate the typical stigma and stereotype of being a BMW owner. I got it purely for the driving experience instead of bragging rights..maybe that's why I am hesitate to tell people what I drive and my co-workers don't even know I got a new car
SAME, SAME
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2006, 10:56 PM   #17
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep

[QUOTE=StevoSEA]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScBlacksunshine

SAME, SAME

Good to see another member from LBC , which part of LBC are you from? By the way the more I read this forum, the more I can tell it's kind of split between the low profile BMW owners and the other half being all out baller with "everything else sucks" mentality. It's good to be proud and happy with your purchase...but I still think there's no need to bash other unless we're talking about absolute crap like Yugo...and Toyota, especially the Camry is way far from that
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2006, 12:11 AM   #18
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
I hate it when people ask me what I drive, so I just reply an older 3 series. Then we are both satisfied.
I rarely get asked. And glad for it.
      06-29-2006, 12:27 AM   #19
foofighter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 TRD Off Road 4r - 2018 M3

Toyota is the "people's car" for the new millenia seriously...they're doing something right because they are sellin like mad. I guess they have a car to fill every niche right up to the luxury segment. Having owned an 06 GS I can say they are doing something right, they just need to give these cars MANUALS!!! lol
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2006, 12:28 AM   #20
flush01
Major
Rep
Drives: 33m@%#ing5

thanks for letting us know that
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2006, 02:33 PM   #21
needashower
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofighter
Toyota is the "people's car" for the new millenia seriously...they're doing something right because they are sellin like mad. I guess they have a car to fill every niche right up to the luxury segment. Having owned an 06 GS I can say they are doing something right, they just need to give these cars MANUALS!!! lol
Bump
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2006, 03:03 PM   #22
MIKEYMIKE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i 6mt

LOL!

Go to a g35 forum...they don't even compare their cars to the regular 3...they try to compare it to the m3.
Appreciate 0