E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > So whats faster, SMG or 6 speed

05-09-2007, 07:26 PM   #23
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
Indeed. Apparently the old SMG in the M3 took a whole 250ms to shift.

Edit: WTF, I've just seen multiple sites say that SMG II does 80ms shifts. New comment. SMG > all.
250ms = 1/4 second...I can beat that
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 07:39 PM   #24
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
250ms = 1/4 second...I can beat that
Look at the edit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2007, 09:46 AM   #25
I'm takin' the day off.
South Africa
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRS4 View Post
///M SMG is amazing. i love SMG.
+1

I have had both and once you fall in love with SMG it is far better than mt. In the real world race situation I was much faster having the car shift for me!
      05-10-2007, 08:33 PM   #26
Heli Animal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3 Cobra's (sold) - 335i Order

I've driven an 07 M5. I LOVE the SMG.. but the noes still dives a little between shifts even in the hardest mode. At the risk of sounding arrogant, I believe I can shift quicker in a good manual 6 speed (maybe the same). But you will NEVER get the 100% perfect shifts like an SMG.
      05-10-2007, 08:42 PM   #27
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

No comparison

I can see in this thread why BMW USA forced BMW AG to make a 6MT version of the M5.

SMG is better and much faster for the dragstrip and race track. On the dragstrip, SMG3 in S6 mode shifts in 65 ms (0.5 or 500 ms for a good manual driver). At the race track, with the rev matching, it is not even close.
      05-11-2007, 07:29 PM   #28
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
I can see in this thread why BMW USA forced BMW AG to make a 6MT version of the M5.

SMG is better and much faster for the dragstrip and race track. On the dragstrip, SMG3 in S6 mode shifts in 65 ms (0.5 or 500 ms for a good manual driver). At the race track, with the rev matching, it is not even close.

Are you crazy? The difference between the amount of time it takes for you to flick the SMG shifter and for me to smack my 6 speed and get off the clutch is so minimal it's rediculous. The reason it seems so lopsided is because the SMG shift is for the computer to shift the gear once you hit your paddle or shift lever. The 6 speed shift time is measured from start to finish and half a second still seems slow. Especially if I'm in sport mode and have shorter throws.

I'll close with this. I also find myself shifting from 2 to 4 or even 6 depending on the situation. Sometimes its nice to be able to skip gears.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2007, 07:33 PM   #29
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Are you crazy? The difference between the amount of time it takes for you to flick the SMG shifter and for me to smack my 6 speed and get off the clutch is so minimal it's rediculous. The reason it seems so lopsided is because the SMG shift is for the computer to shift the gear once you hit your paddle or shift lever. The 6 speed shift time is measured from start to finish and half a second still seems slow. Especially if I'm in sport mode and have shorter throws.

I'll close with this. I also find myself shifting from 2 to 4 or even 6 depending on the situation. Sometimes its nice to be able to skip gears.

Not crazy. I would be impressed if people can shift faster than say 400 ms on a manual.

Go look at some rags that have the SMG acceleration curves....there is no break but you do see a "flat spot" for manuals. All these flatspots add up. So if you go through the gears, you would have half a second more of acceleration time in SMG versus manual.

Yes, you can also skip gears on SMG.
      05-11-2007, 07:35 PM   #30
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

How? Doesn't that screw up the whole sequential thing?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2007, 07:48 PM   #31
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
How? Doesn't that screw up the whole sequential thing?
No, you pull on the lever a couple of times (up or down) and the SMG computer will put you in the desired gear. So on the highway, you are chugging along in 7th, tap the lever and you can be in 4th or 5th by the time anyone can execute a heel-n-toe downshift. SMG is even better than DSG for skipping gears.

BMW's rumored new tranny is a hybrid between SMG and DSG. In performance mode, it would be very much like SMG today but in auto mode, it would use the dual clutch system and be smooth....just rumors.

Here is a JPEG of a 335i acceleration chart....see the flat spots on the acceleration? This doesn't happen with SMG.
Attached Images

05-11-2007, 07:57 PM   #32
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

7th huh? I don't think M5/M6 count. If you can afford that, you should kick my ass anyway
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2007, 07:58 PM   #33
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

As for the flat spots, I'm sure they are there, just much smaller.
Appreciate 0