E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Weddings and In-Laws

05-22-2014, 05:44 PM   #67
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
If it is, you want to split the costs of a rental boat? I would gladly fly my family in for that.

You know? Braggy Brad lives where you live at. It might actually be real convenience for both of us! haha
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #68
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrena View Post

You know? Braggy Brad lives where you live at. It might actually be real convenience for both of us! haha
Oh the love can be seen in this conversation
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 09:08 PM   #69
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh the love can be seen in this conversation
Yeah, topic was about wedding. So, I tried my best.

Going back to the topic of OP
I dislike most of my dad's side of my family, but I had to invite them. My mom's side was way too far away, so only few as a representative showed up.

I really didn't want my father to show up, but it would look really odd w/o father of groom. So, I did invited him.

Either I liked it or not, family and future family showed up.

Sadly, most of my seat was filled by most of church elders, deacons, reverends, and religious related people I knew from cities all over. LOL.

My in-laws wanted the religious wedding. They got one!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 10:23 PM   #70
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, topic was about wedding. So, I tried my best.

Going back to the topic of OP
I dislike most of my dad's side of my family, but I had to invite them. My mom's side was way too far away, so only few as a representative showed up.

I really didn't want my father to show up, but it would look really odd w/o father of groom. So, I did invited him.

Either I liked it or not, family and future family showed up.

Sadly, most of my seat was filled by most of church elders, deacons, reverends, and religious related people I knew from cities all over. LOL.

My in-laws wanted the religious wedding. They got one!
The romantic in me handled this as nothing but paperwork. We showed up at the magistrate, and 15 minutes later the deed was done. My mother (fuck) didn't have the time to get out a hankie to cry, and my father was so happy about not getting a huge bill, that he almost smiled.

Now, the inlaws still pester us to have a real wedding, and I can only say, that hell will freeze over before I stat doing anything like that. If I ever have to go trough a punch of my friends, his friends, our families talking about my lack of romantism, I will murder someone. Seriously, it's a flipping piece of paper, just sign.

I have a great excuse to be poisoned against these from my younger days, and the rational me knows I don't hate weddings, but still ...
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 12:59 PM   #71
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Back to the kids as hostage - many of the Freidas tried that at first, but they still didn't get invited. We missed the kids, but sometimes you get born to a family that sucks. When Fred starts to need a babysitter, your SO will get to see her niece again.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 03:12 PM   #72
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Back to the kids as hostage - many of the Freidas tried that at first, but they still didn't get invited. We missed the kids, but sometimes you get born to a family that sucks. When Fred starts to need a babysitter, your SO will get to see her niece again.
I'm not entirely sure that will ever happen as he has no job nor desires to have one, thus not having a reason for a babysitter.

He will hold his breath until he turns blue before he ask anyone for help, just to keep his pride.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 03:17 PM   #73
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
I'm not entirely sure that will ever happen as he has no job nor desires to have one, thus not having a reason for a babysitter.

He will hold his breath until he turns blue before he ask anyone for help, just to keep his pride.
Maybe on the surface, but bet you he moans and complains to the SO (Katie?) and it will be Katie that comes to ask for help, not him. That way he saves his pride because its not him asking and gets rid of the kid.

That type of person will use others as necessary to get his way and still retain this sense of self worth.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #74
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Maybe on the surface, but bet you he moans and complains to the SO (Katie?) and it will be Katie that comes to ask for help, not him. That way he saves his pride because its not him asking and gets rid of the kid.

That type of person will use others as necessary to get his way and still retain this sense of self worth.
As I think about it you are spot on. I have got to shut this guy down without affecting the family dynamics. Impossible?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #75
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Mate, which family does not have a Fred? Some families probably have more than one.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #76
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Mate, which family does not have a Fred? Some families probably have more than one.
I agree with you. I'm asking for advice on how to deal with this neanderthal as he is only 2x removed from my SO. His actions can actually affect my life via my future sister-in-law.

It's not as easy as just ignoring him. Even that will have consequences.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #77
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep

Huge +1 for doing that, and even bigger +1 for your wife and in-laws for agreeing.

Quote:
The romantic in me handled this as nothing but paperwork. We showed up at the magistrate, and 15 minutes later the deed was done. My mother (fuck) didn't have the time to get out a hankie to cry, and my father was so happy about not getting a huge bill, that he almost smiled.

Now, the inlaws still pester us to have a real wedding, and I can only say, that hell will freeze over before I stat doing anything like that. If I ever have to go trough a punch of my friends, his friends, our families talking about my lack of romantism, I will murder someone. Seriously, it's a flipping piece of paper, just sign.

I have a great excuse to be poisoned against these from my younger days, and the rational me knows I don't hate weddings, but still ...
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #78
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Huge +1 for doing that, and even bigger +1 for your wife and in-laws for agreeing.
I'm the wife.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 04:27 PM   #79
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm the wife.
Oops, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 04:29 PM   #80
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Oops, sorry.
Yeah, it's the romantic in me which throws everyone off. and the fact that this is bimmerpost.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 05:44 PM   #81
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
I agree with you. I'm asking for advice on how to deal with this neanderthal as he is only 2x removed from my SO. His actions can actually affect my life via my future sister-in-law.

It's not as easy as just ignoring him. Even that will have consequences.
Have you talked to Fred's parents? Or your wife + sister's parents? That could be a good start.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 06:03 PM   #82
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Have you talked to Fred's parents? Or your wife + sister's parents? That could be a good start.
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

As for my fiancee and her sister's parents, yes numerous times. We had an intervention without much success.

Well, I appreciate everyone's input thus far, I'll be back on Tuesday. Going to enjoy this 3 day weekend. Happy Memorial Day!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 04:26 PM   #83
Lups
Rep

I got a lovely email from my dear mother today. Just wanted to share, that I'll be in Canada/ great lakes/ moon area in Christmas time, since they want to visit us.

So fucking lovely of them to mention, that they can stay at a hotel, but they would like to spend time with us as much as possible. I need a good lawyer, the charges will be for murder.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 05:01 PM   #84
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Question for my married peoples, specifically men...

Here is the TL;DR only:

My fiance has a sister named let's say 'Katie'. Katie has a fiance let's call him 'Fred'.

Fred's background:

Fred is an asshole. Fred got mad at me that I did not ask him to be one of my groomsmen. (Crazy, I know) Fred, yelled, cussed me out and even threatened me if he had to see his fiance walk down the aisle with another man. Fred is obviously very insecure.

When I marry my fiance, I marry into her whole family. Fred will more than likely be at family events.

Fred and I have resolved our issues, but I no longer consider Fred a friend nor do I want to build a relationship with him, HOWEVER, I still have to be cordial and see him at family events.

Do any of you have a Fred in your family? How do you deal with him?

Disclaimer: Fred is a 38 year old deadbeat with no job, car, education and has a belief that he's gonna make it big in the music business.
I didn't read the thread yet, but maybe I can provide some insightful advice.
Sleep with his wife. That'll teach him.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 05:04 PM   #85
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
I have a Fred in my family - I just avoid him...

simple as that....

he doesn't sign my paychecks, he doesn't take care of my kids, he doesn't pay my bills and he certainly doesn't control the way I live my life...

fuck him, fuck Fred and fuck Fred's life...

he ain't shit and won't ever be shit....
I lol'd too hard at this - your responses make me want to convert to being Mexican.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 05:50 PM   #86
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

IMHO life is too short, why let in laws bother you too much? You can't choose them, as you cannot choose neighbors.

We went to a wedding in SF last July. I personally handed the $500 gift card to my cousin, because I knew there would be no Ty card, acknowledgement, etc. my mom asked me if we got a Ty card, I said no, but did not expect one (haha he gave no gift when he attended my wedding). My mom said that's not right and mentioned it to her sister, my aunt.

My feeling is life is imperfect, enjoy the $500 gift. Just because he doesn't know how to say thank you isn't going to bother me, I'll still do the right thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 01:41 AM   #87
M3 Pilot
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17' F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
HAHA... I stand down to no man no matter who they are, however I'm not gonna resort to violence. Sure, I could whoop his arse, but what does that prove?
Nobody's talking about violence. If the in-laws invite you over for thanksgiving, just place your Glock 17 on the table, hold hands and say prayers before you dig in.

Maybe its loaded maybe its not. Maybe the firearm accidentally discharge 1 round into Fred's groin.

All I'm saying is, I'm sure things will work out buddy.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 04:35 AM   #88
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep

uh oh..... you mentioned Austrian last name of Mr Geston G. on the table.

It isn't a good idea to bring Mr.Geston G into it, but it might be a good idea to bring Mr. Kalashnikov's to talk it out with Fred.

Russian "kalashnikov" Vodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Pilot View Post
Nobody's talking about violence. If the in-laws invite you over for thanksgiving, just place your Glock 17 on the table, hold hands and say prayers before you dig in.

Maybe its loaded maybe its not. Maybe the firearm accidentally discharge 1 round into Fred's groin.

All I'm saying is, I'm sure things will work out buddy.
Appreciate 0