E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Condensation inside windshield/windows of GTI

03-11-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
synapse88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Exclamation Condensation inside windshield/windows of GTI

I have a 2008 GTI that I pretty much stopped driving when I bought my 335i. I'm about to sell it, but I've noticed that it has been developing condensation inside the car, on the windshield and sometimes the windows. I notice it in the morning, and I'm thinking it's probably gone by the time I get home from work. As a result the car is a little mustly smelling, and this problem has never happened before.

Since buying my new car, I have been parking the GTI on the street, and because of this the car does get hit with sun that it didn't when I parked in the driveway...maybe that's causing it?

Is there just moisture trapped in there that needs to get gone? Is it as simple as that? I tried running the AC for like an hour thinking that would bring down the humidity levels...but that didn't help that much. I can't detect and dampness/spills on the carpet....

And advice?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Check your sunroof drains (A-pillar and C pillar) and your HVAC evap drain tube.

Somehow water is getting into your car and then the condensation showing up on your windows. Throwing in some of those water collecting bags (like that come in electronics, you can buy big bags of that stuff at your HomeDepot, ect)would be a good idea too.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
JimmyT
Redneck Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

they sell stuff at wal mart to soak up humidity in the car. Spray some lysol into the HVAC system through the outside air intake near the windshield and change the HVAC hepa filter under the passenger side dash. If the funky smell remains, consider professional detailing to make the car buyer ready, and to present a better image, picture on craigslist or wherever you plan to advertise the car for sale. GLWTS!!