E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Leather vs. ballistic nylon

05-04-2008, 08:48 PM   #1
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast

Leather vs. ballistic nylon

I recently started a new job that has me traveling a little bit more than I have in the past. Most of it is only 2-3hr drives once a week with the occasional flight (every quarter or so). I had a leather Tumi laptop briefcase and it was simply awesome. I realized walking through Union Station in Wash DC the other day that I needed something with wheels for my laptop and other business items.

Question is, do I stick with leather or go with Tumi's new ballistic nylon "Alpha" series or the series behind it in leather (same exact looking laptop briefcase as the nylon except in leather). The leather is $200 more retail but I have found a place that will give me 20% off of the previous series (making it only $60 more). Anyone had any experience with Tumi's? Leather or ballistic nylon? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 10:11 PM   #2
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
Tumi is an excellent brand. i have the ballistic nylon laptop back that has a shitload of space and hidden compartments. its been holding up well for the last 2 years. i know the Tumi leather laptop bags have some wear and tear issues reguarding the handle strap...
      05-04-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
Amir87
Gruppe Titan
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 SG/Coral

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [10.00]
Tumi FTW

Go for the ballistic nylon!
      05-04-2008, 11:47 PM   #4
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

I dont have tumi.. But for probably the past 10 years I have had my Victorinox wheeled bag which is made from ballistics nylon. Never had an issue and its held up great. And I do a combo of checking it and carrying it on depending on how I am feeling. And for me anything that lasts more than a year is a miracle. And the handle on this bag it has been dropped so many times and nocked over so many times ect and still works perfectly. I would assume Tumi would be also, but I ended up picking up a Victorinox case over Tumi especially since I liked the wheeled bag I had (plus my 15inch laptop fit better in the Vic one). So far 3 years with it and its been great.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 12:14 AM   #5
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahtzee View Post
I recently started a new job that has me traveling a little bit more than I have in the past. Most of it is only 2-3hr drives once a week with the occasional flight (every quarter or so). I had a leather Tumi laptop briefcase and it was simply awesome. I realized walking through Union Station in Wash DC the other day that I needed something with wheels for my laptop and other business items.

Question is, do I stick with leather or go with Tumi's new ballistic nylon "Alpha" series or the series behind it in leather (same exact looking laptop briefcase as the nylon except in leather). The leather is $200 more retail but I have found a place that will give me 20% off of the previous series (making it only $60 more). Anyone had any experience with Tumi's? Leather or ballistic nylon? Thanks.
I'm using Tumi Gen IV ballistic nylon laptop case, 22" roll-aboard, and I have the 24", 26" and 28" Gen IV bags as well. I'd say you can't go wrong with Tumi. They'll fix about anything that goes wrong with them. I've seen deals on eBay every now and then for Tumi in the box from various dealers.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 07:37 AM   #6
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Not bashing Tumi or anything cuz I love their styling and overall appeal but I bought one last year for the first time and promptly returned it after its first use. The thing rattled over every surface other than carpet. And not a normal rattle, the telescope handle rattled and the frame rattled. I felt like a hobo rollin with my $580 noise maker next to my fiances $80 cheap luxo ride To give the case the benefit of doubt, it was the floor model at Nordstrom since they didn't have any in the back and I didn't have time to have one shipped. Yet Nordstrom took it right back like the do everything, Nordstom FTW!!

I'd also go with Andrew's recommendation of Victorinox. They appear almost identical to Tumi for half the price. I'd definitely give Tumi another shot but Victorinox makes it hard to justify the price difference for luggage or a simple bag.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #7
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boddfbop View Post
This posts is*very*informative.*Thank you!

Did you just do a search for the oldest thread and decide to revive it from the dead for interest's sake?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 10:05 AM   #8
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boddfbop View Post
This posts is*very*informative.*Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Did you just do a search for the oldest thread and decide to revive it from the dead for interest's sake?
It's a "bot". You're not talking to a real human.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 12:42 PM   #9
matt
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: munichs finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
It's a "bot". You're not talking to a real human.
How do we know you aren't a bot either?
      05-23-2014, 08:02 AM   #10
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
I'd also go with Andrew's recommendation of Victorinox. They appear almost identical to Tumi for half the price. I'd definitely give Tumi another shot but Victorinox makes it hard to justify the price difference for luggage or a simple bag.
Tumi's styling/design is awesome but Victorinox and Briggs & Riley have the best warranties. Regardless, ballistic nylon all the way. My backpacks are 1000 denier and still look new after several years of abuse.