E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Career Advice

05-21-2014, 07:10 PM   #23
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

^^ Good suggestion. If you are working in the field, try moving to Texas. Surely the skills you have/are learning in the Bakken will translate to the Eagle Ford. Or try West Virginia/Pennsylvania for the Marcellus/Utica, though you'll still be dealing with the winters...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #24
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstkill View Post
Why not try a different city. Unless you live in a cheap part of California, your situation will be worse besides the weather.

California taxes will make your income shrink even more.

fk
This is why I got heck out of LA county.
1920s built 1200 sq-ft home near LaBrea and 3rd for $620k? No thanks.
I also disliked the traffic. Westwood to West part of Los Angeles takes about 50minutes?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 08:14 PM   #25
kerm1t
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP Stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrena View Post
This is why I got heck out of LA county.
1920s built 1200 sq-ft home near LaBrea and 3rd for $620k? No thanks.
I also disliked the traffic. Westwood to West part of Los Angeles takes about 50minutes?
you think thats a crazy deal? only a few will survive living in LA county hahaha

anyhow, for some of us its worth it (like me). although some people may say it balances out after tax, etc… you will make a shit ton more money compared to any other states (except NY)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 08:16 PM   #26
kerm1t
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP Stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsrunem8 View Post
**I know this is only an online forum, but I know I can gain some great insight from very successful individuals here.**

I will keep this brief. I am 23 years old, no kids, girl, and don’t have any outstanding debt. I was offered a position in North Dakota for my company specializing in Oil Fields last September, and I took it. My annual income has more than doubled from where I was. I have saved a decent amount of cash, and gained some valuable experience. However, if you guys are familiar with North Dakota, there is practically nothing here. All I do is work, and don’t have time for anything else. There is hardly a social life, winters are long and cold, I am even limited to being able to visit back home. I am from California, born and raised, so it is a huge culture shock since I am used to that ‘Cali Life.’ Anyway, I now have an opportunity to take a job back home, but my compensation will be cut in half.

I’m a Project Analyst, so I do not work outside. I do work 72 hours a week currently with a 1.5 hour commute each way, and will only work 40 hours in California with the luxury of Fridays-Sunday off, and plus it is California. Should I do it? Or better, what would you do in my position? Making well over 6 figures at the age of 23 is not bad at all, but I don’t know if I should become a slave to money.

Some advice would definitely be appreciated, since I am confused as hell.

Thanks
even if your salary doubles, you have to think if its worth it for you. you can move out there and just work ur life away without having fun. don't let money control you.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 08:33 PM   #27
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerm1t View Post
you think thats a crazy deal? only a few will survive living in LA county hahaha

anyhow, for some of us its worth it (like me). although some people may say it balances out after tax, etc… you will make a shit ton more money compared to any other states (except NY)
Yeah, I actually did well financially, but I didn't like the traffic at all. Raised there (suburb of LA county) and lived in City of LA after I was done w/ schooling. I really hate the parking situation. I need to park 3 blocks away for Starbucks. Valet parking for a starbucks isn't my life style.
However, my wife is opposite. She wants to go back to Los Angeles, and she wants to buy a condo east of Westwood.

Most of my family and relative lives there, and I can always visit there to do all the eatery.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 06:34 AM   #28
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Save money for another year or so and bounce, you will be so much happier. At 20, they'll say work hard till your 30. At 30, they'll say work hard till your 40... and so on. It always happens, trust me. Next thing you know, you are old and retired.
      05-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #29
Letsrunem8
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

Guess North Dakota it is. Maybe spend another year or two here then head back to the motherland.
I'm going to try for a raise here meanwhile
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #30
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

I was in a slightly similar situation at 23. I accepted a job offer in San Diego out of college, but ended up going to NH with the company and keeping my SD salary. Albeit, NH is a hell of a lot better than ND. I worked there for 2 years, saved 1/3 of my salary both years, then moved to DC, because I wanted a better social life in my 20s. I got +15% in pay, but that went straight to the difference in cost of living. I rented for 1 year then bought a townhouse. So technically at 25, I moved laterally, but my QUALITY of living increased drastically. I have been enjoying myself and doing things I couldn't do previously because of where I was living (only thing I miss is being close to hiking/skiing). I'm 27 and do not regret leaving an environment of savings/misery. I still travel and do whatever I want, and am much happier day-to-day being where I want to be.

Cliff notes: sacrificed 2 years fresh out of college to build savings, then moved to enjoy mid-late 20s.

Last edited by PSUSMU; 05-22-2014 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #31
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU
I was in a slightly similar situation at 23. I accepted a job offer in San Diego out of college, but ended up going to NH with the company and keeping my SD salary. Albeit, NH is a hell of a lot better than ND. I worked there for 2 years, saved 1/3 of my salary both years, then moved to DC, because I wanted a better social life in my 20s. I got +15% in pay, but that went straight to the difference in cost of living. I rented for 1 year then bought a townhouse. So technically at 25, I moved laterally, but my QUALITY of living increased drastically. I have been enjoying myself and doing things I couldn't do previously because of where I was living. I'm 27 and do not regret leaving an environment of savings/misery. I still travel and do whatever I want, and am much happier day-to-day being where I want to be.

Cliff notes: sacrificed 2 years fresh out of college to build savings, then moved to enjoy mid-late 20s.
I agree. I was in a place that I didn't like for 2 years as well and it was terrible. Saved money, bounced and all is waaaay better.

So OP, pull thru for 2 or so years and bounce as well. Don't waste more than a few years because it will hurt.
      05-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #32
Zach1328
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i / 2007 335i

Quote:
I would be making under a 100k a year if I move back. It's a tough choice. The question I ask myself is, "Do I want to waste my 20's not living life?"
Save AS MUCH money as you can when you are in your 20's!!! Have you heard of the concept TVM (Time Value of Money)?
Time is moneys best friend! Play around with this calculator some and you will see what I mean: http://www.daveramsey.com/article/in...g/#/entry_form

I already work my ass off and will continue to do so into my mid 30's. I plan on retiring before the age of 40 with a pretty high net worth so I can enjoy the rest of my life!
However, unlike you (at least so it seems) I work my ass off because I truly love doing what I do. It doesn't actually feel like work, so am I actually "working"? I guess so, but I don't feel like I'm wasting my 20's because I actually enjoy what I do.

Don't become addicted to money because money is simply a medium of exchange. Its important to know how much money is really necessary for you to live your dream life and keep that number close to you!!
Its easy to get greedy and when you hit the first $5 million, you want another $5 million. Then you have $10 million and you want another $10 million. This can be a never ending cycle that leaves you working for the rest of your life.
Rather, reach your goal and use that money to buy experiences.

By the way, when using the calculator keep in mind average annual returns are roughly 8-9% for a diversified portfolio. In the long-term, small-cap stocks have gone up an average of 16.5% annually and large-cap stocks have gone up an average of 11.5%.
At your age making your kind of money you can afford a riskier portfolio and aim for mostly large & small cap stocks - avoiding mutual funds, bonds, T-bills and the other small returners.
Mods: JB4 + MHD BEF, RB Twos Plus, Phoenix PI Manifold, Dual Walbro 450 LPFP's, DCI, VRSF DP's, VRSF 7.5" FMIC, VRSF CP + TiAL BOV, VRSF inlets & aluminum outlets, TC Kline SA, M3 F/R control arms, M3 subframe bushings
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 10:53 PM   #33
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach1328 View Post
Its easy to get greedy and when you hit the first $5 million, you want another $5 million. Then you have $10 million and you want another $10 million.
I know what you mean. You might want to hit up the first world problems thread.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 11:00 PM   #34
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Doubt you make well over $100k as a project analyst at 23 in ND...LOL. Even if you do, get all you can while you can get it. Do fun shit once in a while and go all out...you'll be in great shape in your 30s.

California sucks and your commute sucks.

Texas >>>both states.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 07:31 AM   #35
Letsrunem8
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335
Doubt you make well over $100k as a project analyst at 23 in ND...LOL. Even if you do, get all you can while you can get it. Do fun shit once in a while and go all out...you'll be in great shape in your 30s.

California sucks and your commute sucks.

Texas >>>both states.
Learn a thing or two about the Bakken, and the wages here, then make your assumption. Working for one of biggest contractors here and being the lead, helps as well.

As far as everyone else, I appreciate all your insight. It definitely does help knowing some of you were in a similar situation and the route you took.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #36
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Learn a thing or two about the Bakken, and the wages here, then make your assumption. Working for one of biggest contractors here and being the lead, helps as well.

As far as everyone else, I appreciate all your insight. It definitely does help knowing some of you were in a similar situation and the route you took.
You never said it was Bakken. If it's true, good for you. You just have to understand it sounds unbelievable and not be offended.
Appreciate 0