E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Iphone in USA ??

12-03-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
Busha
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 320d

Iphone in USA ??

Hello,

as you can see, I am from Croatia and have one question. My friend goes to USA soon and i want him to buy me an Apple Iphone over there. How much does it cost there in stores ? Can it be bought without contract on AT&T and for what price ? What is the cheapest way to buy an Iphone in USA and he will bring it to me here in Croatia, I will unlock it and that is it.

Tnx and cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 03:56 PM   #2
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

The Iphone was originally $499. The price has been dropped to $399. When you buy it, it is only available for Cingular and I believe you have to sign up for Cingular service. Your friend will have to ask in person how much it is without the 2 year package. You can buy already unlocked Iphones for $500 on e-bay. But if you are going to unlock it yourself, might as well buy one legit from Apple for $399.

You could also buy it online and have it shipped directly to you. Although this link in particular requires a 2 year agreement with Cingular. X.x
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL.../family/iphone
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

You can buy it for $399 no questions asked at the store.. Just cant pay cash and cant buy more than 4 or 5 total on your credit card.. I just got done selling another unlocked iphone and got out of the iphone unlocking and selling business since I made enough money to buy myself a touch.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 06:54 PM   #4
RIP-A4
estudioG design+interiors
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

or you can buy a refurbished one from applestore.com look up jailbreak for iphone to unlock it. Also iLounge.com has alot of forums on this topic
      12-03-2007, 07:45 PM   #5
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP-A4 View Post
or you can buy a refurbished one from applestore.com look up jailbreak for iphone to unlock it. Also iLounge.com has alot of forums on this topic
jailbreak just activates the phone it doesnt unlock it.. Right now the new 1.1.2 the last I head unlocking it is impossible for a while since the baseband back door has been closed meaning we cant edit the baseband to allow other sim cards. Downgrading to 1.1.1 or doing a restore or clean flash will not work since the baseband remains in tact. If he goes soon you can maybe get lucky and get a 1.1.1 phone from an unbusy apple store or an ATT store. My last unlocked iphone I sold prices jumped because of this.

So as of right now 1.1.2 can be used basically as an ipod touch..

Seems to be week 44 is the hit or miss weak for the new modem firmware that cant be downgraded. So week 42 and below phones should be safe.

So right now turbosim is the only method for 1.1.2 phones.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 09:47 PM   #6
chrisM6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Red E92 M3

I have an iphone, does anyone know how to unlock it? Sorry for hijacking thread.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 11:37 PM   #7
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris335i View Post
I have an iphone, does anyone know how to unlock it? Sorry for hijacking thread.
What version is it? 1.1.1 or 1.1.2? How long ago did you buy it? Best if its older 1.1.1 is med to hack (just takes more time nothing hard) 1.0.2 is easy and can be done in under 10 mins.

You might want to read up about the iphonesim free. I will tell you why.. In a few countries the iphone must be sold unlocked, apple does this by taking the IME number of the iphone and generating a code at a central sever then sending it to the phone which unlocks it, the phone remains unlocked and when an update is done the phone goes backed into a inactivated state which you must have itunes reactivate by confirming with the central sever the phones numbers again but no codes are generated it but the unlock remains intact (this would only happen with each update).

Now how does this apply to iphonesim free, well a few rumors are going around that is iphone sim free has an insider at apple that got the codes the sever uses to unlock the phones, and how it works is your telling your iphone to connect to the iphone sim free sever and its sending back modification codes to your iphone.. Now iphone sim free has a problem whenever an update comes out you get back to the activate phone stage and it wont activate since it wasnt unlocked from the real apple sever... But activate and jail break apps are always the first to come out, so as long as someone makes a activate and jail break app in theory assuming they have the stolen activate codes the phone will remain unlocked forever.. But as of now there is no way to reverse what iphone free sim does so this is the downside along with costing $$$$.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 11:57 AM   #8
Busha
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, so he can go in any Apple store, put 399 USD on the table and go out with an Iphone ?? I know that I must unlock it, every Iphone must be unlocked if I want to use it here in Croatia. So, 400 USD and no 2 year package ?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #9
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busha View Post
Ok, so he can go in any Apple store, put 399 USD on the table and go out with an Iphone ?? I know that I must unlock it, every Iphone must be unlocked if I want to use it here in Croatia. So, 400 USD and no 2 year package ?
Correct but it has to be on a credit card.. As of right now 1.1.2 is not unlockable. I would send him to an ATT store and buy one chances are he will get an older 1.1.1 phone.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 04:03 AM   #10
Busha
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, I have read on the net that it is easy to downgrade it and then unlock it ? How he can buy it in ATT store when he doesnt want to sign 2 year contract, just buy the phone for 399 USD and use it in Croatia ?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 11:04 AM   #11
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
Ok, I have read on the net that it is easy to downgrade it and then unlock it ? How he can buy it in ATT store when he doesnt want to sign 2 year contract, just buy the phone for 399 USD and use it in Croatia ?
Correct.

But like I said 1.1.2 you cant downgrade and unlock it as of yet.. the modem firmware has changed and they closed the back door that used to allow us to wipe the modem firmware and change it to whatever we wished. Right now turbo sim is the way about it until someone figures something else out.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 11:28 AM   #12
Busha
First Lieutenant
Rep

Oh, then if he gets 1.1.2 version it cant be used here and be unlocked ? So i have no use with the Iphone if it is 1.1.2, I must put it on the shelf if he brings that one ?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 02:47 PM   #13
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
Oh, then if he gets 1.1.2 version it cant be used here and be unlocked ? So i have no use with the Iphone if it is 1.1.2, I must put it on the shelf if he brings that one ?
You can use whats called turbo sim to get a 1.1.2 version working until a work around for 1.1.2 is found.. or check out iphonefreesim since the rumor is they had an apple insider steal the official unlock codes since it works different than every other unlock method.

Search iphone turbo sim.. But I would just wait for iphonefreesim to update for 1.1.2. But personally this unlocking business for the iphone I would stay away form, its not worth it and the phone isnt that great.
Appreciate 0