E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Canadian Immigraion!!!! I HAVE A ?

12-01-2007, 10:52 AM   #1
BeMyWife330i
DIMA ZMEY
United_States
Rep
Drives: B5 S4 avant

Canadian Immigraion!!!! I HAVE A ?

Hi guys, i wanted to know if i have US citizenship, can i move to Canada and have i right to work and live there, and after a while get a Canadian citizenship? im just thinking about moving to Toronto, ive been there couple times and really like it, and thre is other reasons, so if you guy could let me know how easy/hard it would be for me to get Canadian citizenship. what are the benefits coming to Canada being a US citizen, or it doesnt make any diffrence? thank you in advance

Dmitry
      12-01-2007, 10:57 AM   #2
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
You'll need a work visa, I believe. Changing citizenship isn't horribly difficult, but you have to drop your US citizenship to do so. You can't be a dual citizen except in certain cases (like me. ).
Getting your citizenship will take a little while, and cost some money. I don't believe there is any benefit to being a US Citizen living in Canada, except you don't lose your US cit. I believe that if you're not a citizen of Canada, you can't use their free health care, though.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 04:30 AM   #3
BeMyWife330i
DIMA ZMEY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt View Post
You'll need a work visa, I believe. Changing citizenship isn't horribly difficult, but you have to drop your US citizenship to do so. You can't be a dual citizen except in certain cases (like me. ).
Getting your citizenship will take a little while, and cost some money. I don't believe there is any benefit to being a US Citizen living in Canada, except you don't lose your US cit. I believe that if you're not a citizen of Canada, you can't use their free health care, though.
some intresting stuff, thank you Matt.
      12-02-2007, 04:51 AM   #4
vq352k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi, e92 335I (Ret.)

beside the free health care what other benefits do you get??? free college???
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 07:14 AM   #5
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vq352k View Post
beside the free health care what other benefits do you get??? free college???
what else do you need? Healthcare whenever you need it and free (good) education. What would be the negative sides?

You don't need to loose the US citizenship if you obtain Canadian -- unless you chose so or go there and require a refugee status. The latest US INS act allows the US citizens to have dual citizenship in most (real life) situations.

You cannot work in Canada without the work permit; you do get some healthcare benefits with having only a residency up there.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 09:37 AM   #6
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

I would not consider the Canadian healthcare system to be a perk. Try living in the northern states and just look and see how many come across the border for medical care.

I also have numerous Canadian friends - every last one of them will tell you with first hand experience how messed up their system is. They're all laughing at us, in our politcal discussions of how we need to adopt their system.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #7
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
I would not consider the Canadian healthcare system to be a perk. Try living in the northern states and just look and see how many come across the border for medical care.

I also have numerous Canadian friends - every last one of them will tell you with first hand experience how messed up their system is. They're all laughing at us, in our politcal discussions of how we need to adopt their system.
I am not sure why your numerous friends have issues with Canadian system and my numerous friends (Toronto has 350k Serbs so I know many people up there...) tell me the opposite -- it is the greatest thing ever. Also, coming from Europe, I have many friends that live in England and France and they tell me the same story -- great things. Of course, there is always exception in every system, but the lies and misconseption that we hear about their healthcare is just ridiculous...
Even the poorest countries in (Eastern) Europe have this kind of system. In 1999 I took my girlfriend at the time (wife now) bact to my home land for the first time. She got really sick -- pollution, January weather... We called the doctor at 11 PM, he came to our home, examined he, gave her a shot, gave her a medicine and left with no penny asked. She was not a citizen not a relative...just a girlfrient at the time...
And that country has a GDP of an average county in the USA... ()

What we fail to understand is that the healthcare (and education) in this country are pure business. People die on the streets because Aetna or Cigna have to make their numbers. In a civilized society, that should not be the case -- healthcare should care (as the name applies) for its citizens and should definitely be Government regulated and provided.

Another example would be when I got very sick on one of my business trips to Taiwan. The doctor came to my hotel room on Sunday afternoon, examined me, left me a bag full of medicine and it cost me $15...

The key word is CARE...that we translate as MONEY...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 12:38 PM   #8
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMyWife330i View Post
Hi guys, i wanted to know if i have US citizenship, can i move to Canada and have i right to work and live there, and after a while get a Canadian citizenship? im just thinking about moving to Toronto, ive been there couple times and really like it, and thre is other reasons, so if you guy could let me know how easy/hard it would be for me to get Canadian citizenship. what are the benefits coming to Canada being a US citizen, or it doesnt make any diffrence? thank you in advance

Dmitry

is it something i said?

let me rephrase.. is it something Bush said?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 12:40 PM   #9
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post

is it something i said?

let me rephrase.. is it something Bush said?
No, Bush "said" is an oxymoron

I think he watched SiCKO
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 12:44 PM   #10
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post

I think he watched SiCKO

i can see the "moron" part of it at least
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 01:17 PM   #11
BeMyWife330i
DIMA ZMEY
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I think he watched SiCKO

12-02-2007, 02:27 PM   #12
bmw318i_95
Rep
Drives: E90

Canada doesn't have free college...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 04:22 PM   #13
audiprotein
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi a4

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/faq.html
This have some questions/answers
http://www.43things.com/things/view/...nadian-citizen
Canadian Citinzeship and Immigration Website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp
Udachi!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 04:41 PM   #14
Zeeman
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 335 SG

As a Canadian, I think that Canada is a great country, but there are a few significant downsides of living in Canada as compared to the US:

1. Income taxes are significantly higher for higher income earner. Eg - in most provinces you will hit a rate of >40% at just over 100K/yr in income.
2. You cannot make a deduction for mortgage interest on your principle residence
3. BMWs, cars in general, and most consumer goods are more expensive.
4. Sales taxes are generally higher.

Some of the benefits of living of in Canada:

1. Generally cleaner cities
2. Better infrastucture (e.g. better maintained roads)
3. Better enducation system (from what I hear)
4. Cheaper post secondary education (not free, but much more affordable than even state schools in the US)
5. Lower rates of violent crime
6. Less poverty
7. Low cost health care, as mentioned. For someone that has to pay for their own healthcare (e.g. self employed) this can be a huge consideration
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 06:38 PM   #15
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeman View Post
As a Canadian, I think that Canada is a great country, but there are a few significant downsides of living in Canada as compared to the US:

1. Income taxes are significantly higher for higher income earner. Eg - in most provinces you will hit a rate of >40% at just over 100K/yr in income.
2. You cannot make a deduction for mortgage interest on your principle residence

4. Cheaper post secondary education (not free, but much more affordable than even state schools in the US)
6. Less poverty
7. Low cost health care, as mentioned. For someone that has to pay for their own healthcare (e.g. self employed) this can be a huge consideration
Thanks.

In the downsides column -- #1 -- only 6% of the US employees earn >$98k, therefore, they are rarity. I assume it is same/similar up there. Unfortunately, under this regime, those "high earners" are spared of higher taxes in this country which makes absolutely no sense...

#2 -- that deduction is so small compared to other things, that really means almost nothing -- it is a big mis perseption on our side. For example, you pay $10k/yr in mortgage interest, you will get MAYBE a few hundred $$$ tax break...

#3 is really not important...
#4 -- I thought the sales tax is included in the price(displayed) up there. Therefore, "more expensive" goods already have taxes included. I may be wrong...

On the other hand -- ALL of the positives are a big plus and VERY important IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 02:21 AM   #16
BeMyWife330i
DIMA ZMEY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiprotein View Post
http://www.richw.org/dualcit/faq.html
This have some questions/answers
http://www.43things.com/things/view/...nadian-citizen
Canadian Citinzeship and Immigration Website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp
Udachi!!!

Chuvak spasiba
      12-03-2007, 02:24 AM   #17
BeMyWife330i
DIMA ZMEY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks.

In the downsides column -- #1 -- only 6% of the US employees earn >$98k, therefore, they are rarity. I assume it is same/similar up there. Unfortunately, under this regime, those "high earners" are spared of higher taxes in this country which makes absolutely no sense...

#2 -- that deduction is so small compared to other things, that really means almost nothing -- it is a big mis perseption on our side. For example, you pay $10k/yr in mortgage interest, you will get MAYBE a few hundred $$$ tax break...

#3 is really not important...
#4 -- I thought the sales tax is included in the price(displayed) up there. Therefore, "more expensive" goods already have taxes included. I may be wrong...

On the other hand -- ALL of the positives are a big plus and VERY important IMO.
i agree, all the positives are very important
      12-03-2007, 02:27 AM   #18
BeMyWife330i
DIMA ZMEY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeman View Post

6. Less poverty
thanks, i would like to hear more responses like that from Canadians, because most response are from people living in US
      12-03-2007, 05:13 PM   #19
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

I am Canadian permanent resident who just moved to USA (temporarily). I am planning to come back and become Canadian citizen soon (it is a two staged process - first you have to become a permanent resident and then after 5 years or so you become a citizen). You get health care and all the good stuff on the first stage. I generally agree with comments other Canadians already made, and just want to add a little:

1. Free health care is NOT a myth. Yes, you amy need to have a relationship with a doctor to make sure you do not have to stand in lines for too long and get the treatement you need soon enough, but this is not like you have to beg and steal (or bribe) to get treated. From my experience, it really works like it's supposed to. Yes, you may have to do some pushing if you want prompt attention with something small, but if you have an emergency or a big issue - you are all covered, it's all immediate, free and top class.

2. Cleanness and safety - oh, that's what I miss the most in DC. Having had my nose broken 4 times before I was 21, I never thought I would care about safety that much, but after I got married things changed. In Toronto I really appreciated being able to walk anywhere any time of the day/night without fear and having the streets around my house shampooed every night... The contrast is so big, that when I first came to DC I thought there was some parade or a fair that left all this garbage, but then I realized that that's how things are... (sorry, did not mean to hurt anyone's feelings).

3. Better infrastructure - yes, you can really see tax dollars working. I mean, even squirels in city parks look like they are getting free vitamin supplements from government. I liked that, although I realized I was paying for that through taxes. Not to turn this to politics, but I feel better paying for vitamins for fluffy animals than for some questionable armed conflicts.

4. Taxes - income taxes are bigger but not by large. About the same, actually. Sales tax is a lot bigger (13% now), but there is only 8% tax on services and no tax on essentials, such as food, rent etc.

5. higher prices - some say it does not matter, but it DOES. After canadian dollar went up, a bimmer in Canada is almost 50% (!!!) more expensive than the same car in states (no real european delivery either). Same is true for many other things, but mostly big items. Stuff like food is usually chaper.

6. Other things that you will not like in Canada (in random order):

banking services - getting a loan or credit card, especially for a small business is about 5 times more difficult and time consuming than in states.

car insurance (especially in Ontario) - mine was 4-5 times more expensive in Canada than the price I pay in States, and that's rather a rule than an exception.

air travel - Air Canada is pretty much a monopoly, so air travel is more expensive. Quality is generally better though - you get some sneks and personal entertainment units (where you can select your own news or TV shows to watch) even on local flights.

online shopping - not many canadian online stores. However, if you get a good customs brocker, you can buy everything in States. Having to run everything through customs and pay fees for all purchases from States is a pain in the butt, but there is way around it (legal).

Oh, yeah, if you have any problem with Asian, African, Russian, Jewish people etc or gay community - do not go to Canada. It is very multicultural and you have to appreciate cultural differences (not just tolerate them) to really enjoy this country.

hope this helps

Last edited by MaxL; 12-03-2007 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 06:14 PM   #20
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
I am not sure why your numerous friends have issues with Canadian system and my numerous friends (Toronto has 350k Serbs so I know many people up there...) tell me the opposite -- it is the greatest thing ever. Also, coming from Europe, I have many friends that live in England and France and they tell me the same story -- great things. Of course, there is always exception in every system, but the lies and misconseption that we hear about their healthcare is just ridiculous...
Even the poorest countries in (Eastern) Europe have this kind of system. In 1999 I took my girlfriend at the time (wife now) bact to my home land for the first time. She got really sick -- pollution, January weather... We called the doctor at 11 PM, he came to our home, examined he, gave her a shot, gave her a medicine and left with no penny asked. She was not a citizen not a relative...just a girlfrient at the time...
And that country has a GDP of an average county in the USA... ()

What we fail to understand is that the healthcare (and education) in this country are pure business. People die on the streets because Aetna or Cigna have to make their numbers. In a civilized society, that should not be the case -- healthcare should care (as the name applies) for its citizens and should definitely be Government regulated and provided.

Another example would be when I got very sick on one of my business trips to Taiwan. The doctor came to my hotel room on Sunday afternoon, examined me, left me a bag full of medicine and it cost me $15...

The key word is CARE...that we translate as MONEY...
Yes, healthcare is a business in this country - nothing is free. I also think we have the greatest healthcare the world has to offer. It may be expensive, and I'll get to that, but much of the medical R&D in the world happens right here in the good ole U S of A. And that costs money.

I work for my income, and my medical benefits. I don't want the US Gov't to take over my medical care, as they haven't shown any ability to manage anything else they run. The current trend in gov't is to privatize operations, because they've figured out private industry does a better job. Why would we reverse this? Look at Medicare - they've finally started to privatize parts of it. It's a little rocky, but it's getting better. Why socialize medicine when we're privatizing everything else?

I do agree that we need to work on the cost of healthcare. Look at where the costs are - malpractice insurance is a HUGE cost that is added to every doctor visit, every medical procedure, every piece of equipment sold. Fix tort law, then go to work on malpractice insurance. You'll remove HUGE amounts of overhead from the system.

Next, by fixing tort law, you'll free doctors to practice real medicine, and not "cover my ass and order every fucking test under the sun so when this dirt bag sues me I'm covered" medicine. Every year, hundreds of millions of dollars of worthless, meaningless test are ordered, just for the one in a billionth chance that it might uncover something, when simply following prescribed standards of care (which is what the europeans and canadians do already) would save this money and move more people through the system faster. This will not happen until we fix tort law.

After you do that, build urgent care clinics in the hospitals to off-load the work from the extremely expensive care of emergency room treatment. When you look at ED visits in urban hospitals, there is an astounding quantity of visits for prescription refills, sprained ankles, minor lacerations and minor illnesses. These clinics are starting to appear around the country, and where they are implemented and managed properly, they are saving hospitals millions of dollars per year in avoided ED costs.

Next, take a look at our social programs. This may be a little radical for the tree huggers out there, but require anyone on social assistance to take a drug test. I had to take one to get my job, to earn my money that pays the taxes the fund welfare. If you want my money, you can take a drug test too.

The money saved from this can go to fund national healthcare for kids under 18. Catch many illnesses/diseases/disorders early, and we can save a lot of money down the road. It's not the kids fault their parents don't have insurance. I'd actually be willing to pay 0.5% of my income every year to support this.

The problem with the Canadian system comes once you get sick. There is a serious lack of capacity of numerous common procedures. Waits can approach 6 months for sometihng we wouldn't wait 6 hours for here. You want that? Move to Canada. I'll pay for your u-haul.

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 06:20 PM   #21
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

As for getting more for your tax dollars? If Americans would grow some balls, and vote for someone besides a Democrat or Republican, we'd get something done. Careeer politicians aren't interested in doing anything productive, they want to make sure they don't make anyone mad so they can get elected again. We pay more than enough in taxes here - remember, we have a hell of a lot more people than Canada. Their land area is larger, their revenue base is smaller. How do they get it done? More competition for office. It seems to me you either perform our you're out.

Here in the states, the way to stay in office is to make no one mad. Problem with that is, you can't get much done if you try and make everyone happy. Put tighter term limits in place at all levels of gov't, eliminate career politicians, and you'll see more things getting done.

And give the president a damn line item veto to help eliminate the pet projects!!!!!!

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 06:43 PM   #22
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
... In a civilized society, that should not be the case -- healthcare should care (as the name applies) for its citizens and should definitely be Government regulated and provided........
At what level should everyone receive free healthcare? Should we employ the most agressive means possible for everyone?

Should the drunk on the street get a liver transplant, when there is a single mother of 3 on the same list right behind him?

Should the 400lb diabetic on welfare, who refuses to control his blood sugar, be given a corneal transplant when he's already showing symptoms of diabetes-induced blindness?

I think there needs to be a prescribed standard of care for all, but it's not the Cadillac (or BMW) care than most paying americans expect. At some point, it becomes pay to play, just like everything else. People make lifestyle choices, and they need to be held accountable for them. It's one thing if you want to pay - do whatever you want, I don't care. However, if you can't pay, you should realize this, and not expect the same care as me.

The person on welfare doesn't live in a $500k house (I hope), why should they expect a similar level of healthcare?

Appreciate 0