E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Anyone move from NY to Cali?

05-12-2009, 10:44 AM   #45
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy View Post
my buddy who has lived in the SF bay area for 20 years moved to philly last year. he hates the weather on the east coast and is moving back next year
And he lived in San Francisco ... For us living in SoCal moving to the Bay Area would feel the same as it did for your buddy moving to Philly
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #46
Synergy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
And he lived in San Francisco ... For us living in SoCal moving to the Bay Area would feel the same as it did for your buddy moving to Philly
socal is too hot for me. i get irritated as hell when it's past 80 lol
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 10:50 AM   #47
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
sorry if i thread jacked, i was just curious why the OP felt compelled to moved to a place governed by none other than the terminator.
You should all count yourselves lucky. Our whole country is governed by idiots who [allegedly] steal our money to cut their grass and fix their swimming pools. At least Arnie has a great big wad of money of his own to play with.

and it rains a lot.

Last edited by themetz; 05-12-2009 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: legal clarification
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 11:15 AM   #48
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
I was born and raised in the bay area besides going to college in socal. Since I have never lived in NY I cannot give you a fair comparison but I can tell you why I don't think I would want to move anywhere else. Maybe you will take some of my opinions/thoughts into consideration when/if you decide.

1) Weather is great in california. A lot more sunny days than NY
2) No snow meaning you don't have to worry about the weather damaging our cars. If you want snow you can drive a couple hours to the mountains during the winter.
3) You have the pacific ocean to the west so plenty of beaches along the coast depending on where you live
4) No hurricanes albeit there are earthquakes. I think hurricanes are more common that happens every season over there?
5) If you live in socal, you have Los Angeles the entertainment capital and San Diego. In the north you have San Francisco (not San Fran or Frisco).
6) California is a melting pot of different people with different ethnic backgrounds so you can experience all the different cultures
7) Only an hour flight to Las Vegas if you wanna get out of town to have some fun if you get bored of CA.
8) Grocery stores are plentiful everywhere you go. My cousin who lives in NYC tells me that there's no room for grocery stores? only farmers markets etc..?? is that true?

A couple of downsides to consider is that housing in general is overpriced although right now is a good time to buy according to a lot of experts out there b/c of the housing market bust. However I would think NY is expensive to live at too. Depending on where you live traffic can suck big time as well. However I think the positives outweight the negatives imo. But like I said I've never lived anywhere else.. as a matter of fact I've never even visited NY although I would like to in the near future.

Oh one more thing. I think the modded bimmers out here are hotter than those on the east coast. DATS RIGHT I SAID IT! haha.

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 11:57 AM   #49
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joonsup View Post
I was born and raised in the bay area besides going to college in socal. Since I have never lived in NY I cannot give you a fair comparison but I can tell you why I don't think I would want to move anywhere else. Maybe you will take some of my opinions/thoughts into consideration when/if you decide.

1) Weather is great in california. A lot more sunny days than NY
no argument there, weather here sucks, but we do have the changing seasons
2) No snow meaning you don't have to worry about the weather damaging our cars. If you want snow you can drive a couple hours to the mountains during the winter.
again, that's a weather issue, but fine, california owns NY in weather department
3) You have the pacific ocean to the west so plenty of beaches along the coast depending on where you live
yeah, plenty of beaches here too
4) No hurricanes albeit there are earthquakes. I think hurricanes are more common that happens every season over there?
there are no major hurricanes here
5) If you live in socal, you have Los Angeles the entertainment capital and San Diego. In the north you have San Francisco (not San Fran or Frisco).
NYC?
6) California is a melting pot of different people with different ethnic backgrounds so you can experience all the different cultures
i think i already mentioned this before but NY has more diversity than california ever will
7) Only an hour flight to Las Vegas if you wanna get out of town to have some fun if you get bored of CA.
i don't know of any people here who need to leave to have fun
8) Grocery stores are plentiful everywhere you go. My cousin who lives in NYC tells me that there's no room for grocery stores? only farmers markets etc..?? is that true?
lol....that's funny, you know you are talking about NYC right? not the cornfields of kansas

A couple of downsides to consider is that housing in general is overpriced although right now is a good time to buy according to a lot of experts out there b/c of the housing market bust. However I would think NY is expensive to live at too. Depending on where you live traffic can suck big time as well. However I think the positives outweight the negatives imo. But like I said I've never lived anywhere else.. as a matter of fact I've never even visited NY although I would like to in the near future.

housing is extremely expensive here....i don't think we have the traffic that the greater LA area experiences either though, because of our highly developed mass transit system

Oh one more thing. I think the modded bimmers out here are hotter than those on the east coast. DATS RIGHT I SAID IT! haha.

not looking to start a flame war, because honestly I've ever been to Cali either, but just providing some objective information regarding your implicit claims of NY
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 12:30 PM   #50
GAaaAR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

Quote:
not looking to start a flame war, because honestly I've ever been to Cali either, but just providing some objective information regarding your implicit claims of NY
+1 he said NYC doesn't have alot of Grocery Stores.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #51
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAaaAR View Post
I think what he meant was that it's easier to shop at a grocery store in California than in NYC. A large majority of people in NYC have to buy small amounts of groceries because they don't have cars and can on transport so much back to their apartments. What he may not realize is that most people who live in Manhattan eat out for just about every meal so it's not really an issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #52
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

You should move to Cali cuz Longtran lives here. Period
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #53
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAaaAR View Post
sorry that's just what i heard from my cousin who lives in manhattan. I still don't believe it which is why I brought it up so that someone could correct me
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 01:06 PM   #54
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
fair enough. I guess the op should take a vacation or two to california and experience it for himself to see which state fits his lifestyle more. I hope to visit NY in the near future b/c I've always wanted to go there and experiece everything NY has to offer
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #55
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomama69 View Post
I think what he meant was that it's easier to shop at a grocery store in California than in NYC. A large majority of people in NYC have to buy small amounts of groceries because they don't have cars and can on transport so much back to their apartments. What he may not realize is that most people who live in Manhattan eat out for just about every meal so it's not really an issue.
ahhh ok that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 01:21 PM   #56
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Back to the OP's question. If you are interested in sun and warm leather and money is not an issue, California is great. The climate is very different though depending on what part of the state you choose. LA and SD have great dry climates and are arid. LA is basically a desert surrounded by mountains. SF on the other hand is cooler but still nice.

As far as activities go, nothing in California has the energy of NYC or Long Island. Comparing LA to NYC, they both have diverse populations but LA is very spread out and everyone drives to get places. Mass transit is lacking vs. New York. It's nowhere near as sophisticated or interesting but once outside of the LA valley, it's very beautiful.

The Bay Area on the other hand is beautiful and sophisticated but even pricier than LA and maybe NYC. Traffic sucks in LA, SF and NYC.

Last, there is a major water shortage in California these days and the economy is terrible.

Thanks, Mike.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #57
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
I just moved from Boston, MA to Seattle, WA. Overall, I think I made the right move. Better weather, closer to home, nice twisties and elevations, best Chinese food in Vancouver.
welcome!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 01:38 PM   #58
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I live in Washington state and am currently living in NYC for school... I can tell you one thing... I miss the wide open roads, and somewhat the weather.. Though Washington weather isnt the best, its not as extreme compared to NY.. for instance the Summers are REALLY FUCKING hot here and winters are REALLY REALLY fucking cold here. At least Washington it rains all year round Lol.....
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #59
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
btw, I plan on moving back to the west coast after I graduate from college. But if I get a good job offer here, I will move out of the city and commute from Jersey or Long Island.
Appreciate 0