F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > F30 vs E60
proTUNING Freaks

10-01-2023, 09:42 AM   #1
mp3_in
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 50i

Arrow F30 vs E60

Hi,

My journey started with e46Ci and I only owned BMWs since,

My current drive is giving me head aches a lot (but rather no decent mechanic shops nearby) so I decided to either add car or replace my X6 (decently spec, downpipe provides 470HP and 690 nm of torque, crazy stuff but whole range is not usable because is very often breaks, as I said no decent mechanic to diagnose) and is an awesome, awesome driving machine, handling wise I think even better than my E46Ci, it is true, however, now I want something more regular less heavy and more simple,

I started looking at F10LCI which is 9/10 looking wise for me, and after 1 week I understood this is basically boat even with right suspension package and some even may say is no real BMW,

Then I looked up for E60 (I think is best design BMW ever created) pros& cons for me:
- Not very heavy, decent comfort (only with m-body considered)
- Hidraulic steering which is IMPORTANT
- N52 reliability, either 230 or 270 HP option with 110-140K miles, no n54 will be EVER considered
- TOP, legendary looks

Then I also added F30 into comparison, pros for me:
- Relatively newer
- N55 engine 300 HP, which I heard is very good option performance and still reliable
- Lighter, sportier

Money wise is not important as long as it goes up to $20K

Because is well known fact that with F10 BMW did ruined 5 series with 7 series underlying stuff and hence F30 received 5 series platform now, there is good chance half of forum people came from E60 to F30 looking for +- comfort, sporty drive and decent performance.

My question: how e60 compare to F30, do you regret upgrading, how it handle road inconsistency and how much fan it is in percentage if possible,
Im looking for an UNBIASED opinion, to be clear: please don't try to backup your choice, I also don't need arguments like it more economical or newer, Im interested in truth IS Only about driving experience, what did you find out in 1 week / 1 mo / 1 Year of ownership of F30 compared to E60,
How do you feel about electronic steering, etc.
Please Let me know, reliability wise as well, is very important I consider it to stay with me for the next 3-5 years or forever
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 05:41 PM   #2
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Pretty much every single thing you just asked for is subjective, so if you only want unbiased, “factual” comparisons you are pretty much out of luck.

The E60 is a great car. If I were buying one I would definitely get an N52. Even though the E60 is larger than the F30 it would, most likely, handle better than the F30. Personally, even though I like the E60 a lot, because of my size preference, I would probably be more inclined to get an F30 if I was choosing between the two, but there could be an E60 that might win me over. So, objectively, either the F30 335i or 340i is more powerful than an N52 E60. If I was getting an F30 I would get a 340i with the B58 rather than a 335i with the N55. In my mostly subjective opinion the B58 is a better motor. Objectively, the N55 is probably a little bit less reliable than the B58 has been, but I still don’t have a list of facts to post to back up that claim.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 10-01-2023 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
mp3_in7.50
      10-01-2023, 09:49 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

I've owned 2013 335i with N55 engines and found the vehicle to be terrific. Later, I purchased 2017 F36 with B58 engine.

I don't think you will be disappointed in N55 equipped F30.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 01:30 AM   #4
mp3_in
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Pretty much every single thing you just asked for is subjective, so if you only want unbiased, “factual” comparisons you are pretty much out of luck.

The E60 is a great car. If I were buying one I would definitely get an N52. Even though the E60 is larger than the F30 it would, most likely, handle better than the F30. Personally, even though I like the E60 a lot, because of my size preference, I would probably be more inclined to get an F30 if I was choosing between the two, but there could be an E60 that might win me over. So, objectively, either the F30 335i or 340i is more powerful than an N52 E60. If I was getting an F30 I would get a 340i with the B58 rather than a 335i with the N55. In my mostly subjective opinion the B58 is a better motor. Objectively, the N55 is probably a little bit less reliable than the B58 has been, but I still don’t have a list of facts to post to back up that claim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
I've owned 2013 335i with N55 engines and found the vehicle to be terrific. Later, I purchased 2017 F36 with B58 engine.

I don't think you will be disappointed in N55 equipped F30.

Your feedback is much appreciated!

I suppose is now comes to performance options that I can get in F30, mean looks and infotainment VS old bmw feeling steering and legendary looks,

I would like to see more replies if possible, I planning my buy on Dec/Jan and still have final drive before purchasing, altho, I'm sure I will miss or interpret wrong some feelings from those drives
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 10:08 AM   #5
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3_in View Post
Hi,

My journey started with e46Ci and I only owned BMWs since,

My current drive is giving me head aches a lot (but rather no decent mechanic shops nearby) so I decided to either add car or replace my X6 (decently spec, downpipe provides 470HP and 690 nm of torque, crazy stuff but whole range is not usable because is very often breaks, as I said no decent mechanic to diagnose) and is an awesome, awesome driving machine, handling wise I think even better than my E46Ci, it is true, however, now I want something more regular less heavy and more simple,

I started looking at F10LCI which is 9/10 looking wise for me, and after 1 week I understood this is basically boat even with right suspension package and some even may say is no real BMW,

Then I looked up for E60 (I think is best design BMW ever created) pros& cons for me:
- Not very heavy, decent comfort (only with m-body considered)
- Hidraulic steering which is IMPORTANT
- N52 reliability, either 230 or 270 HP option with 110-140K miles, no n54 will be EVER considered
- TOP, legendary looks

Then I also added F30 into comparison, pros for me:
- Relatively newer
- N55 engine 300 HP, which I heard is very good option performance and still reliable
- Lighter, sportier

Money wise is not important as long as it goes up to $20K

Because is well known fact that with F10 BMW did ruined 5 series with 7 series underlying stuff and hence F30 received 5 series platform now, there is good chance half of forum people came from E60 to F30 looking for +- comfort, sporty drive and decent performance.

My question: how e60 compare to F30, do you regret upgrading, how it handle road inconsistency and how much fan it is in percentage if possible,
Im looking for an UNBIASED opinion, to be clear: please don't try to backup your choice, I also don't need arguments like it more economical or newer, Im interested in truth IS Only about driving experience, what did you find out in 1 week / 1 mo / 1 Year of ownership of F30 compared to E60,
How do you feel about electronic steering, etc.
Please Let me know, reliability wise as well, is very important I consider it to stay with me for the next 3-5 years or forever
Very funny you posted this, back in 2019 I mistakenly downgraded from an E60 to an F30 because I though a newer BMW meant a better car. I had an '04 530i that was well sorted and modified exactly how I wanted it (it was bone stock when I got it, pics of it are in my profile), and sold it off for a 2016 328i M Sport. In short, the F30 felt like a Camry; completely disconnected, meh build quality and quality of interior, etc. I didn't feel like I was driving a BMW. I had some valve body issues to sort out on my E60, other than that I did a ton of typical M54 preventative repairs/upgrades and never once had any mechanical issues with it in the 7 years I owned that car. I regret selling it to this day. If I had to choose between an E60 and an F30 I'd pick the E60 every day of the week, it is hands down the better car between the two. I also agree that it's one of BMWs better designs, it's easily the best 5er to date.
Appreciate 2
danb19791892.50
mp3_in7.50
      10-02-2023, 12:29 PM   #6
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
F30 is a great platform with lots of aftermarket support. I don't know much about E60, but F30 can be modified to your liking without costing that much. Lots of options to upgrade brakes, suspension, sway bar, control arms, interior, tunes, etc. N55 is very reliable if you keep up on preventative maintenance.
Appreciate 2
sspade2464.50
mp3_in7.50
      10-02-2023, 01:44 PM   #7
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

FWIW never owned an E60 myself; but been out in plenty and a pal of mine has recently bought an E61 550i touring from Japan (very similar to this one that's sold: https://www.seymourpope.com/vehicle-...ordshire-u433/ )

I've owned plenty of E39s, an E65 (so cars around the E60 series etc) and also test drove a few F30s...

The F30 is newer, but that's it IMO. It is not as good as a well looked after/maintained E60 (more so the LCI); the E60 is plusher, better seats, better room and a much better ride (from factory)

Even though I have an F31; the F30s just felt smaller inside to me (doesn't help I'm not small); the F31 (like my previous E39 touring) is the right mix of 3 series but estate/wagon/touring style as the openness in the rear makes it feel that bit bigger inside etc

I'd absolutely have a well looked after example of an E60 over an F30 any day of the week; but I wouldn't have it over an F31 personally...

An E61 touring (again, well looked after and maintained) is still a bloody god car today even at the age they're at...

Last edited by danb1979; 10-02-2023 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
mp3_in7.50
      10-02-2023, 02:31 PM   #8
mp3_in
Enlisted Member
Rep

Wow! I suspected it but never saw it coming, so does that mean new BMW in general dead and it rather about luxury/comfort/tech/looks OMG, everything except old driving sheer feeling?

I know true story when a guy wanted m2, deliberately flew over to Germany, did test drive ON track, he said it was, sorry I do not want to offend anyone, rephrasing him: "not what I was expecting", he refused, he returned back to his country, bmw contacted him and offered m2 comp with discount, he was out of options so he agreed, they sent it by truck, he received it and says again is politely speaking not what he was looking for, and meanwhile I do not hear it from any car reviewer, it seems like they are corrupt and drivers cars extinct right after TopGear stopped releases (I adore and hate Clarkson) so what is the deal, only m5Cs & undenyibly m4 and newest m3& old 1m is good or is exaggeration and people just wanted Porsche but for some reason ordered bmw? Btw this guy indeed bought 992 right after m2, don't know what version and x6m and one more M don't know which one,

PS so whats the deal with new bmws? I feel like they *** us only because we once fell in love with some e30/e34/e46/e39/e60/e90,
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 02:44 PM   #9
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
The M5CS may be more powerful than an M2 Competition, but there’s absolutely no way it’s a better handing and driving car. If the M2 guy you’re talking about wasn’t satisfied with the M2 I think that says more about him than the car.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

10-02-2023, 03:04 PM   #10
mp3_in
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
The M5CS may be more powerful than an M2 Competition, but there’s absolutely no way it’s a better handing and driving car. If the M2 guy you’re talking about wasn’t satisfied with the M2 I think that says more about him than the car.
Most likely you are right, I want to believe that, I would personally choose M5cs which is cars benchmark for me, not limited to bmws, I don't like idea of having "daily for your daily, for your other daily"
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 09:35 AM   #11
mp3_in
Enlisted Member
Rep

Okay so I definitely moving with e60 mainly because hydraulic steering and epic looks

If up to 75K miles, after thoroughness of testing, I'll go with an N54 E60,

If more than 75K miles I want to go with N62 V8 because they have epic comfort seats&Hifi professional there as well as sports suspension,

Others that available here don't even offer sports suspension and since this is AN old car there are no point to go there and choose regular suspension

I'll update once I did it and 1 year post, I hate it when people post/forget 😁
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2023, 12:43 PM   #12
mp3_in
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hey guys so with the intent to leave my current X to some electrician so they can ***k with it themselves for weeks/months, I decided not to have any possible headaches connected to car ownership.

Today I test drove smocking looking E60 2009 in m body, black exterior white leather saloon, nothing special in options wise,
So I immediately noticed it is much of a downgrade compared to my X with dynamic adaptive suspension/active steering and professional Hifi with cooling comfort seats,
So Im glad BMW is not only marketing when talking about Big X models feel/ride.

I understand is not fair to compare pretty much base e60 to my X but anyway,
E60 has aftermarket mods like sway bars and springs from eibach, is VERY LOW, I don't wanna share photos before I buy it, for now I put initial couple hundreds just to reserve it and actual buy in ~10days,,

1. Steering - in slow maneureus X6 is WAY better
2. Performance - those I6 is only trying and kind of going but they rather trying, my X delivers twice as much feelings of flying (when it was in ideal shape)
3. Handling, during my 20 minute drive I can say e60 handles exactly like my X6 but I did not have a chance to get to 200 obviously... when sharp steering applied it immediately goes where you need it to be, without rolling, pure feelings from the steering is like e46Ci but with a little bit more disconnected feel but you still feel the road good, I have to live with it to get this car right,
Anyway big bonus is Im light again, I can feel that immediately, and I love moon roof, I just like it in e60 or even feel in love, otherwise roof is black.
4. Automatic gearbox is shit compared to my X6, it is very slow in figuring what I need car to do, anyway sport/manual would repair the situation, I don't like gearbox, also, I had some kicks when putting into D and R, I don't get it in my X, I don't know whether is OK for that e60, and is mine first concern, we agreed to have car to dealer before buy so they run every possible check on it, may be is normal for them, in driving it was perfect smooth when going thru gears
5. Engine, when on neutral is kind of NOT rough but not very smooth either, this is second I6 bmw I sat in and I can say when I was sitting in bmw with N55 it was almost like earth quake unpleasant feeling (a lot worser than this), may be they have something wrong with it, anyway we run complete checks on bmw dealer before buy, when accelerating engine is smooth and is not matter whether brief acceleration/steady acceleration, is decent for a daily
6. Comfort: I was SURPRISED how good comfort is eating bumps, etc, being on 19'' M wheels, IM SURPRISED, comfort wise (suspension) is like my X6 WHAT?? Not even having 1'' from arch to wheel - is even lower than my e46ci!! IM SURPRISED bmw bravo, 10/10
7. Brakes - X is a lot better, especially progressive feel as YOU want it, they are exactly the same feel as on e46Ci, on the e60, on the other hand, I don't know whether Im just have to use to it and slam that pedal harder but brakes are not as good, have no initial bite, they are very relaxed altho brakes calipers very big
7. Sex looking, is pure sex, good sound, too much sound for 230hrsprs

Passport:
BMW e60 2009 N52 230HRSPRS RWD, 160K km mileage (~110K miles real), operational engine hours 4200, hot countries package
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 12:49 PM   #13
mp3_in
Enlisted Member
Rep

I fell in love with that car and owner, working in power structure received an order to go to the position near frontline and takes that car with him.

So now Im stuck again and have to suffer with N63crap nearly everyday till someone figure whas wrong, or buy one e60 with +40hrsp and only 35K miles on it for $18Grand)) Im crazy man
downside is that it has black interior as my current car and I wanted some refresh

Attaching pic of e60 that I wanted to go with (its here in origional post)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0