E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Exotic / sports rental - Phoenix

12-07-2014, 12:09 AM   #1
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR4 | L405 SC SWB

I believe this is the right place to post this in the 'off-topic' section but please redirect if not...

Planning a trip to Sedona w/ the wife in Feb and while she will be enjoying the spa, I'm looking into possibly renting something fun for the long weekend.

Anyone have any experience w/ the independent rental companies and/or the top end Enterprise/Hertz options?

Prices for Lambos and F cars seem nutty. Looking more at Cayman, base 911, possibly R8 if the price is right. Waiting to hear back on a couple quotes but if they're completely crazy I'd consider a TT or Mustang GT. I just want something enjoy being kid free for the weekend!

It's basically only going to be 120 miles each way to the resort and if I'm lucky I'll have a chance to pop out for 20-30 miles while the wife gets a massage one day.

Any advice much appreciated.

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
I had a friend that rented a Honda S2000 there for a few days...he said he loved it. A Cayman/Boxster would be a good selection and probably wouldn't break the bank...
      12-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #3
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac
I had a friend that rented a Honda S2000 there for a few days...he said he loved it. A Cayman/Boxster would be a good selection and probably wouldn't break the bank...
Interesting - those are supposed to be great. Not sure if I would fit in one though at 6'5"

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by moabite View Post
Interesting - those are supposed to be great. Not sure if I would fit in one though at 6'5"

I'm 6'3" and couldn't fit in one. I would say it's a no-go.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 08:17 AM   #5
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I've rented from Hertz "premium" cars before. I got a C6 once for a road trip and also an A4 convertible (if I recall correctly). All in all it was a good experience. I have also rented from the "exotic" rental places and at least around here, they are all shady as fuck.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Rented a vett and mustangs before. Do not rent a stang because it's so big and drives like a boat. Vett was nicer but rather rent a cayman if price is right. I think I spent $250 per day for the vett with very long mileage.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 06:28 PM   #7
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
Rented a vett and mustangs before. Do not rent a stang because it's so big and drives like a boat. Vett was nicer but rather rent a cayman if price is right. I think I spent $250 per day for the vett with very long mileage.
Enterprise just got back to me, they want $250/day for 100mi/day on the Cayman. A bit steep considering I'm only going to drive it 300mi max but would have it 5 days... would be nice if they would do an adjusted rate for the lower miles but it doesn't sound like that's going to happen.

I hear you on the bit American boats - no thanks on a Mustang unless it was a 2015 GT.

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #8
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
$250 for cayman sounds pretty nice to me!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 09:19 AM   #9
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Last time I was in the Phoenix area I rented a C63 from Hertz "Dream Cars". I'm pretty sure their rates on that are similar to a cayman, if you care.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #10
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the replies guys. I can't justify the cash they want considering it's going to sit the majority of the trip. May go with a Mustang if they have any 2015 GTs.

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0