E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Homebrewing!

12-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Homebrewing!

Anyone here into brewing their own beer?

I started a few months ago and enjoy the hell out of it. I've enjoyed the beer I made but was a little worried others wouldn't like it. One of my good friends is quite the beer snob and said my pumpkin ale for the fall was on point. I'm now diving into more complicated recipes and want to make things a little more interesting.

I have quite a setup in the garage. Maybe we could all post pics here of our stuff. I'll start:
Attached Images

12-02-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

I love homebrewing, my dad got me into it when I was a teenager. I finally managed to perfect my Irish stout recipe not long ago but I've made some batches that were nearly undrinkable too.

Mississippi has grey homebrewing laws and it is either legal or illegal depending on who you talk to. Wine was illegal to make until a certain year when they allowed it, however homebrewing beer has never been legislated one way or the other.

Distilling is a little more defined. There are only two legal stills operating in the state, one at the Cathead Vodka distillery and one at MSU. When I was a kid a guy down the street was arrested for operating a still though. I suspect that lots of people do it out in the sticks.

I'll post my gear in a little bit. Right now I have a carboy full of pale ale and another of mead fermenting.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #3
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT

That's a very intricate design, child.

Now go and fetch daddy a beer

Go on, go ahead
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #4
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
I love homebrewing, my dad got me into it when I was a teenager. I finally managed to perfect my Irish stout recipe not long ago but I've made some batches that were nearly undrinkable too.

Mississippi has grey homebrewing laws and it is either legal or illegal depending on who you talk to. Wine was illegal to make until a certain year when they allowed it, however homebrewing beer has never been legislated one way or the other.

Distilling is a little more defined. There are only two legal stills operating in the state, one at the Cathead Vodka distillery and one at MSU. When I was a kid a guy down the street was arrested for operating a still though. I suspect that lots of people do it out in the sticks.

I'll post my gear in a little bit. Right now I have a carboy full of pale ale and another of mead fermenting.
Interesting. I am only allowed to brew a certain amount per year, but it's something crazy like 200 gallons I think. I do 5 gallon batches right now. I've only done maybe 10 different batches or so. I've done mostly extract, some partial mash. I bought some tools to build my own mash tun and the other pieces should be in this week. I'm ready to do all grain and get that ball rolling! Maybe I will brew more but as of right now a 5 gallon batch is enough.

I've added a temperature controller to that chest freezer and use it for my fermentation. Eventually I will get a smaller one for fermentation and use the one pictured to build a keezer!
      12-02-2014, 03:56 PM   #5
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

IF I can't make my own Hooch, I'm not wasting my time.

I was getting so much fruit off my plum tree that I looked into making some plum wine/sake. I ain't waiting 18 months for that shit to set up.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I doubt I'll be able to perfect what Belgian monks have been doing for hundreds and hundreds of years.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #7
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I doubt I'll be able to perfect what Belgian monks have been doing for hundreds and hundreds of years.
That's the spirit!
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2014, 07:26 PM   #8
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
That's the spirit!
All about picking your battles mate!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 01:05 PM   #9
grieverr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
+1!!

Two or three years ago, I expressed interest in homebrewing. I received as a present this "Mr. Beer" kit from Bed bath & Beyond (you already know this isn't going anywhere!). So I gave it a whack thinking I'd do that just to kinda see what the process would be, and then I'd step up to real brewing.
The batch tasted more like old apple juice to me. If you closed your eyes and thought hard, you could maybe find some beer flavor. It was also pretty flat.

That was my first and last attempt.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #10
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grieverr View Post
+1!!

Two or three years ago, I expressed interest in homebrewing. I received as a present this "Mr. Beer" kit from Bed bath & Beyond (you already know this isn't going anywhere!). So I gave it a whack thinking I'd do that just to kinda see what the process would be, and then I'd step up to real brewing.
The batch tasted more like old apple juice to me. If you closed your eyes and thought hard, you could maybe find some beer flavor. It was also pretty flat.

That was my first and last attempt.
The Mr. Beer kits are horrible. Mine actually tastes like beer.
      12-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #11
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

I have a few of my customers that are really into homebrewing. All of them have tried to get me into it as well, but I really don't need another expensive hobby since I have way too many of them as it is. Seems like it would be really interesting given that I have always enjoyed drinking all of their beers as well as helping them every so often, but to get all of the stuff to do it on my own just isn't worth the time.

It's interesting to see some of the laws from state to state that surround making your own alcohol of any kind.
Appreciate 0