E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Subaru WRX attempted test drive

06-03-2014, 11:00 PM   #23
inFamousKicks
Member.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

That just lets you discern the good salesmen from the bad.

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 06:19 AM   #24
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Don't give your hard earned cash to idiots who have no idea why they are in sales

Don't worry. Joke on the morons. I tell you never fails!

Was looking to get an SUV. Went to Rosenthal Land Rover Tyson's Corner and believe it or not they not only wouldn't let me test drive the range rover sport, they wouldn't let me just seat in one. The sales guy told me they didn't have anything in my range. Yes. Crazy. Bet I don't look like the clientele they usually deal with in Tysons. Just bunch of clueless snobs.

Drive over to Arlington Porsche. Not only was attended to right away, they let me test drive all the models to figure out if I wanted one. When I didn't quite like anything, salesman insisted I test drive 911 C4S PDK. The thing blew my mind. I was so instantly smitten I wanted to buy it on the spot. I even did the paperwork but at 125K and no back seat I wanted to go home sleep it over. In the end I decided I really wanted an SUV and maybe Ill go get that Porsche when its time to replace my 335.

Fast forward a week later I go to BMW Alexandria. Not really feeling anything and didn't really want old model SUVs about to be replaced and new X5 just looks too weird for my tastes. Since am already here and Land Rover Alexandria right down the street why not? Drive over, friendly nice service. They showed me everything from LR2 to Evoque to the big daddy RR. I didn't think I'd buy but the Sport just looked so gorgeous. So they give me their card ask if I can come back for a test drive. Over next two weeks Amy reached out to me asking if I was still interested, She even offered come pick me up from work! Wow. Yes. Ok I'll come. I was busy but found some time after work to make it just before close at 8pm. She shows me sport supercharged V8, asks if I want to test drive. Im kinda tired want to go home and its 8pm dealership is closing, but she says she will give me 10 minutes to drive if I want to.. so well ok we hop into it and off we go... down the highway and wow!! SOLD!! Gotta have this thing. So she tells me gun it or do whatever crazy antics you do am not scared type. So I plant the damn pedal and the thing just rockets and growls like you wouldn't believe. It really is all that. I ask about the price and its a whooping $118K but I can see where all the money went. So I say you know, honestly I want one. Just and Awesome SUV with no equal right now. Land Rover of Alexandria.
https://www.facebook.com/LRAexperien...e=1&permPage=1

Moral of the story is if you have to beg any dealer to spend your money walk away. If they look down on you, walk away, if they ignore you walk away. Far too many good dealerships that will not only appreciate your business but treat you with respect to waste time with these really pompous, arrogant and really useless dealers who judge you on sight. They probably don't sell nearly as many cars either.

Last edited by vase330; 06-07-2014 at 06:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 12:55 AM   #25
omegaSMP300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Macan S, Boxster GTS, R8 V10+

Hahah what an idiot. Oh well, not worth your time then.
2017 R8 V10 Plus, 2016 Boxster GTS, 2015 Macan S, 2015 V12 Vantage S - Pending Sale, 2013 911 C4S - Sold, 2012 V8 Vantage S - Sold, 2013 DB9 - Sold, 2011 997.2 Targa 4s - Sold, 2011 E90 335i M-Sport - Sold, 2013 981 Boxster S - Sold, 2006 E46 M3 - Sold, 2010 E60 M5 - Sold, 2006 E46 M3 - Sold, 2011.5 E90 M3 - Sold, 2006 325i - Sold, 2004 Mazda6 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 01:03 AM   #26
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

V6 Camaros should be illegal.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #27
-Wingman-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport

It's weird how dealerships work. Or at least, how salesman conduct business.

I was looking for a wrx/sti or an Evo X befire I got my 335i. The dealership I went to had all three cars on the lot. The sti I was interested was used and had over 30k miles on it. The SA never let me drive it, but when I asked about the BRAND NEW fully loaded Evo X, he didn't hesitate to let me drive it.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 04:21 PM   #28
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Next time you go to a dealership skip talking to the first dong that approaches you. Go to the sales manager, tell them what you are after and they will recommend a sales person. You will have no problems with test drives.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #29
JaguarLandRoverofTysons
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Range Rover Sport

Response to Vase330

Hi Vase330,
Jill from Rosenthal Jaguar Land Rover of Tysons here. We are so very sorry for your experience with us recently. With the high demand of Range Rover Sports, it is very often that we do not have any that are available for test drives and such. The ones that we do have on site are sold to someone and waiting for delivery. As I'm reading, this should have been explained to you A LOT better but I do want to state that that is no excuse for the customer service you received that day. We are however, very happy that you did purchase a Sport with Alexandria but hope that someday we can earn your trust back. Please let me know if there is anything we can do - feel free to email us at careteam@rosenthaljaguar.com
All the best,
Rosenthal Jaguar Land Rover of Tysons

Last edited by JaguarLandRoverofTysons; 06-09-2014 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 11:45 AM   #30
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post

Was looking to get an SUV. Went to Rosenthal Land Rover Tyson's Corner and believe it or not they not only wouldn't let me test drive the range rover sport, they wouldn't let me just seat in one. The sales guy told me they didn't have anything in my range. Yes. Crazy. Bet I don't look like the clientele they usually deal with in Tysons. Just bunch of clueless snobs.

Drive over to Arlington Porsche. Not only was attended to right away, they let me test drive all the models to figure out if I wanted one. When I didn't quite like anything, salesman insisted I test drive 911 C4S PDK. The thing blew my mind. I was so instantly smitten I wanted to buy it on the spot. I even did the paperwork but at 125K and no back seat I wanted to go home sleep it over. In the end I decided I really wanted an SUV and maybe Ill go get that Porsche when its time to replace my 335.

Fast forward a week later I go to BMW Alexandria. Not really feeling anything and didn't really want old model SUVs about to be replaced and new X5 just looks too weird for my tastes. Since am already here and Land Rover Alexandria right down the street why not? Drive over, friendly nice service. They showed me everything from LR2 to Evoque to the big daddy RR. I didn't think I'd buy but the Sport just looked so gorgeous. So they give me their card ask if I can come back for a test drive. Over next two weeks Amy reached out to me asking if I was still interested, She even offered come pick me up from work! Wow. Yes. Ok I'll come. I was busy but found some time after work to make it just before close at 8pm. She shows me sport supercharged V8, asks if I want to test drive. Im kinda tired want to go home and its 8pm dealership is closing, but she says she will give me 10 minutes to drive if I want to.. so well ok we hop into it and off we go... down the highway and wow!! SOLD!! Gotta have this thing. So she tells me gun it or do whatever crazy antics you do am not scared type. So I plant the damn pedal and the thing just rockets and growls like you wouldn't believe. It really is all that. I ask about the price and its a whooping $118K but I can see where all the money went. So I say you know, honestly I want one. Just and Awesome SUV with no equal right now. Land Rover of Alexandria.

Moral of the story is if you have to beg any dealer to spend your money walk away. If they look down on you, walk away, if they ignore you walk away. Far too many good dealerships that will not only appreciate your business but treat you with respect to waste time with these really pompous, arrogant and really useless dealers who judge you on sight. They probably don't sell nearly as many cars either.
That is a beautiful car! Sorry you had such trouble with the Tysons dealership but I'd imagine Alexandria is closer to you anyway than having to go out to Tysons from Arlington.

Also, as a follow up, my roommate was able to close a deal on a brand new 2015 A3 with Audi of Arlington. Sales guy was great, no pressure, and very helpful. Night and day difference from his experience with Subaru (and Lexus). I do wonder how often dealers lose a potential customer just solely on how they treat you.

Also, you'll see that someone from Rosenthal responded to your complaint with the service there haha. At least they took the time to politely respond.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #31
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaguarLandRoverofTysons View Post
Hi Vase330,
Jill from Rosenthal Jaguar Land Rover of Tysons here. We are so very sorry for your experience with us recently. With the high demand of Range Rover Sports, it is very often that we do not have any that are available for test drives and such. The ones that we do have on site are sold to someone and waiting for delivery. As I'm reading, this should have been explained to you A LOT better but I do want to state that that is no excuse for the customer service you received that day. We are however, very happy that you did purchase a Sport with Alexandria but hope that someday we can earn your trust back. Please let me know if there is anything we can do - feel free to email us at careteam@rosenthaljaguar.com
All the best,
Rosenthal Jaguar Land Rover of Tysons
on the quick response. Should probably also hold a meeting with the staff and have them explain your "situation" with your (lost) customers in the future. Good luck and I hope that vase330's experience didn't affect too many potential customers.
      06-09-2014, 12:47 PM   #32
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I was once denied a test drive for a 370Z because someone had rolled one on a test drive a few weeks earlier. It happens...

Let's be honest, the target demo for that car probably presents a bit of a hazard but I don't see why you couldn't test drive it with the associate in the car with you. I was just thrown the keys to a TSX and told to be back in a half hour when I was in the market but it comes down to the demo, again.

I have noticed that if I come on my lunch break from work (in a suit), it's a whole different ballgame than the weekends with shorts and sandals.

I think that if he thought your friend might buy the car that day he would probably have let you guys test drive it.

I went to Lotus (in shorts and t-shirt) to look at the Elise and they wouldn't let me test drive it but he did take me out for a ride and showed me their current stock. I called the next day and told him I would take the silver Exige and dropped off a check at lunch from work. He literally said "I have a very different impression of you today than I did on Saturday...". It's nothing new. Profiling is a part of the car buying game, unfortunately.
Same was fine to drive 458s and Gallardos but tried to drive an R8 when I had my explorer and they laughed [meanwhile I had a brioni suit on and patek watch] so probably more than a few of their used cars and when I whipped out my phone to load up my bank account and ask again they changed reallllll quick lmao needless to say I've been with bmw ever since

Quote:

I agree... I wouldn't have bought that R8 if they gave me 20% off due to principle needless to say Rockville audi/porsche is under new management
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #33
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

Did not know it got 28 MPG hwy, I always heard that gas MPG was terrible on these cars:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/06/10/2...ion/#continued
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 01:49 PM   #34
thomps
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Having shopped for an 03 Evo and an 04 STi right when they first hit US shores, I can tell you it probably has less to do with you and more to do with target demographics, as many here have suggested.

BMWs are great, we all know and love them, but the hype around them didn't start with movies about the import street racing scene. Evos and STis/WRXs are great performers, but they also attract a type of attention that most BMW, Audi, Mercedes dealers don't have to deal with. When I was younger, before I really came to my senses and began to respect cars, I was always trying to test drive stuff with no intention of buying, but I'd target the 5.0 Mustangs, WRXs, etc., while the "stuffy" atmosphere of luxury dealers generally intimidated me into thinking "look but don't touch." So, fair or unfair, a lot of salesmen have to act as a filter with respect to who they let test drive the performance-oriented cars on a lot otherwise full of economy cars.

These days, whenever I unfairly fall on the wrong side of the filter and get shut down, either by the Mitsus and Subies of the world who are trying to protect their sportier cars or by the luxury dealers of the world who don't think I fit the bill, I find that it helps to ask for their card before they offer it and tell them you might give them a ring after you have the chance to do some more research before making a purchase. That usually seems to remind them, "this is a potential sale about to walk off my lot."
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #35
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

It helps a lot if you go with your wife or even more family (kids, parents..). You look like you're seriously shopping for a car for the family, not getting a test drive because you're bored.

Also helps if you go through the dealer's inventory online, and take a printout - or take your ipad - and show the car salesman that you've come in to look at a particular car and tell him the inventory number of the car. Shows that you are really serious in your shopping, and the salesman will be a lot more inclined to spend time and give you a test drive, than if you were to just walk in and ask for a test drive of a certain model.

Yeah its kinda sad that you as the customer has to do these things to get the salesman's attention and not the other way 'round.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2014, 01:24 AM   #36
f10inSD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M-Sport Space Grey

Dealerships I tell you... I bought my first BMW (E60) when I was 27 and when the sales manager came out to talk to me he ignored me and began to speak to my father who I took along for advice.

I looked at him and said "Don't talk to him talk to me". In retrospect I should have just laid into the guy BUT I look really young for my age so he probably thought i was 19 years old.

When he ran some numbers and saw I had a decent amount of disposable income (no mortgage, huge debt, or kids at the time) he did change his tune. It sucks but this is the way people think sometimes... they judge a book by its cover... then a book by its checkbook.

Last edited by f10inSD; 06-24-2014 at 01:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 08:25 AM   #37
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i

Quote:

Land Rover and Porsche of Tysons are a bunch of A-holes. My buddy went there to get a cayenne (he was torn b/w a turbo and a GTS); they told him to pick between the two and he could not drive both. He saw a turbo he liked and asked them to drop the price by 2K and that he would pay cash and pick it up; the salesman refused. The next week he goes back there, works with another salesman and gets an S-hybrid. The original salesman literally begs him for the sale and my buddy flips him off.

I had the same experience at this dealer. I wanted to drive a diesel Cayenne but the salesman was so rude I walked out. The rover dealers are also equally snooty. I wanted to see a RR sport, but they were very condescending. I walked away and bought my X5.

Porsche of Arlington is another story; very friendly staff, great to work with.
19 Audi SQ5 (sold), 20 Audi S6 (sold),
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 08:39 AM   #38
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmPower View Post
Land Rover and Porsche of Tysons are a bunch of A-holes
Good to know I'll ignore whatever cars they have instock
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #39
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
How I do it? I dress like a casual hundredaire Not a T-shirt you only wear around the house, but not my Armani suit either, and walk in without letting the prices give you sticker shock and take everything at face value. When they piss you off, just call them out on it... I went to an Audi dealer, I admit, out of boredom, but was accosted by this guy with a thick Vietnamese accent when was I looking at a drop-top A5, and he was giving me all sorts of shit and I just said "OK straight up... If I was some bored snot-nosed jackass just wanting to go for a joyride, I wouldn't put in so much effort into trying to check out this exact car. Even if I was, this is still very unprofessional behavior."
[blah blah blah we need to keep it in top-notch condition blah blah]
"The hell's that supposed to mean? I took a shower this morning, these clothes are clean... If you need to clean out my fuckin' cooties then I'll hand this (takes out wallet and flashes $100 bill) to your car cleaning department. *starts walking towards front desk* I hope you realize that you're about to lose a potential sale because I'm asking *points* that lady for a salesperson that isn't a prejudicial bigot." That guy then became the biggest kiss-ass I've ever seen and was practically begging me to take the car out for a spin... It already had 30 miles on the odometer, so I knew even more that he was BS'ing me; I even verbally him with that and said "it's amazing that you give me so much trouble when it's already got double-digit miles on it... From your tonality I thought that this was some national treasure with zero miles!"
::THE MACHETE::

Last edited by NEFARIOUS; 06-24-2014 at 06:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 02:01 PM   #40
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

I think the bottom line here is that most sales people are morons.

Usually when I go to buy a car, I know a lot more about it than they do.
For any dealership to not let someone test drive car, save an exotic, is utterly ridiculous! Personally, I was able to get a ride in a McLaren MP4-12 Demo (I know that doesn't sound like a big deal, but it takes a $75K deposit to test drive it personally).
While I understand that there may be issues if you're looking at a $40K car and you're under 25 years old, anyone else should be a no brainer. You can't penalize everyone because one idiot flips a car.
If one dealer doesn't want to let you test drive a car, I'm sure there is another one that will.

Bottom line, they are car sales people. Not the sharpest tools in the shed. If they want to make a sale, they've got to realize people are going to want to test the car. There is a TON of competition out there for similar money.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #41
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

I had a salesperson ignore me and deny me test driving an SRT 8 Jeep back in 07 then my friend went there with his wife and the same guy gave them the keys as soon as he said they were interested in it.

The wife and I were denied test driving and even looking inside of a brand new 2012 5.0 because the dealer said the same crap, it's a $35k car and you can drive it when you buy it. I wanted to tell them we could buy that GT500 sitting on your floor that had been sitting there for months because no one could afford it.

Went to a BMW dealership and took a new 135i out for a test drive with the wife with no issues. Bought it from them that day, well a different one from another dealership.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 08:00 AM   #42
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
I had a salesperson ignore me and deny me test driving an SRT 8 Jeep back in 07 then my friend went there with his wife and the same guy gave them the keys as soon as he said they were interested in it.

The wife and I were denied test driving and even looking inside of a brand new 2012 5.0 because the dealer said the same crap, it's a $35k car and you can drive it when you buy it. I wanted to tell them we could buy that GT500 sitting on your floor that had been sitting there for months because no one could afford it.

Went to a BMW dealership and took a new 135i out for a test drive with the wife with no issues. Bought it from them that day, well a different one from another dealership.
If someone told me that in a Ford dealership, I'd probably start laughing in their face.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 10:21 PM   #43
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
it's probably not the dealer....it's probably you guys.

i've never had any problems test driving anything.......and yes i've tried all sorts of Subarus, Evos, and all the 'trendy young kids' cars...
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 07:42 AM   #44
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
it's probably not the dealer....it's probably you guys.

i've never had any problems test driving anything.......and yes i've tried all sorts of Subarus, Evos, and all the 'trendy young kids' cars...
Could be, or it could be that specific sales person was an idiot.

Leaning towards the latter.
Appreciate 0