E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Got arrested for Eluding...

07-18-2007, 12:55 PM   #1
BmwOwnsMe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325 xi

Got arrested for Eluding...

Here goes...I got arrested a month ago for eluding a police officer. I purchased a motorcycle from a guy but was waiting for him to get the title to actually take receipt of the bike. Well the guy said the title was coming yada yada yada... I made a bill of sale and we both signed it and I paid him the money. I just didnt want to take the bike because I couldnt put it anywhere and also it didnt have a
title.They came to my school and arrested me saying that I eluded a a police officer. I had no idea what they were talking about. They said they have a video of me on a motorcycle that was wearing a helmet and looked right at the camera? They got the plate and it came back to that guy. They said the owner of the bike said he sold me the bike and he gave them the bill of sale. I dont know whats going to happen now because I have prior misdemeanors when i was 20 yrs old. I hired a great attorney and now Im out on bail...20k. It sucks this happened and now Im facing 7 years. Any attorneys here with any advice?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i; 2015 X6, S1000RR

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwOwnsMe View Post
Here goes...I got arrested a month ago for eluding a police officer. I purchased a motorcycle from a guy but was waiting for him to get the title to actually take receipt of the bike. Well the guy said the title was coming yada yada yada... I made a bill of sale and we both signed it and I paid him the money. I just didnt want to take the bike because I couldnt put it anywhere and also it didnt have a
title.They came to my school and arrested me saying that I eluded a a police officer. I had no idea what they were talking about. They said they have a video of me on a motorcycle that was wearing a helmet and looked right at the camera? They got the plate and it came back to that guy. They said the owner of the bike said he sold me the bike and he gave them the bill of sale. I dont know whats going to happen now because I have prior misdemeanors when i was 20 yrs old. I hired a great attorney and now Im out on bail...20k. It sucks this happened and now Im facing 7 years. Any attorneys here with any advice?
good luck and I hope you get out of this one.

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 12:58 PM   #3
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailing Shark

Oh man...

So sorry.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 12:59 PM   #4
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Not an attorney, but a reciept (bill of sale) isn't enough. With no title transfer with DMV . . . That's why they went to him first. And if they happened to find teh bike on his property . . . did the bill of sale include teh helmet that matches the description?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 01:08 PM   #5
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

If it wasn't you, and you have a good attorney, I wouldn't sweat it.

More of a huge annoyance than anything.

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 01:13 PM   #6
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

So was it you on the bike or no? I'm guessing no, just wanted to verify that..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 01:15 PM   #7
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
They said they have a video of me on a motorcycle that was wearing a helmet and looked right at the camera?
Were you wearing a helmet too or just the bike?
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 01:16 PM   #8
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6AT

Quote:
I just didnt want to take the bike because I couldnt put it anywhere and also it didnt have a
title.
Good thing you didn't take the bike. Did they find the bike anywhere?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 01:25 PM   #9
BMXtreme
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E60 535i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Were you wearing a helmet too or just the bike?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 03:31 PM   #10
Waldorf
Black Opps field agent
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i M

Garage List
Seriously, man, I feel for you and it must be annoying but I have to admit it was a fun read.

I hope you get out of it.

The part that I don't understand is the 20K bail. That's nasty. Do you have any chance of getting that back?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 06:29 PM   #11
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

If they don't have proof of you on the bike they can't do shit. But a better question is why the heck you paid for a bike you couldn't take with you that day

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 09:54 PM   #12
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
You need an alibi....someone who can place you else where at the time of "eluding".

Also, did you put a date on the bill of sale? Is it the actual date you took possession of the motorcycle? If so you, this along with an eye witness alibi should get the charges dropped. How can you elude & evade on a vehicle you don't even own/have possession of? If police questioned the original owner on the specific times of any test drive or date/time of possession it should back up this theory.

Police may not have done a thorough enough investigation. They may have focused on you because of your prior arrest record or if your still on probation. Being on probation can be considered a reason to run. A prior record may drastically weaken your case if you pursue a civil suit for wrongful arrest.

Sorry to be the bearer of possible bad news.....your attorney should have already quizzed you on these kinds of details.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 10:20 PM   #13
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

I'm not sure I would be comfortable giving legal advice over a forum. LOL.

I would let your attorney handle it...hopefully he/she knows what they are doing.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 10:38 PM   #14
e90owner1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

7 years, essentially 1/10th your life wasted in jail over something you didnt do? talk about getting the shaft
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 01:29 AM   #15
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
So I'm confused... have you actually taken posession of the bike? From your story, it sounds like you have not. And where's the "eluding an officer" coming from? Is the video from a traffic cam? Dude explain the situation better.
If "you" had a helmet on it the video they claim to have, how do they know it was you and not someone else? It's their responsibility to prove that it was infact you operating the vehicle.
      07-19-2007, 01:57 AM   #16
335i4u2nv
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i e9O sL0w

maybe its all a lie??? im flagged
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 02:11 AM   #17
penny31
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m4 - Austin Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90owner1 View Post
7 years, essentially 1/10th your life wasted in jail over something you didnt do? talk about getting the shaft
sorry but ths comment just made me lmao!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 02:44 AM   #18
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Quote:
...I purchased a motorcycle from a guy but was waiting for him to get the title to actually take receipt of the bike. Well the guy said the title was coming yada yada yada... I made a bill of sale and we both signed it and I paid him the money. I just didnt want to take the bike because I couldnt put it anywhere and also it didnt have a title...
Purchasing a vehicle without securing the title is extremely risky. Why would you pay someone for something that you couldn't take possession of immediately? And even if you did have everything on the up-and-up, you still wouldn't have a place to store the bike, right? Because if you did, then you would have taken the bike the day you plopped down the cash.

Sounds like you might have made an impulse purchase, and nothing good has come out of it since. I wish you luck, and I hope the wanker who sold you the bike will fess up about what really happened so that you'll be off the hook.
      07-19-2007, 06:14 AM   #19
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Good luck. I guess something other than your BMW owns you. Maybe it'll be Bubba Owns You or Tiny Owns You, JK!

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 07:00 AM   #20
BmwOwnsMe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325 xi

Ok...I didnt have possession of the bike. I was still waiting for the title from the seller...stupid mistake. The police accused me of running from a police officer after they turned on the lights. I was at home the whole time studying for finals when this happened. My whole family will be there to testify in court. The cops came to my house and found no bike, no helmet or anything used that day to elude them. They are merely going by the seller's statement of selling me the bike, a bill of sale, and a video camera on the cop car that shows someone with a helmet evading the cops. They said that I looked right at the camera with my lid open? I dont even own a helmet yet! I just dont see how they could even distinguish a face in a helmet even with the lid opened. I may have to start selling some personal belongings now to afford all this nonsense. I knew to keep my mouth shut and requested my lawyer during the interrogation. We just have to wait and see, I guess. Thanks for all your advice and input guys...
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 07:49 AM   #21
561design
z4um Hooligan
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 3.0Si

You should try the OJ Simpson approach. Try to put on the alleged helmet. An if the helmet don't fit then they must acquit!
      07-19-2007, 07:59 AM   #22
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: a dilapidated ride

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 561design View Post
You should try the OJ Simpson approach. Try to put on the alleged helmet. An if the helmet don't fit then they must acquit!
haha...seriously, an allibi should suffice. place yourself at another place during the incident and you're off like a prom dressGL