E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Ebay sell dilemma. Be a douche or not?

03-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW R - Stg 2

Ebay sell dilemma. Be a douche or not?

Sup guys,

So I sold my sister's phone on Ebay last week: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...#ht_500wt_1156

Now the item was shipped yesterday and the funds are pending in my Paypal account. About an hour ago, the buyer contacted me saying:

"HI,

I bought this broken Iphone 4 from you in order to fix mine but I just found out that the phone is slightly different from my Iphone 4S so the parts are different and they will not fit into my phone. This is why the phone will be useless to me and I would like to ask you to cancel the transaction.

Thanks,

XXXX"

What should I do? Should I wait until I get the phone back from him and then I send him back the money - Paypal fees I had to pay, OR I tell him that "what is done is done" and he can resell it if he wants? I mean... the guy is pretty fucking dumb for not checking that out in the first place imo.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

I think it depends what you put in your ad. If you accepted returns I guess you would have to accept it.

I sold my rims on ebay and explicitly put no returns. Even messaged him when the sale went through that the sale was final. I sent them to the guy and he sent me an angry email saying the rims were "gray" instead of "silver". They were OEM BMW rims and I had shitload of images so not sure how he got confused what they looked like.

Anyways, I told him I would accept the rims and return him the refund if he pays for shipping (was about 200) and paid the paypal fees (10% i think), even though I said no returns whatsoever. He never messaged me back...
      03-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
first, a deal is a deal.

second, if you decided to cancel the transaction I would wait until you had the phone back in your hands.

third, I would politely ask that he refund your listing fees. The paypal fees will disappear once you refund him his part.

Edit: This whole thing could cost you one negative feedback in the end.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
I think it depends what you put in your ad. If you accepted returns I guess you would have to accept it.

I sold my rims on ebay and explicitly put no returns. Even messaged him when the sale went through that the sale was final. I sent them to the guy and he sent me an angry email saying the rims were "gray" instead of "silver". They were OEM BMW rims and I had shitload of images so not sure how he got confused what they looked like.

Anyways, I told him I would accept the rims and return him the refund if he pays for shipping (was about 200) and paid the paypal fees (10% i think), even though I said no returns whatsoever. He never messaged me back...
I do say "no returns" in the description...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Good luck:

http://reviews.ebay.com/PAYPAL-BIAS-...00000014643421

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2024206

http://www.ledfrog.com/blog/2011/08/...nter-problems/
      03-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iheLLraiseR View Post
Edit: This whole thing could cost you one negative feedback in the end.
This right here.

I'm an eBay Power Seller and I have thousands of feedback entries on my account. I only have one negative entry and it's from something exactly like this. Sold some parts, the buyer didn't verify that they would fit his car, I refused to refund when they wanted to return them and the jackass left me a butthurt retaliatory feedback entry claiming that I had scammed him. Ebay won't take them down usually even with overwhelming evidence so you're SOL if this happens.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

in these economic times, all i can say is buyer beware... you don't know how often i get a buck lifted from my change or buy something from the supermarket that's listed for x dollars only to see that it was x+1 on the receipt. when i drive past the poorer neighborhoods, makeshift swap meets ("garage sales") seem to be growing in popularity.

11 yrs later, the freedom tower isn't even open yet. nothing's getting better that quickly.

you did say no returns so you owe nothing. up to you if you want to buy his excuse.

Last edited by amanda hor$t; 03-03-2013 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
ScreaM
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

First rule when selling items second hand is to list them

-As is
-No returns

I say that's his problem he bought the wrong item, not yours.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
Kwando
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Not you're problem anymore. Understandable if you hadn't shipped the item yet. But a deal is a deal. He can resell it.

I'd be nice, apologize but say no.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #10
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

Seller always loses. You can try to make him keep it but he will win if he pushes. Wife sold WHITE gold earrings and put WHITE gold in title and description. Buyer wanted regular gold, opened dispute and we had to refund. Not a big financial loss but it sucks to know buyer has all the power. I don't know any business that could survive like this.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #11
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep

I just replied that I won't be refunding him. We'll see what happens!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #12
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

if he gets it, and files a complaint you are screwed, even if you(seller) are in the right, buyer always wins in ebay.
      03-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #13
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
if he gets it, and files a complaint you are screwed, even if you(seller) are in the right, buyer always wins in ebay.
Seller has email proof that the buyer bought the wrong item... surely that's enough for Paypal to keep the money in OP's account?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #14
ScreaM
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

OP make sure you keep this email from the seller as evidence. He made the mistake. You should not have to pay for it

"HI, I bought this broken Iphone 4 from you in order to fix mine but I just found out that the phone is slightly different from my Iphone 4S so the parts are different and they will not fit into my phone. This is why the phone will be useless to me and I would like to ask you to cancel the transaction.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #15
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreaM View Post
OP make sure you keep this email from the seller as evidence. He made the mistake. You should not have to pay for it

"HI, I bought this broken Iphone 4 from you in order to fix mine but I just found out that the phone is slightly different from my Iphone 4S so the parts are different and they will not fit into my phone. This is why the phone will be useless to me and I would like to ask you to cancel the transaction.
yeah I thought about the exact same thing. It is in my eBay inbox anyways!

Thanks for the advices guys !
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #16
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Once I bought a used ~$70 car part only to discover I won't need it. Since the seller hasn't shipped it yet (but the item was paid already), I've asked to cancel the transaction and offered $10 for his troubles, which he agreed. My point is, think of what will work for you, and proceed from there. One negative feedback wouldn't ruin my life, but I also try to be nice to people.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #17
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwando View Post
Not you're problem anymore. Understandable if you hadn't shipped the item yet. But a deal is a deal. He can resell it.

I'd be nice, apologize but say no.
Are we in Mad Max Thunderdome

Bust a deal and face the wheel

Now, when men get to fighting, it happens here! And it finishes here! Two men enter; one man leaves.

The Pendulum has swung the other way with Ebay/Paypal, in the past they use to give seller the benefit of the doubt, there use to be all kinds of stories about how a buyers got screwed where Seller would not honor the deal. You would hear how some sellers would ship the wrong item and then berate buyers for being idiots. It now appears they Ebay/Paypal are siding with the consumers like happen ins most transactions.

I have been using Ebay/PayPal since the beginning, grant it I do not do lots of business, and a lot less now, tend to use craigslist more these days since I do not want share the profits with Ebay/Paypal and the shipping companies.

Last edited by Maestro; 03-04-2013 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #18
N 5 4
Turbonator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335iS

Garage List
2012 BMW 335iS  [8.00]
It appears he purchased your iPhone 4 to use parts to fix his iPhone 4S. You listed and sold it as an iPhone 4. I didn't see your ad yet, but I'm willing to bet that your auction never mentioned anything about selling an iPhone 4 that can also be used for repairing an iPhone 4s.

Therefore, I see this as the buyers mistake for assuming parts from iPhone 4 is compatible with the iPhone 4S.

Edit: I just read the ad. You listed the part number MC603C, so I don't see ad deception from a buyers point of view. The buyer never did homework to determine part to part compatibility.
      03-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #19
Dkhan23
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

If he's willing to pay all the costs of returning it and PayPal costs then why not? If you sell a lot of shit on eBay then I would do it, he might write some review how you scammed him and bla bla bla and that might make other buyers sketchy buying from you.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #20
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Are we in Mad Max Thunderdome

Bust a deal and face the wheel

Now, when men get to fighting, it happens here! And it finishes here! Two men enter; one man leaves.

The Pendulum has swung the other way with Ebay/Paypal, in the past they use to give seller the benefit of the doubt, there use to be all kinds of stories about how a buyers got screwed where Seller would not honor the deal. You would hear how some sellers would ship the wrong item and then berate buyers for being idiots. It now appears they Ebay/Paypal are siding with the consumers like happen ins most transactions.

I have been using Ebay/PayPal since the beginning, grant it I do not do lots of business, and a lot less now, tend to use craigslist more these days since I do not want share the profits with Ebay/Paypal and the shipping companies.
Sellers aren't even allowed to leave negative feedback for consumers anymore. You can leave positive feedback or none at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #21
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

aaahhh misread n/m
      03-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #22
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

The transaction has been completed in my opinion. A lesson to the buyer to do his due diligence before pressing the 'buy' button.
Appreciate 0